AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-05-19, 02:26   Link #1
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Jupiter Ascending (2014)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1617661/

Quote:
Jupiter Jones was born under a night sky, with signs predicting that she was destined for great things. Now grown, Jupiter dreams of the stars but wakes up to the cold reality of a job cleaning toilets and an endless run of bad breaks. Only when Caine, a genetically engineered ex-military hunter, arrives on Earth to track her down does Jupiter begin to glimpse the fate that has been waiting for her all along - her genetic signature marks her as next in line for an extraordinary inheritance that could alter the balance of the cosmos.

I dunno what to think about this one, it looks interesting and setting seems pretty awesome, but I can't help but reminded of something written by Stephenie Meyer. On the plus it does have Sean Bean, which means we will get to add another interesting way for him to die to the list of deaths.
Old 2014-05-19, 08:47   Link #2
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Sean Bean died more times than a Dragon Ball character. So yeah, I am going to watch it out of morbid curiosity.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-19, 15:17   Link #3
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I dunno what to think about this one, it looks interesting and setting seems pretty awesome, but I can't help but reminded of something written by Stephenie Meyer.
The synopsis does remind me of the growing list of teen action-adventure movies with female protagonists that are meant to appeal to girls... I think.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-19, 20:05   Link #4
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I guess, but what irks me is that it seems to imply that the girl in question, like the majority of that type of movie, is completely dependent on the guy 'supporting' her. I dunno, maybe girls really do like that sort of thing but to me it seems to be a counter-productive message. Don't get me wrong, some support is good and all that. It's just when they seem to go an extreme reducing the one being supported to a (often whiny) package that needs to be delivered to the plot at the end of the story. Kinda like how many feel about Sakura or Orihime.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong and she does eventually kick some butt in the second act and it's only initially she needs help, but eventually stands on her own.