AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-16, 08:03   Link #2281
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Subaru has "Wing Road", Erio can essentially travel too fast for gravity to matter with his more speedy strikes. Caro and Teana never showed any flying aptitude (at least in StrikerS), though obviously Caro can ride a summon.
And looking back through ViVid, it seems like Erio's graduated to full-on flight, Caro has picked up at least levitation and Tea appears to be standing on some kind of floating platform she conjured. It's nice to see that everyone's grown over the years.
Old 2010-08-16, 09:48   Link #2282
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
And looking back through ViVid, it seems like Erio's graduated to full-on flight, Caro has picked up at least levitation and Tea appears to be standing on some kind of floating platform she conjured. It's nice to see that everyone's grown over the years.
Ah yes, thank you, this is what I want to confirm actually. Since it's not animated, I sometimes have trouble recognizing whether someone is flying or just high jumping and whether they're standing on a magical platform or the instant runes are part of their firing spells
Old 2010-08-16, 10:17   Link #2283
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Ah yes, thank you, this is what I want to confirm actually. Since it's not animated, I sometimes have trouble recognizing whether someone is flying or just high jumping and whether they're standing on a magical platform or the instant runes are part of their firing spells
Well, I'll admit I'm assuming based on the fact that Teana seems to be standing on a solid platform, while Erio and Caro seem to have the instant runes. Since they're different, I'm operating on the assumption that they are actually floating/flying rather than doing what Tea is doing, but since the shots in chapter twelve don't let you see either of their legs, I can't be sure. Maybe the raws of the other chapters confirm it for certain, but I'm far too lazy to go look .
Old 2010-08-20, 07:25   Link #2284
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Does the TSAB have a combined arms doctrine the way 20th-21st century real world militaries do, with artillery, armour, APCs + mechanised infantry etc.?

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
Old 2010-08-20, 09:21   Link #2285
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
No, might be better to use JSDF as a guide

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2010-08-20, 10:04   Link #2286
Arkeus

i recently saw that the nanoha wiki said something about taking the animal's soul in order to make a familiar.

Is that Canon (that would be the only mention of soul being used in magic), or is it yet another gross wishthinking?
Old 2010-08-20, 10:09   Link #2287
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
i recently saw that the nanoha wiki said something about taking the animal's soul in order to make a familiar.

Is that Canon (that would be the only mention of soul being used in magic), or is it yet another gross wishthinking?
Dunno. The only familiars that we've seen have been animals (Arf, the twins). Though, looking at it from a certain angle, the Wolkenritter were all "Familiars" in A's. Magical constructs, needed Hayate's mana to sustain them...

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2010-08-20, 10:54   Link #2288
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
No, might be better to use JSDF as a guide
I suppose some improvisation is in order then.

Next query (though the previous one's still open): Is it explicitly stated what real-world martial arts, if any, the various Nanoha fighting styles are based on?

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
Old 2010-08-20, 10:55   Link #2289
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura View Post

Next query (though the previous one's still open): Is it explicitly stated what real-world martial arts, if any, the various Nanoha fighting styles are based on?
Nope.

They're mostly based on mecha fighting styles.

Old 2010-08-20, 10:58   Link #2290
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:

There is no specific style or discipline, but if I would hazard a guess: karate, and other Japanese martial arts are used as references.
Old 2010-08-20, 10:59   Link #2291
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

The only thing I see in either ViVid or the Nanoha wiki is that Strike Arts is... and this is a quote, seriously, 'An open-handed magical fighting style that relies on strikes'.

No. Really. Strike Arts rely on strikes? I'd never have guessed.

But Kaiser Arts don't even get that much description, so hey.

EDIT: Though actually, just judging from the images of Vivio fighting in Strike Arts class, it looks almost like kickboxing, doesn't it?
Old 2010-08-20, 13:11   Link #2292
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
EDIT: Though actually, just judging from the images of Vivio fighting in Strike Arts class, it looks almost like kickboxing, doesn't it?
Yeah, the moves of legs and arms looks like a mix of Kick boxing and Tae Kwon Do.
Old 2010-08-20, 13:31   Link #2293
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:

Dunno. I think it's safe to say, though, that the Nakajima family's Shooting Arts aren't based on anything in real life unless there's an actual martial arts style that uses roller blades.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2010-08-20, 15:15   Link #2294
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post

Yes, it is very canon. The second Sound Stage of the original series goes into quite some detail about that, since Fate creates Arf in it.

I thought I have provided enough references in that article, but I guess that wasn't the case. You can read a translation of SS02 on this very forum if you wish to double-check the facts.

Lastly, I dislike the implication that the Nanoha wiki is full of gross wishthinking. Because AFAIK the speculation contained in it is very limited in size.
Old 2010-08-20, 15:21   Link #2295
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
Yes, it is very canon. The second Sound Stage of the original series goes into quite some detail about that, since Fate creates Arf in it.

I thought I have provided enough references in that article, but I guess that wasn't the case. You can read a translation of SS02 on this very forum if you wish to double-check the facts.

Lastly, I dislike the implication that the Nanoha wiki is full of gross wishthinking. Because AFAIK the speculation contained in it is very limited in size.
mmmh, so apparently familiar most likely won't have any idea of their 'previous lives', and the 'soul' thing might either be a artificial creation based on the dying/dead animal as that animal's soul.

Damn confusing translations.
Old 2010-08-20, 18:32   Link #2296
Kagayaki

So does anyone know what song Nanoha's ringtone in the first season is?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZy297XcJho
(or is it just something they composed just for this show?)
Old 2010-08-20, 20:41   Link #2297
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Soundtrack related question, does anyone know the name of the score that plays when Zest is speaking to Regius in StrikerS episode 24?
Old 2010-08-21, 08:43   Link #2298
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Does Nanoha have a sword or not? [trying to look for pictures of her having a sword in Chevalier mode]. I don't know if this one is reliable or not...
Old 2010-08-21, 08:58   Link #2299
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

That's something fan-made. She only got RH.

Old 2010-08-21, 09:06   Link #2300
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Though, you have to admit, Raising Heart sword mode is pretty awesome.

Closed Thread