AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-01-18, 06:33   Link #11641
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

The only thing I find laughable is that Medaka blames herself for the Professor's behavior and his death...it's just ridiculous, how much of a sue can one be? >_>

Even with all the Medaka stuff going on, Nienami and Kamome's interactions completely stole the show.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 08:18   Link #11642
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
The only thing I find laughable is that Medaka blames herself for the Professor's behavior and his death...it's just ridiculous, how much of a sue can one be? >_>

Even with all the Medaka stuff going on, Nienami and Kamome's interactions completely stole the show.
Actually Medaka's reaction to Fukurou isn't really odd. It's not uncommon for minors who are being abused by an older relative to blame themselves for it or try to justify their behaviour. It's the same principle.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.

Last edited by Endscape; 2013-01-18 at 08:39.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 08:25   Link #11643
silvercover
Romance Expert

looks like then, its impossible to hope for someone replacing medaka as MC(like zenkichi).
it was satisfying to see though, where nienami suddenly says something seriously relevant and then medaka fails.
silvercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 09:11   Link #11644
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Actually Medaka's reaction to Fukurou isn't really odd. It's not uncommon for minors who are being abused by an older relative to blame themselves for it or try to justify their behaviour. It's the same principle.

Stockholm's Syndrome at it's finest. Abuse = love.

I have to admit, the three-four pages of slow-mo Medaka death was really well done, with just a slight change each page until she fell. Akatsuki did well with the art there.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2013-01-18 at 16:48.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 09:59   Link #11645
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post

I have to admit, the three-four pages of slow-mo Medaka death was really done, with just a slight change each page until she fell. Akatsuki did well with the art there.
It's actually moments like those and Ajimu's wall of skill names and so on that make me love this manga so much for the art (art which I've always considered one of them best currently around).
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 11:09   Link #11646
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
*snip*
Yeah, I was talking about this chapter with a friend last night and he suggested this outcome too. It's probably what's going to happen.
Quote:
I have to admit, the three-four pages of slow-mo Medaka death was really done, with just a slight change each page until she fell. Akatsuki did well with the art there.
...You thought that was well done? Looked like space-filling to me.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 13:50   Link #11647
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Considering how ANshini'n might be still alive in one way or another, it is possible that Medaka died on purpose to meet her..

Oh yeah preventive:
Like it or not, the odds that Anshin'in is alive are high.
We even got a hint by last chapter's corpse:
Corpses are being shown in this Manga, yet Iihiko only showed them Anshinin's hair. Why showing someone hair to procve they are dea when you split their body?
Another reason I think its possible is that she ahs been a bodyless entity before.
Also note that one of her abilities was imortality. Thats a passive, and not something she could use' aagainst him.
She also met him before, and they, apparently, battled. Yet she had no wound, and was very alive, yet she knew that she would only last 15 seconds - coincidence? I think not : D
So yeah the chances are imho 50:50

As for Medake:
Well as stated above she might have wanted to meet Ajimu, or is really just pulling a fast one on him, having created 800 clones.
If not, well maybe Zenkichi will win this battle now.
Weak attacks are apparently the best way to win againstthis enemy him.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 14:54   Link #11648
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Considering how ANshini'n might be still alive in one way or another, it is possible that Medaka died on purpose to meet her..

Oh yeah preventive:
Like it or not, the odds that Anshin'in is alive are high.
We even got a hint by last chapter's corpse:
Corpses are being shown in this Manga, yet Iihiko only showed them Anshinin's hair. Why showing someone hair to procve they are dea when you split their body?
Another reason I think its possible is that she ahs been a bodyless entity before.
Also note that one of her abilities was imortality. Thats a passive, and not something she could use' aagainst him.
She also met him before, and they, apparently, battled. Yet she had no wound, and was very alive, yet she knew that she would only last 15 seconds - coincidence? I think not : D
So yeah the chances are imho 50:50\
I think you're reaching for straws. I agree that it's fairly likely that Ajimu will come back, but your "evidence" demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of what the whole point of Iihiko is. It doesn't matter if a skill is active or passive, because he just ignores them. Skills do not exist to him. Ajimu had a billion (literally!) other passive skills that also should have let her win, but none of them worked because Iihiko is beyond skills. Medaka explained this using the "piece of paper" analogy. Iihiko is just as immune to skills as the reader is. From his perspective, no skill is any more dangerous than a fictional character is to you. And if he wants to kill them he can just rip the page in half, regardless of what overpowered description they're given by the setting. Their world is a manga, and he doesn't live in it, therefore he's immune to all their fictional powers. But their words can still reach him, just like a fictional character's words can reach you. This is essentially analogous to "styles don't work on people who are angry". They haven't explained the precise conditions of why Iihiko is immune to skills (surely it has to do with their nature as "personalities"), but that's just how it is.

As for the lack of body, we saw her get cut in half. Unless Iihiko himself put her back together, there's nothing she can really do about that without skills. As for the lack of scars, they explained that she never confronted him directly, instead preferring to use pawns, like she used Zenkichi against Medaka. Fighting him herself was supposed to be a form of character development.

Now, this isn't to say that I think she's really dead, just that your reasoning is terrible and makes me think you aren't even reading the same series. She could easily have multiple bodies, and in fact she does. She is 700 million people after all, a fact which was very recently brought up by Medaka in a fight against someone with multiple bodies. Furthermore the very nature of styles is to "break the rules" regarding Iihiko and indeed the rest of the world. I would also come to the same 50:50 conclusion.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 15:30   Link #11649
Sol Falling

"That's not how you use a Style!"

Oh shit, haha. That was a pretty weighty statement in light of the observed consequences.

Medaka's death was not any trick or gambit; she seriously tried and she seriously failed. Because she tried to use a Style (i.e. "understanding", "sympathy") as a tool to attack somebody (well, not just "somebody", but rather Iihiko, after all), she ended up merely tossing her fictional meat against him, turning her body into a corpse. If "styles" can be said to be able to defeat Iihiko, perhaps that has nothing to do with fighting him at all.

In any case, precisely of Medaka's failure this time in defeating him, it is necessary for her to be redeemed. After all, "communication" has been the primary center for all of her character development. For her to end here, part way, would make no story at all.

On the other hand, it will come to someone else to bring her back somehow. Medaka's defeat to Iihiko, in this contest at least, has been total.

I really like the comparison/analogy that Iihiko is alike an actual reader in the manga world. Ajimu's trait might have been that she could perceive our world/the fictional nature of her reality, but to state that Iihiko's being is as if he were actually part of our reality is a level higher still. Indeed, there is a level of difference between being able to simply see/understand something, and actually being able to enact it as an expression of will.

This has been always coming up here and there since the beginning, but Medaka Box is seriously one of the most meta series I have ever seen.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 15:37   Link #11650
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Medaka's death was not any trick or gambit
How upset will you be when it is?
Old 2013-01-18, 16:14   Link #11651
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
How upset will you be when it is?
It won't be. Are you trying to provoke some sort of bet? If you really want to humiliate yourself, you can push your theories further, but the fact is that the idea that Medaka was not completely serious in her attack on Iihiko this time would go 100% against her characterization and the narration.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 16:29   Link #11652
Homura7

Since when Medaka does something stupid because she has a trick up her sleeve, have you already forgotten that time when she used Naze's syringues on herself?
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 16:56   Link #11653
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:

...You thought that was well done? Looked like space-filling to me.
Good art isn't always about making efficient use of space. It's about making an impact. Sure, he could have just taken her out with one page and had her fall instantly, but I feel the way it was done, with the slow-motion like effect, made for a greater impact. It's the difference between giving the impression that "Medaka lost." and "MEDAKA LOST?!!" Kind of like how they use slow-motion in movies to show something like that.
Old 2013-01-18, 17:57   Link #11654
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Somehow I know that Medaka is gonna come back somehow.
Old 2013-01-18, 18:08   Link #11655
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurusu-Shirudo View Post
Since when Medaka does something stupid because she has a trick up her sleeve, have you already forgotten that time when she used Naze's syringues on herself?
She's come a long way since then. Don't be disappointed if it turns out that it was a clone after all, that's all I'm saying.
Quote:
Good art isn't always about making efficient use of space. It's about making an impact.
Yeah and the impact it made on me was "I can't believed they wasted four pages on what was essentially the same image."
Old 2013-01-18, 18:24   Link #11656
Homura7

Quote:
She's come a long way since then. Don't be disappointed if it turns out that it was a clone after all, that's all I'm saying.
She can't learn Styles, have you already forgotten about this?

Well, of course she'll be back eventually, but it's gonna be hella interesting how will that happen.
Old 2013-01-18, 18:33   Link #11657
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurusu-Shirudo View Post
She can't learn Styles, have you already forgotten about this?
Who says she hasn't surpassed that limit already?
Old 2013-01-18, 19:50   Link #11658
Homura7

^Maybe because she already created her own style? Though not fully developed, that's it.
Old 2013-01-18, 20:12   Link #11659
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

If she understands Styles enough now so that she can create her own, there should be no reason why she couldn't copy others with The End.
Old 2013-01-18, 23:30   Link #11660
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Wouldn't Zenkichi be a perfect person to learn styles? After all, the main basis of them is being able to understand the human heart, something that Medaka has trouble grasping, but seems to be his biggest strength? I suppose the fact that he's just a Normal might rule him out...

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council