AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Durarara!!

Notices

View Poll Results: Durarara!! - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 21 31.34%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 26.87%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 29.85%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 5.97%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.48%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.49%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-14, 15:36   Link #21
sikvod00

I recall a previous episode (maybe more than one?) that showed that their was a somewhat close connection between Kida, Izaya, and Saki. I actually fooled myself into thinking that their relationship was the key to Izaya's weakness\soft side\humanity, or provided some explanation or sob story as to why he's so twisted. Well, this episode totally destroyed that naive thought; they were just additional pawns in his chess piece. Silly me.
Old 2010-05-14, 17:28   Link #22
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Izaya is an ass hole -__-
Old 2010-05-14, 17:38   Link #23
ARQ

hmm after rescueing saki, Kadota's group mentioned a "horoda" which coincidentally seems to be the name of that shady looking guy who got owned by celty and recently joined the yellow turbans. Assuming their the same person, I wonder how this is gonna turn out...sounds like recipe for some problems down the line
Old 2010-05-14, 17:51   Link #24
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
I hope there are more Izaya-hate after this Episode.
Nah, just love him even more. Dude's a villain, why would truly acting like one make me hate him?

Anyways, fantastic episode. With the boring Anri arc, I'd forgotten just how good DRRR!! can be when it's focusing on characters actually worth the attention. And Izaya and Kida are more than worth it.

I agree that Walker's scene stole the show though. Definitely want to see more of that sweet creepy side of his. And Erika needs to start showing hers too.
Old 2010-05-14, 18:40   Link #25
velderia
Former NEET.

SO MANY EPIC MOMENTS IN THIS EPISODE!!!

10/10

And yeah, I hate Izaya now. He's a good villian though... If that makes any sense. @_@

Spoiler for JAJAJAJAN!:
Old 2010-05-14, 19:04   Link #26
Chuumi

I'm really glad that the Yellow Scarves arc finally began, I was starting to get a bit tired of Anri... I also happen to love Kida, and I am sure that his supermegacoolness is going to make this arc great, at least to me.

I thought this episode was pretty interesting, and I finally began to feel som love towards the Kadota-gang! I didn't really care to much about them earlier, they were sort of just characters who were... there, and came with some funny comments once in a while. But in this episode I saw them in a completely different light, especially Walker! I was wondering what the comment about "not using gasoline in the van" was all about, and I certainly got my answer in this episode .

Not sure what to think about Saki yet, but I get this feeling that something is wrong with her - well that's pretty obvious if she feels that she can trust someone like Izaya. I loved her voice though! And about whether to hate Izaya or not - so far I'm finding it impossible to hate him. Come on, the guy is a genious, and not to forget, absolutely hilarious! I just can't dislike a character who brings so much epicness to an anime. Then again, I might change my mind...

I have to say this was another great episode, with some excellent voice acting, especially by Miyano Mamoru and Fukuen Misato.

This is my first post on AnimeSuki btw :>.
Old 2010-05-14, 19:29   Link #27
Iron Maw
Banned

As usual, very nice episode though I have to agree with somewhat erratic pacing complaints, doesn't detract much thankfully.

It was nice to get some backstory on Masaomi, I however was not surprised at the sinister nature of his, Saki and Izaya relationship. Van Gang as always was awesome in this episode specifically Walker and Kadota. Definitely surprised they were in the Blue Squares originally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
I hope there are more Izaya-hate after this Episode.
If they didn't hate him after almost making a girl commit suicide, or, stealing Celty's head to forfill his own ambition (and amusement) they aren't going to hate him now. Opposed to most characters in this series, he is most transparent about his personality and goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARQ View Post
hmm after rescueing saki, Kadota's group mentioned a "horoda" which coincidentally seems to be the name of that shady looking guy who got owned by celty and recently joined the yellow turbans. Assuming their the same person, I wonder how this is gonna turn out...sounds like recipe for some problems down the line
Guess Blue Square members don't have much loyalty huh?

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2010-05-15 at 05:21.
Old 2010-05-14, 20:13   Link #28
Eater of All
NOM

As always, when people like Walker open their eyes, you know someone somewhere is going to get screwed.

A fairly good episode this week, with the long-awaited reveal of Kida's background. To be honest, it felt strange at first why Kida would suddenly rejoin the Yellow Scarves even though he's scared so shitless by the incident back then; it's not like he's that close to Anri or has known her for that long. His little speech near the end however made me realize that he's actually taking this opportunity to sort of atone for his past sin, hoping that if he can pull this one off he'll be able to face Saki again. Pretty tragic, especially considering that in the end he's still doing nothing but dancing in Izaya's palm.

And speaking of Izaya, I don't quite get the reason why he was messing with Kida one year ago. Entertainment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Why was Anri following Kida?
Since ep17, I've been waiting for Anri to notice, via her Zombie Spy Network, that something is up with her two friends. I assume she's here at the hideout to confirm it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
You know, as much they tried to place importance on Izaya's speech about God and that stuff, I think that it failed in comparison to the one where he was burning the chess board. And it wasn't because it was a funny scene (it was) but rather because after he assigned Shizuo as the King and Celty (where are you T_T?) as the Queen, when he got to the part ''and the Joker is...'' and stopped and just threw away the cards, I seriously thought that he was about to say ''...is me.'' Which I suppose is how Izaya views himself in this war. He might be the one who is pulling the strings from the background, but he still considers himself as a fool.
I was thinking maybe the Joker represents someone even he can't control (Shingen?) but I like your idea better yeah.
Old 2010-05-14, 21:21   Link #29
Kirarakim

Although I find the yellow scarves kind of meh group, Kida's background was certainly worth the wait. And I thought Miyano's performance showing Kida's frustration at being powerless to prevent what happened to Saki was perfect. After this episode I can safely say Kida and Mikado are my two favorites.

But I agree with everyone else Walker stole the show. I loved his dorky speech so much.

As for Izaya he isn't my favorite character but I do enjoy him as villain.
Old 2010-05-14, 22:26   Link #30
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by velderia View Post
SO MANY EPIC MOMENTS IN THIS EPISODE!!!

10/10

And yeah, I hate Izaya now. He's a good villian though... If that makes any sense. @_@

Spoiler for JAJAJAJAN!:
This scene is gold! He actually opened his eyes. Really love Kadoka's gang now. And I'm hating Izaya more and more.

I wonder whether Anri knows of Kida's plan. If only they could clear up this misunderstanding!

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2010-05-14, 23:40   Link #31
velocd
Witcher, with tenure

This episode was great, maybe one of the best yet. I don't read the light novel, but I thought the pacing was excellent. Kida has left the 1-dimensional gang (that Simon is leading very well).

Kadota & Co. were awesome as usual.
Old 2010-05-14, 23:46   Link #32
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

I realized once again how scary and crazy Walker is.... he's almost cool as Durandal (Vision of Escaflowne) on that scene.
Old 2010-05-15, 00:04   Link #33
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
And it wasn't because it was a funny scene (it was) but rather because after he assigned Shizuo as the King and Celty (where are you T_T?) as the Queen, when he got to the part ''and the Joker is...'' and stopped and just threw away the cards, I seriously thought that he was about to say ''...is me.'' Which I suppose is how Izaya views himself in this war. He might be the one who is pulling the strings from the background, but he still considers himself as a fool.
I was thinking maybe the Joker represents someone even he can't control (Shingen?) but I like your idea better yeah.
Nah...I think your original idea fits more, especially since Izaya's expression turned serious for the moment he considered it. The Joker is either a trump card that will guarantee someone the win, or (more likely) an unknown force that he doesn't know how to deal with.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-05-15, 03:37   Link #34
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Didn't like this episode very much, mainly because nothing but Anri following Kida was news to us. This episode merely just shows on screen what was already heavily implied before, so it was pretty much a ho-hum episode to me.

That said, SakiXKida is pretty damn cute.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2010-05-15, 07:12   Link #35
tsunade666

I would have like Saki more if she's not totally brain washed by izaya. I mean she has total confidence on Kida's love for her and the basis....... izaya said so.... oh great.

I just can't hate izaya even though many people already hate that Bast^^d. His just plain awesome like Ryuugamine.
Old 2010-05-15, 08:42   Link #36
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

HWV huh? I also saw anothe Baccano! reference. My favourite bit of it aswell.

Yeah Izaya's an asshole and i hate him now. I can't believe Yumasaki opened his eyes. I can't believe how badass the Otaku gang are. I mean I just thought it was Dotachin.

And wow, Anri finds out Kida is the Yellow Scarves General the very next episode. Looks like it won't be Poor Communication Kills afterall. Well, it could be but not in the way i expected...

Btw, does anyone know who voices Saki? She sounds familiar.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-05-15 at 13:59. Reason: typo
Old 2010-05-15, 08:44   Link #37
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I also saw anothe Baccano! referance. My favourite bit of it aswell.
This isn't the first time Durarara has shown that scene from Baccano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Btw, does anyone know who voices Saki? She sounds familiar.
She's voiced by Fukuen Misato. Mostly known for her role as Yin from Darker than Black.
Old 2010-05-15, 08:47   Link #38
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
This isn't the first time Durarara has shown that scene from Baccano.
Really? Well I only started watching Baccano! after episode 13 of Duarara!! so i probably missed it...

Quote:
She's voiced by Fukuen Misato.
Ah yes of course. Her voice is very similar to Yin from Darker Than Black. Awesome. I love that voice.
Old 2010-05-15, 11:27   Link #39
StudioJC
Loser-Bum

Not too sure about this episode. Probably because I expected Kida's arc to be a little boring with all the suspense having been killed-off beforehand.
Old 2010-05-15, 17:52   Link #40
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Well, Shingen may be a bit of a jokester, but I don't see him as someone Izaya would fear from their last meeting. Nor do I think he's afraid from things he can't control (otherwise, he would be scared from Shizuo, which he isn't really)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Nah...I think your original idea fits more, especially since Izaya's expression turned serious for the moment he considered it. The Joker is either a trump card that will guarantee someone the win, or (more likely) an unknown force that he doesn't know how to deal with.
Izaya can't deal with someone!? In my DURRRR!!? 0_o

Well that could be possible, but I find it unlikely. His expression was worried, almost as if he just ate bad sushi. The fact that he threw the cards and went whatever showed him avoiding to admit who the wild card could be. Now maybe I'm reading too much into the scene, but there was something very un-Izaya like about his reaction.