AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-28, 11:57   Link #881
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I still cannot, for the love of HORY FROATING HEAD, figure out why Macrss 7 spawned 49 episodes, half dozen OVAs and made Basara one of the more popular anime characters in the mid 90s (yes, popular, he won polls)...

Of all the heroes blessed by kawamori, I HATE HIM THE MOST!

- Tak
I know I've used this before, but I think it's time to use it again...

Dear Tak...
Old 2011-02-28, 12:06   Link #882
magnuskn

I think Alto may be my favourite male Macross character. He's competing awfully hard with Max.
Old 2011-02-28, 12:06   Link #883
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

RESPECT for BASARA-SAMA!!!

'Nuff said.

Old 2011-02-28, 12:08   Link #884
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I think Alto may be my favourite male Macross character. He's competing awfully hard with Max.
nobody beats Max nobody.

Seriously Max is just pure awesome incarnate.
Old 2011-02-28, 12:14   Link #885
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
nobody beats Max nobody.

Seriously Max is just pure awesome incarnate.
Strangely, I like him better in Mac7 than I do in SDFM.

But I think that's due to talking with fellow member Pterobat about why she finds the Max and Milia romance to be entirely creepy and ooky.
Old 2011-02-28, 12:18   Link #886
usspaul

honestly i didnt get the whole love thing between max and milia in SDFM i mean she wanted to kill him to wanting to make out with him. that was a big wtf moment for me in the series
Old 2011-02-28, 12:30   Link #887
magnuskn

Hey, boy meets girl, girl wants to kill boy, boy wins a contest of strength and girl falls in love with him? What's old fashioned about that?
Old 2011-02-28, 12:42   Link #888
moncikoma

alto is 1st
hikaru is 2nd
focker is 3rd
Old 2011-02-28, 12:44   Link #889
usspaul

ah i really like focker i was so pissed when he died.... i was like noo wished he was able to pull an ozuma and not die but what can you do lol. really did feel sorry for claude when he died too
Old 2011-02-28, 12:46   Link #890
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
The first part? Okay, we know the TV ending was decided on by Yoshino, and although the staff (including Kawamori) weren't convinced, they let him go with it.
Speaking of the triangle:

The ending to the original TV series did not really bother me. I already stated couple years ago that in my mind, Sheryl emerged a winner. The ending had her confidently smiling at an insecure Ranka accepting the latter's challenge in love & songs. That was pretty much it for me. It would be nice if the triangle could have been resolved more explicitly, but not required.

Hell, Episode 22 said it all.

I find it strange that LoveMeKags is lecturing us on love, of all things, claiming that love stems from the personality of the opposite sex. Not that I need a lecture of love from a teenager, but news flash, most of us love Sheryl's personality, and dislike Ranka's. I don't know how clear I have to be to state this. Furthermore, I think there is a major problem if we need to get into a twisted philosophical and/or logical argument about a character in order to have us be convinced of his/her likability.

On the topic of Max and Milia:

Yes, that episode where they fought, kiss and marry may seem a bit weird, but its not so weird considering Max already had a crush on her. Besides, Milia at the time was so vulurnable, and so ... erm... cute... (oh dear).

Anyway, to sum it up, even though it was peculier & silly, IT WAS HOT, ok?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-02-28, 12:49   Link #891
magnuskn

Quote:
I find it strange that LoveMeKags is lecturing us on love, of all things, claiming that love stems from the personality of the opposite sex. Not that I need a lecture of love from a teenager, but news flash, most of us love Sheryl's personality, and dislike Ranka's. I don't know how clear I have to be to state this. Furthermore, I think there is a major problem if we need to get into a twisted philosophical and/or logical argument about a character in order to have us be convinced of his/her likability.

Furthermore, to have a relationship, love needs to be two-sided. I am pretty sure that Alto loved Ranka in his own way, but romantic it was not.
Old 2011-02-28, 12:57   Link #892
usspaul

i saw a more friendship type love between ranka and alto where i saw more romantic in sheryl and alto. there where more times when alto blushed to sheryl then ranka. to be honesty i didnt see any hint of romance from alto at all towards ranka but thats just me though.
Old 2011-02-28, 12:59   Link #893
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by usspaul View Post
i saw a more friendship type love between ranka and alto where i saw more romantic in sheryl and alto. there where more times when alto blushed to sheryl then ranka. to be honesty i didnt see any hint of romance from alto at all towards ranka but thats just me though.
Definitely not just you.
Old 2011-02-28, 15:29   Link #894
Thess

Isamu and Roy were my favorite Macross male characters. Followed closely by Michel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
You AxS and AxR plus SxR fans are just delusional for the second movie. They do not have moments as emotional as...

Spoiler for T'is is the pairing that shall STRIKE THE HEAVENS WITH TEARS:
So if Alto helping Ranka to break the mind control in the TV series (=true love), means that

Spoiler for movie spoilers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
But hey, that's me. Fandom mob mentality rubs me the wrong way. So just ignore me...I'll be in the corner weeping over the fact that Nanase only shows up in three scenes in the movie...
So speaking of Nanase. Does she still have a crush on Ranka in the movie? What about Luca's feelings for her? The next Macross should be this love triangle.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2011-02-28 at 15:45.
Old 2011-02-28, 19:35   Link #895
Lancel

Question. And I'm going to spoiler this just because.

Spoiler for Wings of Goodbye sorta:
Old 2011-02-28, 19:56   Link #896
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
So speaking of Nanase. Does she still have a crush on Ranka in the movie? What about Luca's feelings for her?
No and nothing.

Alas...
Old 2011-02-28, 20:42   Link #897
Thess

Aww.

What about Klan and Michel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
Question. And I'm going to spoiler this just because.

Spoiler for Wings of Goodbye sorta:
Good question...

Spoiler for spoilers?:

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-03-01, 01:00   Link #898
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Hm, if memory serves about how Minmei treated Hikaru towards the flying or war; Minmei seemed to not care that he was a warrior. I don't think she truly realized that it was dangerous. After all, she was "in her own world" most of the time.
So was Ranka, and this is from HORYFROATINGHEAD's mouth to print. He said in an interview a while back that Ranka needed to learn how to break from her own bubble and not live in seclusion all the time.

Quote:
A lecture? Hah, romance is not very well understood. I have a boy who wants to marry me just because he's lonely. What does that tell you about men? They lie, play, and rectify our (woman) feelings; yet we still try to "love" them.
We've seen enough of that situation. Some of us are married or in a relationship, I don't think we need you in particular to tell us what is a proper relationship and how to engage in one.

And if you really fell for that boy, God bless you, because I am certain the boy will not.

Quote:
This made a huge plothole for me in the romance and friendship department, as the whole series/movies are revolving around their friendship/connection; but instead of saying to Ranka as he did in the series ("you are my wings"), he pushes her aside like she means nothing. THAT did not settle well with me.
Nobody ever said the triangle would be ever-revolving. I don't know who or what gave you that impression. Originally, the TV series was going to end with a resolution to the triangle, and I dare say most people knew what direction it was headed. While episode 25 gave us an impression that it went unresolved, it did nothing more than delay the inevitable. I also don't see how a friendly connection cannot be maintained if the triangle was resolved.

That said, you need to learn to be a better sport.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2011-03-01 at 01:14.
Old 2011-03-01, 01:28   Link #899
Thess

Quote:
So was Ranka, and this is from HORYFROATINGHEAD's mouth to print. He said in an interview a while back that Ranka needed to learn how to break from her own bubble and not live in seclusion all the time.
He said that? I thought that was her seiyuu or Alto's seiyuu.

But I agree with you, TV Ranka at any rate (episode 20, anyone?). Her movie self is completely different. I don't think it's Ranka's fault, but a little of bad storytelling to establish the pain she feels about the Vajyra over the pain she feels about her broken heart.

Let's please leave the "real life" relationship commentaries aside? This is fiction, again, it's entertainment. Okay? (in general because this could get nasty). Let's not bring up our personal experiences.

They are all fictional.

Quote:
Nobody ever said the triangle would be ever-revolving. I don't know who or what gave you that impression. Originally, the TV series was going to end with a resolution to the triangle, and I dare say most people knew what direction it was headed. While episode 25 gave us an impression that it went unresolved, it did nothing more than delay the inevitable. I also don't see how a friendly connection cannot be maintained if the triangle was resolved.
This sums my thoughts. They were building that from episodes 17+ (as was hinted in a Q&A) and apparently the decision to leave it open to end it eventually (in the movies, hence the "the end of triangle" subtitle-ish) came in episode 25 specifically. Unless I'm wrong...

Of course there were hints here and there of the final outcome.

Spoiler for Spoilers:

Old 2011-03-01, 01:31   Link #900
Tak

Quote:
Alto just lost his best friend and then there was misunderstanding between him and Ranka, so Alto finding out about Sheryl's disease seriously sent off a load of emotions.
My dear, you need to remember: For Sheryl, Alto broke oaths, and while he cared for Ranka, Alto kept a distance even if Ranka didn't notice. Episode 22 did nothing more than to intensify his existing feelings for Sheryl, while Ranka's departure was an afterburner that accelerated the inevitable.

Did Alto not worry about Ranka? Of course he did. Except at that point, his emotions were already pointing at a certain direction even if Alto himself was unaware of it.

- Tak

Closed Thread