AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2012-01-16, 14:11   Link #561
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton_dawn View Post
If you look at S2E6, there's this scene where Yui is changing her strings:
Spoiler:

D'addario has a pretty specific coloring system for their packs and you can deduce from the image that Yui is using nickel-wound 12 gauge strings. No wonder she had so much trouble learning (well, assuming she's been using 12's all this time). On the plus side they're great for down-tuning if she ever decides to get into that.
Whoa! Those are some heavy gauges! Knowing Yui she probably didn't know there were different gauges; or there were different types of packs, and bought the pack that appealed to her the most. I like to stay 10
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 17:26   Link #562
trenton_dawn
Silt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
Whoa! Those are some heavy gauges! Knowing Yui she probably didn't know there were different gauges; or there were different types of packs, and bought the pack that appealed to her the most. I like to stay 10
Yeah, 12 is definitely on the heavy side. Larger gauge strings are reputed to have a fuller tone and more sustain, with the downside that they're more difficult to play. I stick with 11's, myself, except on my Blacktop Strat because adjusting the Floyd Rose tremolo for the increased string pressure is too much work for me.

I've been trying to remember if Yui had changed the strings before, in a different scene. In the episode I mentioned, she said she'd changed them two months before. I seem to recall a time when Azusa was surprised when Yui said she'd never changed them, but I could be remembering wrong (Yui certainly didn't seem to know what she was doing).

It's also likely that the guitar came with 12's. Changing gauge on your instrument necessitates adjustments to the bridge (and preferably to the truss rod) in order to maintain playability and intonation. I don't think Yui knows how to change those things, and with her perfect pitch sense, she would recognize the change in intonation. So my guess is she's using whatever gauge the Les Paul had on already.
trenton_dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 18:05   Link #563
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The first time I think was when they took Gitah in for servicing (Season One, episode 11 I think), as oppose to this time when she's changing the strings herself (Season Two, episode 6 I guess).
Old 2012-01-16, 21:52   Link #564
JPblueser
Guitarded

Quote:
Spoiler:

D'addario has a pretty specific coloring system for their packs and you can deduce from the image that Yui is using nickel-wound 12 gauge strings. No wonder she had so much trouble learning (well, assuming she's been using 12's all this time). On the plus side they're great for down-tuning if she ever decides to get into that.
Say what? 0.12's? No way - lol
O.o

If that's true, then I take my hat off to her. They are hard as hell to bend (and the HTT solos have quite a lot of bending)

I don't think Azusa or Mio would let her put such heavy strings on the guitar though.
Maybe they messed up the color a bit and it's just the 0.09-0.42 pack (it looks more like purple to me, I think):

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDe...69&productid=4

But Paul Kossoff is said to have used 0.12 strings, so it's not that impossible to play bending-style solos with them (How the heck did he do that? And with THAT vibrato? O.o - For those who don't know, Koss played guitar with FREE. "All Right Now" was their most famous song).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
I like to stay 10
Same here

Last edited by JPblueser; 2012-01-16 at 22:06.
JPblueser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 23:56   Link #565
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Yeah, 12 is definitely on the heavy side. Larger gauge strings are reputed to have a fuller tone and more sustain, with the downside that they're more difficult to play. I stick with 11's, myself, except on my Blacktop Strat because adjusting the Floyd Rose tremolo for the increased string pressure is too much work for me.

I've been trying to remember if Yui had changed the strings before, in a different scene. In the episode I mentioned, she said she'd changed them two months before. I seem to recall a time when Azusa was surprised when Yui said she'd never changed them, but I could be remembering wrong (Yui certainly didn't seem to know what she was doing).

It's also likely that the guitar came with 12's. Changing gauge on your instrument necessitates adjustments to the bridge (and preferably to the truss rod) in order to maintain playability and intonation. I don't think Yui knows how to change those things, and with her perfect pitch sense, she would recognize the change in intonation. So my guess is she's using whatever gauge the Les Paul had on already.
It was S1E11

She mentioned her guitar didn't sound right, Azusa takes a look at it and finds out that she didn't clean it properly, strings are old, neck is warped.
Old 2012-01-17, 03:11   Link #566
trenton_dawn
Silt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The first time I think was when they took Gitah in for servicing (Season One, episode 11 I think), as oppose to this time when she's changing the strings herself (Season Two, episode 6 I guess).
Yeah, that's right. Good memory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPblueser View Post
Say what? 0.12's? No way - lol
O.o

If that's true, then I take my hat off to her. They are hard as hell to bend (and the HTT solos have quite a lot of bending)

I don't think Azusa or Mio would let her put such heavy strings on the guitar though.
Maybe they messed up the color a bit and it's just the 0.09-0.42 pack (it looks more like purple to me, I think):

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDe...69&productid=4

But Paul Kossoff is said to have used 0.12 strings, so it's not that impossible to play bending-style solos with them (How the heck did he do that? And with THAT vibrato? O.o - For those who don't know, Koss played guitar with FREE. "All Right Now" was their most famous song).
Bending 12's (I'm assuming you mean .012's and not .12's, which lie somewhere in 5-string bass territory) just takes a lot of practice and finger muscle building...and callous building! I've tried friend's guitars with 12-gauge strings and they tough but seem doable (probably because I'm already used to 11's?). If you develop the muscles then you can do it. I'm not really sure if Yui has that kind of strength in her but she does practice a lot.
Old 2012-01-17, 07:03   Link #567
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

All this talk about guitar strings has got me wondering... Did D'Addario pay to have their strings featured in the anime? Was it based on Kakifly's input, or did KyoAni feature D'Addario strings of their own accord?
(For context, in KyoAni's anime adaption of Nichijou, a Snickers bar was featured in episode 14)
Old 2012-01-17, 14:19   Link #568
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well with Nichijou, there was a Snickers in the manga panel as well for that scene's origin.
Old 2012-01-17, 15:06   Link #569
trenton_dawn
Silt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
All this talk about guitar strings has got me wondering... Did D'Addario pay to have their strings featured in the anime? Was it based on Kakifly's input, or did KyoAni feature D'Addario strings of their own accord?
(For context, in KyoAni's anime adaption of Nichijou, a Snickers bar was featured in episode 14)
K-ON also features amp brands like Peavey and Marshall, and gives names of brands that were previously only implied (Fender Mustang, Korg Triton). My guess is that Kakifly probably had input, but limited by what brands KyoAni was able/willing to license.
Old 2012-01-18, 13:17   Link #570
JPblueser
Guitarded

Quote:
Yeah, that's right. Good memory!

Bending 12's (I'm assuming you mean .012's and not .12's, which lie somewhere in 5-string bass territory) just takes a lot of practice and finger muscle building...and callous building! I've tried friend's guitars with 12-gauge strings and they tough but seem doable (probably because I'm already used to 11's?). If you develop the muscles then you can do it. I'm not really sure if Yui has that kind of strength in her but she does practice a lot.
Oh. haha. Sorry. It was a typo. Yeah. I meant 0.012's

Yes, that is true. It's all a matter of personal preference, I guess.

And.... By the way, now I remembered.

Yui's Les Paul can't be used. It had the plastic on the pickguard! xD
I forgot that little detail.

Unless the previous owner didn't take it off (like Ricchan did - lol)

So.... Either that or the "Standard" truss rod cover was really just a flaw (making it a 2007 Standard).
Maybe they were trying to make it clear that it was a Standard? Oh welll.... Why I'm even complaining? xD
Old 2012-01-18, 20:21   Link #571
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

I think those companies "paid" for their names to be in the anime. Placement advertising.
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 16:11   Link #572
Blossom550

i got my first guitar a squire se special strat
Blossom550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 17:21   Link #573
trenton_dawn
Silt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom550 View Post
i got my first guitar a squire se special strat
Congratulations! The first guitar is always special. Finish looks pretty good, too.
Old 2012-01-28, 17:49   Link #574
Blossom550

thanks & its good too & i learn U&I azusa's part also i love the pickguard
Blossom550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 00:11   Link #575
Chancedelavee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPblueser View Post
And this is Azu-nyan's guitar. Yeah, it's a Mustang, but the exact model seems to be the 1969 reissue Made in Japan (with the matching headstock)

Spoiler for Fender MG69/MH:

Link to the oficial Fender Japan site:

http://fenderjapan.co.jp/mg69mh.html
Well that's it, except that Azusa's model has white pegs (anime). The only faithful model I found for sale cames from Ishibashi's website.

Not a very good deal IMO, except maybe for the most dedicated (crazy^^) fans.
Chancedelavee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-03, 21:26   Link #576
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

This is in Season 1 episode 12, what kind of AMP is Azusa using? It looks like a Marshall, but with a fender logo!
Old 2012-03-03, 22:10   Link #577
trenton_dawn
Silt

It's probably just animator error, but it could always be a Fender amp modded with a custom faceplate.
Old 2012-03-04, 01:50   Link #578
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Like the Ui with the custom hair and ribbon?
Old 2012-03-27, 04:45   Link #579
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation No.

Quote:
Spoiler:

They really look more like D'Addario XL20's which are gauged .009-.042.
And there's really no way a beginner is going to be jamming out on .012s or .013s - that's just insane especially for some of the stuff they're playing in the show. So I say she's using .009s.

I've used them - they're not terrible but I don't recommend them for use with a Floyd Rose tremelo as the anti-corrosive coating on them makes them easy to slip out of the tremelo blocks with time. At least, that's what happened to one of my guitars when I went on the "great string brand try and buy binge". Should be fine on a stoptail guitar like a Les Paul or SG.

Guessing: the entire series solicited manufacturers prior to production with then current instruments for product placement. Hence most of the instruments and amps.
Old 2012-03-27, 05:27   Link #580
trenton_dawn
Silt

I don't think they're .009 gauge strings, I've bought that model of D'Addario string and the packaging is clearly purple. I also can't find any images on Google search that suggest otherwise. But yeah, I've used them on a Floyd Rose bridge and experienced the same thing as you
Spoiler for (reference: picture from other discussion about this):