AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-27, 02:46   Link #1
arsenalwow

Serious Love-romantic anime

Hi, so what are some good titles that falls under the category of Serious romantic drama?
I'm not really into Comedy Romance, although it's nice once in awhile to have something like ichigo 100 percent. Looking for more series thats similar to Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien and Suzuka. More mature content or art style.

So what are your favorites?
Old 2006-03-27, 05:08   Link #2
miaka

Serious love-romance anime...

Hantsuki - its short only 6 epi.
To Heart, To Heart ~remembering my memory, To Heart2 - school romance
Kare-Kano - its comedy but their relationships is so serious
Kanon - my all time favorite. There is a remake of this series by kyoto animation.
Ayashi no Ceres - it has action fight and bloody violence, but i like the love story here.
Old 2006-03-27, 05:12   Link #3
DaZ

Saishuheiki Kanojo & Koi Kaze
Old 2006-03-27, 09:46   Link #4
arsenalwow

Thanks guys.

Ayashi no Ceres seems pretty impressive in terms of art style. Still checking out the other ones

I also heard Saikano is pretty good. What are your thoughts on it?
Old 2006-03-27, 09:50   Link #5
arsenalwow

lol my bad didnt know Saishu heiki Kanojo is Saikano. Going to check out Koi Kaze
Old 2006-03-31, 19:28   Link #6
MamoruUsagi

Mars
The Devil Does Exist
High School Debut
Kare First Love
Wild Act
Fushigi Yugi
Sailor Moon
Ceres Celestial Legend
Happy Hustle High
Bokura ga Ita
Paradise Kiss
Akuma De Sourou
Sand Chronicles
Fushigi Yuugi
Ultra Cute
Missile Happy!
Kare Kano
Ayashi no Ceres
We Were There
Peach Girl

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2010-07-25 at 13:18.
Old 2006-03-31, 20:19   Link #7
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Sheesh so many threads that ask for the exact same suggestions...You really should do a search before making yet another one of these, but I'll answer your question...

Paradise Kiss...
Old 2006-03-31, 20:58   Link #8
Cal-Reflector

In addition to the above:

Koi Kaze: Just so you know this is about brother-sister love, with a wide age gap in between.

Kare Kano: Starts off strong, but the ending leaves much wanting in that it becomes too abstract and still-frames replace animation altogether.

Saikano: Very very heavy stuff, lotsa angst. Try the manga first, which is widely available and completely out in bookstores near you. The OAV: A Last Love Song makes watching the original 13 episode anime well worth it.

Honey and Clover contains very thoughtfuly presented romance and is targeted towards an older audience (18-35 females, to be exact), in addition to humor. Unlike the above, which are all licensed, this show won't stay unlicensed for long, so grab it while you can.
Old 2006-03-31, 21:59   Link #9
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

Honey and Clover. I can't believe there hasn't been more reccomendations.
There is SOME comedy, but it's more like a "real life" anime..

Of course, in real life there are some comedic situations, but drama is the over-riding theme.
Old 2006-04-04, 10:34   Link #10
mippa
Mahou Shoujo~!

Send a message via AIM to mippa Send a message via MSN to mippa Send a message via Yahoo to mippa
Since this is my favorite genre, I will recommend the following for romance:

Honey & Clover - one of my favorites...it has a bit of comedy, but mainly because if all you have in a series is angst, it loses its entertainment value IMO.

Peach Girl - while not as good as the manga, it is definitely addictive and one of my other favorites.

Paradise Kiss - a bit disappointing and I don't find it that romantic because, well, the characters are really hard to sympathize with. But it is still a beautiful anime though I find it kind of cold.

While it isn't an anime, it is on AnimeSuki--and everyone MUST watch Densha Otoko.

Finally, the anime starts tomorrow night here in Tokyo--but as soon as it is subbed, you should peek at NANA. (The live-action movie--which I loved--is up on AnimeSuki as well.)
Old 2006-04-04, 16:05   Link #11
DanielSong39

Can't go wrong with Maison Ikkoku - still the gold standard among romantic comedies. Comedy is first-rate; drama ranges from serious to melodramatic. This show literally has it all.
Old 2006-04-09, 04:41   Link #12
Nikku

Send a message via AIM to Nikku
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaka
Ayashi no Ceres - it has action fight and bloody violence, but i like the love story here.
w00t...... Is that possible!? dang i didnt think i would ever find someone that liked the love story in ayashi no ceres. i couldnt finish it becuase i came to hate the anime, but i dont think it was to hard to find out who fell in love. i mean u could find that out just by watching the OP.
Old 2006-04-09, 07:19   Link #13
EdenB
Overlord

Another recommendation for Kanon, some comedy, but not really anymore than Kimi ga Nozomu eien had. The remake won't be out until Autumn/Fall though, which is a longer series and with slightly better artwork.
Old 2006-04-09, 21:11   Link #14
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamoruUsagi
In Ayashi no Ceres, the manga is wonderful. It's great. It's so romantic and touching. It's a wonderful, touching, romantic story. The manga is wonderful. The anime cuts out all the romance and sex scenes and plot. Read the manga, it's much more romantic and touching.
lol, you tend to reiterate the same thing over and over in your posts. Especially the ones about sailor moon.
Old 2006-04-09, 21:13   Link #15
gogogoh
"GO GO GO"

Send a message via AIM to gogogoh
wow your like me. try shakugan no shana pm me for more info. It's my favorite show. well balance but I like the romance in the show.
Old 2006-04-09, 21:15   Link #16
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogoh
wow your like me. try shakugan no shana pm me for more info. It's my favorite show. well balance but I like the romance in the show.
There's really not much romance in Shana... there's a lot of Shana agonizing over her own feelings, but not much actual romance.

(and if Shana is your favorite show, you seriously need to go back and watch some older anime)
Old 2006-04-09, 22:28   Link #17
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Jin-Roh- It's serious, dark, has enough romance in it to play with the plot. Also lots of blood when action get's on.

Saikano-one of the more popular serious, mature, dramatic, anime.

Blue Gender- Serious,violent, and romance is very fitting, and great, escpecially near the end.

I guess those are the "serious" one's I can think of, most are action,comedy,romance, or just romantic comedy.

info at www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/
Old 2006-04-09, 23:57   Link #18
lemondude
"super lemon"

dude do you have to suggest those animes Mr. Hawq. This guy wants serious romances not serious hell rasing.

Anyways a good one would be KGNE, one of the series that I didn't finsish due to the seriousness.
Old 2006-04-10, 07:12   Link #19
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondude
dude do you have to suggest those animes Mr. Hawq. This guy wants serious romances not serious hell rasing.

Anyways a good one would be KGNE, one of the series that I didn't finsish due to the seriousness.

well you do realize that if you go to the site I just posted, and typed in those anime's all of them will fall in the drama, and romance genre, in a figurative way, and they are not at all in the comedy genre, so what can you expect, obviously the opposite of comedy, which is dark.

WTF, do you mean by hell raising, man? All those shows/movies are very good, with very good ratings. They got action in it, but action is not what it is about, it is about the characters, and that is what those shows have.

Last edited by Mr.Hawq; 2006-04-10 at 17:47.
Old 2006-04-10, 18:00   Link #20
lemondude
"super lemon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hawq
well you do realize that if you go to the site I just posted, and typed in those anime's all of them will fall in the drama, and romance genre, in a figurative way, and they are not at all in the comedy genre, so what can you expect, obviously the opposite of comedy, which is dark.

WTF, do you mean by hell raising, man? All those shows/movies are very good, with very good ratings. They got action in it, but action is not what it is about, it is about the characters, and that is what those shows have.
you been watching it wrong then.
Closed Thread