AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-21, 09:18   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 551 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Well, you guys know the drill by now! Summary:

-Usopp's ministory involves him stuffing himself to the point that he gets fat.

-Although Ace wanted to make Whitebeard become the Pirate King, it turns out that the reverse was true all along: Whitebeard wanted to make Ace king.

-Apparently, Rouge wanted to name her baby "Anne" if it were a girl, and Roger decided on "Ace" if it were a boy. Luffy met Ace when he was about 3-5 years old, and hence already knew that the both of them weren't blood relatives. It turns out that the marines figured out Ace's identity 2 years after he left his home in East Blue, but by that time, he was already under Whitebeard's care.

-Meanwhile, Whitebeard's crew finally arrive, and they blow up the gates of justice, allowing Luffy's group passage (heh, looks like my lil' prediction came true after all! ). The Moby Dick enters Marineford, along with the other 14 devision captains on 3 other ships. However, Whitebeard alone disembarks from his ship.....

-The Shichibukai face off against about 5-6 pirate captains from the New World who are allied with Whitebeard. As this goes on, Garp thinks of Ace's mother, Rouge. Whitebeard says that it's been a few decades since him and Sengoku have last met, and asks him if his "son" (Ace) is safe. He looks Ace in the eyes and tells him to endure a bit more. Ace calls out to the man he recognizes as his father......

Well, well, now the party's finally getting started, huh? I really can''t wait to check out the rest of the division commanders and those other captains from the New World (heh, I wonder if Lola's mother is amongst them?). So I'm guessing that Whitebeard is going to fight Sengoku? Or perhaps all 3 admirals are going to gang up on him instead? Either way, things are gonna be wild from this point on....

As far as the thing about Whitebeard intending to make Ace king goes, I think some people already predicted that when it was revealed Ace was Roger's son, yes? I guess this really does make my idea of Ace taking Newgate's place as captain of his crew when the old man finally bites it more plausible......

And of course, now to wait for the pics!

Last edited by marvelB; 2009-07-22 at 03:56. Reason: Fixed the ministory portion of the summary, since the earlier one was a mistranslation
Old 2009-07-21, 09:21   Link #2
Master Mold
Banned

one word, just one word.

FINALLY!
Old 2009-07-21, 09:25   Link #3
andy

Waiting for pics look like war has begin.
Old 2009-07-21, 09:29   Link #4
patnam

the greatest battle in one piece has begun!!!
Old 2009-07-21, 09:29   Link #5
SMASHERJACKSON

still wondering what BB will do, i get the feeling that the wg + 7sealords wont be able to beat wb's crew alone which is when BB will make his appearance to show exactly how much difference his/his crews strength makes but idk just baseless speculation.

what im also curious about is what dragon will do? will he rly let his outmatched son just wander off into the lions den? as well as not taking the oppertunity to weaken WG forces? if he does indeed show up ill be interested to see his relaitionship with wb and bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnam View Post
the greatest battle in one piece has begun!!!
this should be in the top 5 or top 3 greatest battles not the top though otherwise the rest of the seriese will pale in comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mold View Post
one word, just one word.

FINALLY!
+ 1
Old 2009-07-21, 09:39   Link #6
marvelB

Honestly, I wouldn't expect Blackbeard to appear until the very end of the war. I'm still pretty sure that he had Shiryuu take him to level 6 of Impel Down so he could gather some more crewmembers, and it'll probably take him a while to travel through the calm belts to Marineford. But y'know, this makes me wonder what will happen with Magellan... Will he be called to Marineford to assist in the battle? He's already showed how scary he can be in Impel Down, and I'd think he would be a great help to the marines. So maybe if he gets summoned, Blackbeard and co. can just stow away on the ship and reveal themselves when the time is right.....
Old 2009-07-21, 09:42   Link #7
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
Whitebeard's finally making his move. I can't wait to see the Admirals throw down.
Old 2009-07-21, 09:43   Link #8
Master Mold
Banned

Thumbs up

I wonder now, could the whole Blackbeard situation be the reason why The Whitebeard Pirates haven't found One Piece in the current story? I would also like to hear just what was Newgates thoughts where on One Piece before he wanted to make Ace Pirate King, Nice story telling Oda, Oda is story telling, I would like to know but NOT before a good long over due epic battle.

@marvelB:Smoker could recruit Magellan into his ranks once he gets into position/rank to head to the new world down the line, to go after the SH crew.
Old 2009-07-21, 09:52   Link #9
SMASHERJACKSON

Quote:
@marvelB:Smoker could recruit Magellan into his ranks once he gets into position/rank to head to the new world down the line, to go after the SH crew.
its about time we saw smoker get involved in the story again

also considerng WB's character i wouldnt be suprised if he does infact get the oppertunity to beat BB or whoever else will defeat him via assistance but refuses to accept this and goes down on his own accord.

@marvelb - luffy still needs to defeat mags to redeem his potential to be PK imo

Last edited by SMASHERJACKSON; 2009-07-21 at 10:56.
Old 2009-07-21, 10:01   Link #10
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMASHERJACKSON View Post
@marvelb - luffy still needs to defeat mags to redeem his potential to be PK imo

That's what I was getting at, actually. Since Luffy didn't get the chance to beat Magellan at Impel Down, he could get another opportunity to do so at Marineford. That way, he still has his own epic boss fight without getting in the way of the warring pirates and marines.
Old 2009-07-21, 10:01   Link #11
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

I think I already can see that Whitebeard and his crew really are going to just blow out at least three quarters of those marines. It's been built up so dramatically that he'll obviously go down in a glorious brawl-fest. I want to see what he can do with that halberd so bad...

He could slice the heavens with his raw spirit alone, while fighting Shanks, so what about when he's feeling a torrent of emotion? Wow. This is gonna be probably one of the most memorable moments in all of anime's history. It's great to know that he also has no devil fruit powers,and that the 'old school' is still the 'real thing'.

I like the idea that you can rise to the top without having an absolutely strong devil fruit power to accelerate you there. It's more than cool to see a real human being fighting it out for what he believes in. I think that since reading this spoiler, my respect for Whitebeard has grown about ten times over. I salute him.

I really believe that Whitebeard is going to die, but the marines will probably be so ruined it will open the floodgates for a new, and uncontrollable torrent of pirates to flood the Grand Line. In conjunction with the Impel Down arc, if the prison had broken down, and all those criminals DID escape, then it would have made for a supremely exciting manga.

I like the idea that there are super powerful pirates in the New World, such that Whitebeard himself would call upon them in time of need. It's also nice to know that pirates in One Piece are much like those in real life, what with the forming of leagues and partnerships.

It would also be nice to see a few tragic deaths in this war, of people who really do matter. Although I don't really want to see anyone die, I think that if this whole thing finishes off, and nobody on the pirate side of any consequence is dead, then it would cheapen the impact of Whitebeard's (presumed) death.

I love how the manga is going right now. Blackbeard started all of this. It's all his fault ( ) But after making all of this trouble, I want to see exactly what he's going to pull out of his sleeves to balance it off in his favour. As in: exactly what did he stand to gain in this carnage? It's brilliant carnage, to be sure, but wow...after causing all of this, I hope he does something extraordinary.

If he does, however, be the one to stand over Whitebeard at the last, drinking rum, and laughing maniacally, darkness streaming out from his sides, before plummeting his fist right into Whitebeard's already floored head, I think that this whole set up would be worth it.

Manipulating everything form the sidelines, and pitting the world powers against one another, and taking the crown moment. Wow. That's worthy of my respect.

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2009-07-21, 10:06   Link #12
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
I wonder now, could the whole Blackbeard situation be the reason why The Whitebeard Pirates haven't found One Piece in the current story? I would also like to hear just what was Newgates thoughts where on One Piece before he wanted to make Ace Pirate King, Nice story telling Oda, Oda is story telling, I would like to know but NOT before a good long over due epic battle.

Good to see you in a good mood

And I don’t want to shattered that mood, but Im a Pessimist by nature, and I have to wait and see if Oda is going to deliver with a good epic battle, or he just made a tease with this, and in reality, there will be no chance of battle, rather a plot where or Either WB is captured without much fight, or WB escape with Ace, with little resistance.

Authors, specifically Manga authors, love to this kind of cliffhangers, to later on not create the due fight that readers want to see (remember that famed fight fans wanted between Hyuga Neeji and Sasuke?)
Old 2009-07-21, 10:37   Link #13
SMASHERJACKSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
I think I already can see that Whitebeard and his crew really are going to just blow out at least three quarters of those marines. It's been built up so dramatically that he'll obviously go down in a glorious brawl-fest. I want to see what he can do with that halberd so bad...

He could slice the heavens with his raw spirit alone, while fighting Shanks, so what about when he's feeling a torrent of emotion? Wow. This is gonna be probably one of the most memorable moments in all of anime's history. It's great to know that he also has no devil fruit powers,and that the 'old school' is still the 'real thing'.

I like the idea that you can rise to the top without having an absolutely strong devil fruit power to accelerate you there. It's more than cool to see a real human being fighting it out for what he believes in. I think that since reading this spoiler, my respect for Whitebeard has grown about ten times over. I salute him.

I really believe that Whitebeard is going to die, but the marines will probably be so ruined it will open the floodgates for a new, and uncontrollable torrent of pirates to flood the Grand Line. In conjunction with the Impel Down arc, if the prison had broken down, and all those criminals DID escape, then it would have made for a supremely exciting manga.

I like the idea that there are super powerful pirates in the New World, such that Whitebeard himself would call upon them in time of need. It's also nice to know that pirates in One Piece are much like those in real life, what with the forming of leagues and partnerships.

It would also be nice to see a few tragic deaths in this war, of people who really do matter. Although I don't really want to see anyone die, I think that if this whole thing finishes off, and nobody on the pirate side of any consequence is dead, then it would cheapen the impact of Whitebeard's (presumed) death.

I love how the manga is going right now. Blackbeard started all of this. It's all his fault ( ) But after making all of this trouble, I want to see exactly what he's going to pull out of his sleeves to balance it off in his favour. As in: exactly what did he stand to gain in this carnage? It's brilliant carnage, to be sure, but wow...after causing all of this, I hope he does something extraordinary.

If he does, however, be the one to stand over Whitebeard at the last, drinking rum, and laughing maniacally, darkness streaming out from his sides, before plummeting his fist right into Whitebeard's already floored head, I think that this whole set up would be worth it.

Manipulating everything form the sidelines, and pitting the world powers against one another, and taking the crown moment. Wow. That's worthy of my respect.
ur post prty much sums up my thoughts on this chapter though, i wonder is it simply fate or was ace targetted by BB from the beginning? whatever way the war goes, itll definately be a game changer in terms of one piece world power balance and is very likely to affect the rest of the story - but thats just pointing out the obvious.
Old 2009-07-21, 10:47   Link #14
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Quote:
Me and you both.
I been liking Whitebeard for that very same reason, that old school-moral driven personality he has.

Quote:

I really don't believe Blackbeard created all of this carnage intentionally, it just turned out that way. Not only is Blackbeard not smart enough (in my opinion), but he was initially going to go after Luffy until Ace showed up.

Quote:
I still maintain the fact that Whitebeard doesn't really care for One Piece, and when I think about it, what's the different between being called the Pirate King and the Strongest Man in the Seas (or "Ruler of the Seas" as Garp said). One Piece is only a legendary treasure left by Gol D. Roger, I don't why Whitebeard would be anxious to get it to be given a title that he already has (or something equivalent to. We see that the man has the power to call forth pirates who aren't even part of his crew to fight by his side.

I think Whitebeard is still a Pirate for the sake of being a Pirate (even though we now know that he wants to make Ace the Pirate King, man imagine how badass that is to have Whitebeard on your team trying to make the King). The same thing go for Shanks, why would we want to find One Piece? He already knows what One Piece is and the True History (unless he's like Whitebeard and want to make Luffy the King or something like that).
Old 2009-07-21, 10:49   Link #15
Prestige

So, the greatest battle of One Piece has finally started, this war will shape the future of One Piece world only a way what Oda knows...

Whitebeard's fleet has finally emerged and they decimated Gate of Justice along with any marine fleets who has been sent to trail them.

There is no returning to old status quo-peace, atleast one of great powers of the world is sure to fall and unless it ends to World Goverments decisive victory then a more chaotic times will be ahead.

Though if World Goverment will be victorous then even more hideous and absolute opression and crushing dominance is ahead.

Spoilers hint that Whitebeard might even reach Ace in THIS chapter, if this is true then Whitebeards initial assault is really mighty one.

Quote:
this should be in the top 5 or top 3 greatest battles not the top though otherwise the rest of the seriese will pale in comparison
By scale and amount of forces we wont be likely to see anything of this scale, when/if Strawhats unite then battles will probly center more around them and be smaller in scale.

At THIS moment its a WAR, not a small battle but a war that will shape the future of entire world.
Old 2009-07-21, 10:51   Link #16
SMASHERJACKSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddiKtioNn-BlaCk View Post
I think Whitebeard is still a Pirate for the sake of being a Pirate (even though we now know that he wants to make Ace the Pirate King, man imagine how badass that is to have Whitebeard on your team trying to make the King). The same thing go for Shanks, why would we want to find One Piece? He already knows what One Piece is and the True History (unless he's like Whitebeard and want to make Luffy the King or something like that).
this brings up something ive been wondering abut for along time, which is how much does shanks know about one piece/raftel/the true history, was he on the last expedition to raftel? did roger go the final bit of the journey alone or with only a few crew members [raleigh + unknowns] - u may be right that he along with WB are pirates for the sake of it, which to me reinforces the notion that one piece is peace/freedom something along those lines.

Also, wonder how much or if at all well see akainu's ability's in this war, would be a farce if we didnt at least get a glimpse of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
By scale and amount of forces we wont be likely to see anything of this scale, when/if Strawhats unite then battles will probly center more around them and be smaller in scale.

At THIS moment its a WAR, not a small battle but a war that will shape the future of entire world.
true by scale it seems to be one if not the biggest, but dont forget the revolutionary's, other yonkou, and also oda's writing, i for one didnt expect things back when bb defeated ace to turn out quite like they have though i did expect a brawl of some sort but nothing of this magnitude.
Old 2009-07-21, 11:04   Link #17
Rainbowman

Here's my review:

Mini-story: Usopp going after a giant bird. Makes me wonder if this is one of the same birds that picked on Chopper.

Main Story: Whitebeard wanting Ace to be Pirate King. Would make more sense than the opposite I'd say. The war has begun. I wonder if this is a good time to set "Battle of the Heroes" from Star Wars episode 3 to this particular war?
Old 2009-07-21, 11:08   Link #18
kari-no-sugata

I really want to see some scans from this chapter! The "cold war" (as it were) finally becomes a "hot war" and what should be the final battle of this story arc begins. Bit hard to figure out the exact ordering of events (like, did WB's crew get to the Gate of Justice before Luffy?) and some of the spoiler summary seems to be speculation on part of the spoiler writer, who unfortunately didn't remember the names of all the new pirate captains from the New World who arrived to confront the Shichibukai, but I guess we'll get that info sooner rather or later. I wonder if Hancock knows Luffy has arrived / is heading towards the place...
Old 2009-07-21, 11:15   Link #19
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Holy Cow! I am freaking out at these spoilers! Amazing, Oda is indeed the God of storytelling.
Old 2009-07-21, 11:22   Link #20
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

There is still the unknown factor of Shichibukais, who would refuse to fight alongside the Government. Two already defected. One would do anything to save Luffy, who will be arriving shortly. One should have a lot of respect against the person he was supposed to fight on the orders of an organization against his own identity. Especially if he was already aware of Ace's real identity (I can also understand now why Shanks went to Whitebeard in person to ask him call Ace back).

Of course, we are talking about only three of four emperors. The last one is stil missing, and it is unknown which side that group will choose.

One thing not to forget is what Blackbeard wil do. He can easily disrupt the balance, if he joins forces with many other similar natured pirates.

Anyways, I am looking forward to the fights of the pirates siding with Whitebeard. I think it is clear that this fight will change everything. And the impel down's destruction will look like nothing compared to this.
Closed Thread