Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-03-18, 16:12   Link #501
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Looked to me like they had plenty of money for the Moribito adaptation. I haven't watched Erin in quite some time, but I don't recall sequences any more expensive to film than the attack on the mountain king's fortress or the assault on that castle in New Yogo.
Oh yes, they could probably do anything that appeared in the anime, but the anime only covered the first two books. There are two more, and the climactic battle is literally apocalyptic in scale. The other thing about the later books is that there are more time skips. Erin is in her early 40s at the end, and her son Jeshi (or Jessie) is around 20.

There's also the fact that the anime is heavily adapted to suit a "family" audience. The books are more for grownups. As we saw, the first two books translated well. I'm not sure the later books would, and that means they'd have to do the entire series in the more grownup tone. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it would be different.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-24, 01:47   Link #502
Darkonus

Has the last 2 books been translated to English, either Fan translated or anywhere else?
Darkonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-01, 22:12   Link #503
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Today I was in my favorite bookstore (Vromans of Pasadena CA), and I came across an English translation of the first two books. That is to say, the books that were adapted into the anime series.

Holy cow! I never knew such a thing existed. (Actually, according to Amazon, it hasn't existed for long.)

Needless to say, I snagged a copy. Now I get to see what was changed for the adaptation.
Old 2019-09-10, 08:47   Link #504
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

So I rewatched Erin for the first time since it was released and was amazed at how little I remembered of the plot in the latter third of the story. Toward the end I could only watch a couple of episodes before needing to stop and catch my breath.

I had a couple of issues with the adaptation. They could have spent a bit more time telling us who the Holon, the Wajyaku, and the Saigamal were, and how these groups (tribes?) were related. The role of the Saigamal was never really explicated, at least not clearly enough for me. And, of course, the comic-relief duo dragged down the rest of the story and cast.

I'm a bit surprised Nanase never voiced another anime character after Erin. She really did an excellent job in a demanding role.

All in all, I was more impressed with this show now some ten years later. If only the NHK would take the same tack with this story as they did with Moribito, releasing a gorgeous live-action version with 18 of the 22 episodes presenting material from the other novels. Erin would require a solid CGI staff to create the animals; Moribito's characters are all largely human.

Definitely glad I decided to watch Erin again.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-18, 18:10   Link #505
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

I have finished the novel! See above if you want to get your own copy. I highly recommend it. My oldest niece (just turned 15) got a copy for Christmas.

There are a lot of differences from the anime. A lot was added to fill the full-year run, and it was made more kid-friendly. But I think both versions work. The novel works as a novel, and the anime works as an anime. That's a rare thing. Most adaptations that make a lot of changes to the original are pretty bad.

Here's a brief rundown of the differences:

Spoiler for "The Best Player" novel:

Okay, that's all I can think of.

Tags
fantasy, production i.g.