AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-09-06, 21:14   Link #1
beyondsaving

Question Question on Chouji [Manga]

Well since i put manga in the title, im not going to bother with spoiler tags... Well anyways In the manga when chouji takes the last pill thing that gives him 100x his previous strength his appearance changes to a slimmer looking chouji. What im wondering if the way that he looks then will stay that way or if he will revert back to his old big-boned self?
Old 2004-09-06, 21:24   Link #2
zarkand

I don't think it was ever stated in the manga (so I maybe wrong) but those pills he took are supposed to burn off extra fat in order to give a large charka boost. So assuming Chouji's not dead, whether or not he will regain that extra fat is depenant on himself to keep it off.
zarkand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 21:34   Link #3
Ketsueki

Send a message via AIM to Ketsueki Send a message via MSN to Ketsueki Send a message via Yahoo to Ketsueki
Might do... But I think he was drawn skinny for the fangirls! haha. Seriously, I read a few comments of how chouji looked "hot" so thats probably why. He might stay like it, or he might revert back for the comedy factor.
Ketsueki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 22:03   Link #4
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
lol i can imagin Ino googling over Chouji after and if he comes back.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 22:58   Link #5
Genei Killua
Mashou no Tenshi

Send a message via AIM to Genei Killua
My prediction: Chouji will keep on getting skinnier and skinnier, his skin and fat literally falling off his bones at a tremendous rate, until eventually nothing will be left except a maggot-filled coffin. That's because he should be dead after taking the third pill.
Genei Killua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 23:11   Link #6
yinstro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genei Killua
My prediction: Chouji will keep on getting skinnier and skinnier, his skin and fat literally falling off his bones at a tremendous rate, until eventually nothing will be left except a maggot-filled coffin. That's because he should be dead after taking the third pill.
why should he be dead? who told you that the 3rd pill guarantees death? as far as his appearance, he kinda needs to eat to use his families ninjutsu to its best, so he could be skinny, but his ninja abilities will suffer.
yinstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 23:21   Link #7
Genei Killua
Mashou no Tenshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinstro
who told you that the 3rd pill guarantees death?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouji, the man himself
If I use that, I'll most definitely die.
So, I guess I could be wrong, considering Naruto is a shonen, but I believe the presumption here should be that he will die, especially considering the whole butterly (which sorta equals death in Japanese symbolism) stuff.
Old 2004-09-06, 23:33   Link #8
yinstro

Quote:
So, I guess I could be wrong, considering Naruto is a shonen, but I believe the presumption here should be that he will die, especially considering the whole butterly (which sorta equals death in Japanese symbolism) stuff.
and shikamaru believes he wont die, but says it has serious side effects. Remember chouji isnt has self esteem issues and doubts himself. even the sentence imo doesnt seem to represent fact but belief. I dont say it doesnt risk death, but i highly doubt it guarantees death. Otherwise shikamaru would not believe chouji wouldnt die in the fight.
Old 2004-09-06, 23:34   Link #9
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Yes we all saw him die, yet people still are in denial...
Now as you said it is a shonen manga, so it's possible kishimoto will change his mind, but that's unlikely. Unless the sj editors try to pressure/bribe kishimoto because choji got a huge boost in the favorite character polls, he's dead and will remain so.
Old 2004-09-06, 23:44   Link #10
yinstro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Now as you said it is a shonen manga, so it's possible kishimoto will change his mind, but that's unlikely. Unless the sj editors try to pressure/bribe kishimoto because choji got a huge boost in the favorite character polls, he's dead and will remain so.
how did you see him die? is falling to the floor equal death? i seen many people fall to teh floor in ths manga and not be dead..
Old 2004-09-06, 23:52   Link #11
yinstro

Quote:
how did you see him die? is falling to the floor equal death? i seen many people fall to teh floor in ths manga and not be dead.., he may be dead, but i think its far from a forgone conclusion
Old 2004-09-06, 23:53   Link #12
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

*sigh* As usual, the answer to most of the debates on this forums is we don't know yet. I, personally, hope he dies, because it would make the whole arc more powerful. I rather like it when main characters are killed, especially not in a stupid way.

I would say Chouji knows the effects of the pills better than Shika does, but we'll see when this arc is over. Soon, I hope.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 23:57   Link #13
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
how did you see him die? is falling to the floor equal death? i seen many people fall to teh floor in ths manga and not be dead..
reread that chapter. It's pretty clear that the intent was to show him dying. The flashbacks, the butterfly, and the way he collapses all point to it being a death, not simple exhaustion. Ask yourself who you've seen, not just in this manga, but in any anime manga or anime, that survived that kind of scene.
Old 2004-09-07, 00:02   Link #14
yinstro

Quote:
reread that chapter. It's pretty clear that the intent was to show him dying. The flashbacks, the butterfly, and the way he collapses all point to it being a death, not simple exhaustion. Ask yourself who you've seen, not just in this manga, but in any anime manga or anime, that survived that kind of scene.
naruto and sasuke to name a few
Old 2004-09-07, 00:02   Link #15
Genei Killua
Mashou no Tenshi

It really seemed like a death scene to me, and a really nice one at that. When Shikamaru sees the butterfly right after that scene, it is my opinion that he realizes his best friend has just died.
Old 2004-09-07, 00:10   Link #16
yinstro

Quote:
It really seemed like a death scene to me, and a really nice one at that. When Shikamaru sees the butterfly right after that scene, it is my opinion that he realizes his best friend has just died.
in fiction i usually save my hes dead until someone comes out and says he's dead. I just dont think its a forgone conclusion hes dead, him especially, because he has no visible or guaranteed signs of death. now neiji, is fairly hopeless never the less i dont think either of these 2 are guaranteed dead yet. though for neiji it would take more than just shizune to keep him alive
Old 2004-09-07, 00:15   Link #17
FireBorn

Quote:
Yep. I'm sure Naruto dying would really add to the Naruto anime. Chouji, on the other hand, if he were to die it would probably add to the anime, since he wasn't ever a big charecter to begin with. (OR WAS HE?? omg pun)

It seemed like he was dead, but I don't think we should jump to conclusions. I personally think him dying would add to it, but we won't know till we are told, yo.
FireBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 00:21   Link #18
yinstro

did some looking on japanese butterfly myths i saw that it was involved in two stories
in one represented the dead soul of a mans wife come to comfort him as he died

in another represents the rebirth and regeneration, or a passage to growth

sooo i think the symbolism could go either way
Old 2004-09-07, 00:32   Link #19
socomberetta
Dreaming of you.

Chouji looks better dead than when he was alive.

Like Veritas said, his death will make this arc more powerful. Especially if Sasuke is taken back to the Leaf Village. If he is taken back he'll have to deal with the fact that his actions caused the death of one of his fellow leaf nins. And there's also the issue over how Shikamaru will handle his death and whether or not he'll blame Sasuke for it. Then there's Ino, how will she deal with Chouj being dead?

With Chouji dead, there will be a lot of ideas that Kishimoto can play with to further character and plot development.
socomberetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 00:35   Link #20
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
not quite, it wasn't the same. Sasuke's fake death didn't have the symbolism or the sense of finality in the flashbacks. Sure it seemed to be a death scene, but it didn't have the same feel to it. And what scene are you talking about for Naruto? The one with Kabuto? He had the greatest medic nin of all time healing him, and once again no symbolism. Neither really had the same feel as chouji's collapse. If you don't believe me reread those parts, then reread chouji's. You'll notice a difference. It's not just that a character collapses, it's the way they do it, and the content that preceded it.