AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Old 2004-04-27, 11:21   Link #221
TheLaughingMan
Nee-san is...

Send a message via AIM to TheLaughingMan
So far, Monster is the best series I have seen for 2004.

It really has a interesting and suspenceful storyline. The setting also seems to be unique (how many non hentai shows are about doctors/surgeons? Blackjack is the only one i can think of.)

I was somewhat surprised how the storyline jumped ahead so many years. After reading the summery, i thought it took place when the kids were little. Hmmm, i think i am in for a real treat.

Lunge is spooky, but in a cool way. His finger thing. Does anyone think that takes away from the realism of the series?

Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2004-04-27 at 11:22. Reason: Typos!
TheLaughingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 11:24   Link #222
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan
Lunge is spooky, but in a cool way. His finger thing. Does anyone think that takes away from the realism of the series?
I thought so when reading the manga. He looks too much like Agent Smith from Matrix and his mechanical computer typing fingering just reminds me too much of the agents.

Still, it didn't really blow the story or anything. It's less unrealistic than just odd.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 12:10   Link #223
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan
No... there are a lot of quirky eccentric people on this world whose behaviour would make you think Lunge is the sanest of us all

His 'typing' is just a power memorisation tool, just like those techniques that tell you to 'visualise' and associate a picture with a memory, Lunge just 'types' it in.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 13:40   Link #224
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

damn these characters look like they were just copied from 20th CB. yea I know it's the same author of the manga but I always find myself thinking "Haven't I seen this guy before?" heh
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 14:51   Link #225
mirichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
I thought so when reading the manga. He looks too much like Agent Smith from Matrix and his mechanical computer typing fingering just reminds me too much of the agents.
Except that The Matrix is a movie done in 1999... Lunge showed up at the beginning of the manga, which started in 1994.

Guess Agent Smith was copied on him and not the reverse
mirichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 15:05   Link #226
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirichan
Except that The Matrix is a movie done in 1999... Lunge showed up at the beginning of the manga, which started in 1994.

Guess Agent Smith was copied on him and not the reverse
That's fine, but I saw The Matrix first so Agent Smith couldn't remind me of Lunge, whom I had never seen.

Either way both are cool characters in their respective stories.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 16:04   Link #227
Spooky-Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
damn these characters look like they were just copied from 20th CB. yea I know it's the same author of the manga but I always find myself thinking "Haven't I seen this guy before?" heh
I believe Monster came before 20CB though.

I know what you mean though. A lot of his characters look similar. The main character of Master Keaton looks very similar to the main character of Monster, IMO.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 19:25   Link #228
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

I'm downloading a 20th Century Boys torrent right now, but I don't plan on reading the Monster manga since the anime's coming out
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 23:54   Link #229
Icer

I hope the anime does these later parts of the manga justice, so far it's been great but this stuff is nothing compared to what's on tap.
Has some high expectations to live up to.
Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 02:23   Link #230
Spooky-Electric

Monster's opening theme has to be the best opening song without vocals I've ever heard! It fits the series so well. I love it.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 18:47   Link #231
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

monster 4 was awesome we finally see him damn he looks good but wtf is his problem can't wait for more!
Old 2004-04-29, 22:34   Link #232
BigFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Devil
monster 4 was awesome we finally see him damn he looks good but wtf is his problem can't wait for more!

Spoiler:
BigFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 23:42   Link #233
marin

Wow it just jumped 9 years like *that*
marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 01:29   Link #234
lavarock
Busy wasting my time..:-(

Quote:
Monster's opening theme has to be the best opening song without vocals I've ever heard! It fits the series so well. I love it.
Totally Agree, plus the ending theme
lavarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 01:31   Link #235
CompShrink
getting in comps' heads

Send a message via AIM to CompShrink
yeah, jumping ahead so quickly, certainly isn't slow paced for a 70 ep series, is it. :P
CompShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 01:41   Link #236
lavarock
Busy wasting my time..:-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompShrink
yeah, jumping ahead so quickly, certainly isn't slow paced for a 70 ep series, is it. :P
Spoiler:
lavarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 04:24   Link #237
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

that's one of the things make Naoki Urasawa so special. He is a master in telling stories across a long period of time and switching to different locations on the way. 20th Century Boys further develops this "space-time switching/jumping" story-telling technique that stories are told back and forth in time and locations are switched across the whole world. Now 20th Century boys already spans 2.5 generations from the 1970's to 2018.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 09:59   Link #238
BigFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavarock
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
BigFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 10:58   Link #239
IMSabbel

Well, if its 20 chapters to much, i really believe the makers of anime will just pick 20 episodes at good points (where there isnt too much happening) and make 3 chapter episodes.
Nobody forces them to do 2 chapters every week the next 1.5 years....
IMSabbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 11:21   Link #240
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Monster is definitely one of the three best series of 2004 so far; I like it more than Madlax, but (for now) less than Paranoia Agent. I wonder what the manga holds in store, but I will not give in and read it... at least for now

The opening song is definitely amazing, and the animation for it is excellent. It matches flawleslly, and I've already extracted the opening video sequence and have it saved as a seperate file I can't wait until Dr. Tenma grows his hair out, too. Long hair is great.

I didn't like the ending at first, but now I think it's okay. I love the little mysterious picture and I can't wait to find out what it signifies... anyway, I'm sure I'll grow to like the song more and more as time goes by.

Can't wait to watch episode 4, it's still downloading...
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote