AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2017-04-13, 22:11   Link #11221
alex_drian

I jumped like 40 chapters to the ending, I lost nothing
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-14, 17:40   Link #11222
n0m@n
C-Z

I waited 50 volume just for this shit? Man, why do like majority of popular manga have a such boring ending. And the author ignores the favourite character of the readers like always.
Old 2017-04-15, 00:09   Link #11223
Mellhurst

For our dear Nagi x Hayate fans and haters alike, as well as Hata, here's a commission I got off of the author of Jaded perspectives:

So small, so respectful!

Here's the full size version.

Spoiler:

LordCloudX, feel like adding the special version in a spoiler?

Last edited by Mellhurst; 2017-04-15 at 00:26.
Mellhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-15, 09:18   Link #11224
3000forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellhurst View Post
For our dear Nagi x Hayate fans and haters alike, as well as Hata, here's a commission I got off of the author of Jaded perspectives:

So small, so respectful!

Here's the full size version.

Spoiler:

LordCloudX, feel like adding the special version in a spoiler?
Haha! Thanks for my first and probably only commission ever. As for the "special version," I think I'll wait a while until someone gives us an excuse to post it.
3000forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-15, 09:34   Link #11225
dragon1412

I personally consider the ending was just a matter of bad writing and poor planning - leaving whether aside you are a Nagi shipper or not, the girls sunk their own ships in continuous chapter was a sign of extreme rush ending, and if you notice, all the girls except Ruka, all sunk their ship in only 1 chapter. And then there is no other mentioned, Nagi have the same problem, Nagi was developed too weak at the end, and Hayate development didn't help either. Hata clowing with filler gag too much until the supposed announcement like there is only 12 chapters left and we gone into a rush, and as supposed final boss, I personally found that Hisui is like a joke.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-15, 10:40   Link #11226
3000forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
leaving whether aside you are a Nagi shipper or not
Nothing to disagree with here as far as most of your personal thoughts on the matter is concerned. Of course, I just have to disagree with this one line. You can't presume to take the mindset of someone else -- most especially not in a personal opinion post. With that said, you're welcome to the rest of your opinion.
Old 2017-04-17, 15:26   Link #11227
NapoleonDeCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP24 View Post
You know it's ridiculous that another series was on the cover of the magazine issue that featured Hayate's final chapter.
I think this is actually fairly common in Japan. In Shounen Jump, for instance, I seem to remember the only instances where a series had the magazine's cover for its final installement were Kochikame, Dragon Ball and Slam Dunk (and I imagine One Piece will get the same treatment when it ends at last.)
NapoleonDeCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-30, 14:39   Link #11228
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Spoiler for ending:

putting aside everything
I would like to thank Hata-sensei for delivering this
I laughed at some of the chapters, getting confused at some, getting cringey too... and A-tan's arc is still one of the best arc ever
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-30, 14:41   Link #11229
MCAL

It seems Hayate's parents got the best ending.

And by the best ending I mean the "shit beaten out of them".
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-30, 16:45   Link #11230
Occhio92

After Athena's talk with Ayumu I was sure this would have been an Hayate x Maria ending.
Besides, didn't Hayate made it clear that he didn't like Nagi that way just a few chapters before?
Did he fall in love with her after not seeing her for two years even though it was clear in the last chapters that he had already someone he liked?
Occhio92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-30, 20:54   Link #11231
3000forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occhio92 View Post
After Athena's talk with Ayumu I was sure this would have been an Hayate x Maria ending.
Besides, didn't Hayate made it clear that he didn't like Nagi that way just a few chapters before?
Did he fall in love with her after not seeing her for two years even though it was clear in the last chapters that he had already someone he liked?
Pretty sure that Hayate was unable to answer Nagi when she asked him if he loved her, back in chapter 561. People chose to interpret his expression back then only one way. Nothing was really made clear. It's also worth noting that DKThias team omitted an ellipsis in Hayate's response back then. I believe even that much was important as it leaves things open rather than making it seem definite as it looks in the English unofficial scans. It was never expressly stated in any way. That's what happens when people think their interpretations are the only correct ones.

According to Hata's blog, Nagi became an "irreplaceable precious woman" to Hayate while he was looking at her talking from behind in chapter 567. I didn't write that. It's on his blog whether you use google translate or read it yourself. http://websunday.net/backstage/hata/

IMO, Maria ending was killed off early in HIAPOE (the movie that forms part of canon) but pseudo-Maria shippers clung to one or two shipteasing panels every now and then and took this as cold, hard evidence of their nonexistent ship.

Fanart of mine. Not as good as Hata's, but I wanted to imagine how they'd look from the front:

Last edited by 3000forever; 2017-04-30 at 21:06.
Old 2017-04-30, 21:20   Link #11232
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

I still think it's an utter tragedy that he didn't end up with A-tan. I mean I really really REALLY don't understand why he didn't. The series was funny but it was amazing when it took itself seriously. I'm sure I have replies much earlier in this thread but having read this series early on the scanlation group at the time immediately jumped ahead 50 chapters because of how god damn amazing the arc with a-tan was. Like they just bypassed an entire chunk of the story to give everyone the REAL meat of this series. That's where actual character development happened, and we had a look into his past and it was really really engrossing.

See usually a comedic series will force itself into a dramatic situation for closure, so that you can accept that when it's settled the cast will continue with their days of fun and laughter. But here it was the opposite, the serious stuff was so much better then comedic stuff, it's a shame it was never animated, and it's obvious the end was just reaching towards a lost cause.

I mean what can you do at this point, right?

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-30, 21:22   Link #11233
Megacrash Gr
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Send a message via AIM to Megacrash Gr
nice art @3000forever

Spoiler for thoughts on the ending:
Old 2017-05-01, 00:48   Link #11234
bowow0708

Spoiler for Thoughts on ending:
bowow0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-01, 01:20   Link #11235
3000forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowow0708 View Post
Spoiler for Thoughts on ending:
Hata does note that whether they will be happy or not in the future is out of his hands. The manga ends here. So yeah, what happens beyond the ending is open to headcanon and fancanon -- of a fandom which I've never considered myself a part of.

Forgot to mention...
@Megacrash Gr: Thanks! I made a lot for this finale, actually. Mellhurst even commissioned one from me (a few posts above). My first and only one. (I don't do commissions but this concept was too good to pass up.)

Here are a few more inspired by the finale

As a side note, I've noticed that people really love to think they know Hayate's thoughts and feelings so well. Personally, I can't claim that since I believe Hata wrote him as an ambiguous character from start to finish. Not saying whether that's good or bad, but he's not someone whose thoughts AND feelings are always laid out in black and white -- in direct contrast to Nagi. A lot of us love to impose our interpretations upon his words and actions -- and when the events of the story prove us wrong, we can't accept it and blame the author citing real world statistics such as poor sales and a general vocal dislike by the toxic English language community (or some semblance thereof) for the series as conclusive proof of our own assumptions -- just a little food for thought.

Last edited by 3000forever; 2017-05-01 at 01:36.
Old 2017-05-01, 01:44   Link #11236
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000forever View Post
According to Hata's blog, Nagi became an "irreplaceable precious woman" to Hayate while he was looking at her talking from behind in chapter 567. I didn't write that. It's on his blog whether you use google translate or read it yourself. http://websunday.net/backstage/hata/
Which was so clear in the manga, Hata-sensei felt he needed to write that in his blog. But then he knows the Nagi ship wasn't developed properly and that most fans probably aren't happy with it.

Quote:
IMO, Maria ending was killed off early in HIAPOE (the movie that forms part of canon) but pseudo-Maria shippers clung to one or two shipteasing panels every now and then and took this as cold, hard evidence of their nonexistent ship.
1) What about the movie leads you to believe this?

2) Non-existant ship? From the first volume of the manga, Hayate was drooling over Maria, which had Nagi issue her warning about what would happen if Hayate went for Maria. Maria showed some interest in Hayate, but never pushed it that strongly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
I still think it's an utter tragedy that he didn't end up with A-tan. I mean I really really REALLY don't understand why he didn't.
He didn't 'cause Hata-sensei didn't want that ending. To be honest, the reason he put off introducing Athena into the story is because he knew it would kill his Nagi x Hayate ship. Indeed, it did. Hata-sensei attempted to sink that ship by having Athena hand the hat to Nagi. Then he made Athena into Ah-tan to remove the romantic element. But the ship wouldn't sink, so he had to have Athena sink herself 'cause "reasons."

Quote:
The series was funny but it was amazing when it took itself seriously. I'm sure I have replies much earlier in this thread but having read this series early on the scanlation group at the time immediately jumped ahead 50 chapters because of how god damn amazing the arc with a-tan was. Like they just bypassed an entire chunk of the story to give everyone the REAL meat of this series. That's where actual character development happened, and we had a look into his past and it was really really engrossing.
I was only reading Viz's releases at the time, but when they got to the volume that introduced Ah-tan, HnG shifted from a fun, gag comedy series to something very interesting, very good, and that there had been plot all along. It was then that I took to reading the scans 'cause Viz started releasing their volumes slower and slower. That said, I became more and more frustrated by Hata-sensei's fear of working the plot. He was so convinced that if he moved too far from the pure gag chapters, people would abandon the series. Nothing could have been further from the truth.

Quote:
See usually a comedic series will force itself into a dramatic situation for closure, so that you can accept that when it's settled the cast will continue with their days of fun and laughter. But here it was the opposite, the serious stuff was so much better then comedic stuff, it's a shame it was never animated, and it's obvious the end was just reaching towards a lost cause.
Had Hata-sensei been working on the plot all along with a side of gags worked in, things would have been a lot better. We could have had a proper ending, including one where the Nagi x Hayate ship actually makes sense. Instead, we are left with a mess as there are lots of plot threads unresolved.

A final thought, quoting myself responding to a commenter on the blog, regarding Hata-sensei ending the manga.

Quote:
I think that what “killed” him was the Can’t Take My Eyes Off You anime. Originally, as I understand it, Hata-sensei wrote the new story elements with the mindset that these would be canon. Thus, he would use the anime to tell the story of Nagi’s parents. He’d also use this to introduce the Kurotsubaki. Unfortunately, as I understand things, when all was said and done, Hata-sensei was not allowed to use the story elements from CTMEOY.

It was then that I noticed a shift in his writing style. I think that initially, Hata-sensei was going to try to write something new, but in the end, the loss of the story he wanted to tell killed his enthusiasm for the series. The efforts to create something new as a replacement were halfhearted at best.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-01, 01:57   Link #11237
3000forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
Which was so clear in the manga, Hata-sensei felt he needed to write that in his blog. But then he knows the Nagi ship wasn't developed properly and that most fans probably aren't happy with it.
Logical fallacy. Also opinion stated as fact. Unnecessarily aggressive to boot. Really, I know sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet, but please don't underestimate me enough to think I can't see something so plainly obvious. Nowhere did I even imply that it was crystal clear -- nor that it needed to be. You assumed that on your own.

I don't think Hata wrote that in his blog to justify the manga. It does work as confirmation when/if it's needed though. What his reasons are for blogging again, we can only speculate -- just like with a lot of things in this manga. It's all about implications -- of course some of us think of our opinion so highly that our speculations MUST be cold, hard, fact, amirite? :P How many people actually read Backstage as opposed to the actual manga anyway? Can't be that much considering no one translates his blog in the English langauge community even. I know some of my Japanese acquaintances on twitter don't even bother with it.

Quote:
1) What about the movie leads you to believe this?
I'll leave that to your imagination, I suppose. You seem to have plenty based on your opinion that dream Maria was the real one, which you seem to think is 100% true based on zero evidence at all.
Quote:
2) Non-existant ship? From the first volume of the manga, Hayate was drooling over Maria, which had Nagi issue her warning about what would happen if Hayate went for Maria. Maria showed some interest in Hayate, but never pushed it that strongly.
Clearly we have different definitions of what makes or doesn't make a ship. So yes.

Quote:
He didn't 'cause Hata-sensei didn't want that ending. To be honest, the reason he put off introducing Athena into the story is because he knew it would kill his Nagi x Hayate ship. Indeed, it did. Hata-sensei attempted to sink that ship by having Athena hand the hat to Nagi. Then he made Athena into Ah-tan to remove the romantic element. But the ship wouldn't sink, so he had to have Athena sink herself 'cause "reasons."
Again with your opinion stated as fact. Not worth discussing for "reasons."

Quote:
I was only reading Viz's releases at the time, but when they got to the volume that introduced Ah-tan, HnG shifted from a fun, gag comedy series to something very interesting, very good, and that there had been plot all along. It was then that I took to reading the scans 'cause Viz started releasing their volumes slower and slower. That said, I became more and more frustrated by Hata-sensei's fear of working the plot. He was so convinced that if he moved too far from the pure gag chapters, people would abandon the series. Nothing could have been further from the truth.

Had Hata-sensei been working on the plot all along with a side of gags worked in, things would have been a lot better. We could have had a proper ending, including one where the Nagi x Hayate ship actually makes sense. Instead, we are left with a mess as there are lots of plot threads unresolved.

A final thought, quoting myself responding to a commenter on the blog, regarding Hata-sensei ending the manga.
You're entitled to your opinion. I am acknowledging that. I've always acknowledged that. Now do me a favor and don't try to disprove mine -- you can't. That's how opinions work. Now let us agree to disagree and be done with this nonsense which will always devolve into a senseless argument. Clearly there is no objective measure here for proving each other wrong. The interpretations and reactions to this manga will always be subjective -- no matter how many people support each side (again stop using this logical fallacy. It gets annoying.)

Last edited by 3000forever; 2017-05-01 at 04:04.
Old 2017-05-01, 02:01   Link #11238
orca_toys3

It was meant to be Nagi from the start. I'm very glad the author was firm and didn't change his decision. No other ending makes sense actually and it would've been really weird if Hayate ended up with someone other than Nagi while the most important person to him still being Nagi.
orca_toys3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-01, 03:33   Link #11239
Ultragunner

ehhhhhhhhh, so what's the deal with that Hina's scene then!!????

GODDAMNIT!!! If you were not gonna do it, then DON'T do it AT ALL!!

Old 2017-05-01, 04:29   Link #11240
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

So it finally ends. I haven't read the manga for a long time so i'm out of a loop of current events like what happened to Athena and Maria, why are some characters living together and no longer rich.
However it was nice to know Hayate's parents got punished for their actions and Nagi growing up to be a better person mentally and physically.
I didn't like the ending since it kinda felt force to make Hayate and Nagi a couple since i prefer Hinagiku and Hayate like almost all the fans want. Hopefully the author can make an epilogue to explain where and what happen to all of the characters.

Tags
comedy, shounen