AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2012-01-13, 13:17   Link #441
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Each series brought more life to the franchise, but as you open new doors, it leaves a lot of open space for development they may never address. Give in take, I've no qualms.

As for this, well if they are removing good parts of the original series, then its tricky if I'll enjoy them as much.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 13:19   Link #442
Mirron

Send a message via AIM to Mirron Send a message via MSN to Mirron
I like A's best, and I'd say the original season is my least favorite. Not because it's bad, just not quite as interesting to rewatch. Guess it's the comedic aspects being more prevalent, perhaps.

But, the simple thing here is the longer something goes on, the more likely there will be people who dislike the new things and prefer old stuff. The series hasn't crashed, but there are people who wish it had I suppose (which seems odd, but not really the point here).
Mirron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 13:24   Link #443
Laith
Even if it just for a bit
*Author

It's more like, "it's new and it feels the same/is too different, I don't like it" which is understandable and happens to every franchise.
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 16:13   Link #444
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
Each series brought more life to the franchise, but as you open new doors, it leaves a lot of open space for development they may never address. Give in take, I've no qualms.

As for this, well if they are removing good parts of the original series, then its tricky if I'll enjoy them as much.
Which could have been avoided with 1/4th the number of characters. Sure, some people may have liked the new characters, but there was such a huge excess of them in StrikerS, and a lot of them will never get development because they are simply not liked enough. Quality over quantity I say.

I think the Nanoha movie proved that the only reason StrikerS is the most popular of the three seasons, is because it was the franchises most recent installment. The Nanoha movie sales were better than any season and it was a remake of the season which did the worst. A's had a huge hurdle to overcome, because the first season was not taken too highly, meanwhile, strikers was a direct sequel to a great season.

Last edited by Demi.; 2012-01-13 at 17:14.
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 16:37   Link #445
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Quality over quantity I say.
Agreed completely. Bigger not always means better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
I think the Nanoha movie proved that thew only reason StrikerS is the msot popular of the three seasons, is because it was the franchises most recent installment. The Nanoha movie sales were better than any season and it was a remake of the season which did the worst.
An interesting point of view, personally while A's is my undeniable favourite i grow to like Season One as my second favourite after a re-watch. The MOVIE 1st reminded me about the stuff they cut and so i decided to rewatch the series and i find it pretty funny, even the first chapters have it's own peculiar charm(aside of the shamefull fanservice, darn you 7 arcs xDU) and i would liked to see the side characters fleshed out more(seems that a lot of things happened between Nanoha's brothers as also with Arisa and Suzuka's respective families and employees). Stuill i liked the path the series took after Fate entered the scene and the fact that in the Original Series Nanoha do have some troubles with friends and family about her abscense during her magical girl activities. That's why i think the MOVIE 1st and Season One can be complementary to each other.

As for the sales, StrikerS got it a lot easier because it had the support of two previous Seasons that opened the path and make "Nanoha" a recognized franchise(everybody hated Spider-man 3 despite how well it did in ticket sales). Season One started with obscure support from the Toraha series whila A's had to convince a dubitative audience with mixed opinions about S1, and it did an excellent job at it xD!

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 18:40   Link #446
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

While quality over quantity is indeed something I often support, I must say I find the Vivid cast, which exists almost entirely out of these 'excess characters', to be very entertaining.

Quality is good, but quantity yields more variety. And variety is the spice of life.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 18:45   Link #447
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Sales for StrikerS surpassed those of A's in Japan.

As for me, I wouldn't be here if not for StrikerS. I always skipped Nanoha because the summary just screamed "generic mahou shoujo" it wasn't until StrikerS came along with 'dimensional bureau' in the summary that I got interested.
I guess I was affected for different reasons, since I was noted that Nanoha was essentially magical girl infused with high powered weapons. It was an amusing twist at the time and the lead of Nanoha was unique enough given the genre to hold me off to the Nanoha-Fate conflict that elevated the anime a level, and A's just put that a bit higher. It was A's though that finally gave me what I saw as a coherent and well planned story that I really never saw again from this franchise.

The StrikerS aspects would have initially turned me away. However, I do sorta respect the concept of the StrikerS attempt at more expansive world building which was a severe weakness of the first 2 seasons, though unfortunately the actual product felt like half the content of A's in twice the time. And that budget...

Truthfully, the franchise in its current state would have never attracted me, but then again I guess I am a fan of traditional MG at heart. Magical boy Marty Stu doesn't work, but I admit my biases. :3 (There is only one Touma, and he punches bitches!)

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 18:56   Link #448
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Truthfully, the franchise in its current state would have never attracted me, but then again I guess I am a fan of traditional MG at heart. Magical boy Marty Sue doesn't work, but I admit my biases. :3
I'm pretty sure Tsuzuki or at least the people that works with him is plenty councsious of this, hence the movies and the PSP games based on the more popular seasons xD.

While also acontinuing the story in Force for those who got engaged by the concept presented in StrikerS.

I'm also a fan of Mahou Shoujo at heart and what i liked the most about the franchise was the interesting concept of mixing the values and charm of a mahou shoujo anime with the action and flashy moves of a mecha series. StrikerS inclined much more for the mecha half of the series and Force is going even further into that, i struggled enormously with that for a looooong time.

But i started to make a mental division between S1/A's and StrikerS/Force in terms of conceptualization in order to be able to stop the contionuous comparission. Not everything about the latter two is bad, tough. I'm glad for the appearance of certain characters like Subaru and Agito. And while i'm not dying of love for Force, i at least find Veyron and Tohma interesting and i'm bitting my nails to see what will happen to Signum/Agito.

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-01-13, 19:11   Link #449
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
I think this discussion should be moved to the franchise discussion thread. It's veered a bit offtopic for this thread. I'll post my thoughts there.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 13:35   Link #450
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
This might be a random thought, but it just came to me. What if Chrono replaced Yuuno's role in fighting off Vita? He's a more capable combatant than Yuuno is, and I always thought it was a little strange for the ferret to be fighting dead even with someone who smashed Nanoha. Yuuno's specialty is barriers, and Vita's supposedly good at smashing them, and Yuuno holding her off while healing Nanoha might have been a bit unreasonable. At least, Chrono fighting off Vita might make more sense, and it would probably make for a more flashy battle than Yuuno on the defensive the entire time.

Though I wouldn't put much hope on it :X
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 13:58   Link #451
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

^ I don't think Yuuno holding Vita off is unreasonable at all. It was stated that his barriers are outstandingly strong(Nanoha herself that she's completely unable to break those unless she goes completely full out on Yuuno) so that battle was strong evidence for that. Plus, don't get so ehated up, Yuuno only hold off Graf Eisen's basic form. I'm pretty sure he will have troubles against Rakketen Form and Eisen's other modes.

But i agree with you in that Chrono fighting Vita in the movie will make good sense, since the Lieze Twins are now absent and the main reason was busy in that battle during A's was because he was absent at the moment(only Yuuno, Nanoha, Fate and Arf were present during the first encounter with the Wolkenritter), and on the second Match Chrono was surprised by one of the Masked Men and his attention was splitted into investigationg the Wolks and these guys. Now Chrono probably will have more free time on his hands to unleash more of his awesomeness xD.

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-01-14, 15:24   Link #452
Sunder the Gold

I've made peace with the idea that Yuuno might not appear in the movie AT ALL, and it doesn't bother me so much now. He's not an essential character to Hayate and the Wolkenritter's story, and the movie doesn't suddenly cause Yuuno to disappear from the rest of the franchise.

Still:

We barely see Yuuno's fight against Vita, so we can't say that she didn't use other modes or any Cartridges. We didn't see Yuuno use any Chain Binds either, but that doesn't mean he didn't try that. He might have even used Shoot Barret, or the other tricks revealed in GoD. (Certainly, he seemed to be using Protection Smash.)

Also, fan-subtitle confusion aside, Yuuno is an expert on Fields (Kekkai, often translated as "barrier") and defensive spells (including Shields and what the franchise actually calls Barriers, which are like another type of shield), among other things.

So he's an expert at both setting up magical spell zones (kekkai) AND self-defense. He can even combine the two to create defensive bunker "force fields".

And yes, Nanoha praises his defensive power just as Aki says, on the first Megami Sound Stage drama CD.

Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 2012-01-14 at 15:50.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 15:39   Link #453
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
(Certainly, he seemed to be using Protection Smash.)
Considering how we see a Green and a Red lightning bolt clashing to each other repeatedly in the sky during that battle, it seems that Sunder is correct on this.

By the way, do you guys think that we're gonna get to see Signum's crowning moment of cockiness towards Fate where she smuggily tanks Photon Lancer without even flinching?

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-01-14, 15:49   Link #454
Sunder the Gold

I don't know about cocky and she sure wasn't being smug about it (or at least not obviously so), but we might see it.

It's likely to happen faster, without as much dramatic build-up, though.
Old 2012-01-14, 23:40   Link #455
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
It's likely to happen faster, without as much dramatic build-up, though.
I know, Fate is supossed to be this superfast fighter and she still allow Signum enough time to adopt a pose and make a dramatic swing with Laevatein accompanied with a cool speech about casting her armour xDU.

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-01-15, 00:02   Link #456
Sunder the Gold

I was actually thinking about how long it took for the Photon Lancer shots to reach Signum.

Although, come to think of it, Signum wouldn't be so unprofessional as to let the surprise go to waste. If she was counting on those shots to splash harmless off of her and for Fate not to realize that, Signum should have been moving forward to attack and take advantage of her momentary shock.
Old 2012-01-15, 00:05   Link #457
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Psychological warfare should not be underestimated. Make your enemies think they stand no chance and you're already halfway.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 00:30   Link #458
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Psychological warfare should not be underestimated. Make your enemies think they stand no chance and you're already halfway.
Indeed.

Rather than AMF or Eclipse effects, it would have been nice for our heroes to face something like the Nightmare Factory from the Battle Fantasia megacrossover.

Hit our heroes where they're weakest without actually taking away the power that makes them magical girls. Also puts the emphasis and screentime on character development rather than training episodes.

This would have been a good enemy to follow after the Book of Darkness incident, and would have been a much more appropriate time for Fate to have her Lotus Eater Dream.
Old 2012-01-15, 02:00   Link #459
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Hit our heroes where they're weakest without actually taking away the power that makes them magical girls. Also puts the emphasis and screentime on character development rather than training episodes.
What bothers me about the training episodes is that in this franchise victories are achieved by new weapons instead of new techniques 9 times out of 10. Having upgrades is always cool and all but i would like to see an important achievement being accomplished by the fruit of our heroes's effort rather than a shinny new toy/upgrade.

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-01-15, 03:39   Link #460
Sunder the Gold

Nanoha's victories against Fate were entirely about new skills.

However, while we got to see that she had definitely been working to improve herself after her defeats, the original season never "wasted" time showing us the training.

Likewise Arf's improvements under Yuuno's teaching.