AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Old 2007-04-05, 23:37   Link #281
Super Ska Master

I think this will be a lot better than the manga. I looked at it today and it looked so bland. The anime is badass though.
Super Ska Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 00:05   Link #282
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Why didn't anyone enjoy the music on the show (aside from the OP/ED)? I found it so experimental, but yet so fitting to the setting...

I must be getting old.
I am getting old. Some of the music was okay, if muted, but the forest scene's music made me feel like I was back playing Doom (classic) on a '386 with a cheap soundcard.
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 00:09   Link #283
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
*Cough* This show needs its own subforum *cough*

Not because I'm terribly impressed with it (I'll get to my opinion of it in a sec), but because, since the first ep aired two days ago, this thread has had ten pages worth of replies.
I think mods would prefer to avoid such a method when it comes to deciding which new series gets its own sub-forum and whatnot.

Take a look at Asatte no Houkou, Kashimashi ~girl meets girl~, and Pumpkin Scissors. I'm pretty sure they've had somewhat similar number of posts when the first few episodes aired, and look how the discussion turned out at the end? Most episode threads hardly exceeded 3 pages.

Sure, the same could be said of Ouran, Negima?!, and even Death Note in regards to the number-of-posts-per-episode, but they have other things that are "discussed" - Ouran obviously had the *cute series* appeal that generated plenty of posts of fanarts/avatars/scans posts. Negama?! had the previous series' thread and manga thread to keep up some discussion/post counts, while Death Note had the morality discussion thread.

Now tell me, what does Claymore have to offer? (Besides the main plot and episodes)
It definitely doesnt look like material for image-spam, doesn't have a long history (only 10 volumes of manga has come out, no other animated/live version adaptations), nor does it have a (distinct) factor that can be discussed severly (morality, technology-blaber, etc).

At this point, Claymore just seem like another (better animated/drawn, slightly more mature) D.grayman to me (Not that its a bad thing since I enjoy the latter, and I didn't watch Berserk, so I can't make a comparision with that) - dark, medival-like world, some kind of monster, some kind of monster exterminator; A.k.a not-so-typical-shounen.

A rather bland/average first-episode doesn't help, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Maybe not, but that's not the point. The point is to prove to Kaioshin_Sama
-snip-
Right, its fine to want to change the way a person thinks and all, but stuff like these are best done via PM. If Kaioshin_Sama were to come back and reply to this, I think the common outcome would be that alot of off-topic discussion would take place. Thats the last thing mods want happening in any discussion threads.

Besides, you ain't no saint either when it comes to judging series; I would do a "change your thinking" post as well if I didn't know better. So seriously, bring your agenda to PMs and leave the thread to discussion on the anime.

Thanks.

/is just expressing my opinion on this particular discussion.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 02:52   Link #284
CrYsYs
殺害

From everyone's expectations of the anime and comments of the manga, I've watched episode one.

All I got to say is I finally found a new anime I'll actually stay with and finish :]

Looks and sounds like a great anime.
CrYsYs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 03:44   Link #285
Tsukiyomi
step closer to Amaterasu

Episode 1 of CLaymore is reminiscent of the opening of Vampire Hunter D
Old 2007-04-06, 05:57   Link #286
t3ck
Anime Freak

The first episode is so-so only. Average music and animation, kind of a dissapointment for me. The only thing I wish now is they follow the manga plot and not to add some meaningless fillers or change the story.
t3ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 06:29   Link #287
Honey_and_Cleaver

Why is it always, strong serious dead expresionist girls always get followed by a nerd. Funny thing theyre always suprised by the nerd's curiousity,sympathy and love to have their attention. Its repeating Elfen Lied. When the nerd does something out of the ordinary, theyre just ready to shock and aww. But at others, they give a low stare.Its complimenting the nerd a hundred times over. Shesh! i thought this anime was about Claire.

Animation and sound effects are awesome. Well i want to see the other Claymores.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 07:11   Link #288
Mentar
Banned

Okay, I'll bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
Now tell me, what does Claymore have to offer? (Besides the main plot and episodes)
It definitely doesnt look like material for image-spam, doesn't have a long history (only 10 volumes of manga has come out, no other animated/live version adaptations), nor does it have a (distinct) factor that can be discussed severly (morality, technology-blaber, etc).
Especially the latter is a very big claim (and IMHO a wrong one to boot). With all due respect, how can you feel even remotely competent to judge the contents and merits of a show after watching a single episode? Boggles my mind.

After one episode, there are a couple of points which you can realistically judge. Quality of the seiyuus, for example. And also the technical merits of a show (animation, character designs, music - and even all that can be misleading in ep1). But anything beyond that, particularly plot and characters of non-comedy shows, take at least 3 (if not 5-6) episodes before you can cast a credible judgement on. Whoever does that after 1 episode is completely oblivious.

Fans who know the story will definitely have alot to debate and speculate about - however, I can't go into details about what, because that would be some uber-spoiler, and I hate it when other people wave tasty "SPOILER!!! DON'T READ THIS UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING" buttons in front of me, continuously testing my self-control. It would be very helpful to make the Kanon-style distinction between spoiler-free episode threads and 1-2 "veteran discussion and speculation" threads where they can freely exchange their thoughts.

NoSanninWa, you seem to know at least part of the story. I believe it would be very helpful to have a seperate board, particularly for discussion of the implications of the revelations of the first "Miria" arc (vol5-6, if my memory serves me right). It definitely caused me to reevaluate everything which happened before, and I'll be looking for clues in the anime version leading up to it. How about it?

One final word: I perfectly understand the lukewarm reaction of many people here. When I first heard that we'd possibly do Claymore, I decided to check out the show, so I got myself the mangas and some raw scans. Flipping through the raws, I was hugely underwhelmed. Very strange, almost "ugly" character designs, lots of gore, and yet another stoic blonde chick wielding a big sword and exhibiting a stoic character. Yawn. And meh, looks like a gory slashfest (I don't like gore). Very very negative first impression.

Well, then the english mangas arrived, I had "gotten used" to the designs. And I got to realize that there was more to the show and the characters than hack'n slash. And once we went through the famous "flashback" arc, I was sold, hook and sinker. And finished the other mangas till 3am in the night. Biggest mood swing I ever had between first impression and final result
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 07:28   Link #289
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
[*]I do have one complaint about the anime though. Damn, it's dark, and I'm not talking about the atmosphere. It was annoying to have so many scenes obscured in darkness, making it very hard to discern what is actually happening.
I dont think that darkness took away much from the episode, if anything thing, it really added to the overall dark atmosphere you talk about. Also, we didn't need to see much of what was happening, we pretty much heard it all, IMO. Then again, it helped that I was in a totally dark room (but yes some scenes were still dark). For one, I like this because it captures that medieval fantasy feel; well apart from the metal BGMs that is - actually, those go to provide that necessary grit to some scenes, I think. Not to mention that the animation is top notched in terms of movement and detail, especially that paid to the backgrounds; credit of course going to Madhouse (while thanks to Eclipse for encoding).

One thing about what the second Yoma said to Clare (before it tore her a new navel sorry, couldn't resist that); it seems from Eclipse's translation that while the Claymore are made to be half-human, half-Yoma beings, they are not individually born that way, but made that way; from when they were originally humans?

Nice starting episode; poor Rika, I think they did a good job of introducing him and his agonies, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Last edited by Lost; 2007-04-06 at 07:44.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 07:49   Link #290
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Okay, I'll bite.

Especially the latter is a very big claim (and IMHO a wrong one to boot). With all due respect, how can you feel even remotely competent to judge the contents and merits of a show after watching a single episode? Boggles my mind.

After one episode, there are a couple of points which you can realistically judge. Quality of the seiyuus, for example. And also the technical merits of a show (animation, character designs, music - and even all that can be misleading in ep1). But anything beyond that, particularly plot and characters of non-comedy shows, take at least 3 (if not 5-6) episodes before you can cast a credible judgement on. Whoever does that after 1 episode is completely oblivious.

Fans who know the story will definitely have alot to debate and speculate about - however, I can't go into details about what, because that would be some uber-spoiler, and I hate it when other people wave tasty "SPOILER!!! DON'T READ THIS UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING" buttons in front of me, continuously testing my self-control. It would be very helpful to make the Kanon-style distinction between spoiler-free episode threads and 1-2 "veteran discussion and speculation" threads where they can freely exchange their thoughts.

NoSanninWa, you seem to know at least part of the story. I believe it would be very helpful to have a seperate board, particularly for discussion of the implications of the revelations of the first "Miria" arc (vol5-6, if my memory serves me right). It definitely caused me to reevaluate everything which happened before, and I'll be looking for clues in the anime version leading up to it. How about it?

One final word: I perfectly understand the lukewarm reaction of many people here. When I first heard that we'd possibly do Claymore, I decided to check out the show, so I got myself the mangas and some raw scans. Flipping through the raws, I was hugely underwhelmed. Very strange, almost "ugly" character designs, lots of gore, and yet another stoic blonde chick wielding a big sword and exhibiting a stoic character. Yawn. And meh, looks like a gory slashfest (I don't like gore). Very very negative first impression.

Well, then the english mangas arrived, I had "gotten used" to the designs. And I got to realize that there was more to the show and the characters than hack'n slash. And once we went through the famous "flashback" arc, I was sold, hook and sinker. And finished the other mangas till 3am in the night. Biggest mood swing I ever had between first impression and final result
Those are words which i exactly want to say. People firstly should stop thinking of themselves as some know-it-alls or prophets and just wait up and allow the whole plot to unravel itself. The manga is popular for a good reason and i can vouch for that. So i would hope that people dont use the first episode to speculate the whole series. This series has way much more than what meets the eye.

The manga is hasno exceptional artwork..but still..it has a very strong script and the character development(saying it the 1000th time) is simply brilliant. But obviously u cant expect them to give a headstart from ep 1. You have to wait for atleast 3 to 4 more episodes to see what Claymore is all about.
toxic_trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 08:32   Link #291
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
pretty conventionnal anime, dark "cold" hearted hero with extreme powers, sidekick tagging along yadda yadda there you have the basic set up for any overpowerd hero anime (aka hokuto no ken etc etc)
First 2 books have been released in france and they havent thrilled me yet. wasnt caught by surprise on any plots. stereotypical speach from the hero(ine).
Animationwise the show is good hope they can keep up the quality.
giving it a 3/10 on story cause author could have been slightly more ambitious.
giving it a 8/10 on animation quality.
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 08:41   Link #292
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey_and_Cleaver View Post
Why is it always, strong serious dead expresionist girls always get followed by a nerd. Funny thing theyre always suprised by the nerd's curiousity,sympathy and love to have their attention. Its repeating Elfen Lied. When the nerd does something out of the ordinary, theyre just ready to shock and aww. But at others, they give a low stare.Its complimenting the nerd a hundred times over. Shesh! i thought this anime was about Claire.

Animation and sound effects are awesome. Well i want to see the other Claymores.
Oh, don't worry. This show IS about Claire. I don't want to go into details, but if this is your complaint, you have nothing to worry about as the series move on. As far as the personality of the guy, what kind do you see Raki being anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
Well, then the english mangas arrived, I had "gotten used" to the designs. And I got to realize that there was more to the show and the characters than hack'n slash. And once we went through the famous "flashback" arc, I was sold, hook and sinker.
Funny, that's where I got really hooked into the manga too. It's the reason why I posted earlier to give the show maybe 5 episodes, depending on how fast they're covering the manga. Of course, given the attention spans of people today... that might be asking too much.
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 08:57   Link #293
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
oh goes i've just realized that the ED singer is a member of Be4U group (from DDR lol), no wonder it sounds soo great.

Lot of juices in the first eps @_@
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 09:10   Link #294
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
pretty conventionnal anime, dark "cold" hearted hero with extreme powers, sidekick tagging along yadda yadda there you have the basic set up for any overpowerd hero anime (aka hokuto no ken etc etc)
First 2 books have been released in france and they havent thrilled me yet. wasnt caught by surprise on any plots. stereotypical speach from the hero(ine).
Let me tell u something....never ever judge an anime or a manga without finishing it. Unless it is truly unbearable. The Claymore manga picks up only from the 3rd volume or so and the starting two are more of an introduction into a Claymore's life. So before u tell the mangaka to be ambitious and brand the Claymore story of all things a meagre 3/10, i would say finish the manga. U r doing nothing but just giving people a wrong idea about this series. If u havent read the manga fully, u r really in no position to give that rating

BTW..werent we going to have a *cough* current series thread *cough* on Claymore????
Old 2007-04-06, 10:01   Link #295
ritalman

Send a message via MSN to ritalman
No idea why Clare reminds me of Saber. Maybe the always serious/no feelings/ready to sacrifice her self.
Looking forward her development like I did with Saber.

This protuberent upper lip is really unusual though.
ritalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 10:43   Link #296
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Yeah, I agree that this needs a subforum. Maybe we have to suffer here like we did in the Kanon thread (to 1000 posts).
Old 2007-04-06, 10:55   Link #297
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_trance View Post
Let me tell u something....never ever judge an anime or a manga without finishing it. Unless it is truly unbearable. The Claymore manga picks up only from the 3rd volume or so and the starting two are more of an introduction into a Claymore's life. So before u tell the mangaka to be ambitious and brand the Claymore story of all things a meagre 3/10, i would say finish the manga. U r doing nothing but just giving people a wrong idea about this series. If u havent read the manga fully, u r really in no position to give that rating

BTW..werent we going to have a *cough* current series thread *cough* on Claymore????
the grade i gave were about the episode. i never judge a serie until episode 4+ on a 12~14 total serie or episode 7+ on a 24~26 serie.
for now nothing has impressed me storywise animation wise it s very good. i should have used cutting instead of author.
if i were talking about the manga i would have mention the missing chapter and a missing character that has yet to appear .
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 11:58   Link #298
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

ara..then my bad...but still...giving the rating to the storyline, on basis of episode 1...i think it is still strange.

Anyway, something that has been bothering me is why arent there many pics or scans for this series...it is an action one for gods sake..and filled with females over that, how come there arent any scans released????
Old 2007-04-06, 12:23   Link #299
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
Berserk truly shine when it get into Guts' past. Before that, some people just deemed as "Hokuto no Ken" gets a huge sword and meets "The Blood and The Flesh ", and I am speaking from personal experience because I got a lot of troubles to get my friends to read it because of that.

So I would not be so fast at judging the thing just from reading the two first volumes.

Otherwise, I would not have read "Lord of the Rings" beyond the "About the Hobbits" chapter.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 12:47   Link #300
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Yeah, I agree that this needs a subforum. Maybe we have to suffer here like we did in the Kanon thread (to 1000 posts).

I have given up trying to figure what shows get their own sub-forum. We had shows like Simoun, StaPoni and Strain, which comes close to 100 post/per avg. All three shows don't have sub-forums yet shows like AMG, Monster, Assate and pumpkin has maybe 20-30 post/ep and those shows have their own sub-forums.

I sometime think the mods use a dart board to determind which shows get its own sub-forum.

Back to topic:

I finally got to see the sub last night and i still find Raki's va very annoying. He is not particularly back but the va just doesn't fit the character very well. While i didn't particular mind the fast pace of the Ep1. I really wish they inlcuded Claire's battle with multi-demons, that was a great fight. Also anyone notice the tentacles in the op, I guess the Loli-tentacle is going to at least make a guess appreance in the anime.