AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-02, 13:32   Link #141
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

White Day should be interesting.
Old 2009-09-02, 14:00   Link #142
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
White Day should be interesting.
Exactly! How would Kyon top Valentine's Day??

Should he?
Old 2009-09-02, 14:02   Link #143
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
Hosts?
Old 2009-09-02, 14:06   Link #144
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Make Haruhi a nervous wreck until the end of the day?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-09-02, 14:10   Link #145
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
I'm expecting White day to be covered in Novel 11, should that one ever see the light of day.
Old 2009-09-02, 21:46   Link #146
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
oh my lord that would be so good for novel 11 it would be hilarious.
Old 2009-09-02, 22:07   Link #147
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Of course, there is an outside possibility that Haruhi would simply RAGE over how her SOS Brigade has been deceiving her for so long; that might trump her interest in what they actually are.
Well it's not like the 3 of them ever said they "weren't" time travelers/aliens/espers.

And Kyon quite honestly does come clean to her about this fact. It's just that Haruhi consciously chose to ignore it.
Old 2009-09-02, 22:19   Link #148
Sho-tan
Seitenkan's Shota

Personally, I'm expecting Haruhi to do something huge and outlandish for April Fools.
Old 2009-09-03, 02:07   Link #149
OkamiNoKaze

I'm remembering the White Day episode of Haruhi-Chan, poor Mikuru
Old 2009-09-03, 05:26   Link #150
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

... Haruhi-chan covered White Day?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-09-03, 06:25   Link #151
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
... Haruhi-chan covered White Day?
I remember the Valentine's Day one where Haruhi, Yuki, Mikuru and Tsuruya made chocolates.
Old 2009-09-03, 06:30   Link #152
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

I'm aware of that one, as well as the host thing in the following episode. I just don't remember a White Day one.
Old 2009-09-03, 23:31   Link #153
orangejuicetang

... now you guys have really got me wanting to read a white day haruhi scenario.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
Old 2009-09-04, 01:23   Link #154
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
... I find it rather odd, then, for why Haruhi hasn't confessed much of anything towards Kyon. I'm not even sure if she's called him "friend", has she?

I misremembered the scene, clearly, but I misremembered it because, frankly, I find the handling of Haruhi and Kyon's relationship so hard to swallow at times. If Haruhi felt that it was the guy's job to make romantic confessions, then at least that would provide a believable reason for why she hasn't confessed anything to Kyon yet. I also personally prefer the idea of Kyon making the first move... because the general thrust of the novels and the anime is that Kyon's the one that has to change the status quo and get things happening.

I just have such a hard time imagining how a very strong-willed, always-makes-her-wishes-known girl like Haruhi could refrain for so long from making her romantic feelings clearly known to Kyon if...

1) She, in fact, has them.

2) She feels that it's Ok for her to make the first move.

Haruhi being a coward when it comes to romance just doesn't sit well with me; it's just so out-of-character for her given what she's like in every other area of life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldruined View Post
Spoiler for Novel 7 - Epilogue:

Haruhi has always hidden her embarrassment (regarding Kyon) with over-the-top theatrics. Post-"dream" in Melancholy, ending of Disappearance, the entire Valentine's Day scene... they're all about Haruhi acting more angry or annoyed or dismissive or forceful precisely because she doesn't want anyone to notice how embarrassed she really is.

Spoiler for Even Kyon knows this:
It's discussion like this that is why I'm amazed when people get so upset and combative when it is suggested that Haruhi is a tsundere. Of course she's tsundere. Both of the examples given above are textbook examples of tsundere behavior. Yes, she may be more complex than just a simple tsundere, but only when it has nothing to do with her relationship with Kyon. That part of her easily approaches 100% tsundere, as the above examples are hardly uncommon...
Old 2009-09-04, 02:29   Link #155
OkamiNoKaze

Oh it wasn't white day, I remember now, it was a Valentines episode, they had to dress like that to earn their chocolates from the girls.
Old 2009-09-04, 06:02   Link #156
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
Oh it wasn't white day, I remember now, it was a Valentines episode, they had to dress like that to earn their chocolates from the girls.
Oh yeah, when they give the chocolate and that makes Mikuru cry?
Old 2009-09-04, 06:05   Link #157
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
It's discussion like this that is why I'm amazed when people get so upset and combative when it is suggested that Haruhi is a tsundere. Of course she's tsundere. Both of the examples given above are textbook examples of tsundere behavior. Yes, she may be more complex than just a simple tsundere, but only when it has nothing to do with her relationship with Kyon. That part of her easily approaches 100% tsundere, as the above examples are hardly uncommon...
Where you see tsundere, I see genki girl. A genki girl probably wouldn't want to simply hand chocolates over to guys that she's friendly with either; she'd want to set up an elaborate game instead.

Haruhi's dialogue during the Valentine's Day chocolate giving doesn't strike me as tsundere at all. Tsunderes' typically verbalize their feelings much less than Haruhi did there. Haruhi's openness there, in fact, is much more like a genki girl, imo.

The fact that we see two entirely different tropes in the same story indicates that Haruhi is far more complex than either trope alone. It does a disservice to her character to simply call her a tsundere, or a genki girl, imo.

Anyway, part of the reason why I am, yes, pretty combative against the idea of Haruhi being labeled a tsundere is that I feel that the tsundere label itself is grossly overused through out anime as whole, and/or genuinely tsundere characters have become very overly common. To be brutally frank, tsunderes (or characters labeled that way) have become a dime a dozen. Haruhi's not a dime a dozen character.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-09-04 at 06:17.
Old 2009-09-04, 12:27   Link #158
typhonsentra

How aware do you think she is of her feelings towards him? Is it that she likes him or simply that she's annoyed seeing him flirting at this point? If she does knowingly like him, when do you think the switch came?
Old 2009-09-04, 12:31   Link #159
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
How aware do you think she is of her feelings towards him? Is it that she likes him or simply that she's annoyed seeing him flirting at this point? If she does knowingly like him, when do you think the switch came?
Some time during Melancholy. Or perhaps a little bit after it. At any rate, she definitely realized she liked him as more than just a friend before Boredom.
Old 2009-09-04, 12:35   Link #160
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Kyon is Haruhi's best friend... and has been almost from the beginning. Now, that's somewhat of a default condition (i.e. Haruhi doesn't have many friends, so it's not like Kyon got loads of competition), but it's still very important to Haruhi.

To what degree Haruhi has romantic feelings for Kyon... I don't know. She probably has some.

But the key for me, really, is that Kyon is her best friend. Romance or not, that's pretty important in and of itself. There's no girls that Haruhi is close to - Yuki and her barely talk, and Mikuru is, frankly, frequently just a plaything to Haruhi.

Kyon is the only person that Haruhi really, truly talks with.

That's why, like yourself, I liked Haruhi's very well-done reaction to Kyon trying to punch her in the latest Haruhi episode. Even for Haruhi, it has to really sting for your best friend (and very close to your only friend) to get really angry with you like that.

Tags
characters