AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2012-01-11, 22:07   Link #541
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPblueser View Post

But on a side note, I found it amusing that she came out of the store with such a guitar only because it is "cute" -

EDIT: Wait.... Could it be that they drew the guitar after one of Kakifly's? That would explain the "older" look.

I know right hehe, you have to admit a Heritage cherry sunburst Les Paul is actually really Cute Cool lol

For the Manga that is really good possibility, but in the anime, Animation staff has too deal with that kind of stuff. Mainly one of the Animation Directors Hiroyuki Takahashi , he is reasonable for Musical Instrument Design, and Musical Instruments.

Quote:
ah. So that's another confirmation.

By the way, I love your signature - kawaii! :P
thanks a user named blaze0041 made it for me I like yours too! Jimmy Page is my Favorite Lead Guitarist, I love Led Zeppelin! There my second favorite band! first being The Beatles

1.The Beatles
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Houkago Tea Time (lol no lie)
4. Wings
5. Dead Girls Monster (yep)
6. The Who
7. Queen

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=1975

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2012-01-11 at 22:36.
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 22:31   Link #542
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Rock Legends of the 1960s and 1970s...and a fictional Japanese High School Girl Rock Band from the late 2000s....nice.

At least from looking at how they did in the charts, they deserve it. And that they have been compared with those Rock Legends.
Old 2012-01-11, 22:36   Link #543
JPblueser
Guitarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
thanks a user named blaze0041 made it for me I like yours too! Jimmy Page is my Favorite Lead Guitarist, I love Led Zeppelin! There my second favorite band!

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=1975

Yeah. I noticed that Mio uses the same bass as John Paul Jones too. Really nice references for Led Zeppelin fans - haha

The EDS-1275. When I saw it in the manga, I though "Damn! It's perfect!"

Spoiler for Double-neck:

Her reaction was hilarious. xD

And.... Hmm... While I'm here... another thing that is puzzling me:

Spoiler for K-On!! Episode 20:

How in the crazy world of K-On! they managed to get THESE amps to play? Marshall JCM900 half stacks (head and cabinet) aren't that cheap. And more:

Spoiler for K-On! episode 12:

OK. Half stacks are one thing, but FULL stacks (head and two cabinets)?
Mio's bass amp seems really powerful too.

We don't see them often though. Only during the concerts.
Maybe they were rented? Perhaps they are Sawa-chan's?
Or maybe they belong to the school? O.o

Anyone?
Old 2012-01-11, 22:40   Link #544
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Yeah. I noticed that Mio uses the same bass as John Paul Jones too. Really nice references for Led Zeppelin fans - haha

The EDS-1275. When I saw it in the manga, I though "Damn! It's perfect!"

Spoiler for Double-neck:

Her reaction was hilarious. xD

And.... Hmm... While I'm here... another thing that is puzzling me:

Spoiler for K-On!! Episode 20:

How in the crazy world of K-On! they managed to get THESE amps to play? Marshall JCM900 half stacks (head and cabinet) aren't that cheap. And more:

Spoiler for K-On! episode 12:

OK. Half stacks are one thing, but FULL stacks (head and two cabinets)?
Mio's bass amp seems really powerful too.

We don't see them often though. Only during the concerts.
Maybe they were rented? Perhaps they are Sawa-chan's?
Or maybe they belong to the school? O.o

Anyone?
as crazy as this sounds, I think those are the School AMPS, probably bought from the past Light music club with the school club budget, or perhaps its Mugi's? I mean I wouldn't want to practice with those massive amps, it would be way to loud hehe I remember in the manga, Azusa was surprised to use that awesome gear!
Old 2012-01-11, 22:44   Link #545
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Light Music Club has got some money over the years. It is easier when you don't have to buy the student's instruments.

But also easier when you have a rich girl that either buys everything else, or gets sweet deals because her family owns the music shop.
Old 2012-01-11, 22:53   Link #546
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The Light Music Club has got some money over the years. It is easier when you don't have to buy the student's instruments.

But also easier when you have a rich girl that either buys everything else, or gets sweet deals because her family owns the music shop.
In SE2 episode 10 Death Devil (past (light music?) club band name) used that same gear
Old 2012-01-11, 22:55   Link #547
JPblueser
Guitarded

Quote:
as crazy as this sounds, those are the School AMPS, probably bought from the past Light music club with the school club budget. I remember in the manga, Azusa was surprised, and exited to use that awesome gear!
Well... That sure sounds crazy! xD
Makes sense though.... (I think). Well.... nothing surprises me anymore.

They were being made during the same period the old K-On club was active, I think.
Really nice.

I just wish they showed the Marshall Plexi in the anime too.
It appeared briefly in the manga during the second training camp. I think that's the actual amp Azusa was drooling at. (Another Zeppelin reference, perhaps? haha. Page used similar amps)

Spoiler for Training camp:

Spoiler for Jimmy Page and his Marshalls:
Old 2012-01-11, 23:13   Link #548
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Judging by Sawako's age, I'd guess the school got those amps at least 4 to 7 years before Ritsu's group used them. But that is still only as far back as 2000 I think.

And someone had money then too...or knew someone, considering the guitar Sawako used to have.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-01-11 at 23:33.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 23:26   Link #549
JPblueser
Guitarded

Quote:
Judging by Sawako's age, I'd guess the school got those apms at least 4 to 7 years before Ritsu's group used them. But that is still only as far back as 2000 I think.

And someone had money then too...or knew someone, considering the guitar Sawako used to have.
Also, JCM900 are quite "metal-ish" amps, so it fits them.
They were discontinued around 1999.

Indeed.

EDIT: a reissue is still in production though.
Old 2012-01-12, 19:27   Link #550
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

I've had him since Christmas, but finally got around to play the intro riff thing in Ui's character B-side song 'Shiny GEMS'. His name is Martin. He is a really old 70'year old Mandolin " 1948 Martin 2-15 Mandolin Sunburst" and his case is really archaic! I have to use rope to tie the head stock part of the case, cos its falling apart I got a really good deal on him at a Vintage Guitar store in chicago, he was in the store for like 4 years and was set at $2000. No one bothered to buy him for 4 years, and since it was Christmas time he sold it for $999 half off! He sounds really nice, and was the only Mandolin in the store that I liked, just cos it sounded angelic, and looked cool!

Spoiler for pictures:
Old 2012-01-12, 22:33   Link #551
JPblueser
Guitarded

Quote:
I've had him since Christmas, but finally got around to play the intro riff thing in Ui's character B-side song 'Shiny GEMS'. His name is Martin. He is a really old 70'year old Mandolin " 1948 Martin 2-15 Mandolin Sunburst" and his case is really archaic! I have to use rope to tie the head stock part of the case, cos its falling apart I got a really good deal on him at a Vintage Guitar store in chicago, he was in the store for like 4 years and was set at $2000. No one bothered to buy him for 4 years, and since it was Christmas time he sold it for $999 half off! He sounds really nice, and was the only Mandolin in the store that I liked, just cos it sounded angelic, and looked cool!

Spoiler for pictures:
Really nice! And a killer deal!

There's something about old instruments that is simply magic :P
Congratulations!
Old 2012-01-12, 23:04   Link #552
JPblueser
Guitarded

Ah. I forgot to post the pictures of the actual amps.
Here they are:

Spoiler for Marshall JCM900 4100 half-stacks:
Old 2012-01-12, 23:05   Link #553
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I suppose these actual instruments and equipment can also give us a scale on the girls.
Old 2012-01-12, 23:10   Link #554
JPblueser
Guitarded

And this is Azu-nyan's guitar. Yeah, it's a Mustang, but the exact model seems to be the 1969 reissue Made in Japan (with the matching headstock)

Spoiler for Fender MG69/MH:

Link to the oficial Fender Japan site:

http://fenderjapan.co.jp/mg69mh.html
Old 2012-01-12, 23:14   Link #555
JPblueser
Guitarded

Quote:
I suppose these actual instruments and equipment can also give us a scale on the girls.
hehe. Yeah :P

They all seem a bit small, to be honest.
But it just makes them more "moe"

By the way, does anyone know what bass amp Mio uses on the concerts?
Old 2012-01-15, 03:57   Link #556
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
hehe. Yeah :P

They all seem a bit small, to be honest.
But it just makes them more "moe"

By the way, does anyone know what bass amp Mio uses on the concerts?
They're all Japanese schoolgirls. By those standards, they're all actually quite average in the height department.

There are two amps that Mio uses. The big one is an Ampeg head and cabinet. Which ones, I couldn't tell you . . . my eyes aren't that good. Like the big Marshall full-stacks, they're likely property of Sakuragaoka High.

Then, there's a small one she uses in the 'Cagayake Girls' opening from Season One, and canonically, during the performance of "Pure Pure Heart" in the Mio Fan Club episode in Season Two (and, presumably, during their practice jam sessions.) That one is a Fender 'silverface' amp. Specifically, it looks to be a Fender Bassman 20. It's an all-tube amp made between 1982 and 1983, featuring a pair of 7025/12AX7/ECC83 tubes in the pre-amp stage, and a pair of 6V6GTs in the power stage feeding 18 W to a 15" speaker.

Around 500 were made, making them rather rare (and I have one. It was not cheap.) And unlike the old tweed or blackface Bassman amps (which you're likely to find in the hands of a tone-obsessed six-string guitarist,) the silverface Bassman amps were actually good at being bass amps (they feature closed speaker cabinets and deliver pure, and most importantly, clean tube tone all the way up the volume dial.)

tl;dr - The big one's an Ampeg. Her personal amp is a Fender. Either way, Mio has good (if somewhat expensive) taste in amps.
Old 2012-01-15, 04:14   Link #557
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Which stands to reason considering her taste in headphones.
Old 2012-01-15, 06:13   Link #558
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

hahaha, just wanna share with you guys... (kinda K-On related in some ways).

been playing Maddy Candy on my guitar when the string snapped. and since my allowance doesn't come in, say, a week at best, so i had to improvise on it...

PROBLEM: string just snapped. i wanna play my guitar more. i don't have a spare and money to buy new strings...

PROBLEM SOLVED....
Spoiler for solution?:

(that's why i don't cut the extra length of string on the end...)

wait, what gauge of strings do Yui use? i believe there's an episode which shows this somewhere... (i use gauge 10)
Old 2012-01-15, 14:24   Link #559
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

I've been doing that since I started playing guitar. I get two to three times the play on strings doing it.
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 04:51   Link #560
trenton_dawn
Silt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightMusicBand View Post
wait, what gauge of strings do Yui use? i believe there's an episode which shows this somewhere... (i use gauge 10)
If you look at S2E6, there's this scene where Yui is changing her strings:
Spoiler:

D'addario has a pretty specific coloring system for their packs and you can deduce from the image that Yui is using nickel-wound 12 gauge strings. No wonder she had so much trouble learning (well, assuming she's been using 12's all this time). On the plus side they're great for down-tuning if she ever decides to get into that.
trenton_dawn is offline   Reply With Quote