AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2008-12-25, 21:52   Link #11621
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

My wife and I just got back from my parents, then got into our presents from each other, and then here I go on-line and find all these great Christmas fanfics. Thanks, everybody, and happy holidays!

Edit: Page claim for being too stuffed with turkey to realize that I should be page-claiming!

Last edited by DezoPenguin; 2008-12-26 at 18:15. Reason: Page claim!
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 01:22   Link #11622
Hiria
ArisaxSuzuka Fan! ^^

Send a message via Yahoo to Hiria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allquall View Post
Merry Christmas, FFT.

Spoiler for Christmas Cruff:

NSFW: Wanwan's Omake
Spoiler for NSFW!:
WAAAAAAAAARM!!!!
Cute! ;]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Merry Christmas!!!

A Nanoha Christmas Story

Enjoy~

Quall, I loved your story <3
awwww. cute! fluffy. Nice. ^^
Hiria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 10:18   Link #11623
Vie
Rabid

I think I'm rather too late. ^^;;;
Posted this fic on FFnet, but didn't manage to get to post about it on the thread, so here goes.

Merry day after Christmas! :P
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 12:14   Link #11624
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by satashi View Post
A Nanoha Christmas Story

Enjoy~
It was sweet and all, yet it felt as if the heart of the party was not there. There's the buildup with everyone arriving seperately. Yet, after all are present, the gathering flashes by in just two paragraphs. All the conversations and interactions you breezed over could have been expanded into entire paragraphs showing how they're not just friends, they're family now.

Spoiler for There are also a couple of odd word choices and typos:

Quote:
Hayate repressed a laugh. “She's sounding like an old maid already.”

“I'm not old!” Nanoha's protest came from the yard as she was finishing.
If my impression of "old maid" is correct, Nanoha can counter that not only is she not old, but she's married already.
Speaking of which, it was odd that you didn't mention the fact that they were married until the "handed it to her wife" line. It's like you started out as if they were simply living together, then decided they were married, but did not rewrite the prior parts in light of this. The shift is very jarring.

Other than these slight matters, it's a very heartwarming fic. Good job again.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 14:59   Link #11625
Kaix
[. . .]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vie View Post
I think I'm rather too late. ^^;;;
Posted this fic on FFnet, but didn't manage to get to post about it on the thread, so here goes.

Merry day after Christmas! :P
I'll admit I'm not sure how to properly read this. If I'm reading each sentence as standalone, then they turn out as simply short and quite nice. Some of them are really heart-warming, while others give a good laugh.

However since I'm reading them one after the other my mind tries to find hidden connections between them. It makes jumping around back and forth through time a little chaotic. There's also a whole range of emotions present, but there's no time to really feel it as the next line presents a totally new idea.

It just leaves a feeling of wanting more.

Kaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 18:10   Link #11626
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Kagerou
The series premiere of Fon Filia 4koma, right here, right now!

Spoiler for Number 1:
Old 2008-12-26, 18:17   Link #11627
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagerou View Post

Spoiler for Number 1:
Very cute artwork (and funny gags for the sign in the first panel and your appearance in the last), but it has a strong feel of there being an in-joke I'm not getting...well, actually, a series of in-jokes I'm not getting (such as, what the heck does "fon filia" mean, given that it's a tag for this board...or who everybody is?).
Old 2008-12-26, 18:22   Link #11628
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

Ah, no in jokes, really...
As for Fon Filia... Fon/Fan Filia/Fiction, get it?

Also, from left to right, before I show up:
Satashi, Saharet, Keroko, Tempest, TSS

EDIT: To clarify:

Spoiler for Cast List for Fon Filia 4koma:

Last edited by Kagerou; 2008-12-26 at 18:47.
Kagerou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 18:51   Link #11629
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

They could be considered in-jokes to those that do not visit the IRC chat often...

And yes, that's me wearing green.
Old 2008-12-26, 19:29   Link #11630
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Okay, gotta see if I can get this link-to-single-post thing to work, b/c I've gotten too many chapters in now to trust that everybody remembers them all.

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Spoiler for Stahlkonigin--Chapter 4:

Bardiche got a lot of lines in that chapter...Hopefully I didn't botch any of Fate's attacks.

Oh, and while I don't come out and say it (both because I don't want to say it outright here, and because both Sebring and Hayate already know perfectly well what it is), I think that it should be comprehensible what Heimdall actually is from Hayate's comments (personally, I think the fujoshi line all but gives it away) as well as from the name, Heimdall, itself. Am I right?
Old 2008-12-27, 01:18   Link #11631
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Spoiler for Stahlkonigin--Chapter 4:
Nice to see a new chapter. Here's a few things.

Quote:
So, do I focus on him as the main threat, or try to take Flex out because he's weaker?
Why not both at once? She can fire multiple powerful attacks simultaneously after all.

Quote:
revised budgetary estimated
"Estimates" is the word you're looking for.

Quote:
"The permanent assignment of a squadron of Naval vessels to CCDF's overall command?"
About time someone brought that up. It's only been what... 10 years since the JS incident? It was rather irritating that there seemed to be no Home Fleet guarding Mid from such things.

Other than that, solid work, keep it up.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-27, 01:31   Link #11632
Laith
Even if it just for a bit
*Author

Quote:
Wait... A 4koma where i can laugh without having to suffer with them nor suffer because of them, i am not in it and i dont have to write it... d00d awesome.

Also i am catching up to my life (meaning playing videogames, watching all the videos i wanted to and most important of all sleeping) so i havent wrote something for a while, my apologies for that. (which is why i havent been in IRC too~)
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-27, 02:05   Link #11633
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

Not quite Nanoha-related unless you look at only about 5 things in it. This is mostly Touhou-related. Enjoy...

Spoiler for Cirno's Last Fight:
Old 2008-12-27, 21:02   Link #11634
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500
Exclamation Song ATM: Sakura, Sakura ~ Japanize Dream

Quote:
Not quite Nanoha-related unless you look at only about 5 things in it. This is mostly Touhou-related. Enjoy...

What have you done to Cirno??? you.... you.........

*summons all of Gundam Meisters and proceeds to slice and dice Kagerou*

Seriously, this is awesome, considering the amount of Nanoverse techs you featured here. Though I'm just bothered: where did Sakuya get the knowledge to give Marisa those cards?

Now this just made me want to finish off my Touhou/OCC fic ASAP.

Spoiler for related to story?:
USB500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-27, 22:31   Link #11635
Polyisobutene
Critic

Hello! I am polyisobutene, and I am what I like to call, "a real reviewer". After seeing many a fanfiction get nothing but "Good job, Up-date!" I decided to give the authors something that they could actually grow and expand from. To have found such a large anime community with smaller known animes like Nanoha in it, is great. AnimeSuki also looks like it has a good number of fanfiction writers that don't post on some of the bigger fanfiction websites, so it is great to be able to read new authors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
Message to PolyisoButene whoever you are/it:

Well if you are turned off by my "hard to read fic", then don't.

no one has perfect mastery of the English language- maybe you do so write your own.

it's about how the story flows, not how it's arranged in the laws of english.
I did not mean to insult your fanfiction. If that is the idea you got from my review, then I must apologize. I was not asking for you to have 'perfect mastery' of the English language. All I did was comment that some of the format choices you made created a somewhat difficult read to story.

I hope you can see that being able to command the language does help with the flow of a fanfiction or any other writing. Also, the laws of english do apply to all writing, as it is the road signs for the readers' eyes to follow. For example, like in the review I sent you, commas are vital to a sentence and its flow.

It is your decision to take my advice or not. And here I was thinking I had missed your fiction and did a second review! Well, I hope you at least got something from it, because it took me quite a while to write. And this time, please, I worked really hard on it, don't delete it!. I am going to be honest. Yes it was slightly difficult to read and that is a turn off.
Polyisobutene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-27, 23:31   Link #11636
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyisobutene View Post
I did not mean to insult your fanfiction. If that is the idea you got from my review, then I must apologize. I was not asking for you to have 'perfect mastery' of the English language. All I did was comment that some of the format choices you made created a somewhat difficult read to story.
well from an author pov, you are "insulting" the writing style one has by outlining the faults one has with the english language.

what if the author's intent was deliberate?

sue me for being this picky/troll-ish but that was almost an insult in level.

Quote:
Okay, let us start with some formatting. This fiction is a lot of words, the word count is massive, yet you crammed it all into one chapter. encourages authors to break long stories into chapters, people can actually report abuse if the fanfiction is just too long to read in one sitting. This can easily be broken down, and made into a lighter and more enjoyable read.
I am sure FFN TOS does not include "too long stories" as abuse. It's meant for a deeper read and more on the imagination.

Well I emailed FFN Support about this matter and awaiting their reply.

Spoiler for Email Inquiry Content:

breaking it down does not have the same effect since i am typing "an episode's worth" of scenes.

and yes, some of the authors here would be insulted, and they have bigger word counts than me per chapter- much much bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyisobutene
Then you have the first thing the reader sees, the summary. To be honest, the summary did not catch my attention, typically I would have passed over it, but the word count intrigued me. You open not only with Alternate Universe (AU), but also with an Own Character (OC) and an alternate time line? That is a lot of going outside of the box, and a lot work for the author. You have to have in depth character development, as well a lot of plot development and ironing out. This takes away from the category, and leaves the reader at a loss. I am here to read Nanoha fanfiction, this is more like your own story that you wanted to post, but didn’t know where you should. I would suggest wordpress, it has a very friendly community.
any OC/AU thing is called FANFICTION it's fanfiction.net for crying out loud.

and besides it's the prologue.

Quote:
I hope you can see that being able to command the language does help with the flow of a fanfiction or any other writing. Also, the laws of english do apply to all writing, as it is the road signs for the readers' eyes to follow. For example, like in the review I sent you, commas are vital to a sentence and its flow.
I have been writing in that style since i started fanfiction and i feel comfortable with it.

changing one's writing style is like slapping an author's face.

Quote:
It is your decision to take my advice or not. And here I was thinking I had missed your fiction and did a second review! Well, I hope you at least got something from it, because it took me quite a while to write. And this time, please, I worked really hard on it, don't delete it!. I am going to be honest. Yes it was slightly difficult to read and that is a turn off.
well i may keep it but I read FFN TOS more and it can be like you said, an abuse.

Well some people say that reviews like that may force a person out of writing and become a troll.

please think of the budding writers.

=================

Quote:
Originally Posted by USB500 View Post
Spoiler for related to story?:
Damn you USB you just make me crack up with something!

Last edited by Saint X; 2008-12-27 at 23:58. Reason: accidental button press
Saint X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 00:36   Link #11637
Polyisobutene
Critic

Well that was unexpected....

Okay, let us start with this. Giving constructive criticism is not the same as trolling, I may point out things that I know are wrong, but I also add in ways you can improve upon them (thanks for leaving that out of your selective quoting...).

I was not looking to create a argument between us, or create a conflict, I was just giving out some constructive criticism. When you capitalize words that shouldn't be (repeatedly), I will point it out, because that should be caught while editing.

FanFiction.Net does not filter content and is an open system that trusts the writer's judgment. However, there is an inherent responsibility that falls to writers as a result.

Here is a list of conducts that should always be observed:

1. Spell check all stories and poems. There is no excuse for not doing this. If you do not have a word processor that has the spell checking feature, use a search engine such as Google.Com to find one.

2. Proofread all entries for grammar and other aspects of writing before submission. 'Hot off the press' content is often riddled with errors. No one is perfect but it is the duty of the writer to perform to the best of his/her ability.

3. Respect the reviewers. Not all reviews will strictly praise the work. If someone rightfully criticizes a portion of the writing, take it as a compliment that the reviewer has opted to spend his/her valuable time to help improve your writing.

4. Everyone here is an aspiring writer. Respect your fellow members and lend a helping a hand when they need it. Like many things, the path to becoming a better writer is often a two way street.

5. Use proper textual formatting. For example: using only capital letters in the story title, summary, or content is not only incorrect but also a disregard for the language itself.

FanFiction.Net will take immediate action when the staff are alerted to them.

I don’t really want to have to quote this, I would hope that you know these very well already. I think that number three is pretty important, just because what I said wasn't a glowing review of your story, doesn't mean that it has no merit. How does it make you a better writer if no one tells you what can be improved upon?

Then in number five, my comment on comma usage comes in. Not using the comma's correctly makes it difficult to read, and is not respectful of the rules that apply to the language. Look I could go through this for all of my comments, but I should not have to justify myself.

Nothing I commented on was mentioned without a reason that could fall into these five categories. You clearly do not want any help from the reader, as you are so set in your writing style, so why post it for reviews if all you are going to do is delete them (like you did my first one).

To the all others in the Nanoha FanFiction Thread, I do hope that this little quarrel does not reflect poorly on myself, or on SaintX. I have reviewed a lot under several names, and sometimes people take it graciously and other times they do not take it at all. I stand by my ideals that fanfiction authors, especially the budding ones, can use the tips and advice to further their own writing. I know that I may not write fanfiction, but I am a student currently enrolled in an English lit. It doesn't matter what degree of experience the reviewer has, their opinions are important and should not be deleted by an author unless it is truly trolling.

I pointed out what I thought could be improved on, and gave what advice and tips I could. If you don't want to take them, that is fine. I would ask that you refrain from defacing my name on other forums. If I had not been alerted to this post I would not have known that it was here. As I said in my review, if you have questions/comments/concerns on what I wrote, please message me on fanfiction.net. I would be glad to discuss my review with you.

Polyisobutene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
well from an author pov, you are "insulting" the writing style one has by outlining the faults one has with the english language.

what if the author's intent was deliberate?

sue me for being this picky/troll-ish but that was almost an insult in level.

I am sure FFN TOS does not include "too long stories" as abuse. It's meant for a deeper read and more on the imagination.

Well I emailed FFN Support about this matter and awaiting their reply.

Spoiler for Email Inquiry Content:

breaking it down does not have the same effect since i am typing "an episode's worth" of scenes.

and yes, some of the authors here would be insulted, and they have bigger word counts than me per chapter- much much bigger.

any OC/AU thing is called FANFICTION it's fanfiction.net for crying out loud.

and besides it's the prologue.

I have been writing in that style since i started fanfiction and i feel comfortable with it.

changing one's writing style is like slapping an author's face.

well i may keep it but I read FFN TOS more and it can be like you said, an abuse.

Well some people say that reviews like that may force a person out of writing and become a troll.

please think of the budding writers.

=================

Damn you USB you just make me crack up with something!
Polyisobutene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 00:37   Link #11638
Seraph42
Too much Caffine

Quote:

Spoiler for Number 1:
Hahaha! lol

Quote:
Ah, no in jokes, really...
As for Fon Filia... Fon/Fan Filia/Fiction, get it?

Also, from left to right, before I show up:
Satashi, Saharet, Keroko, Tempest, TSS

EDIT: To clarify:

Double lol!

Wait a minute I've seen this artwork before.

Quote:

NNNOOOOOO!!! you killed 9 ball (or idiot)

*Its hard to do this on a cell phone*
Old 2008-12-28, 01:57   Link #11639
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Small update from me :3

School is out all this coming week, so I should be able to finish PornStar!Vivio shortly. After that, I plan on doing Vampire!Fate again for my shorts and then to finish Synergy and Dream Wing, as well as Redemption sometime. But Vampire!Fate is my top of list after PS!Vivio.

I'm looking forward to the reviews I get on PornStar!Vivio when I post the new beta'd and improved chapters on Fanfiction.net XD XD

Welcome to the thread, Polyisobutene
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 02:17   Link #11640
Seraph42
Too much Caffine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Small update from me :3

School is out all this coming week, so I should be able to finish PornStar!Vivio shortly. After that, I plan on doing Vampire!Fate again for my shorts and then to finish Synergy and Dream Wing, as well as Redemption sometime. But Vampire!Fate is my top of list after PS!Vivio.

I'm looking forward to the reviews I get on PornStar!Vivio when I post the new beta'd and improved chapters on Fanfiction.net XD XD

Welcome to the thread, Polyisobutene
Sweet finally back to V!F

I almost forgotten Dream Wing so Its good that you're still going to continue it

And (sorry markesellus) lets not Forget Redemption, you left that one on a cliff hanger for far too long

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha