AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 63 52.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 30.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 10.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 5.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.83%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-27, 13:05   Link #101
typhonsentra

To be fair though, Taiga probably hurt him too after he confessed to her and she rejected him. On top of that I think he handled rejecting her confession in the first book/second episode about as well as one could.
Old 2008-12-27, 13:11   Link #102
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
There is an essential difference - Taiga was not playing with his feelings, She rejected him, plain and square - it hurts at first, but this is a right thing to do when you do not like that person or else you would hurt him/her more.

Kitamura is just playing with Taiga's feelings (even though unintentionally) and never makes it fair and square - in other words a typical harem lead.

I would take Taiga's intentional way of hurting ten thousand times over Kitamura's unintentional way of hurting.

His rejection in second episode had nothing to it since he keeps on giving her mixed signals over and over again taht can make his rejection misunderstood.
Old 2008-12-27, 13:24   Link #103
typhonsentra

Again, being kind to a person even after rejecting them is not cruel. They're classmates and share mutual friends, it's natural they'd have interactions in day to day life. He can't help it if she takes his kindness the wrong way. And by the way, she didn't seem to either. She fully understood why he did it, and it didn't seem to hurt her feelings at all.

Spoiler:
Old 2008-12-27, 13:41   Link #104
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

I've said it before, the way Kitamura rejects Taiga in episode 2 is true to the normal Japanese way of rejection, he is not sending mix signals. Taiga's way of rejection is considered rude and degrading by Japanese culture. This is totally opposite to Western style of thinking where people think wishy-washy is rude/bad and clean cut direct is good. In Japan direct is consider confrontal and people are suppose to read between the lines. This is a very real cultural difference and why Americans/Westerners always had trouble dealing with the Japanese in business because the Japanese will never say yes or no directly in negotiations, and this communication difference happens in real life in Japan in everyway imaginable.

Taiga has fantasies about Kitamura is only because she didn't want to give up, not because Kitamura didn't reject her fully (which he most definitely did, by Japanese standard, when he said "hey we can be good friends" which is THE most standard polite rejection line in Japanese culture). It is not something that you can fault Kitamura for as he is playing by the rules.

Also it is okay for some people to want to be friends of the opposite sex without going romantic, Kitamura (and Ryuji) is the type of people that does that.
Old 2008-12-27, 13:59   Link #105
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Spoiler:
Hear, hear.

Somehow I guess that having someone unknowingly give you false hope is better than being on stage in front of a jeering crowd and feeling terribly lonely after your father "abandoned" you again.
Old 2008-12-27, 14:53   Link #106
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
Somehow I guess that having someone unknowingly give you false hope is better than being on stage in front of a jeering crowd and feeling terribly lonely after your father "abandoned" you again.
I would rather not get hurt at all in either of these situations, thank you very much.

For me, Kitamura is sending mixed signals to Taiga and thats why she herself is doubting why he is acting the way he is acting. Even considering the differences of cultures Kitamura's way of treating Taiga is surely sending mixed signals to her. Since though she was rejected and worked hard, and now he is giving her false hope for it, this is what I condemn, since it is playing with girls feelings. If it would be just Taiga projecting her feelings then, yes, Kitamura is not a t fault but the way he acts gives more than enough space to misunderstand. You can be kind but still tell that it is meant as friends and nothing more. Yet it leaves the ambiguity of such kindness.

A typical harem lead act, if you would look at harem shows you would see harem leads acting the same way as Kitamura does. And I always hated harems and the harem leads, so the way Kitamura acts just doesn't really click with me. In my book he really deserves a good punch in face maybe then he would realize that he has to bit more careful when dealing with a girl who confessed to you and is obviously still in love.
Old 2008-12-27, 15:30   Link #107
Jaden

Where did Taiga pick up the "loli-in-a-box-appeal" ?

I think I commented on this after episode two or so, but it bothers me how all the main characters can be such drama queens. Their interactions often seem overdone and unrealistic, I guess it's because of the manga-anime conversion. Otherwise I like Toradora a lot, definately a highlight of this season, 8/10.
Old 2008-12-27, 16:51   Link #108
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I think I commented on this after episode two or so, but it bothers me how all the main characters can be such drama queens. Their interactions often seem overdone and unrealistic, I guess it's because of the manga-anime conversion.
Um.

THEY'RE TEENAGERS.
Old 2008-12-28, 03:17   Link #109
Tiran86

Not all teenagers are drama queens. Not saying some (or even most) aren't, but being a teenager doesn't automatically make you one.
Old 2008-12-28, 05:07   Link #110
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

No, but, as you said, most teenagers are rather self-centered and overdramatic.

I should know, heh.
Old 2008-12-28, 06:02   Link #111
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
No, but, as you said, most teenagers are rather self-centered and overdramatic.

I should know, heh.
We ( all of us) should know. All of us are or were teenager , no?
Old 2008-12-28, 07:00   Link #112
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I barely remember last week. How the hell am I going to remember ten years ago?
Old 2008-12-28, 14:46   Link #113
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I barely remember last week. How the hell am I going to remember ten years ago?
I do. I remember most small conversations I have with everyone, as far back to 1990. Most of my friends feared me because I have such memory.
Old 2008-12-28, 15:17   Link #114
Darknemo2000

No wonder. Best friends are not the ones that remember the most, but the ones that remember the least...
Old 2008-12-28, 15:26   Link #115
Tiran86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
We ( all of us) should know. All of us are or were teenager , no?
Sure, but like I said, not every teenager is a drama queen. Most of my friends weren't, and I wasn't.

Quote:
No wonder. Best friends are not the ones that remember the most, but the ones that remember the least...
What?
Old 2008-12-28, 15:29   Link #116
Darknemo2000

Lets just say that if you remember too much you will have troubles on keeping friends. Sometimes it is better to forget some things...
Old 2008-12-28, 15:48   Link #117
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
High School Drama can easily consume a teenager. It's usually pointless and stupid, but it will matter to a teenager
Old 2008-12-28, 22:01   Link #118
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Pfffft, no point in restricting it to high school ... I see far too much college or faux-adult drama that isn't any more sophisticated or mature. Actually I'm seeing too much of it right now with a few individuals in my real life :P Nothing like having a nice evening spoiled.
Old 2008-12-28, 23:46   Link #119
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I think I commented on this after episode two or so, but it bothers me how all the main characters can be such drama queens. Their interactions often seem overdone and unrealistic
I get this feeling as well. Attempts at introspection and drama feel somewhat forced in this anime, I'm not sure if I could describe why.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2008-12-29, 00:16   Link #120
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Jesus, they're kids. They're not going to be the most complex of people.

At least the people in this work feel a bit more like real teenagers than in most anime...
Closed Thread