AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-06-18, 06:05   Link #1
Gaia
ROW! ROW! FIGHT DA POWAH!
*Graphic Designer

IPS panel monitor for anime watching?

Hello,

is it worth to get an IPS panel monitor for anime (and games)?

I'm about to buy a new display for my PC. I'm currently running an 24" TN panel BenQ non LED and I was thinking about a noticable upgrade. After some research, I discovered the Dell U2711.

The Dell 27" seems to be a decent monitor. It's said that IPS panels got some very good colors and I was like:"Hey, anime are colorful." Of course, contrast and viewing angle is also very good.

But overall, I'm not sure about the Dell, or IPS in general, for anime, because some series are quite fast when it comes to action scenes. Can the Dell handle such things? Prad gave him only +/- satisfactory for DVD/Video, what makes me kind of doubtful.

The other issue is gaming. I mainly play MMO's, such as WoW and Tera. Will the Dell make a good figure for MMO gaming? Prad gave + good for casual gaming and +/- satisfactory for hardcore gaming.

Is it a big profit to have 2.560x1.440? I mean, highest anime resolution I know is 1080p, so everything will be streched anyway.
It's a plus for gaming, but it also requires much more performance. I'll obviously lose FPS due to higher resolution, if I won't buy a high end GPU.

I'm quite unsure here. Dell/IPS or rather TN panel? There's also 24" IPS, but nearly all of those are 16:10 and I wan't to keep my 16:9 standard. A downgrade to 23" is out of the question! :\

I figured that animesuki is a good place to ask such a question, because it got some clever minds.

Help is appreciated.
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 06:28   Link #2
spikexp

You can look for LG ips (IPS231P and LG IPS236V), cheap and good.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 10:48   Link #3
Gaia
*Graphic Designer

I'd rather buy the LG Flatron IPS235P-BN, because it got good scores. It's even better for video and gaming, than the Dell U2312HM. Probably the best 23" IPS allround monitor at this point. Price is also good.

If there wouldn't be the issue of losing 1".
Old 2012-06-18, 16:13   Link #4
Alchemist007
*Author

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to go 16:10. I in fact, refuse to go 16:9! The former obviously has the advantage in pixel count and therefore more room. 16:9 movies look just fine on it too. I have a 22" 16:10 right now, but have to use a 16:9 at work, it sucks but I'm just doing document related work.

I'm looking to get this myself: http://www.amazon.com/PA246Q-24-Inch...eywords=PA246Q
Old 2012-06-18, 16:40   Link #5
Gaia
*Graphic Designer

Well, I prefer 16:9, because I'm used to it and it comes closest to the natural way the human eye is viewing things. 16:10 feels like 120px dead space for me.

When it comes to gaming, I dont need those extra 120px, because I won't notice them very much. I prefer widht over height.
Also, those, for me unneeded, 120px require extra performance. In the end, I'll pay with fps for 120px I barely notice.

Also, I don't like black borders, when watching 1080p anime. There's no perfect backlighting. Even 3000€ monitors have visible backlights. I'll notice them less, if the image is covering the entire screen. Black borders annoy me regarding this issue. I already had that with my very old 4:3 monitor.

16:10 can be good, when it comes to office, video/audio editing and graphic design, because of the extra space, but I rarely do that nowdays. Thus, I think 16:10 is more of a workspace resolution than multimedia.

If you're interested in the Asus, you may as well take a look at the Dell UltraSharp U2412M and save some bucks.
Old 2012-06-18, 17:23   Link #6
Alchemist007
*Author

I've done quite a bit of research. The coating on that thing would piss me off to no end (just to name one thing), there was a lot more but I did want the Asus over the Dell even with the price difference, so there must've been a lot.

From the amount of gaming I've done, I also can't stand 16:9 (it just looks wrong). As for movies or anime, I enjoy black borders (gives it a movie like feel :P). I guess performance would depend on your setup, but it wouldn't be a problem for me (120 lines wouldn't hurt that much anyways, but I understand if you're on the edge already).

Just something else I remembered was that there's so many anime wallpapers in 1920x1200 but hardly much at all for 1080p. Well anyways to answer your original question, I think it'll be worthwhile to get an IPS monitor provided you have the money of course. Viewing angles and black levels have started bothering me with my current monitor, especially since I got this awesome chair I can relax on all the time.

I heard good things about HP 27" monitors, maybe this one can interest you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824176242

There was another too but I forget the exact model and I think they don't even sell it anymore.

Last edited by Alchemist007; 2012-06-18 at 17:38.
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 17:52   Link #7
Gaia
*Graphic Designer

You're completetly right regarding the coating issue. It can be a real problem for some and others aren't even able to recognise it. I guess it depends on your eyes, since every human has a different view.

Of course, the 16:9 vs 16:10 issue is totally subjective. Some people prefer this and others that.

The Asus is a good monitor, anyway. You can't go wrong with Asus at all.

Yes, there have been a lot 1200p wallpapers in the past, but that was, because there have been more 1200p monitors than 1080p. The 1080p hype came around 2008, as far as I remember. Of course, most people had 1200p at that point. Thus, more 1200p wallpapers than 1080p. Nowdays, it's balanced.

Same for me. The viewing angles of TN panels are just horrible. Colors, contrast and black levels are ways better on IPS.

The HP sure looks interesting. Gonna take a closer look at this one.
Old 2012-06-18, 18:09   Link #8
Alchemist007
*Author

Hmm, I still see more 1200p walls being made, I guess everyone who got those monitors (or perhaps those that at least make the walls), are still going strong on them. Certainly lends validity to the claim that lots of artists prefer them (I do a bit so I also prefer it for that).
Old 2012-06-18, 18:21   Link #9
Gaia
*Graphic Designer

Well, I'm not sure what most artists do, but it would be understandable that they make 1200p.
Serious graphic design = IPS panel (or other high quality) = 1200p (more work space). Of course, they would probably optimise it for "their own kind".

Overall, it's good to make a 1200p wallpaper, because they can easily be cropped to 1080p. Won't work vice versa.

I have actually no problems to find any wallpapers in 1080p. Most wallpapers I see are available for about all resolutions.
Old 2012-06-18, 19:03   Link #10
Alchemist007
*Author

I suppose the more considerate of artists do, but you could always crop it yourself (if you cba ). Of the limited number of times I've done that, I usually have trouble wondering which part I want cropped (which is: none of it). BTW do you mean walls in general (which there are plenty of for all), or anime related like I was talking about? Well I might be derailing a bit now, apologies.
Old 2012-06-18, 19:53   Link #11
pepper_begs

I just bought a 27" Yamakasi Catleap Q270 LED monitor. It was shipped from Korea and took about 3 days to get to Seattle, WA.

It is an IPS screen and has a native resolution of 2560x1440. I paid $310.00 for it.

So far I'm very happy with it. No dead pixels and minimal light bleed. It seems perfect.

It is a bare bones affair with no OSD and you should research it before you buy.
pepper_begs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 20:11   Link #12
Alchemist007
*Author

I'd be scared to death to have something like that shipped international. But that's a killer price too.