AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Horizon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 48 77.42%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 11.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 4 6.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.84%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-25, 10:12   Link #21
kemal_1915

Okay, finished
I only have one comment: why is next summer so far from me?
Old 2011-12-25, 13:28   Link #22
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
Hey, atleast Horizon ended the season off with a bang, unlike that other show.
What's the other show?
Old 2011-12-25, 13:34   Link #23
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post

Also probably the most underrated series this year.
More like just generally unappreciated, at least in the West since Japan seems to love it.

From what I can tell not many people gave it much of a chance and I can still find people around the internet who clearly never saw more than a couple episodes at most claiming it's nothing more than a fanservice show about big boobs. Also very people people seemed to have had the patience to meet it's unusual style of dialogue halfway so the other claim is that it's confusing, poorly written and nonsensical. These people should obviously never be introduced to Finnegan's Wake.
Old 2011-12-25, 13:42   Link #24
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

This show just needed a 15 minute animated narration to establish the setting... like the beginning of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring.

The setting is really complicated. It takes a long while to figure out what the hell is going on. The series hasn't even completely explained where they are.
Old 2011-12-25, 13:58   Link #25
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
This show just needed a 15 minute animated narration to establish the setting... like the beginning of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring.

The setting is really complicated. It takes a long while to figure out what the hell is going on. The series hasn't even completely explained where they are.
That's why the discs packed with guide-bundle on it, they go with "easier" route.
Old 2011-12-25, 15:06   Link #26
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
What's the other show?
Probably referring to F/Z.

Random comments + observations for episode 13:
  • Sunrise you asshole, that cliffhanger is too mean.
  • Any anime that ends with a baseball episode is guarantee God-tiered.
  • I should learn not to be surprised by any sort of attacks in this anime.
  • Nice ass (Horizon and Masazumi)
  • Extremely good flashback special effects (along with godly BGM)
  • HORIZON IS MOEEEE
  • Must've burnt a ton of money on the special effects (Kawakami himself thanked 川原さん for the DSA's soul over drive effects, basically he drew 5 seconds of the "loop" frame and then have to replicate that)
  • Kawakami designed the ship's gallery, then 沙倉さん turned it into the animated design
  • Kawakami said probably nobody anticipated the last episode will go "that far" into volume 2 (this is up to the first 3 chapters of vol 2 I believe)
  • Sunrise is an ass for not letting us know who Mary's VA is (we already have Tanaka Rie joining us, muahahhaha).
  • Toori and Horizon's perfect match (looking at the breakfast frame)
  • The ship's "transformation" scene is very, very amazing. Along with the flashback, Sunrise probably burnt a ton of money on this episode (which makes sense considering the previous episode has like almost 0 animation).
  • The chibi design is a very nice touch for the novel readers; it felt like these DSAs are "toys" from Motonobu for his daughter as his parting gift.
  • TOORI FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE GET INNOCENTIUS'S DSA BACK // Is it possible to just remove Munehige's DSA and just have Horizon get the ero-feelings back
  • Minorin's perfect match for Horizon's character.
  • Sunrise won. The episode even has a godly built in MAD, what an amazing way to end this season.
  • Even the "enemies" got me all hyped up (referring to the "death charge" by the "senpais").
  • PA Oda's entrance is totally badass.
  • Musashi is mai waifu.

My thoughts
  • The animation for this episode is gorgeous, the flashback honestly was my favorite. I felt it was very difficult to animate Horizon's thoughts and emotion (her first time feeling anything is sadness ), but the BGM and special effects did that beautifully. Minorin's just so good for this kinda of role. The details and the animation are wonderful (especially with the fuel charging up from the deck).
  • The activation frames are important, please don't miss them.
  • Tenzou and Ulq are full of spoilers.
  • Whoever's in charge of music did a wonderful job with the different rendition of Tooshidouka; it helps that the song's lyrics fit very well cinematically too.
  • Kawakami must be a wonderful author to work with. Despite the massive info setting/restriction, I'm glad the staff still be able to come up with very nice presentations for the scenes, so the novel readers still feel pretty fresh watching this.
  • Horizon is never the top series (taking into account of budget, hype from source material and staff involved, and broadcast timeslot/translation availability). While it's not as under-appreciated as UN-GO, I felt like this is the dark horse of the season. I definitely had the most fun following this on a weekly basis.
  • A point worth noting: VA's commentary is amazing. This is basically the 2ch livebroadcast thread with them talking about the scenes. Their conversations make up for all the characterizations that were lost due to the lines being axed from the anime. (lol vol1's out of stock on Amazon, freaking understock ftl)

Trivia question based on this episode (for season 2): What is "La Armada Invencible"?

Happy Tsirhcmas everyone =), even though the other hemisphere had it already.
Old 2011-12-25, 19:52   Link #27
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

But Horizon is like, the top few biggest anime of this season....

Dark horse would be more like C^3.....
Old 2011-12-25, 20:53   Link #28
kemal_1915

Nowadays, most of the viewers don't have patient for plot building
so we have "3 eps test" for more patient one
but most of them want "bomb", "bomb", "bomb" at the beginning
Old 2011-12-25, 20:57   Link #29
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
But Horizon is like, the top few biggest anime of this season....

Dark horse would be more like C^3.....
A dark horse is one that nobody expects to make it big, but it does.

Unfortunately C3 never made it big

Though on the other hand, quite a number of people had expectations out of Horizon in the beginning, just not as much as say Guilty Crown, Persona, Fate/Zero or Haganai...
Old 2011-12-25, 21:15   Link #30
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Though on the other hand, quite a number of people had expectations out of Horizon in the beginning, just not as much as say Guilty Crown, Persona, Fate/Zero or Haganai...
I'm glad I am one of those people. This is so worthy to follow on the weekly basis.
Old 2011-12-25, 21:18   Link #31
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
A dark horse is one that nobody expects to make it big, but it does.

Unfortunately C3 never made it big

But even before the anime Horizon was already one of the bigger (so many bad puns you can get from this) LN titles around....

I would say C^3 fared better than most of the other shows that were condemned before they even aired...
Old 2011-12-25, 21:23   Link #32
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
But even before the anime Horizon was already one of the bigger (so many bad puns you can get from this) LN titles around....
Ahh my impression of 'big' has already been corrupted by the sales of Index, Baka-Test, Haruhi etc

I forgot that there are other numbers than "100k+"

Quote:
I would say C^3 fared better than most of the other shows that were condemned before they even aired...
Hmmm, if we're going to go by that then Ben-Tou and Mashiro would also be considered Dark Horses.
Old 2011-12-25, 21:33   Link #33
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Ahh my impression of 'big' has already been corrupted by the sales of Index, Baka-Test, Haruhi etc

I forgot that there are other numbers than "100k+"

Hmmm, if we're going to go by that then Ben-Tou and Mashiro would also be considered Dark Horses.
There's also 991 (no of pages in 4C...)

True for Ben-Tou but Mashiro fared well?
Old 2011-12-25, 21:42   Link #34
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:

True for Ben-Tou but Mashiro fared well?
Fared well in terms of sales? Probably not (Neither is Ben-tou from what I've heard)

Fared well in terms of how good the show is? The general response is yes, but as you know that's subjective.
Old 2011-12-26, 01:00   Link #35
DorkingtonPugsly

What a great last episode, loved it! My favorite parts were probably Horizon's flashback (didn't even recognize that bgm until a few seconds in), the awesome animations, Toori being all awesome (as usual), the ending credit scene, and that cliffhanger... which i actually loved. I didn't think they would even go into vol.2 but they did and that made me ultra-happy. It's funny how I was the most excited in the last 2~3 mins of the episode/season. Summer break 2012 is gonna be amazing.
Old 2011-12-26, 01:05   Link #36
ninja_pintu

hmm... maybe the reason Horizon is being called a dark horse in Japan is because it was supposed to be impossible to adapt?
Old 2011-12-26, 02:01   Link #37
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_pintu View Post
hmm... maybe the reason Horizon is being called a dark horse in Japan is because it was supposed to be impossible to adapt?
To clarify, that's my thought, not Japan's.

Quote:
Fared well in terms of sales? Probably not (Neither is Ben-tou from what I've heard)

Fared well in terms of how good the show is? The general response is yes, but as you know that's subjective.
For me, doing well either means getting award, doing well on sales, or having a lot of worthwhile discussion.

While I like C cube (Yukarinnnn), I don't think it qualifies as a dark horse. I don't follow Mashiroiro enough to comment on that. Bento I enjoyed as well, but novel fans hate it for taking up liberties with the plot, so I can't say that's completely successful adaptation either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemal_1915 View Post
Nowadays, most of the viewers don't have patient for plot building
so we have "3 eps test" for more patient one
but most of them want "bomb", "bomb", "bomb" at the beginning
Horizon had a lot of issues on the English side, so I wouldn't put all the fault on the audiences (in retrospect that is).

Japanese/Chinese have streaming sites ("sunflower" and "railgun") with commentaries that help answer some questions and point out plots that you would've missed otherwise (within 12 hours ...). English ... half week late translation = terrible for discussion in terms of pacing. There are probably more stuff I can mention for each episode, but the enthusiasm drops when I already watched the episode a few times (and school). Weekly, I still see people finishing the episode on Friday and we already have the next episode Saturday morning.

Though I still think its a very nice gesture from mods for giving us a SF to help clear up the discussions (though I'm one of those who didn't think we didn't need it at first), the decision is still very much surprising considering I thought most of the discussions were doomed to begin with due to the (lack of timely) subs. I'm just happy that a certain "group(s)" killed another group, so people stopped getting misinformed.
Old 2011-12-26, 02:49   Link #38
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Plot is hanging... I was hoping of a romance at the end....but...

What I'm amazed was the SFX (where the hell those equipments coming from and... and...offerings???? duh?? I'll trade my lunch, or pray to a "maus"?)

The D-E cups are fine but sometimes too much already.

Kimi's song is EPICAL!!!!!!!! It still bangs in my head.. Kimi, I love YOU(Kimi). Judge.
Old 2011-12-26, 05:53   Link #39
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Japanese/Chinese have streaming sites ("sunflower" and "railgun") with commentaries that help answer some questions and point out plots that you would've missed otherwise (within 12 hours ...). English ... half week late translation = terrible for discussion in terms of pacing. There are probably more stuff I can mention for each episode, but the enthusiasm drops when I already watched the episode a few times (and school). Weekly, I still see people finishing the episode on Friday and we already have the next episode Saturday morning.
Yeah, Hadena .

I must say thank to you and that infodump site that I managed to stay with this series until now.
Old 2011-12-26, 08:31   Link #40
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

Yeah sales.

I know Mashiro has a fair chance of being decent since I have the game...

Quote:
English ... half week late translation = terrible for discussion in terms of pacing. There are probably more stuff I can mention for each episode, but the enthusiasm drops when I already watched the episode a few times (and school). Weekly, I still see people finishing the episode on Friday and we already have the next episode Saturday morning.
To be honest I have no idea what the English ver is like....even though I hear it's not good?