AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-05-03, 00:43   Link #2541
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Interesting:

Yet the picture clearly shows the motorbike half buried in the sand, not in a large white container.

Endless "Confused" Soul
Maybe the container was nearby, and the bike fell out when it came ashore. Again, if you live near the Pacific Northwest coast, keep your eyes open when you go to the beach over the next couple years.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 15:48   Link #2542
Random32
Also a Lolicon

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/T120513002371.htm

It seems like a few reactors are finally going to start up again. Hopefully in time for summer.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-08, 13:59   Link #2543
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

The biggest piece of debris seen yet, a floating concrete dock, washed up in Oregon.

It's not radioactive (it came from up in Aomori Prefecture), but marine biologists are worried about some of the barnacles and other non-native sea life clinging to it, and how it may affect the West Coast marine environment. For instance, one of the crabs has caused some trouble on the East Coast.
Old 2012-06-08, 15:46   Link #2544
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
The biggest piece of debris seen yet, a floating concrete dock, washed up in Oregon.

It's not radioactive (it came from up in Aomori Prefecture), but marine biologists are worried about some of the barnacles and other non-native sea life clinging to it, and how it may affect the West Coast marine environment. For instance, one of the crabs has caused some trouble on the East Coast.
They are currently estimating it has over one hundred tons of alien marine life on it.... so yeah - its a biological bomb in some ways

We'll probably be seeing stuff like this over the next couple of decades and it will quite likely foment significant changes in the Western US ecology. Good or bad, it'll be different.
Old 2012-07-11, 10:10   Link #2545
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I just caught the shorter, Japanese version of this documentary tonight at the Japan Creative Centre and thought of sharing it here:

Put Your Hearts Together

TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 08:33   Link #2546
Solafighter
Hige

I thought i just leave this here.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-10-22, 16:58   Link #2547
Zetsubo
著述遮断

If my kanji level wasn't that of a 3 year old... i'd be happy ... but gosh darn it I'm illiterate !!!
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 00:36   Link #2548
Mithfalath
Elegiac Servant

Send a message via Yahoo to Mithfalath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
I thought i just leave this here.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Do you plan on writing here the key takeaways of the article in English format for us non-Japanese-readers-but-are-interested-in-the-developments-of-the-disaster folks?
Old 2012-10-23, 01:14   Link #2549
Kyuu
=^^=

Why is this still a topic? Isn't everything cleaned up by now?
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 01:30   Link #2550
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Short answer? Nope, not by a long shot. Entire towns are still a mess and there's decisions to make on whether to rebuild, how much. Many people are still living in shelters. There's Very Large Pieces of Debris making landfall on the US West Coast. The nuclear power plants will be a mess for many years and they may *need* to turn some back on for a while. The food resources in the affected regions have radiation and farmland destruction issues.

yeah... still lots to do. My older son played in a soccer tournament in my city to raise funds for the relief effort just last night. (he's 27 years old for the morbidly curious)

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-10-23 at 10:29.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 08:54   Link #2551
Mithfalath
Elegiac Servant

Send a message via Yahoo to Mithfalath
Quote:
Definitely not.
Old 2012-10-24, 17:25   Link #2552
velderia
Former NEET.

Thoughts on Unit 4? I'm hearing mixed stories: http://www.opednews.com/articles/Nuc...21022-931.html
velderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 17:29   Link #2553
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by velderia View Post
Thoughts on Unit 4? I'm hearing mixed stories: http://www.opednews.com/articles/Nuc...21022-931.html
Who knows, though I'd take an obviously biased article from an obviously biased source with a grain of salt.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 03:24   Link #2554
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Cleaning up still leaves entire patches of empty land where towns used to be. Most people who aren't dead don't want to return, and people who stay can't survive without the rest of the non-existent town.

It's like how Hurricane Katrina still left a mark with entire parts of New Orleans with no one living there.
Old 2012-10-25, 08:18   Link #2555
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by velderia View Post
The article itself is mixed. The author really scores about minus 50 points on clarity and focus with paragraphs simply jumping all over space-time and connecting dots that don't connect.

The condensed version:
Quote:
Fukushima=boo-scary, mixing history and present to the degree the reader may have trouble telling what is happening now versus the past. In conclusion, other reactors erroneously compared with Fukushima reactor all over US.
Old 2012-10-25, 22:47   Link #2556
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
What the other people said below. Plus, y'know, this is obviously the country that provides the media we're all here for. This was their Katrina; a wound that will take quite some time to heal. Wanting to pump some tourist dollars back into their economy was the reason I'm going to Japan...tomorrow, actually. I leaving first thing tomorrow morning, and if all goes well, I should be there around 2:30 PM local time.

And as Americans (according to your coordinates, you're in Massachusetts, amirite? I used to live in Ashland when I was little.) Japan's experience may offer us a chilling image of what might be in store for the Pacific Northwest, since the same type of fault (subduction) lies offshore, and some there's archaeological evidence of a very large quake in that area in 1700, which caused a tsunami in Japan (the only way we know the date, since there were no exact chronological records in the area at that time).

That said, we certainly shouldn't treat an equally horrible disaster elsewhere besides America or Japan with any less empathy. It's a shame, for instance, that you don't hear much mention of the quake in Haiti which killed about 10 times as many as the Tohoku quake.

In conclusion, just keep your hearts open and stand on guard for whatever may come.
Old 2012-10-25, 23:01   Link #2557
velderia
Former NEET.

It's not really just one article though, and the main point was that the Unit 4 building, according to an ambassador, did sink. Even if they are finding a way to prevent it from tilting over, it still scares me.

That, and there are dead bodies in the exclusion zone that haven't been identified or recovered. I just saw a doc about it on Vice. I'm not going to post the video here though because it was that disturbing to me at least.

Maybe I just need to take it easy and calm down. Sometimes I just go through these phases where I can't help but find stuff on what's happening around the world, and sometimes I go way too deep into it. Just the fact that TEPCO admitted this thing could of been prevented pains me so much in my heart and makes me wonder what could happen in the USA when corporations don't own up to their responsibilities - which seems to happen a lot. It's not just an earthquake that killed people. This is an environmental disaster, a historic disaster, and just an overall tragedy.

I think I'll go make some vegan hot cocoa now...
velderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 23:08   Link #2558
kyp275
Meh

Oh, I def. agree with your sentiment, TEPCO was criminally negligent IMO. That said, I despise those that would use these kind of tragedies as political fodders for their own agenda.

And yea, there's really nothing you can do other than to take these things in stride, there are too many people in the world and too many tragedies that's happening every minute for anyone to even begin to care about.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 00:06   Link #2559
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Were they suppose to be commissioning Reactor Five and Six this year to replace Reactor One and Two before the earthquake happened?
Old 2012-10-27, 18:49   Link #2560
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
2 days ago:
Fukushima fish still contaminated from nuclear accident

Levels of radioactive contamination in fish caught off the east coast of Japan remain raised, official data shows
It is a sign that the Dai-ichi power plant continues to be a source of pollution more than a year after the nuclear accident.
About 40% of fish caught close to Fukushima itself are regarded as unfit for humans under Japanese regulations

Click to read more

Not to mention the odd thousands of people from near Fukushima area who are still living in evacuation camps, a year and a half later cause they can't return to their homes given the poison.
Some have given up and have returned regardless of whether they're being poisoned or not just to get a chance to resume 'normal' life for their kids and family, in some sad sense, I can't blame them.

Towns wiped out by the tsunami have been slowly rebuilding and so on, I guess in a sense, those affected by the radiation are suffering more than those directly affected by the tsunami...

Sad days but there's mass levels of misfortune everywhere in the world, in this case, no, it's far from over. A level 9.0 doesn't come around so often in human history you know...

PS: velderia, you can post what you like within Asuki limits, just stick the video in a spoiler and add a sensitivity warning to give us the choice to look or not. I'm kinda curious myself...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami