AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-09-30, 19:08   Link #281
mg1942

hmmm I'm begining to think that Porsche has some valid points...

There's NO WAY a 3,900 lb/480 hp GT-R is as fast as 3,300 lb / 640 hp Corvette ZR-1 on the Nurburgring long straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjk92atTANc
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 19:41   Link #282
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
hmmm I'm begining to think that Porsche has some valid points...

There's NO WAY a 3,900 lb/480 hp GT-R is as fast as 3,300 lb / 640 hp Corvette ZR-1 on the Nurburgring long straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjk92atTANc
At those speeds it's more about aerodynamics than power to weight ratio. What needs to be remembered as well, is that the straight is seriously bumpy. Haven't driven the ring myself but know a couple of people that have done about 8 minute laps over there and they all say that going flat out on the straight is practically suicidal. In the video ZR-1 was almost a second ahead coming to Antoniusbuche which makes sense but I think GT-R catching up over Tiergarten and Hohenrain makes equally sense. No matter how you think of it, it has to have an advantage in grip.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 19:49   Link #283
mg1942

I almost forgot about aerodynamics! The new GT-R has very low 0.27 cd drag.

That's low compared to its competition.
Old 2008-09-30, 20:15   Link #284
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
I almost forgot about aerodynamics! The new GT-R has very low 0.27 cd drag.

That's low compared to its competition.
That's very low full stop actually. About as low as you can go if you want to create any downforce what so ever with no help from ground effect.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 23:18   Link #285
mg1942

I think Porsche is just bitter about this review hitting the world by the most respectable racing family in the world...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnmpIqFoYtg
Old 2008-10-01, 01:04   Link #286
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
You might be right. haha

It's not everyday that an "import" is competing with an "exotic." In fact, most of the regular joes I talk to think imports are at the low end of the speed scale.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-01, 09:02   Link #287
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
its not all about power guys, there is a reason cars like the STI and Evo are used in WRc and AutoX more than stuff like supras. Handling and high revving are just as important than pure speed. Vettes stock cant handle for dogpoop.

I love porsche calling nissan's bluff, theyre still going to get destroyed
FLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-01, 14:47   Link #288
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
^ Well said, not everything about cars is pure power. I perfer a car that has better handling than just pure power.
rainnydaiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-01, 15:08   Link #289
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

im compete in solo Stock and Street modified, i got some creds lol
Old 2008-10-01, 15:43   Link #290
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
"I take the money AND I take the respect. To some people, that's more important."

Anyways, as I've said before, not everyone wants to just go in a straight line. To me, that got pretty boring because you solely rely on how modded and tuned your car is in order to make sure that even if you miss shift, you will still win. And if your car isn't that good, which costs LOTS of money to do, miss shifting makes the loss of the race even worse. Granted, in the other types of racing, miss shifting is also a big deal, but at least I get to learn and perfect other skills and techniques that can be useful avoiding accidents. I can attest to that since where I live, accidents tend to be commonplace and I've had to rely on those skills and techniques a few times already.

None-the-less, I still want that GT-R. I'd love to personally see for myself how it handles in the corners. Other than fine-tuning the suspension, brakes and transmission...and of course increasing the durability of the engine, there's not much that needs to be done in terms of its speed.
Old 2008-10-01, 16:29   Link #291
mg1942

The new GT-R has overbuilt chassis, engine, and clutch packs.

The only weakness so far is the transmission
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25152

The cost of GR6 transmission costs just as much as a new Civic LX.
Old 2008-10-01, 17:11   Link #292
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

I like the new gtr dont get me wrong, but id MUCH rather have 2 motorex r33s, or a Titan built TT supra for the same price.

or a real car, like a built m3, or 2.

honestly i dont ever see myself buying new cars, even when the financials are in place....that is unless theyre performance out of hte box!
Old 2008-10-01, 17:37   Link #293
mg1942

The new GT-R is just like the EVO. They both have ridiculous price/performance ratio. The honeymoon's over once you have to do mandatory checkups and repairs.

Honda S2000 is far cheaper in terms of ownership (insurance, maintenance)

(This may be a fanboi statement but Honda offers legendary reliability too)
Old 2008-10-01, 18:19   Link #294
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

s2k is a great car asside form its nonexistent horsepower and torque, otherwise it handles like butter.
im more a toyota/subbie guy, but honda is what i started out with so respect. (ive owned 2)
Old 2008-10-01, 21:10   Link #295
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCL View Post
or a real car, like a built m3, or 2.
M3s are definitely great cars. It's in my list of cars I want.

I personally would be willing to buy cars one (or two) at a time, build it up until I think it's perfect, then move on to the next ones. That way, I'll have a vehicle available I can go around in while the current project car is on the works.

Quote:
Honda S2000 is far cheaper in terms of ownership (insurance, maintenance)

(This may be a fanboi statement but Honda offers legendary reliability too)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCL View Post
s2k is a great car asside form its nonexistent horsepower and torque, otherwise it handles like butter.
im more a toyota/subbie guy, but honda is what i started out with so respect. (ive owned 2)
Hey now. The S2000 uses a K20 just like my Civic does. The only difference is mine is JDM and the S2000 is technically lighter. If both engines and the cars were stock, the S2000 would beat my Civic hands down. But, with the right type of mods and tuning, both vehicles can be quite competitive. By that regard, I think my Civic and RSXs have the advantage since our engine bays leaves more room for aftermarket modifications and tweaks, making it easier to gain more horsepower and torque.

I personally prefer my Civic over the S2000 because it scored higher on the safety rating.
Old 2008-10-01, 21:16   Link #296
mg1942

I thought S2k uses F-20

Didn't honda already gave F-designation to 1990-93 Honda Accord?
Old 2008-10-01, 21:28   Link #297
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Quote:
I thought S2k uses F-20

Didn't honda already gave F-designation to 1990-93 Honda Accord?
Okay. I was wrong. You're right. It's the F20s. Huh... Where did I get the idea that it was a K20? Must be because it shares some engineering from the K engines.

In either case, it beats my engine by 20hp stock, but I still stand behind what I said about the Civic and RSX engine bays having more room.
Old 2008-10-01, 21:36   Link #298
mg1942

Honda musta have all the alphabets covered

B-C-F-K- (help me fill-in blanks if there's more)
Old 2008-10-01, 21:38   Link #299
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Quote:
Honda musta have all the alphabets covered

B-C-F-K- (help me fill-in blanks if there's more)
D (my car's original engine type) and H. (for Preludes)
Old 2008-10-01, 23:17   Link #300
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

dont forget crappy m in hte fit/jazz

the s2k would crush just on the merit of its FR layout, which is imho far superior to FF. at least for track/drag. it handles amazingly. real ballers get a SR20, or 2jz XD. honda just has no torque.

i drag the sc300 because its a pure adrenaline rush/oh shi- moment, i actually have alot more fun in autocross/time attack/track racing because theyre is more challenge, community, etc. more on edge, anyone can slip a clutch and shift through gears, not everyone can find racing lines and dominate.

INITIAL D TOMORROW!