AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi Kai Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 26 32.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 36.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 21.52%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 7.59%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.27%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-02, 02:23   Link #41
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Great episode. I think people that are criticizing this episode for lack of plot movement have missed a couple of things, one of which is the underlying theme of defeating fate through unity which I think is going to be very important later on. The other is that, you just can't rush these sort of things. It's a complex situation that can't be resolved with a simple action. A simple action (killing Teppei) was already attempted in a past arc, and we saw quite clearly in Tatarigoroshi-hen that is simply does not work.

Slow, or not, it's still dramatic, IMO. Higurashi really is in the top tier as far as execution of drama is concerned, particularly this second season. There's hardly anything that's forced or over-the-top, and the storytelling is that good that pretty much every dramatic plot point is either absorbing and/or moving.

This just continues to be one of the (if not, the) best anime of the year, IMO.
Old 2007-09-02, 06:07   Link #42
Mystearika

yayy i wasnt the only who noticed the otakos in the watanagashi manga.
i never througth i would see them again

an otako army, am i the only who think higurashis humor is very special, but i like it

and thanks to higurashi i can never think on deserts the same way aggain
Old 2007-09-02, 14:14   Link #43
Kisuke06
I see...

Great episode. Whoever says this episode lacks plot movement should watch it again.

But I didn't really understand what is Satako's illness...
Old 2007-09-02, 14:30   Link #44
Aisling

They way Satoko's illness is described makes me think of all the instances in the past where members of the club went insane. Don't you think so? Rika said basically they feel paranoid and can't shake that feeling...I'd say that definitely describes the way Keiichi, Rena, and Shion have acted in past arcs. Satoshi too, I think.
I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that the town sees the Houjous as cursed. I know the town hates them because of the Dam War issue, but I wonder if Satoko's illness has some part in it. Crazy!Shion said the same thing during that ladder-shaking scene...that Satoko was a cursed child who would never have peace. But how could she have known during that arc that Satoko was sick with that weird disease?
Old 2007-09-02, 14:53   Link #45
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Nice episode, but left me wanting more right away.. Meeh..

Poor Satoko i still feel bad for her.

Old 2007-09-02, 15:00   Link #46
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that the town sees the Houjous as cursed. I know the town hates them because of the Dam War issue, but I wonder if Satoko's illness has some part in it. Crazy!Shion said the same thing during that ladder-shaking scene...that Satoko was a cursed child who would never have peace. But how could she have known during that arc that Satoko was sick with that weird disease?
The Houjou are considered cursed, as the houjou couple died in an accident during the watanagashi, in 1980. Also, Houjou Tamae was killed in 1982, while satoshi disappeared. That make 4 victimes, among the 4 incidents. this is the reason they are believed cursed, especially they are traitors (and since oyashiro-sama is known to be wrathful against enemies and betrayers, you know the deal...)

as for Shion, she just go mad, and mixed her jealousy and grudge (since satoko was a "leech" for Satoshi) with the common belief.
Old 2007-09-02, 22:54   Link #47
Keriaku
Thought Being

So what TIPS go with this episode?
Old 2007-09-03, 00:37   Link #48
BakaOnna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keriaku View Post
So what TIPS go with this episode?
I'm not positive, but I think Repression and the Notebook, No Back-Up, The Nuisance and Her Return to School, and The Conduct of Being a Public Official.

Anyway, lots of progression in this episode, but still excellent.
Old 2007-09-03, 01:44   Link #49
Davidj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The Houjou are considered cursed, as the houjou couple died in an accident during the watanagashi, in 1980. Also, Houjou Tamae was killed in 1982, while satoshi disappeared. That make 4 victimes, among the 4 incidents. .
Satoko can also be given credit for the deaths of Rika's parents since they took her in and sheltered her over the objection of oba-san.
Old 2007-09-03, 14:03   Link #50
narmi
The Asian who's Malaysian

Hmm the episode was excellent and I'm happy that they have decided to run this arc now. Anyway once this arc finishes I bet were going to have to wait a few episodes before they go to the "finishing point" of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni in general. Though if they did a filler episode based on the Hirukowashi-hen. That episode would be a great "comical relief" episode for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisuke06 View Post
Great episode. Whoever says this episode lacks plot movement should watch it again.

But I didn't really understand what is Satako's illness...
From Rika's explaination of the small dot on the wall. We could interpret it as a fly or a cockroach. Now if you apply this to Satoko's case of her Uncle being abusive to her. When she sees a midlde aged man, she would interpret that middle aged man as her abusive Uncle. That's the "disease" Satoko has. In my opinion that disease might have started after her parents died and the event were her brother Satoshi "disappeared".

http://www.nanofate.us/ NanoFate main website Weiss Schwarz Facebook Group - Deck theme: MSLN Nanoha

Last edited by narmi; 2007-09-03 at 14:18.
Old 2007-09-03, 15:58   Link #51
Jaden

Nah, her disease is clearly what's caused all the madness incidents in previous chapters. Otherwise known as Oyashiro-sama's curse? Irie spoke of "level three" before. So basically level one would be no symptoms, level two would still be not-so-disastrous, level three can be suppressed with the daily shots, and level four means you're completely nuts and prone to commit suicide by clawing your throat out.

Or something like that.

Probably all in Hinamizawa carry the disease, but it's only triggered/worsened by natural mental unstability. And it's the only reason I can think of for why the town is getting purged.

Rika exaplained the disease the way she did probably because Keiichi would have a hard time believing the truth, and it's not relevant for saving Satoko from her current predicament.
Old 2007-09-03, 19:56   Link #52
Rias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidj View Post
Satoko can also be given credit for the deaths of Rika's parents since they took her in and sheltered her over the objection of oba-san.
Althought Satoko's parents died in 2nd year and Rika's parents died in the 3rd, Satoko and Satoshi was living with their uncle and aunt until their aunt died in the 4th year and Satoshi disappeared. It was until then that Satoko moved out of her house and stayed at Rika's place.

As for Rika's father, we know that he was a pacifist and was merely in a neutral stance about the dam war. His version of "Oyashiro-sama's Curse" is that he did not support the anti-dam effort, not becuase he was against it or helping the Honjou

So basically Satoko has nothing to do with Rika's parents dying.
Old 2007-09-04, 00:34   Link #53
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Never before that I felt like I did when I watched this episode. This episode really delivered the emotion it was portraying. For those people who just skimmed this episode, I tell you that you're missing a lot.
Old 2007-09-05, 22:45   Link #54
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Finally got to see the episode after internet died for a whole week.

The story didn't progress as much as I thought it would. On the other hand, they did an excellent job portraying Keiichi's charisma to bring together such a large group of people to fight for one single cause.

It's only getting started. The next episode will sure be one to look forward to, as everyone, and I mean everyone will join the battle to saving Satoko.

Oh, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who exploded in laughters when the otakus in Angel Mort began to chant "E-rin! E-rin!"
Old 2007-09-06, 04:55   Link #55
Mappy
Eat This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Nah, her disease is clearly what's caused all the madness incidents in previous chapters. Otherwise known as Oyashiro-sama's curse? Irie spoke of "level three" before. So basically level one would be no symptoms, level two would still be not-so-disastrous, level three can be suppressed with the daily shots, and level four means you're completely nuts and prone to commit suicide by clawing your throat out.
L5 is tearing your throat out territory, I believe. L3 is fits of explosive emotional distress and/or delusion, such as with Satoko at various stages of Tatarigoroshi-hen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Or something like that.
Or something like that.
Old 2007-09-06, 16:48   Link #56
kitedragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsky123 View Post
this part should be linked to that poem regarding that frog who climb :P.
Wow, that just helped me realize how Higurashi references the entirety of an old poem. Except it would give away future spoilers.
Spoiler:

Sushi-Y: I can't believe you just made me check to see if they really said that. It does sound awfully similar.

Even though the 10th episode already aired, I'm extremely curious as to how people die this chapter. Which I'm extremely certain will happen.
Old 2007-09-07, 01:36   Link #57
kohakuslayer
River Spirit
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to kohakuslayer Send a message via MSN to kohakuslayer Send a message via Yahoo to kohakuslayer
I hate Satoko's uncle....he needs to burn in hell.
Old 2007-09-07, 01:43   Link #58
Mappy
Eat This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohakuslayer View Post
I hate Satoko's uncle....he needs to burn in hell.
Makes watching Tatarigoroshi and Tsumihoroboshi that much more satisfying, really.
Old 2007-09-07, 22:29   Link #59
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
No doubt Satoko's uncle is at the top of the list of guys I'd like to see suffering in a pit of burning death. Maybe only second to the person/person's behind Rika's eternal cycle of death and suffering.
Old 2007-09-09, 09:20   Link #60
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Huff, I'm lagging behind about a two-week delay due to following the subs.

Well, the wait was worth since the episode was so dramatically touching and Rika once again puts into practice an important lesson she learned from the other worlds.

Spoiler:

That pretty sums much up why everyone loves Satoko and want to rescue her.

Keiichi gathered his well thought-up choices of Hinamizawa troops, but I hope that Oni-baba not chooses to bring her tazer.

You know that Sonozaki -s are armed up with tazers, right?
Closed Thread