AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-17, 01:59   Link #2161
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauldron26 View Post
looking at how many posts are in this thread, i was thinking of jumping on this series... are the fansubs complete?? because i dont want to get into it, and then torture myself waiting for weeks for completion.
The hardsubs aren't done, but there are softsub scripts available for the episodes that haven't been subbed yet, which you can play over the raws.

Quote:
Is the anime really that good, to warrant over 2000 posts to a relatively new show?
Yes.
Futaba-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 04:44   Link #2162
Simon
気持ち悪い

Comic Yuri Hime V6 is out tomorrow. I see Simoun mentioned on the cover - the manga has finished, so what could this be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yononaka View Post
... I'd expect marketing people to consider dubbing all men with women's voices a liability for the US market. (Unless Simoun were positioned as a niche product from the get-go.)
Sadly you're probably right about how the marketroids would see it; but I'm not convinced they'd be correct. Yes, it might "weird out" some people - perhaps many people - but is that really such a bad thing? Don't Westerners gravitate to anime because they're hungry for something that's different and a bit challenging? After all, if you want easily-digestible schlock you know where to find it.

Admittedly I have zero interest in dubs (I'll still buy the R1s the day they're out, but that's to get legal subs and as a way of putting my money where my mouth is). But if a quality dub helps Simoun succeed in the marketplace then I'm all for it - it's just that I want to see Simoun succeed, not some dumbed-down bastardisation created in a misguided attempt to capture the mass market. Even a sub bigot like me knows that intellectual laziness isn't the only reason someone might choose the dub: there are plenty of people out there who're willing to invest a bit of effort in a show, especially if it has the depth to justify that investment (as Simoun does).

The trick is to make the show accessible without losing its edge. Rather than take stuff out, I'd like to see the licensor put helpful stuff in - e.g. cultural / translation notes as featured in the FLCL and AzuDai liners, or maybe even on-disc info like the ADV vid-notes (or whatever they call them). This would help with the Latinisms, so viewers could concentrate on having their gender preconceptions shaken up instead.
Old 2006-10-17, 10:46   Link #2163
JiCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiKyo View Post
Please do not talk about Name Written^^;
One of my Friend who help to sub French Team for Simoun gave Aaeru to Aael... And Rii-Maajon Became Remergion... I feel fear for Romanji translation Written...
Well, they don't need to translated using that method. They can easily, I think, take a name and translate it into a close english name. That can be done, yet it will not please everyone; it's kinda impossible.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Les producteurs ne sont pas obligés de suivre cette méthode. Ils peuvent aussi bien prendre un nom et le produire en un nom plus anglophone ou francophone. C'est possible, mais cela ne plaira pas à tout le monde; c'est impossible.

(Je vois que tu viens de France, et donc tu parles français... comme moi, au Canada )
JiCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 12:01   Link #2164
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Is the anime really that good, to warrant over 2000 posts to a relatively new show?
You probably realised it already but obviously most of the answers would be "yes" just because the fans of the series are more likely to read the thread than the rest of the forum users. Anyway, the quantity of posts are hardly a definitive indicator of quality. Just see for yourself.

Quote:
But those who love Simoun, really love it
Damn, I didn't know we were that easy to read.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 12:09   Link #2165
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiKyo View Post
One of my Friend who help to sub French Team for Simoun gave Aaeru to Aael... And Rii-Maajon Became Remergion... I feel fear for Romanji translation Written...
'Aaeru' could easily be 'Aael;' but it's obvious from the kana (リ・マージョン) that Ri Maajon is definitely two words. Otherwise I'd translate it 'Remergion' myself. It sounds like 'Re-merge,' which feels like it gives insight into how the thing actually works.

And yeah, this does seem to be one of those love-it-or-leave-it affairs. Even most of the people that don't like still recognize that it's a good show.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 12:34   Link #2166
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Comic Yuri Hime V6 is out tomorrow. I see Simoun mentioned on the cover - the manga has finished, so what could this be?....
According to Comic Yuri Hime magazine's home page, it is a special feature on the ending of the anime broadcast. ("テレビ放映終了記念特集『Simoun』"). Thanks, Simon.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-10-17 at 13:36.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 13:06   Link #2167
fignae
floofer. floof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
My main problem with this series is the lack of a cohearent story. i stop watching half way but keep up with wrex's blog but i still havn't figure out what the story was about or the entire war for that matter.
It's really funny when I consider that Niino Michi says, in her article, that Simoun isn't a series we should just watch; the audience should actively participate in thinking about what this show means before we can understand what it's about. Which, in turn, reminds me of some of yononaka's words from earlier, but I've probably taken them out of context by now.

(Been obsessing -- a little -- today. )

Oh, yes, nice find, Simon!

One final, weird thing: Simoun doujin. Some of you may be interested.

Last edited by fignae; 2006-10-17 at 13:17.
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 13:57   Link #2168
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
According to Comic Yuri Hime magazine's home page, it is a special feature on the ending of the anime broadcast. ("テレビ放映終了記念特集『Simoun』").
Ah, so the official site had updated - it's amazing what happens when you refresh your browser's cache...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignae
Been obsessing -- a little -- today.
You've come to the right place then
Old 2006-10-17, 14:02   Link #2169
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Even most of the people that don't like still recognize that it's a good show.
You have statistics on that by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignae View Post
It's really funny when I consider that Niino Michi says, in her article, that Simoun isn't a series we should just watch; the audience should actively participate in thinking about what this show means before we can understand what it's about. Which, in turn, reminds me of some of yononaka's words from earlier, but I've probably taken them out of context by now.
If anyone took them out of context it was the people who didn't get that what I said about the fans creating the greatness of Simoun in their minds was as much or more a compliment to the fans who could do that as it was an indictment of the show. (I still maintain that this kind of you-must-participate-in-thinking-about-it tactic lends itself quite well to manipulating the audience, because even the most brilliant author can't dream up all the connections (and patches) that the fandom collective can once it gets rolling and feeding back on itself.)
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 14:10   Link #2170
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignae View Post
Indeed. A work that lays everything out for you is often quickly forgotten once another one comes along. Leaving the audience guessing, hypothesizing and discussing creates free hype and gets the fans involved; the entertainment extends beyond the show itself.
A good example of this is Evangelion. I think that's one of the reasons it's still so infamous despite being over ten years old.

Quote:
One final, weird thing: Simoun doujin. Some of you may be interested.

Aaeru/Limone doujin? D:
So tempted to shop pedobear's head onto Aaeru's. Must resist...
Seriously, Japan - we need to talk.

Quote:
According to Comic Yuri Hime magazine's home page, it is a special feature on the ending of the anime broadcast. ("テレビ放映終了記念特集『Simoun』"). Thanks, Simon.
/r/ translation of this when it hits.
Old 2006-10-17, 14:54   Link #2171
Matrim

Quote:
Indeed. A work that lays everything out for you is often quickly forgotten once another one comes along. Leaving the audience guessing, hypothesizing and discussing creates free hype and gets the fans involved; the entertainment extends beyond the show itself.
Of course, this has the drawback of confusing people, especially those who don't have someone to discuss the series with. Also, it gets ugly when instead of leaving the viewers to connect the dots, the anime creators rely on them to draw the whole picture with little or no clues. Anyway, the inability to see the whole picture of the war in Simoun has mostly to do that it's not an action series. It's a character driven series and most of the characters stay in one place making it very difficult for the viewer to see the overall picture of the war, especially if he or she wants to know more details.

Quote:
You have statistics on that by any chance?
Yes, 64,54% of people say Simoun is awesome, just not their cup of tea. Just don't forget that 89,76% of all statistics are pure lies. I would stick with the "love it or hate it" description, I can't talk about the general opinion of people who didn't like the series.

Old 2006-10-17, 15:46   Link #2172
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Quote:
Aaeru/Limone doujin? D:
So tempted to shop pedobear's head onto Aaeru's. Must resist...
No, no you mustn't.

(But agreed, anyway. Dear Japan: whatever happened to Aaeru/Neviril? Or Rodore/Mamiina? Or Morinas/Wapourif? Or Guragief/Anubituf? That's right. Put down that Dominura/Limone DG doujin, Japan. I can see you, you know. You're not fooling anybody.)
oneplusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 16:16   Link #2173
ujiuji

Quote:
Originally Posted by warainagara View Post
Spoiler:
Actually I think they should be less clear; less calling out Amuria's name; more trying to carry on as normal but occasionally showing pain by her reactions to odd things that do not seem obviously connected to Amuria at first. Although the more I think about it the more I feel you are correct that at this stage it was more about the plot than an attempt to make us feel with Neviril.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for reply to warainagara:

Anyway thanks again to everyone for your comments. While watching the early episodes my enjoyment was tempered with a certain amount of annoyance at the flaws I felt were there and the fact that everybody else seemed to have nothing but praise for the show. Since writing these posts and reading your kind and polite replies it seems that feeling has gone & I can get on with enjoying what's good about Simoun. I'll be off now as I don't really have the time for constant forum participation. Maybe when I've finished watching I'll post an updated commentary. As I tend to watch one or two episodes a week it may be a while but this thread seems to be going strong so it should still be around!
ujiuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 16:56   Link #2174
Matrim

Quote:
(But agreed, anyway. Dear Japan: whatever happened to Aaeru/Neviril? Or Rodore/Mamiina? Or Morinas/Wapourif? Or Guragief/Anubituf? That's right. Put down that Dominura/Limone DG doujin, Japan. I can see you, you know. You're not fooling anybody.)
DG doujin? Do i want to know what this might be, I wonder?

Anyway, pedophilia issues aside, Aaeru/Rimone is just too bland, their personalities are way too similar. Even though these two are my favourite characters, this pairing is one of those I'd least like to see in a doujin. Rodore/Mamiina doujin would be nice to see.

Quote:
I'll be off now as I don't really have the time for constant forum participation.
Wise choice considering spoilers from later episodes (11-16 mostly) are often mentioned here, I wouldn't like to spoil anyone's appreciation of Simoun.

Old 2006-10-17, 17:21   Link #2175
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Rodore/Mamiina doujin would be nice to see.
Provided it's something worthwhile and not just pr0n
Kaimu/Paraietta would be fun, too.
Old 2006-10-17, 17:44   Link #2176
warainagara
CA

Send a message via MSN to warainagara
Quote:
A good example of this is Evangelion. I think that's one of the reasons it's still so infamous despite being over ten years old.
Grr... Evangelion.
Certainly good point your brought up and I think Simoun also pulled the strategy.
While Evangelion is one of my favorite mecha animes, it doesn't seem to me to have a profound message or philosophy as it appears to many. The show borrowed an idea from a sect of medieval Jewish mysticism, which must have worked to color it with charming fantasy. But that's all. The enigmatic plot based on the distinct setting doesn't betray through its veil a life-touching message or insight about the world we live in. Rather, depiction of characters' inner changes, which was not related to the setting, was great in writing, directing and graphic and worked for me.
Simoun is clueless about details, but relatively clear in its messages and themes while they can be various according to individual watchers.
Reading so far, some might think that I'm trying to raise up Simoun beyond the level of Evangelion, yes, that's true at least in the area of message or theme.

About doujinji,
I've heard of Mamina-Neviril and Aaeru-Neviril.
Both are for adults and one of them is hutanari.
I guess they're like stuff abusing characters.
warainagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 18:58   Link #2177
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Evangelion was a character study with plot thrown in, just like Simoun. Eva just developed the plot much deeper. Of course, the team behind Eva also had zillions of dollars (at first) and the appropriate amount of time to plan everything out. Poor Simoun had barely any budget (you'd never know from watching, though) and about half the usual alloted time to get their stuff in order. I can only imagine what would have been created had they been given a fair shot.
Eva's message and Simoun's message are completely different, so I don't think it's really fair to compare them on that level.

Futanari... Grrr...
Although the genders in Simoun adds a whole new facet to that genre
... Sorry. Just trying to make myself feel better about it
Old 2006-10-17, 19:16   Link #2178
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujiuji View Post
As I tend to watch one or two episodes a week it may be a while but this thread seems to be going strong so it should still be around!
Well you can largely thank yononaka for breathing life back into the thread

Seriously though, I find myself with bandwidth to spare at the moment so I'm still seeding eps 1-3 - it's pleasing to see how many new peers keep popping up (if that's you, gentle reader, then welcome!). I guess with ep4 coming out first we can't use the tracker stats to tell us what the dropoff rate is, which is something I'd be interested to know.

Quote:
About doujinji,
There you go Matrim, that answers your question about "DG". I kept an eye out for Simoun dōjinshi when I visited Tokyo a few months back, but I never saw a thing - given the Haruhi badness that I did see, this was perhaps a blessing in disguise.

This does leave me with a dilemma though - my avowed goal is to collect every Simoun-related item I can get my hands on, even frivolities like posters and telephone cards, but I'm not overly keen on the H stuff (not that I have a problem with erotica in general, it's out-of-characterness that bugs me - e.g. the Megami swimsuit pics). Hmm, perhaps I should buy them for completeness's sake but make a point of never reading what lurks within...
Old 2006-10-17, 19:54   Link #2179
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
...Poor Simoun had barely any budget (you'd never know from watching, though) and about half the usual alloted time to get their stuff in order....
I didn't realize this. If it means they produced the anime on a shoestring, then that gives me hope. Producers must want to use a team that can make a good anime cheaply.

The sound director, Tsujitani Kouji, has a commentary on the official site that talks about doing the entire sound track on a PC. I haven't read it all carefully yet, but maybe that's a way off getting things done cheaply, too.

He has a second commentary up now, too. One thing that caught my eye in the first one was that he and Onashia's seiyuu, Tamagawa Sakiko, were in a seiyuu singing group together at one time. And in the second one, he says it was he who first suggested Takahashi Rieko for Neviril. He also discusses the decision to use an all-female cast. It sounds as if he and the director worked very closely together on the casting.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-10-17 at 20:15.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 23:21   Link #2180
fignae
floofer. floof.

Quote:
Grr... Evangelion.
I was personally very impressed by how the director worked Freud into it. Eva's atmosphere is also something I'll never forget.

Quote:
About doujinji,
Haha, abusing! Well, Simoun does lend itself to futanari....

But, you know, about "Inori no Uta", I'm happy to see a doujin that has relatively good art (it looks almost manga-authentic!) and in-character dialogue. I think the character voices are right, and it's not just about getting two characters to hook up, as fan comics often are.
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri