AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > KanColle

Notices

Old 2018-02-22, 19:58   Link #21361
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
I managed to get all 4 of the European Combined Fleet.

I see how useful they are (strong, nope, useful, yeah)

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2018-02-22, 19:58   Link #21362
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Several people are doing it by now; Some simply checked her proportions with head sizes and others did a bit more. http://kancolle.wikia.com/wiki/Intrepid

Here is a screencap of the particular comment by Bio3729:
Images
Kancolle Wiki; Intrepid is fiine

It imho shows pretty well how Intrepid is totally fine.
If we were talking about realistic proportions, then maybe Intrepid is "fine".

The problem is that this isn't just a question of numbers and ratios, this is a question of the art style as a whole.

Intrepid's art style, and the choices involved - like the loose shirt, puffy shoulders, the neck flotation device, her pose in general, the contrast of her rigging, etc., all contribute to a particular style of character design that simply does not work with realistic proportions, since in this case everything about the art makes her head look small. Even if it's just an optical illusion, it still exists, and thus affects our perception of the art as a whole, and art is supposed to impress upon you the moment you see it.

Character art and design usually doesn't go for the realistic - see the "Heroic Proportions" used by superheroes, or say CLAMP's noodle people, which are not particularly realistic in terms of proportions, but do look good. This is one instance where adherence to "realistic" proportions is the primary mistake, instead of making art look good.

Hell, Intrepid's own art actually shows how the art itself goes a long way in justifying variable proportions for art: people only find her normal, undamaged art wrong, and yet nobody complains about her damaged art, which has the same visual proportions, because the choice of positioning and detail on her damaged art does not look wrong.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2018-02-22 at 20:11.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-23, 04:16   Link #21363
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Several people are doing it by now; Some simply checked her proportions with head sizes and others did a bit more. http://kancolle.wikia.com/wiki/Intrepid

Here is a screencap of the particular comment by Bio3729:
Images
Kancolle Wiki; Intrepid is fiine

It imho shows pretty well how Intrepid is totally fine.
Well, I saw that exact one. And yes, the traceover actually looks OK. I think the difference is that the traceover activates our memories of normal, real life humans, and letting us explicitly see the covered arms also helps.

Shibafu's picture activates our memory of anime humans. Even when drawn realistically, more anime characters are Japanese than are not, which means the realistic body proportion is less than a realistic Western form. Then we have all kinds of less realistic anime where among other things the heads are made proportionally even bigger. And then we have a lot of anime of adolescence and kids (bigger heads). And let's not even get into SD, which nevertheless contributes to our average feel of anime humans.

The end result is that the "average" anime human just has a large head to the body, and we are used to seeing that with anime humans. The moment Shibafu went for "realistic Western adult proportions", the head would be smaller than the average of what we are used to. My feeling would be that it would be within the acceptable region if he hadn't, as LoweGear pointed out, unfortunately comboed it with a bunch of things that made the head look smaller, thus pushing it over the fence.

It is an honest mistake in judgment, though, and doesn't deserve the hate he apparently received.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-23, 04:43   Link #21364
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Another of Shibabu's mistakes have been the rigging. Streamline it and it'd be better. He's at his best when he keep the ship parts at the bare minimum. Heck, just keep the flight deck, somehow turn the superstructure into a ammo pouch and I think it'd be better. His strength lies in the simplicity of his girls. Not overload them.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-23, 15:05   Link #21365
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
If we were talking about realistic proportions, then maybe Intrepid is "fine".

The problem is that this isn't just a question of numbers and ratios, this is a question of the art style as a whole.

Intrepid's art style, and the choices involved - like the loose shirt, puffy shoulders, the neck flotation device, her pose in general, the contrast of her rigging, etc., all contribute to a particular style of character design that simply does not work with realistic proportions, since in this case everything about the art makes her head look small. Even if it's just an optical illusion, it still exists, and thus affects our perception of the art as a whole, and art is supposed to impress upon you the moment you see it.

Character art and design usually doesn't go for the realistic - see the "Heroic Proportions" used by superheroes, or say CLAMP's noodle people, which are not particularly realistic in terms of proportions, but do look good. This is one instance where adherence to "realistic" proportions is the primary mistake, instead of making art look good.

Hell, Intrepid's own art actually shows how the art itself goes a long way in justifying variable proportions for art: people only find her normal, undamaged art wrong, and yet nobody complains about her damaged art, which has the same visual proportions, because the choice of positioning and detail on her damaged art does not look wrong.
imho he shouldn't have added the flak west piece (or whatever that is) - and that I would have preferred Yoshinor instead is also a no-brainer (Just ask Sheba, he had several Shibafu inclined discussions with me here already), but this particular case is mostly fine.
It is certainly not bad enough for such a huge shitstorm to take place.

The wiki proofs her proportions to be fine too btw:
Someone actually re-drew her face and hair and it turned out fine.

tbH giving her longer hair alone is enough too as yet another user showed.
(All of this can be seen on her english wiki page btw)

Edit:
E4N done, and it feels totally not worth it.The reason I did it on N instead of E is mainly that I suspect that the night personnel might be needed for Intrepdids K2, looking back at it I should have just sacrificed the one I already got.
Ressources before e4N:
F 208610
A 219611
S 152341
B 102098
Buckets: 913

the aftermath of fighting danganronpa hime:
F 174140
A 192178
S 134289
B 97450
Buckets: 799

There are several reasons this makes me rage... For example, why the hell did I have to put Iowa into my fleet to be able to beat the boss?
She freaking managed to outdamage both Yamato AND MusashiK2 until the point where I got a green T. - Note that all of them were sparkled with Musashi even getting the FS bonus.

Next thing I want to rant about is the new radar. Its kinda forcing me to do E5 on medium so I can do e6 on hard (and after e4 I'm not really sure I want that)
One thing is certain: I wouldn't have stayed here to farm Jervis at all.

In addition there is this entire Intrepid shitstorm thing that somehow managed to completely destroy my motivation. And no, I'm not talking about the discussions here, because they were kept civil. - On other platforms however... not so much. (And I didn't even post there, I lost my motivation just from reading all that shite).
gambier Bay on the other hand is pretty much another Hoshou to me - A ship I'll probably not even Kai, because it is simply not worth the time. (I got Hoshou when I started playing Kancolle and she is still just lv 12...)

Oh and btw I still think there was a Boss or Pre-Boss debuff somewhere on this map.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2018-02-23 at 21:42.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-24, 06:23   Link #21366
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

E5 done, went with Normal instead of Hard, the difference with the reward was fine with me as I expect some of the next Kagerou-class Kai-Ni might have a 12.7cm twin mount type-d kai2 and my main DD gun is the 10cm high angle mount+aafc. As the drop, I didn't got Hamanami but still got some interesting ship, a Naganami and Asakaze from the transport phase and Yamakaze, Agano, Hayashimo and Asashimo from the kill phase.

BTW equipping one special type 2 amphibious tank for the transport phase will help depletes the TP bar much faster.

Now, for E6 the question are if the difference between the SK Radar and the SK + SG Radar is worth it (probably) and what info will be out then.
Old 2018-02-25, 05:56   Link #21367
Kakurin
大佐

E4乙 done. Tried it on 甲 at first, but after 4 sorties I got annoyed by the 4 Nu-class node so I switched to 乙. Was not going to put up with that hassle for the action report.

Picked up Jervis while farming on 丁 and Daitō on my clearing runs.

Last dance was a joke with the RNG I was getting. LBA eliminated the Nu-class and Maya shot down all planes of Gambier Bay. On top of that I got a green T.

Quote:
There are several reasons this makes me rage... For example, why the hell did I have to put Iowa into my fleet to be able to beat the boss?
She freaking managed to outdamage both Yamato AND MusashiK2 until the point where I got a green T. - Note that all of them were sparkled with Musashi even getting the FS bonus.
I don't even see the need to use any of those three for 乙. Went with Nagato - Kongō - Haruna as my BBs.
Old 2018-02-25, 07:09   Link #21368
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin View Post
E4乙 done. Tried it on 甲 at first, but after 4 sorties I got annoyed by the 4 Nu-class node so I switched to 乙. Was not going to put up with that hassle for the action report.

Picked up Jervis while farming on 丁 and Daitō on my clearing runs.

Last dance was a joke with the RNG I was getting. LBA eliminated the Nu-class and Maya shot down all planes of Gambier Bay. On top of that I got a green T.

I don't even see the need to use any of those three for 乙. Went with Nagato - Kongō - Haruna as my BBs.
I managed to sink the danganronpa princess 3 times at max, despite the hotels having been in my fleet. Things only changed when I put Iowa in.
I only used Boss support for the last 3 runs though.

Apparently Iowas high accuracy is still worth more than the supposed damage bonus Kurita ships got.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2018-02-25, 07:13   Link #21369
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Event progress so far Hard - Normal - Hard - Easy - Normal.

Tempted by the radar, I am currently on the final part of E6 Hard and I CANT turn back because I dont feel redoing the two first parts over again since it reset if you dial down. Yes, this alone makes Tashkent farming problematic for those who wanted to do it through difficulty changing, so farming on Easy and clear on Normal or Hard will end up costly in time and resources. I am pretty much praying to the stars to somehow drop me Tashkent while attempting to clear.
Old 2018-02-25, 07:25   Link #21370
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
I managed to sink the danganronpa princess 3 times at max, despite the hotels having been in my fleet. Things only changed when I put Iowa in.
I only used Boss support for the last 3 runs though.

Apparently Iowas high accuracy is still worth more than the supposed damage bonus Kurita ships got.
Didn't use boss support at all. Sank her 7 times with one close fail at a red T (hence I had to tack on another sortie). 6 of which were S-ranks. Puzzled by your struggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Event progress so far Hard - Normal - Hard - Easy - Normal.

Tempted by the radar, I am currently on the final part of E6 Hard and I CANT turn back because I dont feel redoing the two first parts over again since it reset if you dial down. Yes, this alone makes Tashkent farming problematic for those who wanted to do it through difficulty changing, so farming on Easy and clear on Normal or Hard will end up costly in time and resources. I am pretty much praying to the stars to somehow drop me Tashkent while attempting to clear.
I was under the impression that progress is kept as well when you go down, or is it gimmicks only?
Old 2018-02-25, 07:30   Link #21371
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:

I was under the impression that progress is kept as well when you go down, or is it gimmicks only?
Redditers are saying that you lose part progress in E6, so if you change difficulty, you have to do AV-hime and BB-hime all over again. Which is why I am afraid to dial down.
Old 2018-02-25, 07:52   Link #21372
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Didn't use boss support at all. Sank her 7 times with one close fail at a red T (hence I had to tack on another sortie). 6 of which were S-ranks. Puzzled by your struggles.
Then we are two now because I got no idea why either.
Maybe it was the absence of an accuracy bonus for the hotels with their own guns.

What setup did you go with?
I went
3(F)BB 1CA 2CVL + 1CL 1FBB, 2CAV, 2 DD

Old 2018-02-25, 08:12   Link #21373
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
What setup did you go with?
I went
3(F)BB 1CA 2CVL + 1CL 1FBB, 2CAV, 2 DD
1st Fleet: Shōhō, Nagato, Kongō, Haruna, Maya, Kumano (CVL)
2nd Fleet: Noshiro, Takao, Shimakaze, Myōkō, Yukikaze, Ōi

Quote:
Maybe it was the absence of an accuracy bonus for the hotels with their own guns.
Doubt it. I was running Nagato with 2x 51cm and it was no problem.
Old 2018-02-25, 10:17   Link #21374
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I don't really understand that issue for 乙 either. I decided that 16k fuel was too much for just 2 kills worth in 甲 and as I'm doing 2 runs in 乙 it is pretty much smooth against the boss.

The fact there isn't any nu kai for the regular runs make that boss fight extremely trivial.
Old 2018-02-25, 11:56   Link #21375
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

E6 is giving me a whole new appreciation for Gangut, who I already liked a bit since her characterization in Ido's comics. She showed twice in those 4 times I made it to the boss. And when she did, she helped me clutch a S-rank victory out of certain A-rank with no boss kill.

And what did she do in her lastest appearance that scored me the clean kill that put me in Last Dance Zone?

Images

So here I am, with one less worry about E6H. Gangut glares at me from behind, "Not one step back. Comrade."
Old 2018-02-25, 14:48   Link #21376
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

What composition do you guy use for E6 ?
Old 2018-02-25, 15:52   Link #21377
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
What composition do you guy use for E6 ?
Part 1:

Shima

2DD 2FBB (preferably Pastas because they can launch seaplane fighters), 2CA (I used Nachi and Ashigara), 1 wild card. Either a CAV or Abukuma K2.

Seaplane fighters are important. So are those LBA ASW bombers to sweep node H.
You also want AAC, a Duck or a ghetto AACI like Hatsushimo.

My DDs were

Kasumi K2. 2 guns + Strike Force FCF
Teruzuki

Part 2:

Kurita

2CA 2FBB 2DD 1CAV.

All LBA are loaded for bombing the boss node.

You are going to need your best TCI ships like Myoukou and Yukikaze to have a chance to punch through the new BB-hime's retarded armor. I stayed up till 4AM to see it through.

PArt 3 (still in progress)

Same as part 1 as I am still on it.
Old 2018-02-25, 17:57   Link #21378
AC-Phoenix
Detective

So... how salty is e6H on the Tanaka-10 scale of saltiness??
Edit: Especially without ABKM because I totally forgot her being part of the Shima fleet and used her in Kurita..

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2018-02-25 at 18:11.
Old 2018-02-26, 00:18   Link #21379
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
So... how salty is e6H on the Tanaka-10 scale of saltiness??
Edit: Especially without ABKM because I totally forgot her being part of the Shima fleet and used her in Kurita..
Abukuma is not part of Shima fleet.
Old 2018-02-26, 05:15   Link #21380
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Abukuma is not part of Shima fleet.
Both wiki and KC3 say she is.
KC3 --> Command Center --> Showcase --> Winter 2018

Tags
browser game, dmm, ship girls