AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-14, 20:30   Link #1
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

[Manga] Chapter 40 : The Western Sages

The Fullmetal Alchemist finally returns and kicks the upstart Flame Alchemist off his throne! A chapter of history, revelations and plans.

http://www.anime-source.com/banzai/m...owpage&pid=775

Note: I mistakenly uploaded an earlier draft but the differences are slight.
Old 2004-10-14, 21:17   Link #2
ChronoReverse

I swear, this chapter REALLY makes me believe that "The Father" is Hohemheim and that he's evil in this one....

Minor nitpick, page 15, "thrid" -> "third"

Last edited by ChronoReverse; 2004-10-14 at 22:01.
Old 2004-10-14, 21:48   Link #3
zefiris

Thanks Yebyosh!
Nice chapter. I am surprised to see that Hohemheim looks exactly like the one in anime, since I believe it is the first time we see his face in the manga in chap 40...
Old 2004-10-14, 22:29   Link #4
jubileerain
manga psycho ^_^

Send a message via AIM to jubileerain
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse
I swear, this chapter REALLY makes me believe that "The Father" is Hohemheim and that he's evil in this one....

Minor nitpick, page 15, "thrid" -> "third"
Thanks for Chapter 40!

Yeah, I have to admit. It looks really obvious. TOO obvious. There's gotta be more to it. & what kind of father wants to use his kids as human sacrifices?

I was thinking maybe Father was one of the western sages? It seems like he's been around forever!

I wonder how Hohenheim's going to explain himself? He left suddenly & then comes back in the same manner. What he said about not being liked by animals bugs me a little. Animals tend to have a sixth sense when it comes to certain things right? Like sensing spirits/ghosts. Maybe that's why he's looking for the philosopher's stone, because he's not completely human. & we finally get to see his face! The only indication of him aging is his glasses. He's been wandering around for a few years, he HAS to have heard about the famous Erlich brothers.
Old 2004-10-14, 22:34   Link #5
zarkand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse
I think that Hohemheim is Pride, created in the image of The Father. Even though you see The Father getting out of that chair, it seems it would be hard for the guy to have much of a life on the outside much less a love life (or at least be able to have two normal children even if he never loved Ed and Al's mother.) Try explaining those holes or whatever to who ever sees you without a shirt on. But, of course on the flip side, you also have Izumi saying she saw Hohemheim in Central and he said he was going to fulfill his life long dream (assuming evil genius translation is correct.). It seems to fit in with having gotten so many human sacrifice candidates.

To my own theories about that, is to make a perfect Philosopher’s Stone, or to open the gate to all the knowledge of alchemy. Of course, then again, his life long dream could be help the father complete his goals.
Old 2004-10-14, 23:19   Link #6
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarkand
I think that Hohemheim is Pride, created in the image of The Father. Even though you see The Father getting out of that chair, it seems it would be hard for the guy to have much of a life on the outside much less a love life (or at least be able to have two normal children even if he never loved Ed and Al's mother.) Try explaining those holes or whatever to who ever sees you without a shirt on. But, of course on the flip side, you also have Izumi saying she saw Hohemheim in Central and he said he was going to fulfill his life long dream (assuming evil genius translation is correct.). It seems to fit in with having gotten so many human sacrifice candidates.

To my own theories about that, is to make a perfect Philosopher’s Stone, or to open the gate to all the knowledge of alchemy. Of course, then again, his life long dream could be help the father complete his goals.
i agree to you to some parts.
but i dont think the "father" is pride. but i think "father" and Hohenheim is a different person.
Old 2004-10-15, 00:03   Link #7
zarkand

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOnJoOL
i agree to you to some parts.
but i dont think the "father" is pride. but i think "father" and Hohenheim is a different person.
That would be my point of saying Pride is Hohenheim who was created in the image (i.e he just looks like the father but is his own person.) It would also be why that Envy just about dropped a brick when Pride was talked to him. If Pride is Hohenheim, and Hohenheim is supposed to be a great alchemist, strong alchemy plus being a homunculus, would be trouble for anyone.

Another thought the came to me, if Hohenheim is on the homunculi' side in any fashion, he may not know that Edward is the Fullmetal Alchemist. I remember that when Wrath had brought greed back he just referred to Al as the Fullmetal alchemist's brother. When the father was talking to Wrath he referred to Roy as the Flame Alchemist. It was Wrath who referred to him by name. It would seem that the father refers to them by title than by name, which would seem that he knows them best as. This may mean he doesn't even know that the Fullmetal Alchemist is Edward Elric.

I don't think the other homunculi refer to Ed as anything other than Fullmetal. So if Hohenheim is Pride when he was out doing whatever he was doing he may have only have heard of just the Fullmetal Alchemist, not Edward Elric, the Full Metal Alchemist. Also he may have only been told about the Full Metal Alchemist by the father who would only refer to him as the Fullmetal Alchemist.
Old 2004-10-15, 02:39   Link #8
Fei-san
Monkeykyou Sharingan

Who knows, maybe father is just a different personality of Hohenheim, i know stupid idea
Old 2004-10-15, 08:51   Link #9
annechan

Send a message via MSN to annechan
Quote:
Another thought the came to me, if Hohenheim is on the homunculi' side in any fashion, he may not know that Edward is the Fullmetal Alchemist
I think they all know who Edward is and the fact he's related to Hohenheim.

I think in the first volume, Lust and Envy had a conversation about how they should not hurt him because he would be useful later, and they called him the son of that guy
Old 2004-10-15, 10:27   Link #10
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

the Hohenheim return home scene is actually quite similar to that in the anime, and OP4 of the anime, interesting
Old 2004-10-15, 11:29   Link #11
BigFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubileerain
Thanks for Chapter 40!

Yeah, I have to admit. It looks really obvious. TOO obvious. There's gotta be more to it. & what kind of father wants to use his kids as human sacrifices?

I was thinking maybe Father was one of the western sages? It seems like he's been around forever!

I wonder how Hohenheim's going to explain himself? He left suddenly & then comes back in the same manner. What he said about not being liked by animals bugs me a little. Animals tend to have a sixth sense when it comes to certain things right? Like sensing spirits/ghosts. Maybe that's why he's looking for the philosopher's stone, because he's not completely human. & we finally get to see his face! The only indication of him aging is his glasses. He's been wandering around for a few years, he HAS to have heard about the famous Erlich brothers.
He also haven't aged according to the picture of young Pinako and him. I have a feeling that we're getting a bit of misdirection by the author. Earlier in the chapter, Father detached himself from the throne so he could walk around. At the end of the chapter we see Hohenheim. (Of course, during the Rush Valley chapters, Izumi did mentioned meeting an impressive alchemist Hohenheim in Central.

Last edited by BigFire; 2004-10-15 at 12:08.
Old 2004-10-15, 11:44   Link #12
rorosama

Well i'm not so pissed now that maria's not dead, i'm not so pissed and deadset on someone killing roy.
Old 2004-10-15, 12:16   Link #13
Rattus
Nibbling on the drywall

What's the inscrption on the wall that catches Eds interest? Have we seen it before? (wasn't it on the large stone door in the 5th laborotory?)
Old 2004-10-15, 14:37   Link #14
aFlipGuy
Master

Send a message via AIM to aFlipGuy
i was hoping armstrong was going to lead al to maria but lost hope when they started talking about the freakin western sages @____@ and bam! theres maria....what a relief

the whole hohenhiem thing....still very confusing, we should wait before leading to conclusion, but predicting shouldnt hurt anybody rite? ^____^ i just hope hes a good guy like in the anime...but i dunno how they'll pull that off unless he's 'the father' is there no dante in the manga?

maybe dante in the anime is the father in the manga......she probably wanted to try a different body ^____^

there was 2 western sages rite?

one could have been hohenhiem and the other dante (the father) ^____^ aite sounds too rediculous ^___^"
Old 2004-10-15, 21:45   Link #15
Ed Elric

Dante hasn't been mentioned in the manga at all...and I certainly hope she doens't make an appearence -_- I absoultly hated her soooooooooooo much.
Old 2004-10-16, 00:27   Link #16
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

actually I think the Western Sages are the alchemists from Xerxes who went to Xing, while those alchemists from Xerxes who went to Amestris are called the Eastern Sages...
Old 2004-10-16, 15:57   Link #17
Arcion
(Anime Indepth)

Send a message via MSN to Arcion
I stongly believe the the Hohenheim is the Father. First off, soon after the Father leaves his chair Hohenheim appears in Reesmbol and secondly look at the similarity is appearence:

Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-16, 20:53   Link #18
aFlipGuy
Master

Send a message via AIM to aFlipGuy
look at the nose and where's the line of hair in his face ^______^ they look too similar in my opinion also but maybe the diff in their nose makes them 2 individual character in FMA ^_____^

i just dont like the idea that the elric bro's father is the main villian....hohenhiem needs to be cool and be on the good side ^____^

maybe he had a twin who used the PS along w/ him
Old 2004-10-17, 16:52   Link #19
jubileerain
manga psycho ^_^

Send a message via AIM to jubileerain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcion
I stongly believe the the Hohenheim is the Father. First off, soon after the Father leaves his chair Hohenheim appears in Reesmbol and secondly look at the similarity is appearence:
That's y I said it was TOO obvious. I think Arakawa Hiromu is messing with our heads since it's what happened in the anime.

& it seems the homunculii can't do alchemy. Lust, Envy, Wrath, Greed & Gluttony haven't showed any signs of using it. So I don't think Hohenheim could be a homunculii since he is a good alchemist. I don't think he's completely human either tho.
Closed Thread