AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-17, 10:27   Link #81
Molenir

Great first episode. Outstanding animation, great character designs. I'm very much looking forward to where this is going. When I was watching it, for some reason I kept flashing on Fooly Cooly though. That just me or did anyone else think that too?
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 12:00   Link #82
Ellaya_dw

Send a message via ICQ to Ellaya_dw
It was... wow. Seyu is gorgeous. Best first ep in new season. Maybe best season's anime. Great Op, reminds me about Baccano!. Surely will watch this.
Ellaya_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 12:21   Link #83
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I've a feeling this show will end in tragedy.

Good first episode.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 16:01   Link #84
karumofin

wow, i love everything about this so far.
kid has no stupid lolivoice, which was a pleasant surprise.
karumofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 16:12   Link #85
Blaat

Seen the first episode and I won't judge the show until I've seen the second episode (I'm really curious to see mother/daughter interaction) as for the first episode, the evil foster family was way too overtop to a point that it was just silly besides that I loved the setting and I've never seen Portuguese before in an anime, usually foreign languages in anime tends to be English or German
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 16:23   Link #86
kyouray
2D > 3D

Spoiler for First episode:
Old 2008-10-17, 17:34   Link #87
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
Great first episode. Outstanding animation, great character designs. I'm very much looking forward to where this is going. When I was watching it, for some reason I kept flashing on Fooly Cooly though. That just me or did anyone else think that too?
I had very very modest cowboy bebop flashes, but really for some reason I thought Lupin.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 18:01   Link #88
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
I had very very modest cowboy bebop flashes, but really for some reason I thought Lupin.
The OP was very Cowboy Bebop, that and it reminded me a lot of the Mushroom Samba episode (the setting).

Anyway it was a great first episode. I'm looking very much forward to seeing where it'll go from here.
Old 2008-10-17, 18:22   Link #89
G.o.S
~desu♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for white hair dude:

http://www.michikotohatchin.com/character/
The site also feature interviews with seiyuu for all the main chars and according to ANN, most of them are first time seiyuu for an anime series and most of them were in some live-action series before. I'm not too sure though, but the fact that I have no knowledge of the entire cast make this show freshly interesting for me at least, yay for no loli-sound-like-rie-voice
Old 2008-10-17, 19:08   Link #90
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Well that was...Terrible...

I guess maybe I saw something different from the rest that enjoyed it...Started out with typical action stuff then quickly devolved into boring comically overplayed abuse...Was any of this supposed to be actually engaging or entertaining...Even interesting at the least? Is the show even going to pretend your supposed to actually like any of these characters?

Sorry but pass can't find a reason for me to want to sit through another episode of that again...ick

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 21:40   Link #91
karumofin

just noticed the guy that hatchin imagined had the same tattoo as michiko, hm.
Old 2008-10-17, 22:05   Link #92
Tiran86

Ugh, that foster family reminded me of those kids in Elfen Lied who killed Lucy's dog. Its been awhile since I watched something with characters that pissed me off so much.

Anyways, not much opinion of the first episode other than hating the foster family. I might follow this, but so far I don't really have any expectations of it. I'll be glad if the only other time we see that family is them getting killed.
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 22:12   Link #93
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've pretty much had my fill of stories about abused children and bullying. Maybe they're designed to appeal to an otaku audience who have personal experience with bullying? I've seen this plot line enough now, thank you.

Is the author sufficiently unaware of Catholicism to know that priests aren't married? Considering he made the "sign of the cross" at one point, it's hard to imagine he's supposed to be some type of Protestant. The closest he could be is high-church Anglican, but I don't think they make the sign of the cross either.

I watched this because I thought Ergo Proxy was a pretty decent series. Though it took itself too seriously in the philosophy department, I did like the production and characters. This show is so generic that I'm afraid I'm out the door with Kimichi.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 00:38   Link #94
v1cious

wow, could you guys be any more shallow? sorry, but that's a really stupid reason to write off an entire series. it's pretty obvious the family won't be a regular theme. for goodness sakes she left the place at the end of the episode.
v1cious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 01:00   Link #95
DangerMouse

I think they needed to focus mostly on her this episode, because once they were together without this Michiko would have dominated the pair completely with her coolness but now we're also rooting for Hatchin and with the punch she finally threw she may have some spunk when Michiko and herself get into trouble later so she hopefully won't be just along for the ride. The reaction to the family seems to be pretty successful since their main purpose seems to have been for them to be hated by the audience to give Hatchin both a clear reason to want to leave really badly at the first chance she gets and to give her the basis for some future toughness, if she was pampered we probably wouldn't believe some of the stuff she'll likely be doing in the very near future.

Hating the entire series after the first episode just over the unbelievability or annoyingness of the brat family in Hatchin's part of the story doesn't really make sense given the nature of where this show is going. It's not like they will really play much of a role anymore seeing as they've seemingly fulfilled their role. They likely won't even show up ever again if this is a journey show following Michiko and Hatchin similar to Champloo now that Hatchin has left them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
This show is so generic that I'm afraid I'm out the door with Kimichi.
If "generic-ness" or the tone because of the family are the reason, I'd give the show atleast a second episode now that Michiko and Hatchin are together. The entire tone of the show is likely to change now and both of the great series that come up due to their connections; Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop (barring the space cowboy setting) were also rather generic in their basics and plot. It's success or failure will all come down to the same thing that made both of those shows successful after setting up how the characters met.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2008-10-18 at 01:51.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 01:06   Link #96
Tiran86

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1cious View Post
wow, could you guys be any more shallow? sorry, but that's a really stupid reason to write off an entire series. it's pretty obvious the family won't be a regular theme. for goodness sakes she left the place at the end of the episode.
I didn't write it off. Other than hating the family I have no opinion of the show whatsoever. I'm still planning on watching it because frankly, I have no idea what to expect other than an episodic action anime (and I'm not even sure if its supposed to episodic or not). We haven't seen the two main characters together aside from the end of the first episode. How can I write off a show before seeing the interactions between the main cast?
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 02:13   Link #97
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Is the author sufficiently unaware of Catholicism to know that priests aren't married? Considering he made the "sign of the cross" at one point, it's hard to imagine he's supposed to be some type of Protestant. The closest he could be is high-church Anglican, but I don't think they make the sign of the cross either.

A Catholic priest can be married. He could be a converted Anglican or Lutheran priest. Time to brush up on your Catholicism knowledge. That's 12 Hail Marys for you.
Old 2008-10-18, 03:44   Link #98
SneakerPimp

Looks like Michiko and Hatchin will get a Blu-ray (and DVD) release next January:

http://www.asianblurayguide.com/news...in_on_blu_ray/
SneakerPimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 04:10   Link #99
stewie0814

Indeed, the foster family was pretty annoying.
Spoiler:

Anyways, I can't say I'm thrilled about this series after watching the first episode, but I'll check probably 2 more and then call it quits if I don't find it interesting by then.
stewie0814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 06:47   Link #100
karumofin

Quote:
I've pretty much had my fill of stories about abused children and bullying. Maybe they're designed to appeal to an otaku audience who have personal experience with bullying? I've seen this plot line enough now, thank you.

I watched this because I thought Ergo Proxy was a pretty decent series. Though it took itself too seriously in the philosophy department, I did like the production and characters. This show is so generic that I'm afraid I'm out the door with Kimichi.
see, youre here for ergo proxy, im here for samurai champloo
i think only one of us can be satisfied, and by the looks of it im pretty sure i know who that will be.