AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think is behind the mystery?
There is a rational reason behind all of this. 140 74.87%
There is definitely something supernatural at hand. 47 25.13%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-05-08, 18:01   Link #301
Cogwheim
Former Immortal, Future:

Send a message via AIM to Cogwheim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimen Scythe
u're theory makes alot of sense...but wut about Rena? Where does she fit into all of this? Is she just one of Mion's accomplices in keeping the secret about the Dam Construction Project...?
According to ur theory, i also think that is y Tomitake-san was eliminated because he was talking too much about the Dam Construction incident...but was Oiishi just a simple investigator or is there more than meets the eye..? He was also probably on the Sonozaki "hit list" since he was also "talkin too much"...maybe...IMO

EDIT:
At one point, i had also considered that Keiichi was drugged by the doctor because he started getting paranoia right after the shot...when it started with the hit and run by the white van...but then my mind went blank and then i didnt kno how to buildup from that conclusion as good as u did...
I'd say that Rena and Mion aren't accomplices in this incident, per se--they're simply being used by the Director to perpetuate the myth of Oyashiro-sama. Furthermore, they were only trying to help Keiichi...

Tch. Now that I've read over this thread a little more, I'm beginning to see this whole mystery revolving around the second usage of a syringe upon Keiichi--and of course, the whole "mystery drug being something that induces the sensation of cicadas burrowing into your neck" thing is beginning to seem a little too farfetched. The idea that the Doctor's shot induced paranoia and hallucinations in Keiichi is far more sound, and the temporal aspects also seem to allign themselves nicely with Keiichi's incidences of abnormal behavior.

"Mii's grandma made them," eh? In reference to the ohagi, of course--and Rena made one of them as well. I speculate that since I haven't seen Mion's grandmother, she doesn't exist--Mion actually lives with the Doctor, and was told by the Doctor to give the ohagi to Keiichi, who was "feeling under the weather," as the Doctor would obviously know since he gave Keiichi "that shot" early that day. As I said earlier--Mion is innocently following the Doctor's orders (no pun intended) , although she has a vague idea of what is going on.

Rena innocently revives Keiichi after finding him passed out in the forest--and she innocently calls the Doctor over to care for him. Mion arrives, and attempts to put Keiichi in good spirits by playing around with him a little--so she plays the Punishment Game, which is actually drawing upon Keiichi with a marker, not injecting him with a vaccine or mystery drug. The Punishment Game is justified by the fact that Keiichi didn't do his "ohagi homework," and neglected to guess which of the ohagi A through E was prepared by Rena. So they whip out a marker and attempt to tag the poor kid....but he's already having hallucinations, so....he mistakes the marker for a syringe and goes berserk upon the two playful girls, beating them into a pulp with Satoshii's baseball bat. Then, coming up with a crazy conspiracy theory, Keiichi links the girls to the Sonozaki Yakuzas, and writes out his farewell note.

The mystery drug that the Doctor is injecting into certain townsfolk is probably just one hell of a hallucinogen, like an extreme dosage of Crystal Meth. Not that I'm giving up on the cicadas quite yet, though--perhaps in a bad acid-trip-esque turn of events, those injected with the mystery drug step outside and the landscape of their hearing is suffused with the sound of chirping cicadas--which is ubquitous during the Cotton Drifting Festival, since it takes place during the Summer. Thus, the predominant hallucination caused by the drug is of cicadas swarming around a victim and then burrowing into the victim's neck--in turn, the victim tries in vain to scratch the imaginary cicadas off, rupturing a major artery and bleeding to death in the process.

IF Oishi is on the Sonozaki hit-list, and it seems as if he would be, then why hasn't he been nicked-off yet? Perhaps the Director enjoys being pursued--many serial killers enjoy having arch-enemies who try to capture them. (Hannibal Lector comes to mind, as well as the BTK Killer)

[Heh...just wanted to point out that in episode 2 when Mion is playing that Clue-like game with the three cards revealing the Scene of the Crime, the Murderer, and the Murder Weapon, the Scene of the Murder she comes up with is "The Medical Office." I just happen to believe this is foreshadowing, that's all. Hell--it even lists the Weapon of Murder as being "Poison," which is probably a fairly accurate description of what the Doctor injected Keiichi with.]

(Pretend that was handwritten in an ornate, cursive fashion, perhaps using a fountain pen. So there you have it. My signature.)

Last edited by Cogwheim; 2006-05-08 at 18:16.
Cogwheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 18:20   Link #302
(o^^)-o*(x_x)*

Slightly off-topic but I still think Satoko looks like a young Alice
(o^^)-o*(x_x)* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 18:42   Link #303
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

There are many questions and theories that people have made. Here are some additional thoughts & comments for you to ponder about:

1. It seems that whomever has been doing the fansub translations used the word "The Director" for the Japanese word "kantoku." I would've used the word "The Manager" instead. Why? That way, the wording makes much more sense when we learn which homonym/synonym of the word "kantoku" Rena and Mion were using when we get to Tatarigoroshi-hen.

2. Surpringly, the doctor will become a major character as the story progresses. One person just said that why would he inject something for the common cold. Remember that this is 1983. Although I don't know how it was in other countries, but back then if you had a cold, the doctor would give you a vitamin shot for the common cold. But then again, that does not rule out the possibility that he may have used a different shot there. But why would he? Out of all the other patients that go there, why did he choose Keiichi? Moreso, why did he chose Keiichi with one that had an almost immediate effect?

3. The gun in Mion's holster has no meaning. You can definitely count on that. In fact, I never thought of it that way - I thought it was just a water pistol or a model gun which defines Mion's character. Besides, owning a firearm is practically illegal in Japan (only police officers, the SDF, and licensed hunters have legal means to own a gun). Yakuzas are known to own guns, but they are breaking the law - and showing it off makes a good reason for the police to land them in jail. Think about it.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 19:48   Link #304
Jellyfish Marine
ShizuxKino~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
2. Surpringly, the doctor will become a major character as the story progresses. One person just said that why would he inject something for the common cold. Remember that this is 1983. Although I don't know how it was in other countries, but back then if you had a cold, the doctor would give you a vitamin shot for the common cold. But then again, that does not rule out the possibility that he may have used a different shot there. But why would he? Out of all the other patients that go there, why did he choose Keiichi? Moreso, why did he chose Keiichi with one that had an almost immediate effect?
Well, this is my own experience. Two years ago, I had a severe cold to the point that I couldn't sit straight up or else I would immediately fall asleep without knowing it (it's not passing out, just a sudden asleep) Still, there was going to be a big exam that week, so my mom who is a nurse suggested we go to a hospital to receive a shot. I received a shot from a doctor there and another shot next day by mom. Thanks to that shot, I recovered in just a day. However, this kind of shot is reserved for a serious case like mine, not for a mild cold which your immunity system can make its solo.
My mom also told me that, in the old days, sometimes cold patients were given shot to boost the recovery. But thanks to the development of antibiotic, this method has become rare.
Jellyfish Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 19:56   Link #305
Cogwheim
Former Immortal, Future:

Send a message via AIM to Cogwheim
My thoughts on Rena:

Spoiler:

(Pretend that was handwritten in an ornate, cursive fashion, perhaps using a fountain pen. So there you have it. My signature.)
Cogwheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 20:07   Link #306
SvenTheSweeper
***** YES!! *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogwheim
I was watching Episode 3, and all of a sudden I was like "Uhh...there is no cure for the common cold. Why did the doctor give Keiichi a shot when all he had was a cold?"

The no-cure for the common cold is an attitude that is not as easily shared in asian countries like China, Taiwan, and Southeast Asia; this is due to the influence of traditionally-based treatments like herbal medicine, acupuncture, hydrotherapy, hot-cold therapy, cupping, moxibustion, sweating therapy, GuaSha, and folk medicine. Whether these cure or not is beyond the scope of this thread. The point is that they do something about it, as evidenced by the many centuries that these arts have been around.

My hypothesis (there’s probably more reasons, but I want to cover what I can speak best to):

If any of what I am going to say about Japan and the Japanese is wrong, please chime in.

These approaches exist in Japan, whether a Japanese person uses these approaches or not, I suspect they have influenced the Japanese culture over the centuries. By instilling a sense that something can be done about a cold, whether they believe it can cure a cold or only offer symptomatic relief until the body recovers. Not to imply all Japanese use traditional remedies.

A modern day Japanese can chose traditional-based treatments, antibiotics (which is inappropriate), over the counter drugs, vitamins, or what ever else. The point being is that they too like other asian cultures intervene in colds; because the process of creating traditional-based treatments have fostered a cold-is-treatable attitude.

There are other complex medical-societal things going on that I missed. Again, I want to cover what I can speak to the best.
------------------------------------------------

Interestingly, the common word for cold in Japanese (Kaze) and Chinese Mandarin (Feng), both mean wind. I thought it would be a cool trivia to know (for non-Japanese speakers), that when you are watching anime characters talking about catching a cold in subtitles, they are talking about catching wind.

-------------------------------------------------

When Keiichi visited the doctor for, what did he get injected with assuming there’s no drugging conspiracy?

Most Possible choices:
1) Antibiotics-Which is inappropriate, even though some doctors may do it to prevent treat or secondary bacterial infections. I know antibiotics are widely misused in China, and Southeast Asia. Don’t know about Japan, could it be the same there?
2) Vitamins and Minerals
3) Pain-killers
4) Injectable version of over-the-counter cold medicine.
5) Electrolytes

or

It maybe just another plot device to add to the mystery.

Last edited by SvenTheSweeper; 2006-05-08 at 21:59.
SvenTheSweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 20:11   Link #307
rocket
Senior and Demented

I’m surprised by how many folks are assuming the girls are a part of the cause. Do I feel too sorry for Rena? Am I charmed too much by Mion’s soft side? (*^_^*)

Scribble, FubaredByAnime,
I think we’re all on the exact same page.
Spoiler:

As for the rest, wow, there’s so many good ideas, and so much detail in the stories makes it really easy to get caught up!

I also realized I’m making a bunch of assumptions about the whole thing...
Spoiler:
rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 21:30   Link #308
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogwheim
My thoughts on Rena:

Spoiler:
Yes, that's one way to interpret the poem, you explained it very well and captured Rena's thought process spot on.

As for the identity of Oyashirosama (or if it even exists or not), that will probably remain one of the biggest mysteries throughout the story. In fact, figuring out the truth behind Oyashirosama is probably going to be the bottleneck for most people trying to solve the puzzle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket
and we’re not supposed to have the TIPS when watching the anime anyways!
Actually, as far as the anime is right now with the way it's being told, I'm pretty sure it'll be impossible to solve the mystery just by watching it. To have any chance of getting close to the hidden truth (as opposed to just watching the anime and getting the answer fed to you eventually), you'll need as much information as you can get.

As of now, the anime is more of a suspense horror rather than a mystery. That is, there aren't enough clues "as is" for you to "solve" for the truth (which will be revealed in the answer chapters) by yourself.

Even with the game, I'm betting less than 1% of all the game players could've predicted the truth revealed in Meakashi or Tsumihoroboshi (actually, Tsumihoroboshi probably doesn't even count anymore). And by Minagoroshi, forget prediction, you'd need to be a mind reader to foresee that kind of development (good thing(?) it won't be covered in the anime).

Quote:
Spoiler:
Very good, now, since I can't spoil the fun by saying "you're on the right track about _____" to guide you, I'll just say that you got some things nailed right on the head, but some misses as well. Remember those 4 things you listed, and see how they get played out in each chapter.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 22:11   Link #309
Judas
Victim of Fate

I'm one of the many people who registered here only to discuss about this great, mysterious, thrilling series ^-^ I agree to many theories that support a rational explanation since I thought about them as well, for example...
Spoiler:

However when I read one of the TIPS something crazy came to my mind:
Spoiler:
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 22:59   Link #310
Morgri

I was watching the intro of the show, and I noticed that Mion seems to have some kind of tatoo on her back... is that thing relevent to anything?
Morgri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 23:05   Link #311
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgri
I was watching the intro of the show, and I noticed that Mion seems to have some kind of tatoo on her back... is that thing relevent to anything?
Probably...
Old 2006-05-08, 23:12   Link #312
Paranoia833
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgri
Thinking about it, have we ever actually seen Mion's back? Wonder if she actually has that tatoo if it's some kind of metaphor?

Spoiler for not so much a spoiler as a hunch based on the TIPS thread:
Paranoia833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 00:09   Link #313
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia833
Spoiler for not so much a spoiler as a hunch based on the TIPS thread:
Doh' when I saw that I just assumed...
Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-09, 10:44   Link #314
Judas
Victim of Fate

New crazy thing that came to my mind:
Spoiler:
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 13:05   Link #315
(o^^)-o*(x_x)*

Quote:
Doh' when I saw that I just assumed...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Sorry if someone already posted something like this... Too lazy to read.
(o^^)-o*(x_x)* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 16:50   Link #316
Meowshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas
New crazy thing that came to my mind:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by (o^^)-o*(x_x)*
Spoiler:

Sorry if someone already posted something like this... Too lazy to read.
Spoiler:
Meowshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-11, 06:09   Link #317
Jellyfish Marine
ShizuxKino~*

Spoiler for About Mion-Shion:
Jellyfish Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-11, 13:21   Link #318
HMMaster

hm....is it me or the clothes that they are wearing is a bit too modern for 1983?

btw, anyone know what is this pic? saw it at several higurashi site:
HMMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-11, 13:25   Link #319
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMMaster
hm....is it me or the clothes that they are wearing is a bit too modern for 1983?

btw, anyone know what is this pic? saw it at several higurashi site:
That is a QRcode. QRcodes are a popular 2-dimensional barcode used predominately in Japan so that people can use with their camera-phones to look up info from their internet capable mobile phones. What you do is take a picture of that barcode with your camera-phone, and the phone recognizes the info stored in that barcode and does its thing (access a website, etc. etc.) It surely beats the hell out of punching in website address on the dialpad. If it doesn't work for you, then it's probably because QRcodes are a feature that is only found in our phones and is only used in Japan (then again, I wouldn't know so can someone outside of Japan confirm?).

The QRcode that you used in your post is the one that will make your mobile phone access the mobile phone version of the oyashirosama.com website.

Another cool feature for QRcodes is that because it is a matrix code, it is able to store vast amounts of data. So if you get a business card with a QRcode on it and take a picture of that with your camera-phone, you can store the info on that business card into your mobile phone without the tedious task of typing it in and storing it. Or if you have a QRcode reader, you can store it in your PDA (if your PDA has a camera, even better!), your Outlook address book, etc. etc.

So if you happen to come across Japanese magazines with that kind of picture, it is a QRcode. If you want tickets to L'Arc~en~Ciel, you can take a picture of that if it is written on the poster and it will redirect your phone to access the website to buy the tickets. If you find a magazine with an interesting article and if there is a QRcode next to it, it will take you to a website with more info. If you need to send a letter, you can take a picture of that QRcode and print it out and use that as a shipping label. Etc, etc.

Obviously, you can find more info about QRcodes on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_Code

And if you are interested, you can create your own QRcode here! http://www.qrcodemake.com/bookmark.php
The English one doesn't seem to be working, but the Japanese page is made alongside with the English one so it's fairly simple to figure it out.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-05-11 at 13:55.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-11, 15:11   Link #320
FubaredByAnime

I just love it when I go to a website that has info about a particular movie/show and they reveal some major plot point I shouldn't know yet. My eyes can read faster than my mind is able to digest the work SPOILER. First time was The Sixth Sense. Second time is this show. SUCKAGE! Fansubs have trained me too well.

Of course, I still don't know what's going on for 75% of the show, so I still can guess all that stuff. But it'll be like watching the Sixth Sense for the first time even though it feels like the second time.
FubaredByAnime is offline   Reply With Quote