AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 228 77.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 13.31%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 5.80%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.02%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.37%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.68%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-07, 23:43   Link #261
Pakxenon
popcorn

As I've said/predicted, Nagato is more powerful than Ryouko - she's got more mad skillz than her, and her emotionless states show it.

That or Ryouko was programmed by Nagato, either by actually creating her (not likely - she wouldn't program faults/radical thoughts into a back-up) or limiting her abilities.

I think it's both - Nagato is both higher in rank and has more power to even as far to limiting her back-up's capabilities.

But then there's that thought - why didn't Ryouko just kill him with a gun? If she can materialize a weapon such as a knife, why not a gun? (It wouldn't make sense if she can't - it's still a weapon, and in certain situations, if she finds herself in danger and a gun is the best way out, she should have the ability to materialize one).

I want more Yuki-goodness.
Old 2006-06-08, 00:03   Link #262
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakxenon
As I've said/predicted, Nagato is more powerful than Ryouko - she's got more mad skillz than her, and her emotionless states show it.

That or Ryouko was programmed by Nagato, either by actually creating her (not likely - she wouldn't program faults/radical thoughts into a back-up) or limiting her abilities.

I think it's both - Nagato is both higher in rank and has more power to even as far to limiting her back-up's capabilities.

But then there's that thought - why didn't Ryouko just kill him with a gun? If she can materialize a weapon such as a knife, why not a gun? (It wouldn't make sense if she can't - it's still a weapon, and in certain situations, if she finds herself in danger and a gun is the best way out, she should have the ability to materialize one).

Heres why they can't create a gun:

While Data Entities have the ability to create anything, they must have the knowledge, the data needed to know how to do it. They may be quite omnipotent but they do not have knowledge of everything.

Like in episode 5, Yuki was very interested in Kyon and Mikuru's game. Its written very well in the novel and in the anime that she never seen such a thing, such a game. Especially in the novel, Yuki was surprised to find that the chess pieces are magnetic. She just learnt something new, she acquired new data. The data Humans create interest the Data Entities too, since its alien data to them.

To create a gun, Ryoko would first have to acquire the data on how to create one. No 'normal schoolgirl' would be able to find a gun anywhere on the street in Japan, for that she probably have no chances to know how to make a gun.

Even the knife she's using, I suspect is bought from some shop.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-06-08, 00:08   Link #263
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakxenon

I'd have to say because Ryoko is strong enough to overpower Kyon. She's shown her speed and if she's anything like Yuki, she could probably lob Kyon out the window without breaking a sweat.

That said, handguns are notoriously unreliable against moving targets, especially for targets with lateral movement. With Asakura's speed, she could easily adjust for any variation of movement from Kyon (although it seemed like she had some hesitation in killing him) and wound him.

Logically speaking, guns are much more lethal than a knife but a bullet is much smaller than the blade of a knife which affects accuracy. Thus to maximize lethality according to her strengths, a knife would be optimal.

Of course it's just a guess into the mind of a character who has been executed by Yuki so we'll never know for sure
Old 2006-06-08, 01:08   Link #264
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Also.... guns are hard to come by in Japan, whereas knives are common. <shrug> it was Asakura's "gamebox" ... as we saw, virtually anything could be transmogrified and it actually took her a remarkably long time to realize she could just render the air around Kyon static to hold him still (or whatever she did).
Old 2006-06-08, 01:39   Link #265
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I doubt it is difficult for Asakura or Nagato to duplicate a firearm.

A reason not to do it might simply be a matter of habit. The steps involved for them to resort to something that is not a second-nature to them would be rather bothersome in a situation that require quick thinking and utter concentration.

The point made on the issue with firearm against moving target is valid, although it has been demonstrated that Yuki can easily compensate for the deficiencies of the firearm with superior gunnery. To Data Entities projectile weapons would be a flawed and perhaps crude way to go about at the task of elimination when all that matters is to sever data link of the victim.

The Data Entity has in their arsenal to transmutate all matter (perhaps even a perfect conversion from energy to matter albeit... at great cost if it were to be done). I am not sure if matter is relavent to them in any significent way, although it might be for the observation interfaces due to their existence as emulator...

The question of why Asakura chose a knife is somehow puzzling when just about anything is usable for her to kill Kyon. Bayonet is favored in close combat situation before the advent of Submachineguns (and even then a combat knife is still a standard issue gear) but the fight scene demonstrates that Asakura herself is more than sufficient as a weapon to kill Kyon...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-06-08, 02:13   Link #266
Zhaxra

This was an awesome episode, as has been stated numerous times. That alone would've scored a '9' on the scale. What tipped the episode to a '10' for me, was not the wonderful animation, the bountiful Mikuru, or the superlative Yuki, however it was the lack of an intro to the episode.

I always understood the commerical reason for an intro in anime, after all, what production company wouldn't mind making some extra money from a catchy song. Some of those songs I really do enjoy, however, I always feel a little cheated when an intro is used. While the cute song and flashy visuals go by, there was also 1:20min of story potential wasted. So this episode was extremely refreshing in that regard and made me give it that extra point.

So far this has been one of my favorite series so far this season. Here's hoping it gets even better!
Old 2006-06-08, 03:34   Link #267
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

So...

Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-08, 04:38   Link #268
yura`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaxra
This was an awesome episode, as has been stated numerous times. That alone would've scored a '9' on the scale. What tipped the episode to a '10' for me, was not the wonderful animation, the bountiful Mikuru, or the superlative Yuki, however it was the lack of an intro to the episode.

I always understood the commerical reason for an intro in anime, after all, what production company wouldn't mind making some extra money from a catchy song. Some of those songs I really do enjoy, however, I always feel a little cheated when an intro is used. While the cute song and flashy visuals go by, there was also 1:20min of story potential wasted. So this episode was extremely refreshing in that regard and made me give it that extra point.

So far this has been one of my favorite series so far this season. Here's hoping it gets even better!

I agree on the "lack of intro" to the episode... I thought it was well executed, as well as giving KyoAni more time to fit in more material into the episode as a result.

The pace of this episode was definitely fast-moving, especially after the calm and tranquillity of last week's episode (that said, I enjoyed last week's episode very much as well). I had to watch this episode twice to absorb the story!

I won't elaborate too deeply on the details - I think others have 'analysed' this episode enough before me! Lol. I DO want to say how impressed I am by Kyon's VA, though! Each episode, the narration and expressions from Kyon is definitely top-notch. For this episode, it would definitely be the 'panic' moment before Asakura and Kyon enters her warped reality as Kyon's mind tried to grasp the reason for Asakura's behaviour - I liked how Kyon exclaimed (in his mind), "Why?" in English. Lol.

Another favourite scene: When Kyon's friend suddenly walks in on Yuki and Kyon, and you have the classic 'freeze' scene, as if all time has stopped. Hehe.

I think a few people have pointed this out as well, but I thought the subtle back-'story' of the couple in the background was interesting, too Is this something added by KyoAni? I don't remember it being in the novel.

Overall, a great episode!
Old 2006-06-08, 08:12   Link #269
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

I take back what I said.

I don't want to give this episode a 10.

I want to give it a 20. But in the end, the highest option was 10, so what the hell.

The Yuki v Ryoko battle scene was the deciding factor in me giving this a perfect ten. When Yuki went out to save Kyon, this was where I began to seriously become fond of her character. And lately, even the author Tanigawa has shown some bias on Yuki over the other girls when interpreted from a Yuki fan's POV.

I was glad KyoAni remembered to include the scene where Kyon secretly keeps Mikuru's photo album in his secret folder (with password protection).

Most people here have said what I wanted to say about this episode, generally positive, that is, so I'll not repeat them here.
Old 2006-06-08, 08:57   Link #270
velocity7

Why have Ryoko and Yuki make guns when the spears are a lot faster to make, more powerful, and have a wider area effect?

Other than silent assassination of course, but why need that when you can trap the guys in a closed space?
Old 2006-06-08, 09:05   Link #271
PastPrime

This was one of the episodes that I have been waiting for. It definitely lived up to my hopes.
Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-08, 09:44   Link #272
DannyCat
Currently Observing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yura`
Another favourite scene: When Kyon's friend suddenly walks in on Yuki and Kyon, and you have the classic 'freeze' scene, as if all time has stopped. Hehe.
He almost did the WRYYYYYY pose, too.
Old 2006-06-08, 09:50   Link #273
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

^ I though Yuki was pretty hot in that scene
Old 2006-06-08, 09:58   Link #274
Liquidzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
I take back what I said.
I was glad KyoAni remembered to include the scene where Kyon secretly keeps Mikuru's photo album in his secret folder (with password protection).
Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-08, 10:59   Link #275
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
^ I though Yuki was pretty hot in that scene
yeah... I'd say this ep leveled the "playing field" between Yuki, Haruhi, and Mikuru. No doormat status for Yuki.... who is much cuter without her glasses.

I wonder if she researched the term "glasses man" when she got back
Old 2006-06-08, 11:17   Link #276
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
yeah... I'd say this ep leveled the "playing field" between Yuki, Haruhi, and Mikuru. No doormat status for Yuki.... who is much cuter without her glasses.

Does that mean Yuki is going to finally tip the scales in her favour next episode, then?

After all, DoS is all about Yuki.
Old 2006-06-08, 11:21   Link #277
PastPrime

I have to say that equally amazing as the fight was the fact that two girls in short skirts could fight like that and not once show their panties. In most anime that would be a major part of the battle.
Old 2006-06-08, 11:22   Link #278
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Nah, Mikuru is a moe-kami, she rules
Old 2006-06-08, 13:51   Link #279
SasuraiHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx

of course she did, hence no reconstruction of her glasses when she got back XD., right now Yuki is the essence of ownage, and kawaiiness!.,

Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-08, 13:54   Link #280
martino
makes no files now

I don't think that anything bad will happen, because Mikuru came from the future, therefore everything went allright => my theory