AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-21, 20:03   Link #1
mdauben

Characters: My HiME or My Otome?

Okay, we have already beaten the "which anime is better" topic to death, so how about going at it a little differently? Looking at the characters who appear in both My HiME and My Otome, which version of each do you like better? Remember, this isn't about which series is better, but which character is.
  • Akane – Tragic Akane or Comedy relief Akane? I guess the on-going quest to loose her virginity in Otome is the winner.
  • Chie – I guess I liked the Otome version better, if only because she got a bit more character development there.
  • Fumi - Kind of a wash. She is pretty much a non-entity on HiMe, but she is dead in Otome.
  • Haruka – She was funny in both series, but I really liked the over the top, wrecking-ball Haruke from Otome more.
  • Mai – For her, I really liked the HiME version better. Despite the flaws in the character, she was better than the silly Otome version.
  • Mashiro – She didn’t have much more development than Fumi in HiME, but being one of the central characters in Otome she was much more interesting.
  • Midori – I didn’t care for her too much in HiME, but in Otome she became totally cool.
  • Mikoto – I have to go with the HiME version of Mikoto, she was just much cooler and much more adorable.
  • Miyu – This is a tough one, as I really liked the character in both anime. I would probably go with the HiME one, just for the better character story.
  • Nao – She was kind of cool in HiME, but I thought she was great in Otome.
  • Natsuki – For her, I have to go with HiME. I just liked the rebellious, hot biker Natsuki better.
  • Shiho – Annoying in HiME but quite funny in Otome
  • Shizuru – The My Otome version wins. The cool lesbian Shizuru beats the psycho lesbian Shizuru hands down .
  • Yukino Yukariko – I thought the nun version of Yukino from HiME was more interesting.
What do you think?

Last edited by mdauben; 2007-10-22 at 09:51.
Old 2007-10-21, 22:17   Link #2
KaichouFujino
Tea Addict
*Artist

Yukino wasn't the nun. That was Yukariko... that might be spelled wrong ^^;; Yukino was the mousy girl that is Haruka's best friend. Her child was Diana. I actually thought the HiME version of her was more interesting.
Old 2007-10-21, 22:48   Link #3
Diodati
The very united ACROSS

Okies I'll play, sorta. I'm just going to go by personality/presentation, as to avoid comparing the series themselves too directly.

Akane - Same. I found her equally angsty in both heh.
Akira - HiME. So under-used in Otome that it's quite criminal.
Aoi - Same. Aww the Otome version does really well for the Scene At The Cliff With Mashiro. But personality-wise I found them practically the same.
Chie - Same. She's just a bit more Pimp! in Otome.
Haruka - Same. Similar sort of traits in both. They are played for laughs a bit more in Otome although I found her a bit less antagonistic in that series as well.
Mashiro - Otome. Quite a role reversal here, I guess for characterisation sakes we should probably say Otome.
Mai - HiME. But then getting 26 eps worth of inclusion in HiME compared to so little in Otome -- it's not too surprising.
Midori - HiME. I found Midori was the most altered out of all the characters, actually quite unrecognisable in Otome. That's not to say I dislike her in Otome but I loved Midori in HiME, she was probably (along with Natsuki) the most multi-faceted character during the course of HiME for me. I guess they wanted to give the excellent Tamura Yukari different acting chores.
Mikoto - HiME. See Mai.
Miyu - HiME.
Nao - Otome.
Natsuki - HiME version, she got some great character development in the original. The Otome-Natsuki is shafted sadly, although she's cute, in a serious-yet-oddly-dopey sort of way.
Shiho - Otome, I found her incredibly annoying in HiME.
Shizuru - Same. If you look at 'personality' alone then I find them quite similar. The major difference is that Ctome-Shizuru is not an emotional ticking bomb -- and I account that down to the fact Otome-Shizuru has dealt with her sexuality better than she had in HiME. (And I account that down to the different initial dynamics between Shizuru and Natsuki in Otome).
Yukariko - HiME-Yukariko has some of the most distasteful developments in the whole of the series. Moral fibre being left in tatters on the floor. And to think she was a nun. But then her crappier woe-is-me nature left a larger impression on me than her role in Otome did.
Yukino - HiME. I think. Pass.

BTW: even if there are Otome personalities that I find comparatively more interesting or endearing, I'm not sure I would put them into the HiME series.
Old 2007-10-22, 02:40   Link #4
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

Wow, this is a tough one.
  • Akane: She's more fleshed-out in Otome, mostly because she spends most of HiME in a hospital. However, for me, there was absolutely no Akane in Zwei. Sunrise seemed bent on playing her torn-between-duty-and-love dilemma for laughs, effectively killing the character, which deeply disturbed me.
  • Chie: Otome, because she actually has a personality there.
  • Fumi: She has no characterization at all in Otome. We only know what she did, not what she was (which is why exploring her era in fanfics seemed a good idea for me). So HiME.
  • Haruka: Otome. This is one of the cases when "somewhat funny", after going over the top, became "insanely funny".
  • Mai: HiME. There was absolutely no Mai in Otome ever. There was only that character I personally refer to as "MINO", or "Mai in name only".
  • Mashiro: Both, really. The Otome version wins by a narrow margin with her over-the-top hilarity in early episodes, although I didn't like the angsty Queen Mashiro that emerged after the Wham Episode.
  • Midori: HiME. The Otome version was a rather generic Proud Warrior Wasteland Elder, and in HiME, she managed to be nearly the only character to make it to the end without being completely twisted. Not to mention her "screw destiny" attitude.
  • Mikoto: Meh in both incarnations. Nothing really against her, just not the kind of character I like.
  • Miyu: Both, although she regrettably appeared in Otome too rarely. Plus, there's her affection towards Alyssa. It really feels deep and genuine, unlike many other character relationships I've seen.
  • Nagi: HiME. Really, while he's a very interesting character, the role of the Big Bad just wasn't for him.
  • Nao: Two words: highway scene. That alone is enough to win the day for Otome, not even counting all the character development.
  • Natsuki: Otome. She was great in both, but I just prefer the Gakuencho. I have a soft spot for strong female political leaders, I guess.
  • Shiho: Otome. Gosh, do I even need to explain this one?!
  • Shizuru: Neither. She's a loose cannon in both, even though she maintains the "facade of elegance" more convincingly in Otome. Something about her is disturbing on some deep psychological level, and it's not the lesbianism (which I have no problem with).
  • Yukariko: HiME, mostly because she had too little presence in Otome to have enough personality.
  • Yukino: Otome, because she's a perfect straight man (straight woman?) to provide a contrast to Haruka's over-the-top slapstick humor. Besides, what kind of lame Child is Diana anyway?
Old 2007-10-22, 08:54   Link #5
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Cool this. I've added Rad and Tate.
  • Akane: In Hime she's a tragic, dramatic character, while in Otome her relationship with Kazuya seems to serve only as a comic relief. But in the end I don't think I care much for her both in Hime and in Otome.
  • Aoi: Otome (see Chie).
  • Chie: Otome. I find quite annoying the gossip-queen she is in Hime.
  • Fumi: Hime, just because we didn't have the chance to see her in action in Otome. I suspect she could have been quite cool, though.
  • Haruka: Otome hands down. In Hime she's ok but quite arrogant, while the personality of the crazy&funny Kommandant she has in Otome fits her better.
  • Mai: HiME. I refuse to call that fat cook with the cumbersome vest "Mai".
  • Mashiro: Otome. In Hime she's not bad, but too quiet, and she decided to act too late. And while I disliked her in the first episodes of Otome, by the end she was one of my favorite characters overall.
  • Midori: Hime. I missed her enthusiasm in Otome, where she is too stern and uncompromising for my own taste. Characters like these are necessary, but I've never liked them.
  • Mikoto: Otome. She's more character development in Hime, but she's a sort of wild brat who bugs me for being too much childish.
  • Miyu: Both.
  • Nagi: Both, with a slight preference over the Otome version. In Hime this character gives me the impression to lack of something, while in Otome I find him simply amazing. Devious and malevolent without being truly *evil*, but almost always quite funny.
  • Nao: Otome. Cool, ironic and cynical, a combination that made me fall in love with her Otome incarnation. The Hime version is too angsty and vindicative for me.
  • Natsuki: Both, even if I like the biker slightly more. She's believable in both roles, though.
  • Rad/Reito: Otome Rad. I've had frankly enough of the pretty face-evil villain so common in so many anime.
  • Shiho: Otome. One of the funniest characters I've ever seen. I almost laughed my brain out when I saw the crotch skull.
  • Shizuru: Hime. In Otome she's the epitome of deadly grace, but I have a soft spot for the crazy psychopathics who kill with a smile.
  • Tate/Sergay: Hime Tate! I love him there, where his indecision between the love towards Mai and the emotional attachment to Shiho is somewhat justified. Sergay Wang is just confused, and waaay too irresolute to be believable for the role of the diplomatic attaché.
  • Yukariko: Hime, I didn't see her enough in Otome to judge her.
  • Yukino: Hime. The role of the wise head of state fits her, but her shyness in Hime, compared to the boldness of Haruka is winning for me.
Old 2007-10-22, 10:27   Link #6
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

I don't think Sergay was the Otome version of Tate, though. He always struck me as a completely separate character.
Old 2007-10-22, 19:20   Link #7
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikon View Post
I don't think Sergay was the Otome version of Tate, though. He always struck me as a completely separate character.
Yeah, you're right on there: For one, Hime Tate was just there for the boobs and lulz. Two: Otome Serugei was just there for being the emotionally troubled pedophile.

Mai: Otome- She complained a lot less then, and was only in about three episodes. FTW! LOL soccer mom Mai!

Natsuki: Otome- She was such a puppy in Mai Otome and I absolutely loved it.

Haruka: Both- Her personality didn't change much...but maybe I'm siding with the Otome Haruka more. I can't make up my mind about it yet.

Takumi: Otome- He wasn't so much of a leech towards Mai (who hardly showed up here) in this series.

Akira: I'm not sure either way around, no matter how many times I've watched Mai Otome or Hime.

Mashiro: Otome- Had awesome character development in such a short span. Need I say more?

Shizuru: I don't know, another uncertain one for me...

Midori: Hime and Otome- I loved both roles Midori had in each series. The first being the hyper active out of control Midori getting wasted at the wrong moments, the second being the calm and reliable leader of Aswad.

Mikoto: I didn't see much of a difference in Mai Otome Mikoto compared to Mai Hime Mikoto, can't say really.

Nagi: Otome- I loved him as the obsidian lord. Even though his plans were made of fail, the concept was made of win.

Chie: Otome- No more cell phone scenes here. More likable all together in Otome if you ask me.

Shiho: Neither of them. She's too annoying in both versions. >>

Aoi: Both-Although favoring Mai Otome a little bit more. Still the same likable personalities in either versions.

Yukino: Both- They were too similar in each version for me to be able to pick a favorite.

Yukariko: Neither: She's just about as annoying in Otome as she is in Hime. Can't say for either of them.

Miyu- Both. No reason in particular.

Nao: Otome- she was less annoying in the Otome version. That's all I've got to say here.

Reito/Rad: Otome- He wouldn't stop trying to be all high and mighty in Mai Otome. Couldn't stand it frankly.
Old 2007-10-22, 22:52   Link #8
Leebot
Cognivore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikon View Post
Well, his role was essentially as a replacement for Tate, as they didn't want to hire Tate's voice actor back (something about him spoiling the series, though I haven't heard the whole story). They pretty much axed the character of Tate in future series, and Sergay filled in the role for him in Otome. Anyways, onto the list:
  • Akane: HiME. Her Otome plot was just played for cheap laughs. Her pivotal moment in HiME was short, but critical.
  • Akira: We didn't see enough of her in Otome to be able to differentiate at all between the two, so I can't make a call here.
  • Aoi: Otome. Much more individualized here, and she actually drove the plot forward.
  • Chie: Otome. Essentially same reasons as Aoi.
  • Fumi: Eh, I'm skipping her as she didn't really show up in Otome.
  • Haruka: Otome. Unlike Akane, Haruka's changed for the comedic worked as she was comedic character to begin with. She's just so over-the-top here it's perfect.
  • Mai: HiME. 26 episodes of decent character development > 3 episodes of stagnation.
  • Mashiro: Otome. Much more pivotal role here, and she played it well.
  • Midori: HiME. Again, one of the characters who worked better in a comedic role.
  • Mikoto: Otome - specifically the cat, not the cat god.
  • Miyu: Otome, just from the extra outfit she gets there. Otherwise, the characters are virtually identical.
  • Nagi: HiME. As a Big Bad in Otome, he's just underwhelming.
  • Nao: Otome. No explanation necessary.
  • Natsuki: Otome. She's so ridiculously powerful there that the writers had to keep jumping through hoops to keep her depowered so she couldn't single-handedly defeat Artai. Come on, did you see that gun she wielded?
  • Rad/Reito: Otome. Reito wasn't given nearly as much character development as his role required. Though Rad got even less development, his role required much less, so he wins out.
  • Shiho: Otome. Three words: Maki maki maki.
  • Shizuru: HiME. Gotta love Dark Shizuru, and it shows some real emotional struggle (at the expense of perpetuating the Psycho Lesbian trope).
  • Takumi: Hard call here; the two characterizations are so vastly different. In the end, I have to give a slight edge to the Otome version.
  • Tate/Sergay: Hime. I don't know what it is about Sergay, but something about his character makes it seems like everything he does is because the plot requires it, not because it's what the character would do.
  • Yukariko: Otome, just because the HiME version seemed so pathetic she goes negative.
  • Yukino: Otome. Perfect straight-woman to Haruka.
Old 2007-10-23, 05:47   Link #9
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebot View Post
  • Natsuki: Otome. She's so ridiculously powerful there that the writers had to keep jumping through hoops to keep her depowered so she couldn't single-handedly defeat Artai. Come on, did you see that gun she wielded?
I totally agree on this one. She has always struck me as the Otome equivalent of Kagutsuchi.
Two of the most powerful Otome were needed to defeat Yuna, but I bet Natsuki could have disintegrate her completely with only a single shot of her cannon.

Tate or Sergay? Uhmm... they have definitely something in common, but I agree they are also deeply different, much like the 2 Takumi. Probably in this case Sunrise could have use a different design. Or use a different character to fill the role.
Old 2007-10-23, 06:15   Link #10
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis_Lux View Post
I totally agree on this one. She has always struck me as the Otome equivalent of Kagutsuchi.
Two of the most powerful Otome were needed to defeat Yuna, but I bet Natsuki could have disintegrate her completely with only a single shot of her cannon.
Unlikely, since Arika with Robe 1.0 and training was able to deflect the particle beam from the siege cannon.

Natsuki's ground mounted cannon is about same as siege cannon's firepower.

Yuna (in supersize Fumi Otome mode) can defeat Arika with Robe 1.5.
Old 2007-10-23, 07:39   Link #11
Ippikiookami
One of many ShizNat fans

Spoiler for length, just in case people got irritated at some n00b clogging the thread with her opinions.

Spoiler for length:
Old 2007-10-23, 11:28   Link #12
Urd
Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Unlikely, since Arika with Robe 1.0 and training was able to deflect the particle beam from the siege cannon.

Natsuki's ground mounted cannon is about same as siege cannon's firepower.

Yuna (in supersize Fumi Otome mode) can defeat Arika with Robe 1.5.
I beg to differ...
If you have some knowledge of Physics (and watched some Evangelion , namely the battle against the 5th Angel ). When two forces collide, they'll end up nullifying each other or altering their path, even if their powers are not the same... So, we actually don't know if Natsuki's cannon is more powerfull than the siege cannon (I believe it is, based on the fact that Natsuki planned her "take-Garderobe-back" plan on her cannon's power alone; but if it was, they would just have deflected each other, like they did. This is not Dragonball Z's Kamehameha, where they would have a 5ep. battle to see who would beat each other power wave... Plus, we don't know if Natsuki had taken the shot using her bare body, like Arika did, if she would be able to send it back. Probably, i guess... My opinion is that the 5 collums are very much capable of defeating any threat, and both Szwartz and Nagi knew about it, hence their concern of deactivating them... The battle DID end when they got their powers back..and in Zwei we got the same problem again...

gosh.. look at the size of this comment.. I'm stopping now..
Old 2007-10-23, 11:30   Link #13
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

Quote:
If you have some knowledge of Physics (and watched some Evangelion
There are physics in Evangelion?
Old 2007-10-23, 11:52   Link #14
Urd
Airborne

You do know it was intended to be a joke..?........
Ne?.....

Check this out:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BeamOWar

Last edited by Urd; 2007-10-23 at 11:54. Reason: add info
Old 2007-10-23, 17:46   Link #15
Leebot
Cognivore

I think the real key point here is that it's a well known law that the plot resolving potential of any device or character is inversely proportional to the frequency with which it's used. Therefore, since Natsuki is used less frequently than anyone else in the series (relative to time you'd expect to see her used), she must be the most badass Otome in existence. QED
Old 2007-10-23, 19:44   Link #16
twisted-pisces
Shadow girl

I don't know. for me, it feels like they have the same design but they are different characters in each series.
Old 2008-04-13, 03:41   Link #17
MightySpirit
Yuri Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to MightySpirit
Akane - HiME Akane. Personally, I never really got that into Akane because she wasn't even explored that much. But I choose the HiME version because I liked her child Hari, lol sadly though he was only there for awhile then died.. poor poor Hari :[
Akira - HiME Akira. For her, I got to say I loved her whole ninja style thing going on. And I just personally liked how she was depicted in HiME, and also that it took awhile to become close to Takumi. I'm not too big of a fan of that relationship and how it was more expressed in Otome >.>
Aoi - Otome Aoi. Well her HiME version never had much of an impact on me, so much that I didn't even notice she was in Otome until quite a few episodes in. Hmm, not much I can say but definately her Otome version was more noticable and had a nice role to play
Chie - Otome Chie. Her personality is explored much deeper in this one and even if she is similar, I say she was very entertaining to watch in Otome, as well as in HiME <.<
Fumi - HiME Fumi. No, not because she was actually shown in HiME, but because of how strange her personality was. She seemed like a normal, nice, caring maid for Mashiro..but no, she was hiding something. Lol I liked, during the Cake Wars episode, when she re-caught the tea that flew up in the air and especially when she knocked Mikoto out with a spoon xD
Mashiro - Otome Mashiro. Only because I found it really funny to see her personalty change so much. I like seeing Mashiro get all mad and think she is all that because she's a queen :P
Mai - HiME Mai. She is able to develop alot more in HiME since she is the main character. Also, I loved near the end when she went insane.. as scary as she looked, it was soo fun to watch that side of her. I like her personality in Otome, but there just isn't enough of her ._.
Midori - HiME Midori! Well I must say I enjoyed her silly side in HiME (drunk Midori ftw!) and her strong sense of that whole justice, love, and friendship thing, it was really entertaining. I love her Otome counterpart just as must though, where she shows a much stronger side. Though I fell for the silly side xD
Mikoto - HiME Mikoto. Obviously she was much more fun to watch in HiME. showing off awesome moves with her sword while at the same time having that really weird personality of being young and not knowing any better. It was kind of odd at first in Otome finding out she was a cat xD
Miyu - Otome Miyu. Actually, I really liked how they showed Miyu in Otome. She was much more mysterious, appearing out of no where in a really sweet looking outfit with a little birdy :3
Nao - Otome Nao! Only because I like how her personality had more of a fun side to it, where she would tease Natsuki in a playful manner rather then how she fought with Natsuki in HiME. Though I do still love the HiME Nao very much :]
Natsuki – HiME Natsuki!! I loved her in both series, but in Otome she just wasn't able to fight enough and show off her kick ass otome skills. While in HiME she was totally awesome and I must admit I loved her biker outfit <3 Though in both series, mainly HiME, I adore how she has that strong/I'll kick your ass exterior yet around few people, like Shizuru or Mai, she'll show that embarrassed softer side that is oh so cute~!
Haruka - Otome Haruka. In both series, her basic personalty stayed pretty similar, but I still preferred how she was in Otome. Plus she actually gets to fight, and my gosh does Haruka make a funny Otome :F
Shiho - Otome Shiho. Honestly, I'm not too big of a fan of Shiho in either series, but she did supply some nice laughs in Otome. Trying to keep that cool onee-sama exterior but away from people she would try to maki maki them >_>
Shizuru - HiME Shizuru. Hard decision for me, but I must say I have a thing for psychotic Shizuru. Lol, I love how far she went for Natsuki, killing anyone who got in her way without any last thought. It was kind of creepy at first, but the crazy girl grew on me <3 I do love her Otome version too. She did look quite cool, having one of her first appearances being that she destroyed a slave within a few seconds. Also in Otome, her and Natsuki did seem to have a deeper relationship at times... but still, I have to go with HiME Shizuru, and all those lovely ShizNat moments ^^
Yohko/Yoko - HiME Yoko. Yes, she deserves some mentioning. Even though having small parts in both series, I like her being close to Midori, and in HiME, getting drunk with Midori was quite fun to see :]
Yukariko - HiME Yukariko. I loved how they portrayed her in HiME, being a nun with conflicting emotions and such. Plus, I loved when she got drunk and freaked out Nao, or when Nao freaked her out by giving her a confession x]
Yukino - HiME Yukino. Mainly because I loved her child's ability to see basically anywhere she wished, and her whole complex of not being able to admit her feeling to Haruka was a nice touch too

Last edited by MightySpirit; 2008-04-13 at 03:52.
Closed Thread