AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Who Has the Upper hand?
Light (Kira) 130 47.10%
L 81 29.35%
Equal ground 65 23.55%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-14, 10:36   Link #1
Shay
Monarch Programmer

For people like me who have not read the manga nor know any spoilers. People who be new to this great story.

Light, has the advantage that; for the moment he is in no way connected to any of his victims. He also has a "companion" Yes, Ruyk's motives for hanging around are a little vague but he could still well play a valuable role in Light's endeavours. Time will tell. Also, Light is still young, surely far from suspicion, or is he? Could being such a commendable student be a shortcoming? Over-confidence is often an Achilles' heel!

L, from the little we have seen, seems a most worthy adversary to say the least! In a matter of minutes, albeit on a hunch, he was able to determine that the murders could be done from afar, and narrow it down to one guy from one region. Also he has concluded that for a murder of this calibre to take place certain conditions must be met. I have to admit I like his style.

So on first impressions, who do you think has the upper hand in this game of wits?

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-10-14 at 10:51. Reason: Good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. Meow! =^.^=
Old 2006-10-14, 10:56   Link #2
musouka

As of episode 2, I'd say both of them are equal. Neither one can really harm the other at this point, though this first round went to L in a huge way due to Light's ego.

L might have a slight advantage at this point, as he at least knows Light's general location, whereas Light doesn't even have an idea of where L is.
Old 2006-10-14, 13:21   Link #3
Lollerpants

More or less equal I'd say; L knows where to look but not who to look for while Light can kill anyone as long as he knows their name.

But from that, L would have the upper hand at the moment since "no one" knows what he actually looks like. And or name.
Old 2006-10-14, 13:28   Link #4
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
up to ep 2 s far it an equal playing field...
L doesnt know wht kira looks like and visa versa...L can point out the area where kira is but i can also argue that kira would know where to pin point L (generally) as he would be thinking about the police force...
and they both know that each other arent stupid so its game on at this moment

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-10-14, 14:03   Link #5
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Well its kinda unfair, since L had the first move and yet Light knew nothing of how he acts. Probably in the future episodes Light might get the upper hand... but both ways, can't wait for their battle!
________
Pa50

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 08:37.
Old 2006-10-14, 15:43   Link #6
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I believe L has the upperhand at the moment. He has pretty much put Light on the defensive in this one "meeting". One thing is for sure that they both have no qualm about killing for their own ideals. Good thread Shay! +
Old 2006-10-14, 16:22   Link #7
Grey

Light was a bit too self-righteous and he messed up by killing 'Lind L. Tailor.' This allowed L to confirm a good number of his suspicions. Light gave away a bit too much information with one act.

...however, neither seems better posed to defeat the other. Because of the Death Note's supernatural powers, Light can kill while leaving essentially zero evidence of the perpetrator--this leaves L seriously disadvantaged when it comes to tracking down 'Kira'. On the other hand, L is anonymous and as long as he stays the role of a 'shadowy puppet master' Light has no way of killing L.

When we are weighing who is better poised to identify (and thereby defeat) the other, they are presently on equal ground because both may maintain anonymity with ease. However, Light is in a winning position because as long as he stays free he may continue to shape the world into his utopia, so this standoff actually benefits Light.

Mutual Goal - identifying each other: equal ground
L's Goal - catching Kira: disadvantage
Light's Goal - reducing crime: advantage
Old 2006-10-14, 19:30   Link #8
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I would akin to Light having the lead at this point of the anime, even if his lead which was originally so far ahead was cut short by his own egoistic attempt of self-recognition and rejection of negativity.

The main point lies in the concept that Light has full workings of how the Death Note works and he knows his own weapons and capabilities to see himself what he can do at a particular moment and what he cannot do, (( Someone else may assume an empty-handed Light is capable of just killing a criminal with the face and name, even when in reality he can't because the Death Note or a pen isn't in his hand )), while L only has little ground to work upon and half of his hypothesis statements regarding how Kira kills and the limitations behind the murder patterns would be limited to mere 'what ifs'.

Spoiler for manga:

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2006-10-15, 03:49   Link #9
cyw1988
Japaholic

Send a message via MSN to cyw1988
Equal Ground... The battle has just begun...~~~ =)
Old 2006-10-15, 10:04   Link #10
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Give me a break, L never is on equal ground with Kira.

L is someone who can only kill when that person is proven to be Kira - which means he needs solid prove and not only convince himself that Light is Kira, but also everyone else.

Kira can kill anyone as long as he thinks that person is a threat.
Old 2006-10-15, 10:20   Link #11
ryaken

Send a message via MSN to ryaken
L has the upper hand.

Light makes a harsh mistake by jumping to conclusions and killing Lind Taylor. He fell entirely into L's trap. L has been paying attention and is already on his tail, and Light never even realized it.

For now, Light needs to prove himself and really step up his game to keep from being destroyed by L. L isn't an idiot.

note:I've read the manga, this is a first impression.
Old 2006-10-15, 11:45   Link #12
Jaden

Light has the upper hand. I can't see how anyone is going to catch him writing names in that notebook. He could just ignore L and continue his work.
Old 2006-10-15, 14:05   Link #13
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyw1988 View Post
Equal Ground... The battle has just begun...~~~ =)
That i can agree with, and its hard to say stuff here when i've read the manga, though i'll give it a shot.

Right now after episode two, its easy to say that L has. He's the guy who's known about this for a few days now.. so of course he's had time to plan it all out. Light had no idea about L, so he's going to be shocked.

Anyway, a great idea for a thread. Can see some good talk coming from here in the future~
Old 2006-10-15, 14:16   Link #14
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Light has the upper hand. I can't see how anyone is going to catch him writing names in that notebook. He could just ignore L and continue his work.
Well, that's true. If he wasn't an egoist and if he wasn't stubborn, he wouldn't even have been laid by L in the second episode, and L wouldn't have any clue about him.
Old 2006-10-15, 14:22   Link #15
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quajafrie View Post
If he wasn't an egoist and if he wasn't stubborn, he wouldn't even have been laid by L in the second episode, and L wouldn't have any clue about him.
I wouldn't say its all about his ego, though he could have done with thinking about the situation a little bit. At the end of the day, he as the power to kill - so really he is going to jump into situations like this.
Old 2006-10-16, 00:32   Link #16
lana3007
stuck-up feminist

That's a tough choice. I am tempted to vote for L, simply because Light was caught by surprise. If nothing else this was a blow to his ego, and Light strikes me as a person who might make a mistake in a situation where his anger gets the better of him. So I'd think that L is probably a little better off since if Light act on an impulse he could mess up some more, but if he doesn't do anything rash then L is probably in a weaker position, simply because he has nothing to counter Light's powers with.
Old 2006-10-16, 11:44   Link #17
Snubben_Pierre

I voted for Kira, although it was a very tough decision.. cant really explain why i chose what I chose.
I hope that they like walk past eachother on the street without knowing it, that would be pretty cool :P havent read the manga so i have no clue about anything -.-
Old 2006-10-16, 12:08   Link #18
Dark`
The Terror of Death

It's hard to give a completely unbiased view of this when you've read the entire manga series...but I'll give it a shot. It's not a huge spoiler since you can kind of deduce this from what's been said, but just in case...

Spoiler for Minor spoiler...not even a spoiler really....:
Old 2006-10-16, 23:23   Link #19
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

Now up to episode 2,Light still has an advantage.Even if L pinpointed Kira's location to Kanto,he still has no clue how the murders are done.
Old 2006-10-19, 16:42   Link #20
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Episode 3 :
Light > L (1:0)
+police chief's son
+new eyes (almost there)
+easy plan to find L
+Ryuk

-student theory
-mysterious man