AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: What Genre of music do you like? (if not there what is the closest?)
Classical 25 38.46%
Metal 23 35.38%
Heavy Metal 14 21.54%
Trash Metal 13 20.00%
Emo 10 15.38%
Screamo 8 12.31%
Blues 16 24.62%
Fast Rock 23 35.38%
Rock and Roll 27 41.54%
Country... lol 8 12.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-09-30, 00:46   Link #1
Rokime
Sexy Member (HAHA i wish)

Send a message via MSN to Rokime
Guitar Players

For all the Guitar lovers out there, if you just want to chat about guitars and what you would consider the top 10 greatest guitar songs just leave a post here.
also you could leave a post giving us the details about ur guitar and ur style of music! you could even (if we are allowed) have some links to some pictures of the model of your guitar.
I have an Ibanez Prestige it is a sweet sounding guitar made for heavy metal mainly, but it can give some nice clean sounds too. What guitar/s do u have and what style does it best suit.
what is you opinion on the best guitar?
What bands do u listen to?

Right now im into a band called 'Children of Bodom' not into there singing much but there guitar is amazing (to me) other great guitar bands would be 'Bullet for my Valentine', 'Metallica', 'Iron Maiden', 'Avenged Sevenfold', 'Lamb of God' and of course 'Pantera'... thanks 'InternalBrain' that is all i can think of atm if u have more please post a tell us!

Enjoy!

Last edited by Rokime; 2007-10-09 at 04:47.
Rokime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 01:08   Link #2
Thingle
Banned

You forgot to mention Pantera.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 02:10   Link #3
Pell14

I dig into oldies pop =) erm and anime songs haha!

My favourite artist are John Lennon, Mark Knopfler, Brian May, Joe Walsh.

My current main guitar is a Fender Jap Mustang. Scalloped it =) I dont have lengthy fingers thats probably why i prefer a short scale guitar. As for scalloping, my first guitar was also scalloped due the influence of blackmore and malmsteen. I cant play anything else other than a scalloped fretboard to be honest. I got a 1989 rg550 from ebay too, but im arent a fan of the original wizard neck and broad neck is a throttle to my playing.

As for techniques, my main strength is that i could do legato fairly well. My weakness is that my fretting fingers and picking fingers dont synchronise very well
Pell14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 06:26   Link #4
Rokime
Sexy Member (HAHA i wish)

Send a message via MSN to Rokime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pell14 View Post
I dig into oldies pop =) erm and anime songs haha!

My favourite artist are John Lennon, Mark Knopfler, Brian May, Joe Walsh.

My current main guitar is a Fender Jap Mustang. Scalloped it =) I dont have lengthy fingers thats probably why i prefer a short scale guitar. As for scalloping, my first guitar was also scalloped due the influence of blackmore and malmsteen. I cant play anything else other than a scalloped fretboard to be honest. I got a 1989 rg550 from ebay too, but im arent a fan of the original wizard neck and broad neck is a throttle to my playing.

As for techniques, my main strength is that i could do legato fairly well. My weakness is that my fretting fingers and picking fingers dont synchronise very well
lol wow that is awesome i like John Willims he is a really old guitarist he is very very good he is a classical player. but as i have said im more into playing fast riffs and solo's although im not very good a any of them i try. if uz really want to hear a sweet fast song.. however u will have to block out the awful screaming, i suggest getting 'Children of Bodom' (the band) 'Following the Reaper' (The song name) it has some seriously fast, skilled (for me) Guitar
Rokime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 08:39   Link #5
Daughter!

I have a 55' Les Paul. I mainly play Blues with it, but I've used it to handle just about anything. I can get some great clean tones out of it, but it sounds real nice when you run it dirty, too.
Daughter! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 09:00   Link #6
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
Hmm.... I'm a Progressive Rock fan, and none of those choices come close. :\ I play da Bass, can't be bothered with Guitar. The strings are so close together!

The guitarists I love and respect, though, are Dave Gilmour and Steve Hackette. Oo you want top ten songs...? Ok this is gonna be hard.

1. Run Like Hell - Pink Floyd
2. Mother - Pink Floyd
3. In the Cage - Genesis
4. White Lips Kissed - Mew
5. Waiting for the Worms - Pink Floyd
6. Comforting Sounds - Mew
7. Supper's Ready - Genesis
8. Close to the Edge - Yes
9. Welcome to the Machine - Pink Floyd
10. Apocalypso - Mew
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 09:56   Link #7
Fome

I'm a little prog metal myself, leaning slightly towards melodic. Although for some reason, Van Halen is still one of my favorite guitarists. My favorite band is Siam Shade.

I play an Ibanez JS1000 through a Mesa Boogie Mark III.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 12:40   Link #8
mrvetle

Last edited by mrvetle; 2008-07-02 at 20:30.
mrvetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 12:46   Link #9
Daughter!

I'm trying to build a guitar right now. Anyone who knows a lot about this, a little advice would be appreciated.

I bought this old 50's Strat on EBay for $500 and my friend gave me a Telecaster that he doesn't play anymore. I want to remove the neck of the Tele, and put the Strat neck in it's stead. I also want to take the Gibson PAF Humbucker off of my Les Paul, and stick it on the Tele, too. I really love the neck of a Strat, and those Gibson PAFs, but I like the tone of an older Telecaster as well. How's this sound?
Old 2007-09-30, 15:33   Link #10
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Ok...who here loves playing Guitar Hero? Because I DO, I used to never really listen to that kind of music, and then the game came out and I found myself playing it and then later searching for those songs and listening to more music from the various artists.

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 15:57   Link #11
mrvetle

Last edited by mrvetle; 2008-07-02 at 20:30.
mrvetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 16:08   Link #12
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

80's hair metal - Van Halen, Motley Crue, Dokken, The scorpions, the Darkness etc etc
Power Metal - Sonata Artica, Stratovarious, Dragonforce etc etc
Fingerstlye/Flamenco - Chet Atkins, Tommy Emmanuel, Armik
Neo-classical- Uli Jon Roth, Yngwie Malmsteen mainly

A piece that only uses powerchords with no solos isn't much of a challenge and isn't worth learning to me.
Seriously apart from metal the only good guitarists on TV are gess what = on the country music channel. they are far superior to the ramone wannabe's in terms of musicianship and technique.

Oh and unless you've bought a 50's strat reissue, $500 is about right, I find it highly unlikely you have a 1950's strat sitting there when a single original 1950's tuner from a strat is like $300-$400.

Your problems
Neck: Well there's no reason you can't do it provided the necks both have the same length scale. Your only problem maybe additional routing of the neck pocket to make it fit. Also be specific about the feel of the neck - there's been a shedload of neck profiles for teles over the last 60 years, most of which are mirrorred in strat necks
As for your pickups it's not clear what you want to do. Are you modding the tele or are you modding the strat? It's easier to mod the strat as most strats have a swimming pool route under the pickguard or 3 single pickup routes. But to get a LP/Strat/Tele hybrid tone is nigh on impossible. You'll have to make compromises in tone.
Without doing a whole heap of routing your best bet to get a little bit of tele, strat and LP tones is making your strat into a HSS config. PAF in the bridge, a some vintage wound single pickup in the neck and middle like kinmans. But it isn't just about pickups, it's about the wood it's about the shape. LP's are mahogany which is a harder wood allowing for a thicker sound, strat's teles are alder/poplar which produce different tonal properties.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 16:33   Link #13
Daughter!

I'll probably mod the Strat now. Thanks for your help, your post actually is really really helpful. Thanks so much.
Old 2007-09-30, 16:40   Link #14
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Oh BTW I'm grateful for guitar hero - even though I've never played it. All these kids are buying real guitars like PRS and LP's and finding out its harder than pressing 4-5 buttons and selling it not long after at a discount. I've just put a deposit on a 3 week old Ibanez Iceman after a kid bought it and gave up on it within a month.
Old 2007-09-30, 17:11   Link #15
CandyVanMan
Part Time Hikikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Oh BTW I'm grateful for guitar hero...
I'm on the other end. I'm fine on my guitars and basses, but I can't play G-H to save my life. But I did do fine on the Taiko game in Akihabara last year.

As for my musical styles, I like mostly Metal but I listen to almost everything except Emo, Gangsta, and Country. Lately, I've been hooked on The White Stripes and I've been trying to track down just about any project Buckethead has been involved in.

My gear: Heavily rewired lefty Fender Strat, rewired Dean ML, Wilson archtop, Epiphone Explorer bass, and a Hohner BassV with home-brew preamp. All are strung for lefty playing. Much of the rewiring involves parallel, series, phase, and humbucker coil splitting. My amps are a Fender Blues Deluxe and a 1974 Kustom 250 with a folded horn. To top it off, I have a ~1975 Ludwig Vistalite kit to really piss off the neighborhood.
CandyVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 17:32   Link #16
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

phase switching - is it worth the effort? I was thinking of putting a varitone switch but I don't want to mod my Parker or the Maton. It's something I'd consider doing to a mexi fat strat at most
Old 2007-09-30, 17:35   Link #17
Daughter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
phase switching - is it worth the effort? I was thinking of putting a varitone switch but I don't want to mod my Parker or the Maton. It's something I'd consider doing to a mexi fat strat at most

It is worth the effort.
Old 2007-09-30, 18:49   Link #18
Corruptor
*Graphic Designer

Children of Bodoms melodic music is really cool. I love Warheart and mask of sanity.
Corruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 19:15   Link #19
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop-Punk Sucks View Post
It is worth the effort.
Not to be a jerk, but considering your previous posts in this thread, I need a bit better detail than that. I can see it as nice gimmick, in a blues/Jazz type genre where low gain is used I can see it has some purpose, but in med/high gain = ?????? Considering resale will be even worse than usual when I route out a chunk of wood to fit the circuitry for a varitone switch, "it is" is not really the answer I'm looking for .
Old 2007-09-30, 19:45   Link #20
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

...I need to get into playing again