AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-06-30, 23:49   Link #501
Chosen_Hero

In my opinion I didn't really like this anime, it fell very flat for me and it all just felt inconsequential, rushed, and forced. Sure this being Trigger it looked good (albeit sometimes it seemed of and not on purpose) and had fairly good animation but apart from that I just can't give it a good score if anything this reinforces my thoughts of this being a very weak anime season apart from like a handful or so of shows.

Here is a review (from someone that actually liked it) that I feel explains part of my problem with this series:

https://moesucks.com/2016/06/25/kizn...12-finale-meh/
Old 2016-07-01, 07:29   Link #502
Kitsu Breaker

I will take Maki scene with Yuta as a joke, different that /a/ think because other way if will be too forced a ''romance'' when they don't even a sentimental scene, bah, they don't ever were close, bah, barely somebody were close here.

This two girls have the best sax life
FIGHT FOR THE YURI
Kitsu Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-01, 08:33   Link #503
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Not really, There are actually as much original or even more than there are light novel adaptions in most seasons. Spring 2016 had 4 light novel adaptions but 9 original works. Summer has two light novel adaptions and 8 original works. Even winter which had 7 LN adaptions, which is a lot compared to the average, had 6 original works airing.

Only counting the last two years or last 8 season, i can think of more LN adaptions that are more worthy to watch than originals so i disagree with your 1/20 assessment.
I always forget to mention that i do not see every anime genres out there. My favorites are action series and, unfortunately, the majority of those come from LN adaptations. But i'm actually surprised to see so many original works as you mentioned. Maybe there is hope after all
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-01, 19:12   Link #504
Dark Paladin X

Announced at Aniplex USA panel at Anime Expo, they have Kiznaiver:

https://twitter.com/tononet/status/749027592171249664
Anime junkie, video gamer, English dub fan, loli lover, and a Tv Tropes sumo. Trope pages created by me: Black Bullet, Erica Mendez, Christine Marie Cabanos, Bang Zoom Entertainment, Clint Bickham, David Wald, Studiopolis, Corey Hartzog, NYAV Post, Max Mittelman, Brianna Knickerbocker, Scott Gibbs, Faye Mata.
Dark Paladin X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-08, 19:46   Link #505
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

The cons were more than the few pros. And the second half was pure poor execution making the interest fade away.

3/10
Sales reflect this. Okada was a mistake.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-16, 01:51   Link #506
Kurohane

There are so many things wrong with this anime and its setting. The Kizna system in the end is just a plot device as a cheap explanation to have things make sense and fails at that. The warning signs were right there from the first and second episode. The protagonist gets pushed down some stairs, he's saved by having his pain shared among six other people (how the heck that works is anyone's guess), yet he and the six others right afterwards look and react totally fine, when the protagonist should at least have a couple broken bones and that pain should have been distributed to the other six. However, only six of the seven are summoned together and have this explained to them. The seventh was purposefully left out to be another episode of the others finding him, which overall was just for episode count, because there was no underlying purpose to having him separated from the others in the main narrative. Of course, everyone had this change done to them without consent and were abducted by a horde of mascots that roam the city for some reason. The mascots continuously act as railroading personified throughout the series, and move the characters to where they need to be and dance to whatever narrative the plot needs them to.

Now, the main characters are forced into this experiment with a threat of a "bad end" if they don't. Their first task is completely nonsensical where they have to "introduce themselves", but really it's to share your most highly kept secret, and not telling will result in several traps bordering on death being activated to force it out of you. Yet in the midst of this highly controlled environment they were placed in, one of main characters manages to get separated from the others somehow in order to give a hint of her dark and troubled past, and later appears in a mascot costume for some reason once the task is finally cleared. Also, she gives her secret after their abductor already said they cleared their first task. Oh, and one character's most valued secret is that she loves the protagonist. She's also the childhood friend and next door neighbor. Yep, a huge guarded secret there, and the first hint at one of many of the forced romances this anime will later try to shove in the audience's face in the second half. So yeah, after that cluster of nonsense, this anime started out in the negative and future episodes would have to work to bring it up, which it never does.

The fault is in half due to it's worldbuilding. Few things make sense and that's due to vagueness and inconsistency. From what was told, this experiment was done once before, the city was constructed for that very purpose, with one third of the citizenry in on it, and ended in a huge failure. As a result, 19 kids that were the subjects were robbed of their sensory system; some can't even go out into society. That an experiment like this happened and not one mention of it was on the news or any social media not even as a rumor is ridiculous. I imagine parents would be outraged and/or distraught for what happened, especially the parents to the kids that were experimented on. But that's the issue isn't it? While parents are mentioned, rarely any of them are shown. The protagonist was a subject of the first experiments, yet he still gets the same cliche that his parents work overseas, when any caring parent after seeing what happened to their child would be with him no matter what. The only parents that do appear aren't even any of the main characters', but for a side character, and they only appear for a few minutes.

Once learning the protagonist was part of the first experiment, you ask the question "why was he chosen again?". It is never made clear. It may have been to get his pain back, which is necessary for him to start emoting again (but it's really not), but later we learn that another subject is willingly keeping his and all the other kids' pain in her, which is ridiculous and a contradiction to previous info (which I'll get to later), and the other subject's goal in the end was never for him to get his pain back despite earlier hints that's what she wanted, and starts off what is one of the most sorry excuses of a plot twist and final confrontation. It's all just a mess.

I look at the the two experiments done for the Kizna system, and they only have a few similarities. The first experiment as a whole is even more ludicrous than than one we find our main characters in. It started with a mistake that resulted in one kid out of nineteen was solely getting the pain out of 5 kids (jumps to all of them later for no reason). Gradually, the kids that were having their pain transferred became desensitized, not just physically but emotionally as well that carried over to the present. The current subjects didn't have these problems. For one, the current subjects' pain was distributed equally. Second, theirs had a time limit and were freed after summer vacation, contrasting the original that continues to the current time. If the researchers made improvements, how the heck did they test the modifications before the story starts? Did they just administer it to the current subjects, and it worked? But if they were able to fix the previous problems, wouldn't they be able to cure the first subjects? You're left wondering because it is never explained! It's instead used to set up one of the project members as some tragic character, because that person is the same kid that all the pain was transferred to. The girl's circumstances get contradicted too, making the attempt at sympathy ineffective. During certain moments the protagonist somehow is able to feel the pain of the girl through their Kizna link when from what was explained is impossible, even emotional pain in the last episode, when only the current subjects were able to advance to that level. In addition, as I mentioned before, she's also willingly keeping the pain of the other previous subjects, which in no instance beforehand was ever hinted to be possible. Her entire condition was because of a botch, and was something she had no control over. However, in the final episode, we're told she does have control over it.

Some may argue that the lack of consistency in the setting and it's rules is okay, because it would take away from the character interactions. However, if your setting is crap, why would the characters be treated any better. The answer is they aren't. Late in the story, the focus shifts mainly on the girl from the first experiment and the protagonist's forced romance to her, and away from the six other main characters. The seven are still in the midst of working out their drama, making this change in direction absurd. The anime is supposedly about theses seven characters' issues and how they bond through overcoming those problems. However, their friendship is mostly told, not shown. The times they are all together are limited, and when they split into smaller groups, it's always with the same people. There's no diversity. The reason is for the other forced romances that are again mostly told and not shown. How forced is it? They have to have side characters make a character sheet on who likes who, along with expressing how "obvious" it was. The romance is also the main source of drama, as if it needed it. Seven people are linked to their pain. They have no clue if these people that forced them into it will keep their word and release them after summer vacation, and constantly have to worry about each others' safety, especially when one of the seven is a masochist. However, none of these very reasonable issues are utilized. After their initial abduction and forced cooperation, the main characters just walk off what's happened to them and go home for the day. The next day, they continue on normally, which is not normal! They act as if they haven't become lab rats and had their human rights violated. Even when they find out their teacher and counselor are part of the project, they don't act realistically. Only one of them gets angry; the others are far more subdued and calm. What's worse is these two characters are only here to give exposition and act like giant scumbags. It becomes more inconsistent when the counselor suddenly has a change of heart late in the series and believes what they're doing is inhumane and immoral, when she was shown to be able to cross that line well before and not show an ounce of remorse.

Kiznaiver constantly tried to have it's cake and eat it too, even at the cost of situations and reactions being portrayed consistently. It wants this SoL drama along with an over the top setting and situations, but in attempting to do both, does neither one of them well. Seriously, in the end, why were none of the committee members arrested!?

Last edited by Kurohane; 2016-09-16 at 13:02.
Kurohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-16, 02:44   Link #507
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Idk what to say. It sounds like you thought you might be part of the target audience when maybe... you're not?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-16, 02:46   Link #508
Kurohane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Idk what to say. It sounds like you thought you might be part of the target audience when maybe... you're not?
Target audience has nothing to do with poor writing.
Old 2016-09-16, 02:50   Link #509
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

In your subjective opinion, maybe. Don't get me wrong, I've almost forgotten about this show entirely until you brought it up, but I got my enjoyment out of it when it was live.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote