AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-13, 19:17   Link #61
Blueknight78

why peoples are "so obssesed in calling it and comparing this show with "mecha show" when the hero is not a "mecha" but a tokusatsu "ultraman????, is really weird comparing it with a diferent type of show, this show is all about ultraman series with a "ultraman mc doing "ultraman things, like destroying the town while fighting the giant kaiju.

It was really funny and renew seeying the "main villian being the "cute innocent girl" airhead girl with silver hair (normally silver hair is for the good side not evil).

it's really fun so far and i really feel bad for the dead peoples, the sport girl was not that bad but well we need some casualities to show the "show weight", but still sad to see her die and the worst no one gonna remember her even her family was almost like she was "erased" from peoples memories basically only the most close peoples (family) have some twisted memories about her but was only until she was on middle school and they get a fake memorie of her dying and everything else of her currently life was erased.

Really sad only the "evil creep" girl and the main cast keep remembering about what is happening and are aware while everyone else no.
Old 2018-10-13, 19:46   Link #62
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

The ending attack was definitely Obari, given how much its style harkens back to the Brave series finishers complete with Sunrise sword pose.

And the series definitely still continues to have this old-school feeling to it with the minimal use of BGM, though at the same time it doesn't feel "dated" so to speak. And the fact that people who die in Kaiju attacks actually stay dead even if the city is rebuilt is definitely a nice twist on the post-aftermath rebuilding trope, and definitely raises the stakes.

Akane being the main antagonist was a surprise, and her motivation for this episode actually neatly explains why Tonkawa and the other students died: they were the ones who carelessly hit Akane's food last time by playing ball, so Akane punished them in the first Kaiju attack. It's petty, but it gives Akane a more solid motivation than most villains out there.

The series still feels undercooked in places, but it's getting more interesting now, and the nostalgic super robot tropes definitely helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
why peoples are "so obssesed in calling it and comparing this show with "mecha show" when the hero is not a "mecha" but a tokusatsu "ultraman????, is really weird comparing it with a diferent type of show, this show is all about ultraman series with a "ultraman mc doing "ultraman things, like destroying the town while fighting the giant kaiju.
Because so far, despite the fact that the Ultra series is the basis for Gridman, this anime definitely feels more "mecha show" than "Ultraman" even though we have someone growing into a giant Ultraman instead of riding a giant robot. To me, it's mainly because Gridman here moves in an acrobatic fashion more reminescent of Brave super robots than the slower, more deliberate pace of Ultraman, and that this Gridman does look more like a mecha than a man in a suit. It doesn't help that Gridman (both the original and here) will have mecha add-ons later, which definitely muddles that line.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 20:04   Link #63
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Because so far, despite the fact that the Ultra series is the basis for Gridman, this anime definitely feels more "mecha show" than "Ultraman" even though we have someone growing into a giant Ultraman instead of riding a giant robot. To me, it's mainly because Gridman here moves in an acrobatic fashion more reminescent of Brave super robots than the slower, more deliberate pace of Ultraman, and that this Gridman does look more like a mecha than a man in a suit. It doesn't help that Gridman (both the original and here) will have mecha add-ons later, which definitely muddles that line.
well remember in the "ultra time" was much more complicated to have super acrobatic "giant heroes" in the town specially in live action (tokusatsu shows) only the shows with "human size" or moments where the heroes goes human sizes they could be more "acrobatic" and even about the "suite" much more "modern" ultramans does use some "heavy armor suit and many others tokusatsus shows like cyber cops, metalder, machine man, jaspion and others shows does have heroes wearing "armors" which could easy look like "mechas", it's not new, just go back watch all the 60, 70 and 80 to early 90 series and you can easy see it's "not just something to see in mechas shows.

i Feel is more like peoples here grows more only watching animes or barelly watched old tokusatsu shows, or where only from the anime/manga/novel culture without or almost without having any knowledge about that other type of shows from the "otaku culture".
Old 2018-10-13, 20:34   Link #64
bercerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post

ิbecuase gridman is unique. it combine ultraman with sentai mech when fighting monster

he have small machines that "gattai" with him and turn into sentai super robot. which is element gridman took from 90's yuusha super robot. that have main humanoid robot as core and comebine with tank , driller , plane , etc. you can just look at gaogaigar for example.

gridman is ultraman genre but consider it as giant robot VS kaiju is not wrong also.

trigger even use superrobot style finisher move for gridcalibur end. i made compaison here.
Spoiler for with some compare to true superrobot:

Last edited by bercerus; 2018-10-13 at 20:47.
bercerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 20:51   Link #65
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bercerus View Post
ิbecuase gridman is unique. it combine ultraman with sentai mech when fighting monster

he have small machines that "gattai" with him and turn into sentai super robot. which is element gridman took from 90's yuusha super robot. that have main humanoid robot as core and comebine with tank , driller , plane , etc. you can just look at gaogaigar for example.

gridman is ultraman genre but consider it as giant robot VS kaiju is not wrong also.

trigger even use superrobot style finisher move for gridcalibur end. i made compaison here.
Spoiler for with some compare to true superrobot:
having "small machines" attaching" to the hero again is not new, go watch cyber cops or machine man where was common this to happen and even with that "having elements" don't turn it into something as you told "it is a ultraman" not a mecha" even if have elements still a ultraman gender in the end that is the point.

And last we are talking about "trigger" a company with great focus on "mecha", then it will be obvious which they will use they "mecha" skills on that serie aswell.
Old 2018-10-13, 21:06   Link #66
bercerus

cyber cops dont do "gattai" with machines into robot form unlike gridman does. they are metal heroes. (never watch machine man. cant tell)

gridman is hybrid genre. ultraman+sentai robot. its the truth whatever you like it or not. no one wrong if two guys said -gridman is ultraman or gridman is giant mecha. bcos gridman is both.

and not just audience. but anime team themselves also. and tsuburaya "let" trigger, a studio that excel in hyper action-super robot do it with super robot flavor in it as i compare above.

oh and incase you forgot. Thunder Jet + Twin Driller +god tank can gattai (w/o gridman) into zenon. which is pure sentai mech.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

speaking of cyber cops. ever watch mospeda? and yes. its a human gattai with machine and turn into robot form. is also consider mecha anime. while technically it just human wear power armor.

Last edited by bercerus; 2018-10-13 at 21:28.
Old 2018-10-13, 21:18   Link #67
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bercerus View Post
cyber cops is metal hero-wrong expample. and they dont "gattai" into giant super robot form unlike gridman (never watch machine man. cant tell)

gridman is hybrid genre. ultraman+sentai robot. its the truth whatever you like it or not. no one wrong if two guys said -gridman is ultraman or gridman is giant mecha. bcos gridman is both.

and not just audience. but anime team themselves also. and tsuburaya "let" trigger do it with super robot theme/flavor in it as i compare above.

YouTube
i was talking about "general tokusatsu shows" which are the base for gridman, my point is which this serie is not a "mecha serie" like all mecha animes, like gundam and others, because it is based on tokusatsu show and the hero is a tokusatso show which does have "elements" from others tokusatsu shows which does have "mecha element" like changeman, jaspion and others which does have "robots" but they still not "mecha" based shows they are tokusatso shows and the "mecha part" is not the main focus as mecha animes.

let be more "clear" it is not a mecha anime" it's a tokusatsu anime hybrid from 2 type of tokusatsu type of shows one with giant hero using some elements from series with giant robots which even that series can't be called "mecha series" since the heroes does fight outside the "robots too" no just robot fights.

you can compare it with others type of tokusatsu which does have giant robots elements but not "anime mechas like gundam, evangelion or franxx because they are a totally different type of show.

my problem is the sort of shows which peoples are comparing.

My big issue is based on most comments peoples could start to stop to see it as a "sentai/tokusatsu/ultraman" series and only see as a "anime mecha" like evangelion and others and it's make the serie loose it's "base form" because peoples only see/scream "mecha" on each episode because that is the only reference they want to see and focus.

Last edited by Blueknight78; 2018-10-13 at 21:32.
Blueknight78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 21:38   Link #68
bercerus

i got your point bro. -gridman is not mech genre per se.

but points that you need to be consider are
-gridman have a lot of sentai mech gene in it to begin with. it have 4 support machines and 3 gattai form and all of that is super robot form.
-and now is anime adaptation
-and anime is done by the group that known for being super robot gung-ho.
-and anime is actually have super robot taste/nod in it.

so if audience compare gridman anime to pure mecha anime. its natural thing. you cant avoid it. and also not a wrong/bad/inappropriate thing to do. since gridman anime already step out of tokusatsu line. as name said tokusatsu----highly special effect live action show. but now as anime, about giant transform-hero+super robot VS giant monster.

i have one interesting example about how blur and thin line between giant hero tokusatsu and mech show -EVANGELION.

i take that you watched NGE right? then i ask you to think back about how of NGE's episode pattern goes. around early-mid of whole story.

-a giant monster of the week appear. and it will show-off its gimmick by go rampage
-military org. will step in first and try to stop it with conventional means. but no avail.
-and giant hero will arrive to fight monster as last resort of humanity.
-while both giants fighting. they will rumble down whole city to ruin.
-giant hero have time limit. ultraman have 3mins to operate in earth atmosphere. eva can last few minutes if unplug.
-and giant hero is not a mechanical being but a life form
-best of all anno himself is a fan of classic tokusatsu. which inspired why he done all that above. and also why he directed shin godzilla.

see how similarity between NGE and ultraman? but as you said above. we all consider NGE as mecha anime, even you yourself. while NGE itself is actually ultraman show thats done by draw-animation. if NGE done by life action. it will turn into giant hero tokutastu like ultraman instantly.

and gridman anime is also like that. giant hero+super robot done in anime form. so its natural that this show will get compare to pure mech anime.

Last edited by bercerus; 2018-10-13 at 23:16.
Old 2018-10-13, 22:35   Link #69
Korol

Assist Weapons might been cool like the Original Series God Tank God Drill and God Jet and the Dyna Dragon.
Korol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 23:32   Link #70
Chosen_Hero

(Finishes watching episode 2)

Yes, yes, yes, yes yes, yes, yes, yes ,yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yessu, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes yes yes, si, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes,YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES,YES, YES, YES, ALL OF MY YES TO THIS SERIES.

I don't care if Trigger fuck up by the end, this anime alongside Index s3 is my favorite anime of the season. It has been a long while since I have been this hyped. Now all I need is an anime adaptation of the MMPR comic that is currently releasing (seriously, that shit is way too good)... Yes, just yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Why though? PR is essentially just a mesh of Super-Robot tropes with an added grounding and made into live-action movie. 70% of PR's charm is because it’s live action and Del Toro did a good job making a believable massive scale of lumbering robots and monsters. The plot itself is your standard Super-Robot fare where the protag-robots are facing waves of alien-kaijus and partner-synchronization. Making PR into anime will rid of most of its charm, especially the massive scale of the Jaeger & Kaiju fights that we experienced in the movie. Gridman in this episode is capable of doing acrobatic stunts like somersault and flying kick. Replace Gridman with slow-moving Jaeger and the fight won’t be as impressive. PR needs to stay live-action where it belongs.
D... Do I really need a reason for wanting to see more shows about giant robots/mechs and kaiju fighting?

Last edited by Chosen_Hero; 2018-10-13 at 23:44.
Chosen_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 23:53   Link #71
akumaten

That Akane chick is CRAZY! The previous one just caused network damange, this bitch bring in the entire real world.

And this ladies and gentlemen, shit like this happens if you don't fight in the digital world.
akumaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 23:58   Link #72
Wandering Soul

Akane being the main villian so far is a neat twist for me. It was genuinely surprising and she really pulls off the whole cute, but evil thing. The twist also explains why those two girls were killed off, though her reasons are real petty.

Right now I'm mostly questioning the very nature of the city the cast lives in.
Old 2018-10-14, 00:09   Link #73
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
D... Do I really need a reason for wanting to see more shows about giant robots/mechs and kaiju fighting?
No, but resources are limited. If I have to choose, I'd rather have anime-studios make mecha-series other than PR because the anime will only be a downgrade to the live-action movies.
Old 2018-10-14, 00:34   Link #74
Blueknight78

@bercerus that is the thing, most mechas shows animes where exactly inspired by tokusatus shows which where the most old shows, them is really more logical to go on the true source of inspiration.

and this show not "only have mecha anime things but also tokusatsu things, like you told and more.

even the villian girl "is not full new", her archtype of "crazy" villian alread happened before, the machine man show was with a crazy villian which wanted to make "childrens sad" because he had a sort of "magical statue which give him "gems" each time he make kids "cry" and even the way the monsters are created are very tokusatsu, the battle before the sword and first battle was all tokusatsu.

the point is more like "japanese shows" specially the ones scy-fi or with aliens does have many "similar things because they are what japaneses tropes which they love to use in they shows, that is why many series where almost a "copy of someone else, because many cliches are the "basic" for make some sort of shows.

i started my "childhood" with japanese tokusatsus, only later which i got to animes, most of my childhood was , changeman, jaspion, ultra seven, ultra men, spectreman, jyraia, jiban, cybercops, lion man, metalder, kamen rider, go go five, until later 90 to 2000 when i stopped to watch tokusatus and started to focus on animes only, i started with zillion, then dragon ball, fly, pokemon, digimon, samurai x, saint seya them after that i ended full going anime and watched thousand of them not all.

Evangellion i don't recall if i watched it to be fair i never was too much fan of sci-fi mecha animes, i watched some few really old ones them didn't liked and focused on the "shounen" like ones more only really later 2000+ which i started to watch back few anime mechas because i'm really still not a big fan of that anime gender then normally i only watch few of them if i really feel it can attract me.
Old 2018-10-14, 00:42   Link #75
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Now, that was much better. Having some memory of the americanized version of the original show, Akane being revealed as the villain wasn't that much of a surprise, nor was her tendency towards utter pettiness, but I still think it was well presented. Also, the fact people die for real despite the precure-esque magical fix-up really hammers in how insane she is. It's also a relief to see actual consequences (the original didn't seem to be too good at that), and I actually liked how they were checking to see if all acquintances were still around after the attack. And for how long has she been doing this? I'm certainly invested in seeing where this is going now.

Also, that OP is great, especially the part with Gridman popping out in front of Akane.

Quote:
(Finishes watching episode 2)

Yes, yes, yes, yes yes, yes, yes, yes ,yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yessu, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes yes yes, si, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes,YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES,YES, YES, YES, ALL OF MY YES TO THIS SERIES.

I don't care if Trigger fuck up by the end, this anime alongside Index s3 is my favorite anime of the season. It has been a long while since I have been this hyped. Now all I need is an anime adaptation of the MMPR comic that is currently releasing (seriously, that shit is way too good)... Yes, just yes.

Someone's excited, and of course not, we can always use more giant robot fights. A cute psycho and a girl who seems to have no skirt 90% of the time works too.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 02:00   Link #76
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
No, but resources are limited. If I have to choose, I'd rather have anime-studios make mecha-series other than PR because the anime will only be a downgrade to the live-action movies.
Spoiler for Too. Damn. Long.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Someone's excited, and of course not, we can always use more giant robot fights. A cute psycho and a girl who seems to have no skirt 90% of the time works too.
It is the only anime in a long while to make me smile throughout the entire episode, how could I NOT be excited. That was definitely a good surprise, but I am more focused on the one with the godly thighs.

Yes, yes we could do with more of it. We could also use more dinosaur content, but that's just me.
Old 2018-10-14, 02:45   Link #77
Applehell

Remember kids always apologize when you bump into somebody. You never know when they gonna take extremely personally and murder you and your entirely city for it!

Well I certainly did not see Akane being a freaking psychopath coming. The ending sequence kinda of awkward in light of this since she basically responsible of Rikka's friends deaths and yet she hanging out with her so carefree...

In any case this certainly becoming more and more interesting as continues. I guess all those people in suits in the OP sequence are all Gridman's equipment too huh?
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 04:47   Link #78
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

This looks interesting, but then I remember this is Trigger and that Darlin something show they recently did. Hmm, what to do...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 06:05   Link #79
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
This looks interesting, but then I remember this is Trigger and that Darlin something show they recently did. Hmm, what to do...
You will find few more cynical to the over-produced, marketing-driven Trigger hype machine than I. But Gridman is the anti-Trigger in so many ways.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 06:25   Link #80
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
And you know this, how exactly?
Spoiler for Too. Damn. Long.:
TL;DR…

This Gridman anime works because the old 90s live-action show looks lame by today's standards because they were made with miniatures & men-in-suits. So, this anime can offer you a new & refined/improved look of the hero & monsters and their battles.

Tags
kaiju, super hero, tokusatsu, tsuburaya