AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-01, 10:14   Link #81
kyouray
2D > 3D

Boxart is normal (but Sorceress's set in back!). Artbook's cover is great and I hope it'll be offered here.
Old 2013-05-01, 10:42   Link #82
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
Very good, blocks out all of the exageration pretty well. Amazon's legs are hidden, Sorc is turned so you can't see the gigantas and the knight guy's lower body isn't shown.
Old 2013-05-01, 10:57   Link #83
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

^ they're trying SO hard to hide that boobs and a$$, i see.
well, at least the knight, dwarf and elf can show their manliness in the cover. did
i just included the elf in the manliness? oops. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
Boxart is normal (but Sorceress's set in back!). Artbook's cover is great and I hope it'll be offered here.
NA will probably be screw over artbook anyways, but i dont really care much of it.
i'm not as collective as i was before since my room is getting too cramp to
even have an artbook put in.
i regret buying the collector edition of Hyperdimension V. that lunch box was SO
big, i dont have space for anything else anymore. stupid lunch box of DOOM.

and i pre-ordered mine @ amazon. so i probably not going to get the artbooks and stuff. oh well,
just having the game to play is more than enough for me. bring on the ELF & Amazon's butt!

EDIT: i completely forgot about the wizard dood. his presence is so HUGE, i cant see a thing! ^^;

Last edited by Xefi; 2013-05-01 at 13:42.
Xefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-01, 16:01   Link #84
kyouray
2D > 3D

Gearbox Artist trashes Dragon’s Crown art style. So much polemic because of two mountains. I'm starting to believe in synaesthetic's streisand effect theory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
NA will probably be screw over artbook anyways, but i dont really care much of it.
i'm not as collective as i was before since my room is getting too cramp to
even have an artbook put in.
i regret buying the collector edition of Hyperdimension V. that lunch box was SO
big, i dont have space for anything else anymore. stupid lunch box of DOOM.

and i pre-ordered mine @ amazon. so i probably not going to get the artbooks and stuff. oh well,
just having the game to play is more than enough for me. bring on the ELF & Amazon's butt!
I know what you mean. I don't know where to put my new items
However I mostly want this artbook for the gorgeous pictures since I love the art, not much for the collective aspect though it will probably be scanned I think.

Last edited by kyouray; 2013-05-01 at 16:42.
kyouray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-01, 18:34   Link #85
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
Gearbox Artist trashes Dragon’s Crown art style. So much polemic because of two mountains. I'm starting to believe in synaesthetic's streisand effect theory.
It's amazing that the Gearbox comment is even more immature than the kotaku one. They should probably look at their own female designs for Duke Nukem Forever and Borderlands. Not to mention that whole controversy regarding 'girlfriend-mode' regarding BL2.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-01, 19:28   Link #86
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
I wouldn't count out Atlus USA yet. They're pretty damn good when it comes with physical. They might include as a Gamestop preorder exclusive or pack it in as an LE along with the game's soundtrack.
Old 2013-05-01, 21:47   Link #87
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Wow that's pretty pathetic, anyone who calls someone gay for not liking sex appeal of a female character needs to be shot in the foot.
Old 2013-05-02, 02:59   Link #88
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Wow that's pretty pathetic, anyone who calls someone gay for not liking sex appeal of a female character needs to be shot in the foot.
Except he didn't, but that didn't stop that sad excuse of a game journalist from framing it that way, who btw started the whole mess out of nowhere by going "lololol boobs u must be 14 yr old lololol"

And really, if that warrants someone being shot, then I say bandwagon whiteknights also deserves to be shot
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 06:01   Link #89
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I rate those that are upset at sex appeal as high as those that know nothing but sex appeal. Both are equally bad since the only thing they see is sex appeal.
Old 2013-05-02, 07:01   Link #90
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Except he didn't, but that didn't stop that sad excuse of a game journalist from framing it that way, who btw started the whole mess out of nowhere by going "lololol boobs u must be 14 yr old lololol"

And really, if that warrants someone being shot, then I say bandwagon whiteknights also deserves to be shot
Aaah okay, then HE needs to be shot in the foot! XD
Old 2013-05-02, 08:37   Link #91
defki

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Wizard time.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 00:34   Link #92
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Immaturity abounds, apparently.

Making a character with Gag Boobs larger than her head that bounce and roll and jiggle at the slightest motion is immature. And also stupid, unappealing and borderline vomit-inducing.

Mocking that character purely for pagehits and ad revenue is also immature.

Responding with a "lol u no liek tits ur a fag" is immature.

Defending the original immaturity without any ground to stand on is immature.

Honestly I'm not offended by Vanillaware's art. I'm disgusted by it. It looks hideous. It looks like it was all done by a mentally deranged teenage boy who has never seen a real woman naked in photos, much less in person. It's not just sexual objectification, it's objectification taken so far up to eleven that it wraps around into self-parody. It's so "sexy" that it stops being sexy and becomes grotesque, repulsive and ugly. It's so over-the-top I can't even begin to try and ignore it, which means the game is an automatic no-sell. I managed to play Bayonetta, for fuck's sake, and it's already edging into the "so sexualized it's not sexy" territory, but I can't play this game.

From a business perspective, though, it was a pretty smart move. Fanning the flames of the controversy was even smarter. Now the game has infamy. Any publicity is good publicity if you've got a good marketing team.

They'll probably make even more money off this now than they ever would have if Kotaku guy and Gearbox guy hadn't started this shitstorm. Nice job breaking it, hero!
Old 2013-05-03, 01:15   Link #93
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post

Making a character with Gag Boobs larger than her head that bounce and roll and jiggle at the slightest motion is immature. And also stupid, unappealing and borderline vomit-inducing.

I'll stay being immature if that's the case cause your definition of maturity stinks of homogenization and sounds like the death of any creative industry. I feel bad for Kamitani because instead of discussing about his art, people are resorting to name calling and among all the other excellent design he did over the years, it's the big boobs that gets the attention of all these so-called matured "critics".
Old 2013-05-03, 02:28   Link #94
Shadow5YA

Quote:

Mocking that character purely for pagehits and ad revenue is also immature.

Responding with a "lol u no liek tits ur a fag" is immature.

Honestly I'm not offended by Vanillaware's art. I'm disgusted by it. It looks hideous. It looks like it was all done by a mentally deranged teenage boy who has never seen a real woman naked in photos, much less in person. It's not just sexual objectification, it's objectification taken so far up to eleven that it wraps around into self-parody. It's so "sexy" that it stops being sexy and becomes grotesque, repulsive and ugly. It's so over-the-top I can't even begin to try and ignore it, which means the game is an automatic no-sell. I managed to play Bayonetta, for fuck's sake, and it's already edging into the "so sexualized it's not sexy" territory, but I can't play this game.

From a business perspective, though, it was a pretty smart move. Fanning the flames of the controversy was even smarter. Now the game has infamy. Any publicity is good publicity if you've got a good marketing team.

They'll probably make even more money off this now than they ever would have if Kotaku guy and Gearbox guy hadn't started this shitstorm. Nice job breaking it, hero!
Real?

We've got magic, mythical creatures, and out of all that, a fictional female character is what grabs your attention as unrealistic?

Jesus, people can have double standards for everything just to make an argument, can't they?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 02:43   Link #95
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
I'll stay being immature if that's the case cause your definition of maturity stinks of homogenization and sounds like the death of any creative industry. I feel bad for Kamitani because instead of discussing about his art, people are resorting to name calling and among all the other excellent design he did over the years, it's the big boobs that gets the attention of all these so-called matured "critics".
dafuq did I just read

the stupid, it burns

Also I might add, I find it hilarious that I am only allowed to have an opinion if it is the same opinion as the fanbois. I'm sorry, but that is hypocrisy in the extreme.
Old 2013-05-03, 03:40   Link #96
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Quote:
dafuq did I just read

the stupid, it burns

Also I might add, I find it hilarious that I am only allowed to have an opinion if it is the same opinion as the fanbois. I'm sorry, but that is hypocrisy in the extreme.
No it's not that anyone said that you aren't allowed to have an opinion. We just noticed people like yourselves kind of say way too much sort of implying that anyone who likes that design or ladies with boobs out of proportion are mentally deranged teenage boy or potential sex offender. It sounds almost like we should feel bad or ashamed for liking it. It's internet so it's no big deal but sometimes I don't know... people just says anything without thinking like that environmental artist from Gearbox Software. Having opinions are good but saying those jabs just because you can are also immature.
Old 2013-05-03, 03:59   Link #97
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Stop playing the victim card. It doesn't work.

There's nothing wrong with disliking the art style. It's not for everyone, nor does it have to be.

What is wrong however is when you state your opinion as if it's a fact, like as if the artist is intentionally degrading women for the sole purpose of social propaganda.
Yet, somehow you and many others are perfectly fine with the Warrior's disproportionate stick of a lower body. I don't see any complaints about him looking like a steroid abusing bodybuilder, giving people the wrong idea about men. Gee I wonder why?
You are right: there is definitely some hypocrisy somewhere.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 06:07   Link #98
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Don't be disingenuous. If you had read my other posts on the subject, you would know that I take objection to ALL of the art. The sorceress is just the worst of the bunch, with the amazon coming in at a close second.

The wizard is the only one who looks even remotely close to appealing on a design level.

Additionally, nowhere once did I say that this was a "conspiracy of the patriarchy." I do not believe that the artist is trying to do anything but make money.

That said, the art is still hilariously grotesque and repulsive, and even if it's unintentional, it still perpetuates offensive double standards.

It's okay to sexually objectify a woman and turn that up to eleven, but the man? Nope, can't objectify him at all. Instead, he gets to be a hulking wall of muscle and be an empowerment fantasy!

Seems a bit unfair. Where's the sexy bishonen mancandy for the ladies, hmm? Most girls don't find roided-out musclefreaks to be sexy, you know, nor do they find hilariously floppy Gag Boobs to be empowering.

And ya'll wonder why there aren't more female gamers... I swear, maybe this has something to do with it?
Old 2013-05-03, 09:35   Link #99
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
because labeling everyone who disagrees with you as "fanbois" isn't doing exactly the same thing you're accusing them of doing

Quote:
that's your prerogative, but your opinion =/= objective fact.

Quote:
double standard again, apparently only your subjective viewpoint is valid, while others are baseless.

Quote:
Honestly I'm not offended by Vanillaware's art. I'm disgusted by it. It looks hideous. It looks like it was all done by a mentally deranged teenage boy who has never seen a real woman naked in photos
"Hey, I'm not saying I agree with the hyperbolic vitriol by kotaku, I'm just saying the same hyperbolic vitriol as kotaku".

Quote:
The wizard is the only one who looks even remotely close to appealing on a design level.
The elf(and I) objects!

Quote:
That said, the art is still hilariously grotesque and repulsive, and even if it's unintentional, it still perpetuates offensive double standards.
I see no double standards, much less offensive ones. The hyper-stylized design was applied to both gender, human and nonhuman, organic and inorganic, even the title text was not spared. Also, the only two normal PC constitute both a male and a female, it doesn't get anymore equal than that.

Quote:
It's okay to sexually objectify a woman and turn that up to eleven, but the man? Nope, can't objectify him at all. Instead, he gets to be a hulking wall of muscle and be an empowerment fantasy!
The double standard here is that making a women sexy is automatically objectifying her, but making a man a hulking wall of muscle is automatically empowerment fantasy, which IMO is itself a sexist view.

I don't find the sorceress sexy, nor do I find the fighter or dwarf "empowering"

Quote:
Seems a bit unfair. Where's the sexy bishonen mancandy for the ladies, hmm? Most girls don't find roided-out musclefreaks to be sexy, you know, nor do they find hilariously floppy Gag Boobs to be empowering.
feel free to head over to your nearest otome game aisle. And I just want to stress this again, many guys also don't find roided-out msuclefreaks to be empowering, nor hilariously floppy gag boobs to be sexy.

Quote:
And ya'll wonder why there aren't more female gamers... I swear, maybe this has something to do with it?
gaming is still a relatively new entertainment medium, one that started and grew primarily as a male-oriented venue. Just because it's becoming more mainstream doesn't mean that's going to change overnight. Hell, not 10 years ago it wasn't even looked upon favorably for MALES to be associated with video games (and in many cases still remains so).

Social trends and values have FAR more to do with how gaming is viewed by either genders than the size of boobs in some video games. My sister, or any other non-gaming female friends of mine are usually interested in browser/puzzle games at the most as casual distractions, and have zero interest in traditional games period. Boob size of imaginary characters didn't turned them away from gaming, they were never interested in it in the first place.

Last edited by kyp275; 2013-05-03 at 09:45.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 11:12   Link #100
xizro345
King's Justice

Now what I'm hoping that all this mess doesn't translate in changes in the NA/EU version (not to mention Atlus STILL hasn't clarified the region lock issues... I'm very wary since the Mayonaka Arena mess and what happened to the P4 anime NA BDs...)
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action-adventure, fantasy