Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-14, 16:30   Link #441
Kakulukiam
FMP*Addict
*Graphic Designer

Hey everybody,

just wanted to tell you, that ToshoSen - Spitfire is going to be scanlated by LetterBee! The first chapter was released yesterday. Go and check it out!

Old 2008-07-14, 19:42   Link #442
Vanehei
Sousuke rules

Send a message via MSN to Vanehei
Oh yes!, i saw it in onemanga... lets read it!!!
Old 2008-07-14, 19:50   Link #443
nanafan
horo fan

o rly?? oh snap i got to read it now! thanks for the info!
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 08:31   Link #444
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
The introduction of Hikaru killed this series for me, just great.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 11:54   Link #445
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
Just finished the series. Terrific series by far, especially the characters, but the basis of the story is a bit dubious. As my brother said, why would the government not amend the laws and instead allow a civil war to continue?
We've dealt with these criticisms several times already, and other posters/bloggers and I have posted possible explanations in this thread and other places. Please don't misunderstand — I'm not scolding you, but I'm just trying to point out that clarifications are easily available.

The point is simple: Viewers who criticise the "dubious" premise are not familiar with Japan's domestic politics and the nuances of its political power structure. To keep it short, the Media Improvement Act is a federal law, but local governments also have certain constitutional powers that overwrite federal bills.

So, it's not so much why the Seika government did not do anything to prevent the civil war, but rather because there is an on-going power struggle within the Japanese Diet that is perpetuating the civil war. The "civil war" suggests a weak government that is hardly in a position to do anything at all.

However, you and your brother are not wrong to say that the anime presents a silly turn of affairs. The characters themselves admit as much in Ep6 (what Komaki told Kasahara while they were hiding in a train carriage). The scary thing is that truth can sometimes be stranger than fiction, and bloody wars have broken out over the most inane issues before.

In any case, what's important is that you've enjoyed the series. I'm willing to bet that if I.G chose to include the meatier parts of the novels in the anime, it would have turned off many viewers, and Toshokan Sensou wouldn't have been half as popular as it was.

And as for why I've been absent from this thread for the last several pages, I'm afraid I've been too busy to post my final comments about the series. In the end, I had nothing particularly earth-shattering to add to everyone's comments. Like most fans, I'm sad about the series' length, which made it necessary for I.G to trivialise the more important parts of the novels. On the other hand, given the amount of time they had, I.G managed to create extremely lovable characters and an effective romance between two very charismatic leads.

Kudos especially for Inoue Marina's outstanding performance as Kasahara Iku. I think it's fair to say she carried the whole show with her memorable portrayal of my favourite gar female anime character for now. Special mention also to Sawashiro Miyuki's performance as every girl's best friend, Shibasaki Asako.

Toshokan Sensou is over. I now look forward to Toshokan Sensou: 2nd Edition (one can always dream).
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 01:23   Link #446
blewin

thanks for the explanation, it makes much more sense now.
let's hope, as you said, that there'll be a second season! (like someday's dreamers, totally unexpected)
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 01:26   Link #447
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I already ordered some TS shirts on the way, peeps.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 16:26   Link #448
Kakulukiam
FMP*Addict
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
I already ordered some TS shirts on the way, peeps.
Great!
I'm also getting myself one when I'm in J next month. As well as the nice cotton bag available @ Tsutaya. *drool*
Old 2008-07-27, 17:11   Link #449
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

You got both the LDF ones and the anti-MBA act shirt?

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2008-07-27, 18:23   Link #450
Kakulukiam
FMP*Addict
*Graphic Designer

If they have these shirts in small size, sure! *drool*
Let's see. I hope that I'll get them in stores.
Old 2008-08-13, 17:01   Link #451
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Got mine already in the mail by XL since my Hobby Japan contact told me to do so to avoid size problems.

They're fine 'cept my LDF shirt's sleeves in XL had some tiny space for my hands to move around. I was advised by family friend to go L next time...

Old 2008-08-16, 08:44   Link #452
usagijen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Got mine already in the mail by XL since my Hobby Japan contact told me to do so to avoid size problems.

They're fine 'cept my LDF shirt's sleeves in XL had some tiny space for my hands to move around. I was advised by family friend to go L next time...
I'm still waiting for my officemate to come back from her Japan trip so I can get the LDF shirt I ordered from Amazon JP xD Got the small size, but I'm sure it's gonna be quite big for me still. The sizes are tailored for guys, after all, sigh. =.=;
usagijen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 13:24   Link #453
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
Why are you surprised? There's only ONE woman in the LDF after all!
PhantomX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 04:18   Link #454
Kakulukiam
FMP*Addict
*Graphic Designer

Just to let you know:
The awesome LJ community toshosen_tsl started translating the novels!

http://community.livejournal.com/toshosen_tsl/
Old 2008-08-24, 22:01   Link #455
usagijen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakulukiam View Post
Just to let you know:
The awesome LJ community toshosen_tsl started translating the novels!

http://community.livejournal.com/toshosen_tsl/
AWESOME. Thanks for the heads up! Have to get this news across, gonna post a quickie announcement post about this in our blog :3
Old 2008-08-26, 21:04   Link #456
maika_chan

HD versions up till ep 12 are out...but what's with the delay for SD versions?
maika_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 03:02   Link #457
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Well, this series turned out to be a present surprise. Up until the final three episodes, I had griped elsewhere on the internet that the series really lacked focus partly because the episode cap meant that it would never really be able to cover the political machinations in full detail while maybe giving the romance aspect of this series a bit of a touch without going fully into it. What ended up getting sacrificed was the socio-political side, and I think that might have been for the better because the character drama/romances were definitely far more interesting than the premise of armed librarians (as awesome as that concept may be).

In any event, I was really impressed at how the ending managed to come up with a resolution, even if it wasn't a final resolution that would lead to the Task Force being redundant as the government becomes less restrictive. But the ending they opted for does give room for a sequel and it does end on an optimistic note, providing a good amount of closure. While I'd be interested in seeing what else they come up with, I wouldn't be disappointed if they left it off here. So in other words, this series ended well.

Just a small question that I'll put in spoilers just in case:

Spoiler:
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 21:25   Link #458
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Spoiler for zzeroparticle:
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 22:58   Link #459
Kouvley

A very good series that has sadly been overlooked by many it seems.

I don't particuarly blame them though since I was guilty of doing the same after reading the synopsis.
It wasn't until this series got mentioned in the PlanetES thread that I thought I'd give it a try.

The setting tested my suspension of disbelief like I expected but once I got over it the characters really shone and took centre stage. I thought the ending was perhaps a bit too convenient but overall it has been an enjoyable ride.
Kouvley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 10:56   Link #460
usagijen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouvley View Post
A very good series that has sadly been overlooked by many it seems.

I don't particuarly blame them though since I was guilty of doing the same after reading the synopsis.
It wasn't until this series got mentioned in the PlanetES thread that I thought I'd give it a try.

The setting tested my suspension of disbelief like I expected but once I got over it the characters really shone and took centre stage. I thought the ending was perhaps a bit too convenient but overall it has been an enjoyable ride.
Always good to see more skeptics becoming Toshokan Sensou fan converts :P

Same with most people, I also found the characters to be the greatest asset (or hook?) of this show, and it certainly exceed my expectations in that aspect. Gotta love the rabu rabu stuff too, of course. And, this is really late, but since I didn't participate in the discussions in the thread despite being a self-proclaimed Toshokan Sensou fanatic, I wasn't able to mention my final thoughts about the series. In any case, it's just here (a really "objective" review btw), perhaps some of you might have already read it, but it won't hurt to post the link here for other ones to see. Spreading the TS love!!

There was also this interview of the ToshoSen novel author in one of the episodes of NHK's Top Runner, and I was fortunate enough to have caught it on its 3rd rerun (thanks to Japanese TV streaming). I've written this brief summary of what transpired throughout this interview, including this surprise appearance of Tomoaki Maeno himself!! Now if only someone recorded that episode for other ones to see... =/

Tags
noitamina, production i.g.