AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-02-16, 00:49   Link #861
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
So
Spoiler for let's see if I get it now:
Spoiler:
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 01:41   Link #862
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Wonder what the hell it was those people from the Old Era were fighting. High possibility of it returning sometime in the next few episodes too.

Also, is the girls' Takemikazuchi one of the Old Era relics or the model Felicia fought in?

And wow at the unknown soldier being able to survive so long that he could talk even as a dessicated corpse O_o
Old 2010-02-16, 01:45   Link #863
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Oh dear, Rio and Felicia had an increase in bust size this ep. PTSD solved in one episode.

And...Amazing Grace is heard yet again..... You'd think they could use another bugle call.

You stop a tank to do a bugle call after killing one tank. That was just asking for an anti-tank round to be placed up you a**. Nice call there.

They really need to stick to the lighter stuff. This felt a little forced imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post

And wow at the unknown soldier being able to survive so long that he could talk even as a dessicated corpse O_o
And his tracking abilities were simply amazing.

----

I hope they are resurrecting an Old Era tank. I want to see that baby in action.
Old 2010-02-16, 02:17   Link #864
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
You stop a tank to do a bugle call after killing one tank. That was just asking for an anti-tank round to be placed up you a**. Nice call there.
Yeah have to say I was shaking my head there. They were fighting quite a number of enemies and stop to do the bugle call after taking out only one? It's no wonder they got themselves killed.

Quote:
Wonder what the hell it was those people from the Old Era were fighting. High possibility of it returning sometime in the next few episodes too.

Also, is the girls' Takemikazuchi one of the Old Era relics or the model Felicia fought in?

I'm not so sure. If something like that comes back the girls better just head down to the cellar, get some drinks, and wait for the end. I mean whatever those people were fighting against completely obliterated the old forces. One tank that's still being put together will last all of 20 seconds against whatever that was.

At least things are becoming more clear. Humanity was against the wall fighting against something beyond belief. In the end they stopped it (or else nobody would be left) but it was a pyrrhic victory. The oceans were ruined, knowledge lost, and humanity on the brink of extinction. Then you arrive at the current time where people were likely fighting over the limited resources remaining.

Of course this theory is based on the flashback from Felicia's hallucination . The most reliable information imaginable.
Old 2010-02-16, 02:18   Link #865
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi

Anyone else notice that the Old-Era Soldiers rifle was a Howa Type-89? I love the little details like that, and am glad the producers are sticking them in there.
touge-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 02:30   Link #866
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
If you compare the turrets of the Takemikazuchi and the Old Era spider-tanks, they're pretty much the same, except their Takemikazuchi has some of the armour stripped off.

The one Felicia fought in had a completely different and more primitive external appearance, and also the interior of the tank Felicia was in was far less advanced than the Takemikazuchi's interior which we've seen from their training exercise a few episodes back.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 02:58   Link #867
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

alien invasion sucking the life of the planet???
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 03:16   Link #868
Sparvid
*hic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
And...Amazing Grace is heard yet again..... You'd think they could use another bugle call.
I wonder if it has (or had) some kind of tactical military meaning.
Old 2010-02-16, 05:02   Link #869
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Spoiler for ep 7:

As for how civilization came to this point I think the common anime premise of an inhuman enemy pushing humanity to the brink of extinction is applicable.

It wouldn't surprise me if the legendary Fire Maidens were schoolgirls drafted into the military and saved Seize long ago. Thus the tradition began of only females manning the former school now fortress outpost.
Holy crap the characters have backstories....honest to god backstories.....wow I did not see that coming after witnessing so many moe series look like they were going to have another side to them and then failing to do anything out of the ordinary. Okay so at this point I think anyone that still compares it to K-On on anything other than the character designs is being a little superficial. Hopefully Sora No Woto if not a great or outstanding series in the end can at least encourage others to follow it's example in showing that moe and personality/backstory do not have to be mutually exclusive. Hope it does well if for nothing else other than that.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 05:56   Link #870
Sol Falling

wtf, did Filicia seriously take a chunk out of her hand when she nicked herself? The inside of the cut had different colouring and the outline went all the way around. Gross, man. That's some cognitive dissonance right there when, after waking up, she just looked at her bandaged hand and went 'I'm fine, I'm fine'.

I'm not sure what this episode is supposed to convey: that Felicia has PTSD or that she's gotten over it. The sort of involuntary flashbacks triggered by blood and stuff were pretty convincing but I didn't get why she went to the hangar afterwards to brood about it. Maybe some peaceful happy place sure, but the tank? A symbol of all the war and other crappy stuff she'd gone through? ...Also, the 'all three of us want hugs even though the latter two have nothing of emotional import to add' scene was pretty awkward.

I liked the music in Filicia's 'waking up underneath some rubble' scene, and I also liked the sound work in general when 'Amazing Grace' started playing. Somehow the silence and the closeness of the scraping noises conveyed the far off sound of the song quite well. It was pretty brief, but I don't think you get that sort of immersive sense in anime often.

Some lol about the setting: okay, so somehow Obon is also known as the Fiesta de Lumieres and is from 'Southern Helvetia'. Going from the photos people are talking about: this show is set in Spain, but the characters speak Japanese, but furthermore no one knows how to write it, and all the ruins and stuff are decorated in this supposed 'old language'. I wonder if they are actually going to try to explain this.

Anyway, I also lol'ed at 'If humanity is going to die out anyway, why are we fighting?' line. That's a pretty good way to put it. I found what Filicia said at the end to be cheesy and not believable, 'This world is completely meaningless--Isn't that wonderful?!?!' but this show continues to strike a bit of a chord with me. No, it's actually a terrible, terrible thing that human existance is meaningless because that means that yes, millions of lost souls are going to have to wander around anguished about it--but, however thoughtless Felicia's celebration of the necessity of such suffering might be, I do indeed feel Filicia's other sentiment, her joy at having found the meaning of her existence, and knowing her place in life. This sort of idea they've got going in the last two episodes--that 'fate' and 'meaning' are things that you determine yourself, but, furthermore, that even if 'fate' and 'meaning' are things determined by your arbitrary subjective experience, they are still immensely meaningful (lol redundancy)--is something I've been thinking about.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 06:11   Link #871
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Had to pay about 25USD for wifi access in my motel but short of nuclear war nothing was gonna stop me from watching this ep.

I seriously question the validity of one type0 winning against that birdy when it pwns 2 dozen within seconds.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 07:23   Link #872
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Spoiler for Slice of Life crap:

Spoiler for censored?:

Spoiler for no progress!:

Spoiler for ending sucked:

/rage
Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 08:48   Link #873
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah have to say I was shaking my head there. They were fighting quite a number of enemies and stop to do the bugle call after taking out only one? It's no wonder they got themselves killed.
It's easy to answer this. Look at infantry - opponent infantry is around they tanks covering them and being covered by them. Helvetian infantry is nowhere in sight and as i doubt that there is no infantry that means that cowardly shithead are stalling behind ("let's tank do the job!") which is one major mistake... that bugle call is "MOVE, DAMN IT" call for they infantry really. Also if there was infantry coverage that tank from the side would be spotted sooner by that infantry and dealt with either by informed tank or by infantry itself (it was in position to be easily killed by surprise grenade... or 10). Actually if there was no bugle call it would killed them anyway - it was in good position. So it's nonexistent infantry coverage that killed them, not bugle call.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.

Last edited by al103; 2010-02-16 at 09:32.
al103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 09:25   Link #874
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Aliens! And with some serious firepower too, with that bird-like thing (some sort of bio-mech?). I wonder how long the war took? With a single unit having that much firepower, multiple units deployed across the globe would mean that it'd be over in less than half a day. Were they here to conquer and assimilate, since it seems humanity was put into captivity for a while (well, at least in some parts)? Or simply extermination? Even more, how did they arrive at Earth? Dimensional rifts? Conventional space travel?

Anyway, these recent revelations just made me reconsider my Half-Life theory, especially since the crucial battle of the resistance movement was spearheaded by a small group (the Fire Maidens). Now, I wonder who their Gordon Freeman was...
Old 2010-02-16, 09:34   Link #875
Jay911

Send a message via ICQ to Jay911 Send a message via AIM to Jay911 Send a message via MSN to Jay911 Send a message via Yahoo to Jay911
I hate to poke at a plot hole, but if the tanks have the ability to play music as we have seen, why do they still bother with the buglers? Or are we to assume that either this one tank is special/the tanks in the flashback didn't have that capability, being older models?
Jay911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 09:41   Link #876
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
I hate to poke at a plot hole, but if the tanks have the ability to play music as we have seen, why do they still bother with the buglers? Or are we to assume that either this one tank is special/the tanks in the flashback didn't have that capability, being older models?
Nope, you are doing it wrong.

The original spider tanks had the capability to signal their troops to follow them by using their ipods.

The tanks used after that were made of scrap and needed schoolgirls to play instruments to call the troops.
Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 09:45   Link #877
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Or they could invest in a radio.....-__-

Even Panzertruppen in WWII had them....

Also yeah...nice sending your armour foward on suicide runs...
Old 2010-02-16, 09:51   Link #878
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Or they could invest in a radio.....-__-
It's actually harder to make decent amount of radios than decent amount of WW2-tech tanks, even walking ones. Not to mention while tanks can be simply copied, radios require understanding of making process and that techs could be lost. It's even if we remove speculations like old EW devices that still work and radio can't operate in that environment, or some automatic systems that nuke territories with radio chat.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
al103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 10:02   Link #879
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Wow... it might be because I wasn't really expecting it despite having sort of called the possibility back when the series first premiered but... wow...

We finally get to see what this war really was, in all its nitty and gritty detail, with people burning, getting shot, blown to bits and lifeless corpses left to rot in the rubble of society. I'm not exactly sure how old Felicia really is having gone through hell in the waning days (?) of the conflict, but as any soldier knows no one goes away unaffected, without scars. Before this episode the idea of that conflict was really only hinted at, as if some sort of distant past that people either wanted to forget or simply didn't live through. Seeing Felicia in the middle on that conflict makes the war not as distant as people would hope it to be. At this point she's really the first person the show has explored to have any real direct connection to the front lines, having fought there herself, and still suffering from it's effects.

I find her flashback of the warring days where people entered the meat grinder of bullets and cannon fire, losing her closest friends in the process, an almost painfully beautiful contrast to the festival of the dead the town is celebrating. She's lost so much yes, but so has everyone else, and I believe those lanterns consist likewise of the lives taken by the war. She has her scars, but so does everyone else, and mostly because she's the first of the characters to have their pasts properly explored. The festival for me perhaps drives home the catharsis she's finally found after losing her dearest friends in conflict: that by placing the lantern with a smile she can let them go, to find peace with them and with herself. She carries her crosses, but she also carries their memories.

As for her conclusion, in a sense perhaps she is right, though I may have my own reservations as to how she got to this conclusion. Maybe nothing really brings about great change better than tragedy, and tragedy she did live through. Her illusion of the dead soldier apologizing to her for their failure to prevent the war that ravaged and consumed the world is perhaps a reflection of her own struggles with nihilism, in a world perceived to be a pointless awaiting of the inevitable end. As the years (?) went by however she deviates from from that, believing that the absence of an answer to her questions does not mean purpose does not exist, but rather she has yet to create the answer for herself. As she herself states, she has found the answer she is looking for, in that town, as the platoon commander.

That I can agree wholeheartedly.

As it stands I'm starting to believe that this show isn't as much an exploration of the present war (if there is one) as it is an exploration of its tremors, its fallout on the lives of those who have lived through it. I'm probably getting ahead of myself again but every episode until today has been about those left behind and those who have gone through it and scarred as a result. I can't say much about everyone else in the group, but the festival makes it obvious that they've suffered loss themselves. I can perhaps believe that the next episodes will attempt to explore everyone else in greater detail, as the survivors of a world slowly dying, eking out an existence with a likely bleak future.

As such, best episode of the series so far. 10/10.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 10:37   Link #880
ReddyRedWolf

The last war ended in an armistice. Hence the military downsizing in peace time. Though it pretty recent. The soldiers with Kanata on the train car were glad they can be discharged from the military.

Which brings the question what nation states are there in the world of Sora no Woto?

Since it appears to be a dark age for humanity the pattern is that the government has become a monarchy.

Like Rome in decline and its death and aftermath barbaric tribes start their own little kingdoms.

On another note Vight is mentioned again. It was the little girl's hometown last episode where the "Invisible Death" happened. Now we learn it was the frontline of the recent war.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, music, seinen, slice of life