AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-08-13, 17:57   Link #2221
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
But I am watching Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, and loving both the show and the various references in it, including those to LS.
I am too.. I just watch the first episode of Zetsubou Sensei.. OMG... how can anyone translate this one... the references are flying off the shelf on this one, and most of the obscure or very, very Japanese.... they even made fun of the Rakuten Golden Eagles' logo AND the manager's bald head... So many references to historical figures and books... aiyaiyai... I don't think I'm qualify to comment on Zetsubou sensei... I'm in total awe. You would have to be a full-fledged Japanese intellectual well versed in every aspect of post-war Japan to really get all the references. This is almost like an independent film of the anime world. I really like it and I admire people who created it. I really doubt there will be more anime like it, since I can't imagine any otaku getting most of the reference. This anime is a work of art.

I think I'll stick to the everyday, simple pop culture references of Lucky Star.
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 20:42   Link #2222
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urotsukidoji View Post
And for the record, Nanako Kuroi really looks nothing like Edward Elric, due to the completely different eye color, hair length and style, clothing, gender, and overall body structure. Besides, do you actually see Kuroi strutting around with an automail arm? :P
Also, Kuroi sensei is tall... we all know how much of a shrimp Edward is...

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 20:59   Link #2223
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Bandai-America has Suzumiya Haruhi series... and with the forceful product tie-in, it would be almost astounding if Bandai didn't also do Lucky*Star's english anime release.

If I were the owner of Bandai, I'd probably shoot anyone who screwed up those negotiations It should be interesting though watching the dance between Kadokawa, Bandai, and KyoAni.
Semantics, semantics, but... Kadokawa brought Haruhi to the U.S. themselves, and simply chose Bandai U.S.A. as a partner/contractor to do production/distribution work on their behalf. This is similar to how they chose Funimation to do the marketing/distribution for FMP:TSR, with ADV doing the dubbing, or how they got RightStuf to work on The Third. I'm sure there was some sort of negotiations involved, but it wasn't your typical license negotiation game. So, it actually doesn't matter much whether Bandai works on Lucky Star or not, and there isn't even any sort of guarantee that Bandai would work on the next season of Haruhi Suzumiya. In the end, it's Kadokawa themselves who'll benefit most from the tie-ins and so on (which is to say, just as it is in Japan). So, it's semantics, but relevent nonetheless. This is why it'd be fair to say that pretty much anything Kadokawa releases in Japan, including Lucky*Star, is "licensed" from the get-go (they have a company to represent their licenses in the U.S.), but we're simply waiting for a sort of "statement of intention to release".
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 21:54   Link #2224
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ah, I see.... I thought Bandai was more of an equal partner in the sense of purchasing the content for dubbing and distribution.

Hmmm, makes me wonder how much Kadokawa was involved in the dub project. Actually, the whole power arrangement is interesting since often the "written material" (manga, etc) people sign away creative control to the animation producers, which sometimes gives us the eye-searing trainwrecks manga-readers love to hate. Synergistic Leveraging *cough* 'blarrrr'

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-08-13 at 22:08.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 22:06   Link #2225
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Ah, I see.... I thought Bandai was more of an equal partner in the sense of purchasing the content for dubbing and distribution.

Hmmm, makes me wonder how much Kadokawa was involved in the dub project.
If you want my guess, I bet it's some sort of profit-sharing scheme, but there's no way to know what goes on behind closed doors. From what I could tell from the marketing campaign leading up to the Haruhi release though (incl. those ASOS videos), it seemed like it was probably Bandai guiding the process, with Kadokawa overseeing/approving (which would make sense -- the whole reason to partner with a local company like that would be to draw on their experience/expertise). That being said, Kadokawa apparently did keep the rights to the English Adaptation (as per the bottom of the box). They have Bandai listed as "co-producer" and "distributor".

All in all, I think it's a pretty interesting and smart arrangement for all parties, and I bet we'll see more to come.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 22:11   Link #2226
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It is kind of nice to see the japanese industry getting past the "why on earth would someone not from Japan be interested in any of this stuff?" and being smart about the execution.
Old 2007-08-13, 23:51   Link #2227
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
It is kind of nice to see the japanese industry getting past the "why on earth would someone not from Japan be interested in any of this stuff?" and being smart about the execution.
Unlike say, Toei... *cough*4kids*cough*

Old 2007-08-15, 07:38   Link #2228
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

A friend of mine in another formulated this idea. All credit goes to him.

Character Counter Parts

Quote:
I've managed to formulate character counterparts. Kagami's group however is lacking one more girls to complete the table.

Konata --- Misao --- Patricia
Tsukasa --- Yutaka
Miyuki --- Ayano --- Iwasaki
Kagami --- Hiyori

Counterparts are based on matching personalities. Very hard though.

CONCLUSION: Somebody else is missing.
Who?
Old 2007-08-15, 13:06   Link #2229
Minorou
Hmm...

Send a message via AIM to Minorou Send a message via MSN to Minorou
Judging from wikipedia, I can't see any others that would fit. The only other character their age would be Shiraishi. Unless there's a character not listed that's in the manga... I wouldn't know.
Old 2007-08-15, 13:35   Link #2230
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Kagami --- Hiyori
The grouping only kinda make sense, but if you need to add anyone to this list then it would be Akira. That's if this group is "tsundere-type girls who blushes a lot". Akira a closet Tsundere who blushes...kinda.
Old 2007-08-15, 23:30   Link #2231
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

For those who care, EnA have just released episodes 12-16 so catch up while you can!

Old 2007-08-15, 23:39   Link #2232
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Cripes..... I'll have to head to campus for that amount of MB. Glad to hear they're back in ops.
Old 2007-08-15, 23:56   Link #2233
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Lucky Star Haiku

I wrote this for the Saimoe Tournament... to be posted when Kagami is up for vote. It's a haiku for Kagamin:

はにかみな
鏡の下に
兔恋

Hanikami na
Kagami no shita ni
Usagi koi

English Translation:
Underneath the embarrassed mirror (Kagami), a rabbit's love affair.

Anyone else want to write poems for L*S? (probably not). I am going to work on one for Tsukasa too.
Old 2007-08-17, 12:08   Link #2234
Claymore_Obsessed

I wrote this small poem for Akira Kogami.
She somehow inspired me a Norse mythology feeling...

A Lucky Star shines in the night sky
Her Channel is seen throughout the Nine Worlds
Our Navigator guides us through the seas of Midgard

Her sleeves are longer than Jörmungandr
Her ashtray is heavier than Mjöllnir
Her angry voice is deeper than Ginnungagap

Mightiest of idols
Rival of main characters
Enemy of producers

Smile, rage, beauty and contempt
The otaku's navigator and Minoru's terror

explanation of the mythological references:

-Midgard is the world inhabited by humans
-Jörmungandr is a giant sea serpent that encircles Midgard
-Mjöllnir is the hammer of Thor, his mighty weapon
-Ginnungagap was a vast windy emptiness that existed in the beginning
Old 2007-08-17, 21:26   Link #2235
Zeedox

Send a message via MSN to Zeedox
^- I wonder if Akira would be happy and appreciate your effort, or if she would dislike being likened to such powerful attributes... >_>

Love the poem though! (^w^)b To quote Kona: Get!
Zeedox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 13:18   Link #2236
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Oh dude, that's beyond awesome. I think Akira will cry you a river when she sees this. Man you HAVE to let Kadokawa/Lucky Channel know about this poem. A gaijin love poem for Akira-sama using Nordic mythology? You'll probably be FEATURED on Lucky Channel. How about it? If you're not sure how I'll send it to them for you while giving you the full credit. Neh Neh? Oh yeah did I tell you ever since "Vinland Saga" Viking /Nordic mythos is becoming popular in Japan?
Old 2007-08-19, 05:14   Link #2237
Mr-Kory

great poem. yea send it in
Mr-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 19:21   Link #2238
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

On this latest episode of Lucky Channel Radio Show, in the "Moshimode Lucky Channel" corner, Shiraishi read an English fan e-mail on the air. It's just a simple fan letter. This means they read and CARE about gaijin fan mail. I will be helping Claymore_OB-san sending this love poem in. Hopefully we can hear it in a week or two on the air.

Here's my translation of the poem; it's not very good cus I'm not really good at writing, but hopefully they can understand it:

===

"Akira-sama of the Æsir"
『エーシル*のあきら様』

A Lucky Star shines in the night sky
幸運の星は夜空で照てるし、

Her Channel is seen throughout the Nine Worlds
九つの世界*中彼女のチャネルが見られる;

Our Navigator guides us through the seas of Midgard
私達のナビゲーターはミズガルズ*の海を通して導く。

Her sleeves are longer than Jörmungandr
彼女の袖はヨルムンガンド*より長くて、

Her ashtray is heavier than Mjöllnir
彼女の灰皿はミョルニル*より重くて、

Her angry voice is deeper than Ginnungagap
彼女の怒声はギンヌンガガプ*より深いである。

Mightiest of idols
アイドル界の無敵者、

Rival of main characters
本編キャラのライバル、

Enemy of producers
プロデューサーの大敵。

Smile, rage, beauty and contempt
微笑、憤怒、美貌、軽蔑;

The otaku's navigator and Minoru's terror
おたくの操縦者とみのるの恐怖。

===
脚註:

*エーシル (Æsir): 北欧神話における最高神オーディンを長とする神々の系統
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%...82%B7%E3%83%AB

*九つの世界: 北欧神話に登場する世界の総称
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B9%...B8%96%E7%95%8C

*ミズガルズ (Midgard): 北欧神話に登場する人間の住む領域
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%...83%AB%E3%82%BA

*ヨルムンガンド (Jörmungandr): 北欧神話に登場する怪物の世界より長い大蛇
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%...83%B3%E3%83%89

*ミョルニル (Mjöllnir): 北欧神話に登場するトールがもつ鎚
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%...83%8B%E3%83%AB

*ギンヌンガガプ (Ginnungagap): 北欧神話に登場する、世界の創造の前に存在していた巨大で空虚な裂け目のことである
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%...82%AC%E3%83%97

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-08-20 at 11:40.
Old 2007-08-20, 13:42   Link #2239
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

AVPlaya, Claymore_Obsessed, that is outstanding!

I think KyoAni and Kadokawa at least have now realized that there is a huge potential (and actual) anime audience outside Japan. I think the obvious knowledge of a current show like Lucky Star that was shown by the audience at AX -- in the Timotei question, especially -- may have surprised and impressed them and got them thinking of ways to capitalize. The fact that the show is popular "world-wide" is already being mentioned in Japanese publicity.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 14:20   Link #2240
Claymore_Obsessed

I'm glad you like my poem, thank you all

and the good news is, the poem has just been sent to LC !!! ^^

So we better cross our fingers and see if AVPlaya (who deserves a huge THANK YOU for his support ) and me will be featured on LC soon

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen