AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-06-01, 19:14   Link #101
Domasai
_=_Mada Mada Dane_=_

I wouldn't panic yet people. It's a bit premature to even consider the possibility that any modern president would utilize the draft again. Particularly one that's looking for re-election. So chill. Take deep breaths. Drink a cola. And try to honestly get a grip.

And even if Dubya decides to make career and historical suicide, I'm moving to Japan in July. So well, I wish you all luck. But in all seriousness, I doubt anything will come of this.
Domasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 20:26   Link #102
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
Quote:
Originally Posted by S7EV3n
does permanent residents have to go to the war too??
and I think even though the Draft is happening...
the chance that you will be going is 1/365 no??

please reply to me..if you have answers to my questions thx
yes you are eligible to be drafted even though you are a permanent resident. But considering that you are still very young and also a female, the chances of you getting drafted as of now are VERY slim to none. You are probably asking for a friend of yours perhaps.. But permanent residents are definitely eligible to be drafted as long as they qualify (just like regular citizens).

And as chuckert said, they are currently recruiting from current inactive reserves of soon-to-be released military servicemen (and servicewomen) so this draft is not definitely a sure thing even though the possibility is very high (after the US election of course). Even though we are planning to leave Iraq in 2006 (as of now), the need for men and women in our military forces is very high and be higher next year.

on a side note, I was planning on voting for Kerry early this year but have slowly migrated back to Bush. I just don't see Kerry as a good replacement and I don't see how he can do better than Bush. His plan is so simple in mind and sounds good but I doubt he'd be able to implement even half of what he claims he wants to do without serious complications. aahhsin got it right by saying "How?"...

Also, Clinton is receiving way too much credit as a President. He came in at a good time, especially in his 2nd term when the dot.com boom busted out onto the scene and drove up our economy to unbelievable heights. Of course times were better during the Clinton era but it wasn't because Clinton was President or we are going thru a terrible era because Bush is President. In theory, the policies of an administration are felt 2-3 years after implementation so technically speaking (and unfairly based on this theory), we can blame Clinton for the dot.com failure and the crash of our economy. And since we are only just now recovering from 9/11 and our economy downfall, we can credit Bush who entered into his Presidency about 3 and half years ago...
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 06:57   Link #103
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
so you would be perfectly willing to die for say... clinton or regan?

bush probably knows alot of information we dont, so what may seems to be his personal agendas could be his knowledge of other information.
Nope, just saying that the only reason for this war is for bush and his pals. Doesn't the president need to justify wars (and by justify I mean facts not assumptions it's interesting that there is no talk of going to war with Korea where we KNOW there are wmd but we hope at the chance to attack Iraq because we THINK they have wmd and claim a terrorist link when like somebody else mentioned that bin laden opposed saddam hussein) to the american people? Your statement makes it sound like you think we should hold unwavering truth to anybody holding office and never question their decisions.

When Truman decided to drop the atomic bomb on Japan in 1945 he had pretty much unwavering support from the public, after all it would help end the war sooner and save American soldiers lives, but how much support would he have had if the public knew that Japan had been trying to surrender through Russia since 1944 and that Truman knew this? (the dispute was over the dethroning of Emperor Hirohito which the Americans demanded and prevented any peace prior to the unconditional surrender after the bombs were dropped and they ended up choosing to not dethrone him anyways) Sorry, end of rant, just wanted to point out the things that happen when a President chooses to withhold or cover up facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz20
we can credit Bush who entered into his Presidency about 3 and half years ago...
Yes but since no gain was seen 2-3 years after Reagan implemented the same "trickle down economics" during his presidency it's more likely this was caused by something else much like Clinton's. Though I personally place alot more faith in Clinton's tax cuts than Bush's.

Interesting game, fun but really awful controls (it's like everybody has a stick of butter stuck on their feet). Didn't seem to really push clinton so much to me as what little good the guy did was reversed by Bush. Clinton did way too much crap to be considered a good president.
About the game:
Spoiler:
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 11:26   Link #104
BME
Belldandy Fanboy

Location: Stockholm, Sweden, Where Polar bears roam the streets
I´m just glad that although Sweden has "Mandatory" Military service (about 15 000 of the 60 000 that are drafted every year makes the cut, but if they select you, you have to do it) the Foreign Forces (Utlandsstyrkan) are 100% voluentary. All though our current Supreme Commander i suggesting that all who do their conscription must be elegable for foreign service. Lucky me who´s serving now, so that won't effect me. So we can get all the postive out of military life without risking our lives.
BME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 13:05   Link #105
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
When Truman decided to drop the atomic bomb on Japan in 1945 he had pretty much unwavering support from the public, after all it would help end the war sooner and save American soldiers lives,
i stopped reading about there and decided you just pulled that out of your ass.

truman decided to drop the bomb BEFORE the public knew about it. the bomb was such a tightly kept secret, not even truman knew of it until he suceeded Roosevelt. if the VICE PRESIDENT doesnt know of a military matter, the entire public of the united states certianly doesnt. and if they didnt know, how would they give their support?

Quote:
Korea where we KNOW there are wmd but we hope at the chance to attack Iraq because we THINK they have wmd and claim a terrorist link
Kim Jong Il. claims to have nuclear weapons.

I have 50 girls in my harem.

just because i said that doesnt make it true.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 02:22   Link #106
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
i stopped reading about there and decided you just pulled that out of your ass.

truman decided to drop the bomb BEFORE the public knew about it. the bomb was such a tightly kept secret, not even truman knew of it until he suceeded Roosevelt. if the VICE PRESIDENT doesnt know of a military matter, the entire public of the united states certianly doesnt. and if they didnt know, how would they give their support?
I didn't mean that he told the public prior to bombing Japan and never said that either. I meant when it was declared to the public there was little protest by the public (prior to the bombing though there was a petition from the scientific community -- probably just those involved in the manhatten project, not sure). Truman being in the dark about the bomb's creation didn't have anything to do with the secracy of the atomic bomb, roosevelt just didn't think Truman was competent. Truman was never in Roosevelt's "inner circle" and was in the dark about nearly all aspects of the war.

Quote:
Kim Jong Il. claims to have nuclear weapons.

I have 50 girls in my harem.

just because i said that doesnt make it true.
Y'know, I'll agree with you there because I feel the same about Bush. Perhaps wars should be based on facts and not claims?
Old 2004-06-03, 14:08   Link #107
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
I didn't mean that he told the public prior to bombing Japan and never said that either. I meant when it was declared to the public there was little protest by the public (prior to the bombing though there was a petition from the scientific community -- probably just those involved in the manhatten project, not sure). Truman being in the dark about the bomb's creation didn't have anything to do with the secracy of the atomic bomb, roosevelt just didn't think Truman was competent. Truman was never in Roosevelt's "inner circle" and was in the dark about nearly all aspects of the war.
I would like to point out that Truman was Roosevelt's Vice president. that means that when Roosevelt died, only then was Truman informed about the bomb.

i suppose i can concede that point, since you did similarly.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-04, 03:17   Link #108
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
I would like to point out that Truman was Roosevelt's Vice president. that means that when Roosevelt died, only then was Truman informed about the bomb.
I'm not sure why Roosevelt kept Truman out of most of the war discussions during his presidency but upon his death Truman had to be brought up to speed in nearly all aspects of the war. They could have been redesigning the food packets for soldiers during Roosevelt's presidency and Truman would have probably never heard about it. Judging from other elections, Roosevelt may have just used Truman as a figurehead on his ticket to get elected, maybe Truman held some opinions that Roosevelt disagreed with and just wanted Truman to get some swing voters or something. I'm not sure about the secracy involved w/ the atmoic bomb though, they'd definetly try to keep it secret as much as possible, but weren't the germans also working on an atomic bomb? Not sure, how secret they were about the existance of their program, they may have used it as propaganda to motivate the soldiers and whatnot. I'd have to ask one of my friends more interested in history since I'm a math guy and this is going way off topic.
Old 2004-06-12, 11:29   Link #109
CC Ricers
Governating the peasants

(edit) whoops, wrong topic!
CC Ricers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 17:42   Link #110
Desert Fox
Freedom Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Desert Fox
I actually want to join the army (something is terribly wrong with me). Anyway i dont know why your all afraid of joining the military. I know that you hear on the news that an american dies every day or so, but from a statistic point of view, our military deaths are very very small. Right now there are about 136,000 troops in iraq. Only 600 of them were killed. The death number for the Iraqis is in the thousands and this was just in the first month. So by comparison, the US looks like even not even being scratched.
Desert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 21:06   Link #111
mikeon

Quote:
I'm not sure why Roosevelt kept Truman out of most of the war discussions during his presidency but upon his death Truman had to be brought up to speed in nearly all aspects of the war. They could have been redesigning the food packets for soldiers during Roosevelt's presidency and Truman would have probably never heard about it. Judging from other elections, Roosevelt may have just used Truman as a figurehead on his ticket to get elected, maybe Truman held some opinions that Roosevelt disagreed with and just wanted Truman to get some swing voters or something. I'm not sure about the secracy involved w/ the atmoic bomb though, they'd definetly try to keep it secret as much as possible, but weren't the germans also working on an atomic bomb? Not sure, how secret they were about the existance of their program, they may have used it as propaganda to motivate the soldiers and whatnot. I'd have to ask one of my friends more interested in history since I'm a math guy and this is going way off topic.
well remember, being vice president is bad. You get ignored by the public and you're not really told a lot. Look what hapeen to Teddy Roosevelt. The big bosses of the day didn't like him having so much power so they had him nominated vice president where he would hold little political power. Only problem was that one person's life stood between him, and greater power.

Same thing is going on with McCain, he doesn't want to be Kerry's running mate because if you become VP you have to know your place.

As for this thread I don't know what it's about, the link on first page dind't work. So I went to the selective service system's page (www.sss.gov) and read the news there. It seems people thought that the draft was about to happen. That is not gonna happen, yes, the US forces are stretched thin but the Bush administration has repeatly said they would not reinstate the draft. Going against that would be political sucide. And I wouldn't worry if the draft got put in, as I read I think when i registered for selective service, only those that are 20 will be chosen first. THen they work the way down to the other ages. And if you are in college, they will give you till the end of the semester before you have to report in. Although if there was a draft, I would rather sign up for the military. I wouldn't want a bunch of guys I'm working with who don't want to be there in the first place. I rarther be with guys who I know wanted to come. It counts when the person you're next to is also the same person you'll have to depend your life on if things get bad.
mikeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 21:16   Link #112
Just a subtitler ^_^

Quote:
I'm not sure about the secracy involved w/ the atmoic bomb though, they'd definetly try to keep it secret as much as possible, but weren't the germans also working on an atomic bomb? Not sure, how secret they were about the existance of their program, they may have used it as propaganda to motivate the soldiers and whatnot. I'd have to ask one of my friends more interested in history since I'm a math guy and this is going way off topic.
The Germans and Japanese had both at least looked into the possibility of atomic explosives.

The German program was severely hampered by the mass exodus of physicists before the war started. A sufficient number of nuclear physicists were Jewish and had to flee, and others left as well, for the usual reasons. At any rate, the Germans were not close to developing an atomic weapon, because such a development effort was hideously complicated and they had somewhat more pressing things to which they devoted their resources... heh.

Japan was, at that stage, still pretty weak in the theoretical sciences, and didn't have anything beyond the theoretical when the war ended. They never really had a good chance at developing one during the war.

Why keep it secret? Well, for one, letting the Germans and Japanese know that the US was pouring unimaginable resources into developing an atomic weapon would twig them on to the fact that such a thing was definitely possible; it would also have given them a tremendous incentive to infiltrate that program and "lift" the results for their own use. All the nukes, none of the effort! More to the point, back then nobody was sure it was going to work at all; apparently one of the directors of the Manhattan Project, when confronted with the budget, said something like "If this works, nobody will care about the cost, and if it doesn't, nobody will care about anything else". For the amount they spent on building the atomic bomb, you could have made a LOT of tanks and ships and bombers!

I wouldn't worry much about the draft - for one thing, there are plenty of steps we could take to increase the size of the volunteer army, and we're not talking about needing two million men on the ground or anything.
AvatarADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 04:48   Link #113
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I heared that there was a german submarin with a special shipment for japan (1945). After germany surrendered to the allies, this subamrine surrendered to the USA.

Here is a link to a page but I don't know how trustworthy all this stuff/site is...

http://vikingphoenix.com/public/Japa...5/nzisub4j.htm
Old 2004-06-15, 10:28   Link #114
StoneColdCrazy
Noumenon

Send a message via ICQ to StoneColdCrazy Send a message via MSN to StoneColdCrazy
Yep, I've heard that story before. The comprehensive U-boat page (which is actually quite riveting reading) http://uboat.net/ has information on the story here.

Many of the 'stranger than fiction' stories of the war can be attributed to U-Boat crews or naval stories - ie the sinking of the Indianapolis, the treatment of survivors of sunken vessels by often very sympathetic U-boat crews, the accidental shooting of one of Germany's most prominent and talented commanders the day after the war ended, by one of his own sentries.

SCC
StoneColdCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-02, 22:55   Link #115
robin

Military Draft 2005!

Get ready boys and girls. YOU ARE GOING TO WAR !!
That's right. First, they strip the Bill Of Rights to nothing. Now they want you to continue the KILLING and DYING (for this country).

The average age of many anime fans are between 18 & 26.
@_@ Oh, what a coincidence, that's just the age group the military is looking for.

Want to know more, READ THIS: THE MILITARY DRAFT IN 2005??!! and for a Christmas present, tell your family you may never see them again...ever.

I'm being sarcastic for a reason Take the hint and do something about it. SPREAD THE WORD and VOTE!!!!!

Last edited by Lefteris_D; 2004-07-02 at 23:32. Reason: Thread Merged
robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-02, 23:05   Link #116
MikoKikyo

there is legislation pending, most educated adults I've spoken to about it are not taking it seriously (they don't think the bill will pass)

by the way there's also a thread about it... http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...ighlight=draft
MikoKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote