AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-09, 10:47   Link #1
Silvx

The Dubbing of My HiME / Otome

This thread is for the discussion of English Voice Actors in the R1 release of My HiME / My Otome

Please remember these simple rules when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

• Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to flame praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
<End of edit by Mod (xris)>

Well i've been pondering if I should go pick up the DVD's for Mai Otome, but first I'd like some feedback from those who have heard it. Are the voice over's adequate for the characters? Do they show emotion in the acting? I will still most likely pick up a few of them either way to have episodes in high quality but would just like some opinions from fellow members on it.

Last edited by xris; 2007-08-21 at 11:00.
Old 2007-08-09, 10:58   Link #2
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

There are two samples on YouTube. One is for Shiho and Nao, the other is for Shizuru and Rad. Not hard to find - just search for "Mai Otome Dub".
Old 2007-08-09, 13:08   Link #3
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikon View Post
There are two samples on YouTube. One is for Shiho and Nao, the other is for Shizuru and Rad. Not hard to find - just search for "Mai Otome Dub".
Ugh. Shizuru with a "southern belle" accent. Not terribly convincing acting, ether.

Shiho seems okay, nothing special but not bad, however I do like the VA for Nao. She seems to capture that slightly devilish personality well.

There is another clip on their, comparing the Japanese and English VAs for Arika, Nina and Mashiro, and they all seem to be pretty good, particulary Mashiro's English VA.
Old 2007-08-09, 13:35   Link #4
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

Actually, I didn't like Arika's English voice at all. It doesn't capture the "cute and innocent" feel of the original.
Old 2007-08-09, 14:43   Link #5
Silvx

Hmmm from those clips some seem to be ok. Rad is good, Arika is.. I dunno i'd have to see some more clips, Mashiro seems to suit the part, Nina / Shizuru i'm not too fond of. Nao suits her very well though. I'm gonna look around for some others, I wonder how Nagi sounds.
Old 2007-08-09, 15:03   Link #6
Honeyman

Well, after listening to those dub clips I can confidently say that the orginal Japanese is better. You don't even have to understand Japan to know that what you here with your ears is that the Japanese is more natural, much closer to capturing the original essence of the characters than their English-voiced counterparts.

Will still get the DVDs when they come out in a thinpack (waiting for MAI Hime to be released like this but is hard when saving for a Winter Japan holiday!)
Old 2007-08-09, 15:38   Link #7
Silvx

A "Thin pack"? As in when they're all bundled together?
Old 2007-08-09, 17:25   Link #8
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvx View Post
I wonder how Nagi sounds.
I just hope it's not too childish. The Japanese actor was fantastic, he rightly sounded devilish and trickery but not too adult either.
Old 2007-08-09, 18:24   Link #9
Morganchan
Gero?!

I found voice clips in CrystalAcids.com's database, so you can sample exerpts from more-or-less every character. http://www.crystalacids.com/database...1242/my-otome/ Just click on the yellow arrow by the character's name and you'll bring up clips with them present.

Clips for characters not on the Main Cast list are still there, but you'll have to go to the Full Cast list (the link is under the title image screencap), click on the actor's name, then click on the yellow arrow by the character's name on the actor's page. Lots of steps, I know, but it's the only way you can hear some characters, apparently. So if you wanna check out Erstin, or Akane, or Chie or whomever, you'll have to dig a bit.
Old 2007-08-09, 18:36   Link #10
Ilpalazzo

i have the dvd the voices seem to be better, but for some strange reason when you
at the main menu of the dvd thiers no sound for some reason.
Old 2007-08-09, 20:49   Link #11
Same_Shark

At first I didn't like the voices, but the more I hear them, the more I love them! I'm highly impressed. Shiho sounds like the perfect bitch!
Old 2007-08-09, 21:52   Link #12
Silvx

thank you Morgan. As the poster above I seem to have grown on some voices from hearing more. One for sure being Nina. I think it was just that scene on youtube that seemed to be an off-part for the VA. Arika is still bleh. Sergay, I didn't like at first but grown on it. As for Nagi bah, kinda weird. Only voice I don't think will ever grow on me is Shizuru, in japanese her voice is so beautiful. However I really like Natsuki's ^^
Old 2007-08-09, 23:48   Link #13
Same_Shark

They've all grown on me, but Natsuki is my favorite. She sounds far more sexy than the original. Saeko Chiba only sounds tough as Natsuki.
Old 2007-08-10, 02:01   Link #14
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Never liked dubbed anime, and here is another example why... Well, miss Maria, Nao and Natsuki are ok, but others... Squeaky high voices, robotic intonations and wrong stresses. It's [otomE], not [otOmey], [materialAise], not [matErialise], [HarUka], not [HAruka] and so on. Maybe like that it sounds more English, but we are talking about Japanese animation. They should listen the original version before starting their own recording.
Old 2007-08-10, 02:48   Link #15
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleo Scanti View Post
Never liked dubbed anime, and here is another example why... Well, miss Maria, Nao and Natsuki are ok, but others... Squeaky high voices, robotic intonations and wrong stresses. It's [otomE], not [otOmey], [materialAise], not [matErialise], [HarUka], not [HAruka] and so on. Maybe like that it sounds more English, but we are talking about Japanese animation. They should listen the original version before starting their own recording.
They kinda do listen to them since most of the time they're hearing the Japanese audio in the headphones, but a voice actor's job is to dub the anime, not imitate the originals. Kind of the same as when a musician does a cover of another artist's song.
Old 2007-08-10, 03:57   Link #16
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

I thought "Otome" was pronounced as "Otome" (and even as "Otome" in the Sailor Moon song "Otome no Policy"). "Materialise" is an English word, so it should be pronounced as usual. I do agree on Haruka, though - it should be "Haruka". And don't even get me started on "Arika Yumemiya"...

By the way, why is Natsuki "Headmistress"? "Gakuencho" is a gender-neutral word (I presume), and so are the English translations "Headmaster" (Doremi) and "Principal" (SS). No need to stress Natsuki's gender.

So far, judging by those samples:
- Arika, Sergey, Shizuru, Nao = okay
- Natsuki = could have been more "official-sounding"
- Nina = could have been softer
- Nagi = WTF??!!!

Also: they use HONORIFICS?! In the ENGLISH DUB?!!

Last edited by Sikon; 2007-08-10 at 04:16.
Old 2007-08-10, 04:39   Link #17
Silvx

Yeah that was kinda weird, Sergay calling Nina Nina-chan instead of Ni-na. Maybe they thought some people wouldn't notice the difference in Ni-na and nina so they just decided to throw chan on? I'm gonna dig a little deeper in that and hear the sub-characters
Old 2007-08-10, 05:49   Link #18
Morganchan
Gero?!

Even I was having trouble hearing the difference between "Nina" and "Ni~na" XD Though I do admit I did a bit of a double-take when I heard "Nina-chan"! I think it's neat having the honorific there, although that fondness may come from once watching the Azumanga dub with friends, where they complained "Why is she saying 'Miss Sakaki' in the dub? It's Sakaki-san! DX<", so maybe those friends'll be satisfied this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleo Scanti View Post
Who says they don't listen to the original?

And my knowledge of Japanese is rather mediocre, but when pronouncing "Haruka", wouldn't the inflection go on the "ha" instead, since "u"s are mostly silent? Seeing "HarUka" suggests it should be pronounced "HaROOka", but whenever I've heard it in spoken in anime, it's "HAruka", isn't it?
Old 2007-08-10, 07:07   Link #19
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganchan View Post
"Why is she saying 'Miss Sakaki' in the dub? It's Sakaki-san! DX<"
Well, they're stupid. Honorifics are strictly a property of the Japanese language. Besides, to most Westerners, they don't make any sense anyway.
Old 2007-08-10, 07:15   Link #20
solarknight123

For me the VA's grew on me over time while i was watching the mai-hime dup so i just need to get used to the new ones in MO. The only problem i have with the dub is the way they pronounce some of the terms as well. I agree with Shikon on the Honorifics. They should just stick to the english translations of most of them and ignore thost that don't have a proper one like "chan"
Closed Thread