AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - Rating
Perfect 10 236 64.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 95 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 6.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-16, 15:45   Link #241
Floris
Botan!

Great.

I think it was a great one, Never expected her to be like that..Heh.
Old 2010-06-16, 15:49   Link #242
AnnaDavis

Not perfect but still a great movie

Old 2010-06-17, 15:07   Link #243
bombyethan1000

wow
Spoiler:
Old 2010-06-17, 16:23   Link #244
wistfulloner

9.5/10, but rounded off to perfect score. Good things are really worth waiting for, it seems!

I just finished off the camrip; it really wasn't that bad save for some unfocused parts, but they were overshadowed by the dazzling atmosphere Kyoani has created since the first Haruhi episode. Everything feels right in place, from the usual craziness when an SOS meeting is underway straight to Kyon's horror realizing he's trapped in another world. Animation is top notch too, as can be expected from Kyoani.

All those who are holding out for the DVD, give in I say, you will love me for it.

Its hella long, almost 3 hours, but I enjoyed every millisecond of it, laughter, suspense and all. I had a very rough idea of how the story would go, but there were so many plot twists I was more than pleasantly surprised, especially when:

Spoiler for kyon:

While I was watching it, Disappearance always felt like the Japanese answer to Hollywood "lets blow shit up" films to me. There were many arching themes to ponder over in the film, while it built a time traveling tale complex enough to leave you confused for a while. It's definitely one of the more meaningful films I've watched in a while.
Old 2010-06-22, 15:28   Link #245
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Hi old forum i used to frequent

this shit was awesome
Old 2010-06-23, 13:56   Link #246
zette

I'm not a huge Haruhi fan so I was able to hold off the temptation of watching the camrip, but I was really bored today so I figured what the hell, why not.

...and it was a good choice indeed. 162 minutes well spent. Some posters have mentioned that it's dragged and I agree to some extent, but I went into this movie without having read the novel yet so I spent the time during those "useless" scenes pondering what was going to happen next. Can't comment much on the animation quality, but for a camrip it looked pretty damn amazing, makes me wish that I could see it on the big screen.

Gotta love the development of Kyon and Haruhi's relationship here, and it's also nice to see Yuki showing some emotions. Kyon is awesome as always; his internal monologues is one of the reasons why I liked the Haruhi series and I'm glad that part of him hasn't died down one bit. That scene with him trying to decide which world he prefers was superbly done.

Overall, 9/10 - definitely buying the DVD when it's out. Now I just have to decide whether I like the KyonHaruhi pairing or the KyonYuki pairing more...
Old 2010-06-25, 22:59   Link #247
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Just sat down and watched the movie (GOD that was long). I liked it overall. Some of the long internal monologues of Kyon were handled very interestingly (particularly him talking to himself about Haruhi and berating his other self).
Old 2010-06-28, 22:32   Link #248
baltakatei

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Weekly
There had been a lot of buzz about the series before any of the media hit the States. Cosplayers were showing up at conventions and "Hare Hare Yukai," the first season's closing theme, and its accompanying dance sequence went viral, with fans from across the globe uploading their own performances on YouTube. When you see this kind of fan-based, organic hype, there's a good reason for it. Haruhi Suzumiya is smart and incredibly funny. It is perhaps one of the best written animes to have emerged in the latter half of the '00s.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya isn't your conventional television series. In fact, it doesn't actually air on TV in the U.S.
Link to LA Weekly article.
Old 2010-06-28, 23:01   Link #249
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

he called Haruhi a magical girl.....
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Old 2010-06-29, 00:58   Link #250
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well....being god of a universe could be considered magical.
Old 2010-06-29, 01:46   Link #251
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post
he called Haruhi a magical girl.....
Well, she's arguably a deconstruction of the trope. Cute, very spirited, has a headstrong sense of justice, considerably more power than she appears, but none of the other trappings of the "office", since she doesn't know she's got the powers. Arguably all the major females in the series are magical girl archetypes. Imouto-san for the look. Yuki for the actual use of powers, but without the personality. Ryoko as her dark counterpart, who ironically does have a lot of the personality. Mikuru is the fanservice costume change scene, while her older version is arguably a mentor onee-san. Tsuruya-san is the "muggle" best friend who invariably is more well-informed than she lets on... We even have Itsuki as the token bishounen and Kyon as the mascot character.
Old 2010-06-29, 01:50   Link #252
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

First time I've seen Kyon labeled as a "mascot character."

I would think that Kyon would be more in the style of a "Naru Osaka-type" character...
Old 2010-06-29, 13:41   Link #253
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
First time I've seen Kyon labeled as a "mascot character."

I would think that Kyon would be more in the style of a "Naru Osaka-type" character...
If Haruhi's the magical girl, what else would he be? Especially if Itsuki is (by looks) the token bishounen. Why do you thing she wanted to see him in the reindeer outfit?
Old 2010-06-30, 01:16   Link #254
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
If Haruhi's the magical girl, what else would he be? Especially if Itsuki is (by looks) the token bishounen. Why do you thing she wanted to see him in the reindeer outfit?
Love interest. She's into deer.
Old 2010-06-30, 04:19   Link #255
Eak
One angry cloud.

Methinks that is against the rules.. but as of now the DVD/Blu-Rays have yet to be released.

Last edited by ElvenPath; 2010-06-30 at 05:23.
Old 2010-07-05, 05:11   Link #256
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

I enjoyed the movie very much, and after thinking about it, it's very easy to see why. My favorite part of the whole Haruhi series are the first six chronological episodes, largely because they're a self-contained story with a great plot, great pacing, great characters, and a great climax. Most of the other episodes were unremarkable. However, Disappearance was fantastic because, at its core, it's a retelling of the original Haruhi story.

Spoiler for Reasoning behind the 'retelling' claim:

With this perspective, Disappearance is a "rebuild" of the original series more than the Evangelion movies ever were of their source material. It manages to completely rewrite the original plot while retaining the core concepts, and it doesn't sacrifice continuity with the original series to do so. In fact, it builds on the original series, taking us back to Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, recalling Endless Eight, and developing existing characters.

And thus, I find the real reason that I love this movie while the other subsequent works fell flat: rather than a supplement, this is a retelling. It's a fresh take on a unique concept in a familiar setting, and for that reason it surpasses the original completely.

Spoiler for postscript:
Old 2010-07-05, 08:45   Link #257
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Spoiler for postscript:
Spoiler for why its a bad thing:
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Old 2010-07-05, 11:21   Link #258
BoTTen

Watched the movie - it was nizzle.

Spoiler for Which dimension would you choose?!:

But well. What would you do?

Spoiler for blue-haired-killer-girl?:

sry, if these questions have been posted before. I can't really make myself look through all comments to find it... They should make some kind of sub-threads to haruhi Suzumiya. like: Haruhi Suzumiya, movie, which dimension would you choose?.
Old 2010-07-05, 11:34   Link #259
BoTTen

Woh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
Its hella long, almost 3 hours, but I enjoyed every millisecond of it, laughter, suspense and all. I had a very rough idea of how the story would go, but there were so many plot twists I was more than pleasantly surprised, especially when:
It really is 3 hours. I didn't realize it at all. It felt like 1,5 hour or so. It must have been really good x) or maybe i'm just a trained animefreak. Awesome
Old 2010-07-06, 00:09   Link #260
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoTTen View Post
Spoiler for blue-haired-killer-girl?:
Well . . .

Spoiler:
Closed Thread

Tags
best movie ever, haruhi suzumiya