AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-03-30, 07:14   Link #3261
monsta666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
I was talking about European cup football. The CL is in it's least competitive stage since probably the 70s. The richest 10 have pulled away from the rest and have divided up all the cups since the Bosman arrest. Only Porto broke the hegemony in 2004. If you say Barca, RM, Milan or Man U is going to win the CL you're going to be right more than half the time as well.
Definitely agree with this. I would say in recent years it has got even more predictable. I don't think there will be much improvement in the coming years as ultimately the most successful teams will be the ones with the most money. Not sure if I would say the main reason for this shift was due to the Bosman ruling although that certainly did play its part. I would put the main reason down as the huge influx of money that has entered the game in the last 20 years. If you compare the wages of a player in 1990 and one of 2010 it is truly mind boggling. Money is what wins success these days. The great clubs like Ajax having simply become "nursery" or feeder clubs for Barcelona/United etc.

Quote:
As for the EPL... I'll be nice and say success has come at a steep price to the fans and English football in general, and leave it at that.
It is definitely true that the EPL has cost the English fan in the literal sense as the amount of money they have to spend to watch their teams has increased significantly since the formation of the Premier League. The other issue is since the Premier League has been formed the league has been more predictable at least in terms of who wins the league. The financial strength of the league has also created a large gulf in quality between the lower divisions of English football thus consolidating the grip further of established Premier League teams. In addition to that the strength of league is such that it can challenge the authority of the FA which responsibility is to govern the rules of English football. This power struggle between Premier League and FA has often undermined the spirit of the game. All of the things I described are all costs that fans and anyone will have to bear for having the Premier League.

Another claim often made, which I would dispute is the assertion that the huge influx of foreigners into the league since its formation has damaged the ability of England to produce high quality English players and hence reduce their chances of winning international silverware. However to make this conclusion one would have to assume that the England football team was strong prior to the Premier League forming when the league was dominated by English players. England were never good on the international level and this was even true when the English clubs dominated European football in the late 70s/early 80s. There has been no discernible improvement or decline between today and now, in fact if we could say anything the performance of England in international competitions has improved in the last 10 years when compared to previous eras. Although really that is not saying much.

It is funny because loads of people have a higher opinion of the England football team than is warranted. I could understand England fans who big up England to think that way but it seems a lot of the international community also thinks England are better than they are. I think it is hype and marketing of English clubs and by extension the Premier League that gives people the impression that England must have an outstanding team. It is never true but time and time again people fall for it despite England's relatively poor track record in international competition.

As for overall sentiment in England. A lot of people do complain that footballers have become spoilt and football has lost its soul but ultimately what the English fans want is success at any cost. The Premier League has delivered for the most part in this area as the English clubs have risen in stature in Europe since the formation of the league. What needs to be remembered is that before the Premier League was formed in 1992 English clubs were facing a very dark period in their history as not only did they lose most of their success of recent past but they were shunned from Europe and faced European bans due to uncontrolled violent hooliganism that was rampant around the time.

In addition many of the stadiums were decrepit and run down and this eventually culminated in the Hillsborough Disaster that scared so many English fans. After the Premier League formed ticket prices went up, much to the anguish of fans, but those costs resulted in saver stadiums and a clampdown on hooliganism which eventually lead to a more family friendly experience for fans. The clampdown on hooliganism is still on-going but slowly but surely the English fans are gaining a more respectable reputation abroad although that reputation is still damaged somewhat.
monsta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 07:37   Link #3262
Merilyn Mensola
I am a Boxer

He, i am Milan...i love Milan..Just think that five-six years ago, we were a wonderful team..and in CL,we were really strong..however..years pass,and we never renewed the team.and this made ​​me very angry..because if you began to renew this team since 2006,slowly slowly, now,the team was competitive again..

I saw the match against F.C Barcelona..we played badly..they have had many opportunities to score..we few..but..Ibrahimovic really is look like isn't suited for The Champions League.., and Robinho missed a good opportunity to score...

In Champions League,never is written,and anything can happen..however..even in this year, F.C. Barcelona probably is going to win it...
Old 2012-03-30, 08:12   Link #3263
Eragon
Still Alive

Looking at the results from the first leg of the QF matches looks like Bayern, Real & Chelsea are all set to qualify for the semi finals. And although AC Milan succeeded in holding Barca to a goalless draw, considering that Barca were still playing better than them and creating more chances, I think Barca will qualify for the semi finals without much problem.
The way its set up it certainly looks like there's gonna be an El Classico CL final. Although I would love to see that, I don't want Mourinho in the finals. His way of playing the game ticks me off(his success be damned!). And if it does turn out to be an El Classico I think everyone knows how he'll make Real play the match.
Old 2012-03-30, 08:51   Link #3264
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta666 View Post
Another claim often made, which I would dispute is the assertion that the huge influx of foreigners into the league since its formation has damaged the ability of England to produce high quality English players and hence reduce their chances of winning international silverware. However to make this conclusion one would have to assume that the England football team was strong prior to the Premier League forming when the league was dominated by English players. England were never good on the international level and this was even true when the English clubs dominated European football in the late 70s/early 80s. There has been no discernible improvement or decline between today and now, in fact if we could say anything the performance of England in international competitions has improved in the last 10 years when compared to previous eras. Although really that is not saying much.
I agree it's not foreign players damaging youth development, but the massive difference between TV revenues in the PL and the Championship certainly does. Every team is terrified of relegation which ends the inflow of cash. This risk averse behavior leads clubs to only field "tested" and "experienced" players instead of youth. It's also sad to see a team like West Ham not really getting enjoy the reward of their development efforts.

There is also a difference between the performance of a national side and the quality of players. The England national side's style of play was never particularly suited to international tournaments (excluding 66). Compare Spain's national side, they were never a contender until the conditions of football changed in their favor. (I.e. the rules change to offside and the greater speed of the game shifted the balance towards the passing game in which the Spanish excel).

Player quality in England though has declined, if you look at the lists of great footballers, the PL produced far fewer great players then it's predecessor. Who have come through in the last 20 years? Becks, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Scholes, am I missing anyone? Don't think any major football nation has as many pre-90s players on their best of all time lists.

Quote:
As for overall sentiment in England. A lot of people do complain that footballers have become spoilt and football has lost its soul but ultimately what the English fans want is success at any cost. The Premier League has delivered for the most part in this area as the English clubs have risen in stature in Europe since the formation of the league. What needs to be remembered is that before the Premier League was formed in 1992 English clubs were facing a very dark period in their history as not only did they lose most of their success of recent past but they were shunned from Europe and faced European bans due to uncontrolled violent hooliganism that was rampant around the time. In addition many of the stadiums were decrepit and run down and this eventually culminated in the Hillsborough Disaster that scared so many English fans.
That is part of the success of the PL, but I don't like the way clubs have turned in to corporations. At some point the connection between the community and the team gets lost. Maybe I'm sentimental but I fear the PL is turning into a uncompetitive version of the NFL, which I think is a soulless entity that makes fans pay through the nose. (I do enjoy American Football, but rather watch the college game).

I think the solutions found by Bundesliga are preferable, which also dealt with the same problems like hooliganism and old stadiums. Fan ownership at least keeps the club (financially) accessible to most supporters and keeps away unsavory investors who turn a club in to their own little play thing.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 14:28   Link #3265
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
I was talking about European cup football. The CL is in it's least competitive stage since probably the 70s. The richest 10 have pulled away from the rest and have divided up all the cups since the Bosman arrest. Only Porto broke the hegemony in 2004. If you say Barca, RM, Milan or Man U is going to win the CL you're going to be right more than half the time as well.

The Europa League is far more unpredictable. Top teams don't want to risk their title chances/league campaigns for CL qualifying positions, leaving dozens of other teams who can potentially win it. Even now we're down to the final eight it's anyone's guess.
While it is safe to bet on one of the top teams to win the CL (isn't it a safe bet for almost all football competitions?), it is hard to predict which particular team will win. Few expected Inter to win in 2010. Milan were criticized to be too old in 2007. Liverpool's win in 2005 was more of a miracle. And for all the money spent by RM, it's been a decade since they featured in a final.

Don't forget that CL/European Cup was traditionally a top level competition that only the best of the best compete in. The old qualification format allowed only the league winner to participate. It is not a new phenomenon that one of the traditional football powerhouses wins year after year - only 12 teams have won the trophy more than once in its entire history. It's kinda moot to complain about top teams always winning the competition when it is meant to be a competition among top teams.

If anything, the new format allowed more minnows into the competition. They don't necessarily have a realistic chance of winning, but they can still bring surprises. Last year we had Schalke 04 in Semi-Finals. This year we have APOEL in quarters. But that comes at a price - the quality of games notably dropped from its previously high standard. This year, even at quarter-finals, only the Milan-Barca tie showed us CL-quality football.

In the process UEFA Cup/Europa League also lost its prestige. Its prize is too small. Its quality is not what it used to be. Teams prefer to secure a CL spot for the coming season instead of competing seriously. It's become a Carling Cup in Europe. Sure it is unpredictable because the good teams are half-hearted about it and the lesser teams do try to win. But what good is unpredictability when the quality is not there?
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 16:10   Link #3266
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i wouldn't say its prize is too small. i would say they've let too many low caliber teams into the competition. like the real tournament doesn't start until the end of february or march anyways, (depending on if you count the round of 16 or the quarters as the first "real" round). by opening the tournament up to smaller countries' leagues, they're diluting the quality of the competition. lets face it. no one wants to see a team from israel vs some team from eastern europe.

on that note, i wonder when fair play rules will be enacted. some clubs will be MAJORLY screwed when that rolls around..

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 17:34   Link #3267
monsta666

Quote:
I agree it's not foreign players damaging youth development, but the massive difference between TV revenues in the PL and the Championship certainly does. Every team is terrified of relegation which ends the inflow of cash. This risk averse behaviour leads clubs to only field "tested" and "experienced" players instead of youth. It's also sad to see a team like West Ham not really getting enjoy the reward of their development efforts.
It is true that less English players get a chance because of money but then the highest tier English players still get regular games. I think the real problem isn't so much the huge influx of foreigners that is crowding the English players out nor is it a the lack of patience but rather the problem lies in the way grass roots football operates in England.

The emphasis when it comes to training young kids is too centred around strength and speed which frankly will not work on the international level. If England want a winning team they need to place a stronger emphasis on technical ability and passing when training kids. Do that and you will get success; just look at Germany as a successful model in transitioning from a physical style to a passing style.

Quote:
There is also a difference between the performance of a national side and the quality of players. The England national side's style of play was never particularly suited to international tournaments (excluding 66). Compare Spain's national side, they were never a contender until the conditions of football changed in their favor. (I.e. the rules change to offside and the greater speed of the game shifted the balance towards the passing game in which the Spanish excel).
While the conditions of football have certainly favoured Spain I don't think that is the main reason for their success. Spain have always had talent but their latest team is blessed with even more talent than usual. In the past Brazil was the team to beat and they won trophies not through sheer physical strength but through flair and passing ability. There has always been a place for teams with high flair and technical ability, it is only in the past that the physical strength was also a viable option. The Germans of the past proved it was possible to win through organisation and strength. The game has now changed so physical football is not rewarded and there is only one option now. The Germans finally enough have adapted to this new game but not England.

Quote:
Player quality in England though has declined, if you look at the lists of great footballers, the PL produced far fewer great players then it's predecessor. Who have come through in the last 20 years? Becks, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Scholes, am I missing anyone? Don't think any major football nation has as many pre-90s players on their best of all time lists.
There was Owen, Shearer, Rio Ferdinand, Terry, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, Joe Hart to name a few. Okay not absolute world class but still no mugs either. Plus like I said in a earlier post; it is not like England was a factory of world class talent prior to the Premier League either. They fielded the odd good player here and there but never enough to really challenge the best.

Quote:
I think the solutions found by Bundesliga are preferable, which also dealt with the same problems like hooliganism and old stadiums. Fan ownership at least keeps the club (financially) accessible to most supporters and keeps away unsavory investors who turn a club in to their own little play thing.
The German Bundesliga is the best model to follow and English fans would probably be best served if they followed that model. Then again for a long time German clubs were not competitive in Europe and that would have annoyed England fans. The English fans are more restless and less patient than German fans and are not so keen on having the moral victory... It is their loss though. The Premier League may become more competitive and interesting once Fergie retires from United. Once he goes then United will just become like Munich of the Bundesliga. Then again I doubt the English league would ever become as unpredictable as the Bundesliga. It will be more unpredictable than the Scottish or Spanish leagues however. The Spanish league has become a Real Madrid/Barcelona show now.
monsta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 19:03   Link #3268
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
While it is safe to bet on one of the top teams to win the CL (isn't it a safe bet for almost all football competitions?), it is hard to predict which particular team will win.
What makes a top team these days, is more than ever determined by the size of the wage bill the club can afford, rather than what the club can achieve with it's means.

Quote:
Don't forget that CL/European Cup was traditionally a top level competition that only the best of the best compete in. The old qualification format allowed only the league winner to participate. It is not a new phenomenon that one of the traditional football powerhouses wins year after year - only 12 teams have won the trophy more than once in its entire history. It's kinda moot to complain about top teams always winning the competition when it is meant to be a competition among top teams.
Exactly, it was a knockout competition for Europe's national champions, not a tri-national league for the top of the PL, Serie A and La Liga with some wildcards thrown in.

The knockout structure meant that most participants at least had a shot at the title as 4 rounds and a final did not overly increase the number of games in season. In addition the 3 foreigner rule prevented the accumulation of all talent in a handful of teams.

The current qualifiers and group stages system increases the number of matches and lowers random chance. This heavily favors wealthy teams who can afford to have a large number of players on the payroll to compete on two fronts consistently. The high number of slots available for the top leagues guarantees an auto-invite for these rich teams, which pretty much takes away the challenge qualifying once posed for all. Worse, due to the massive rewards, these teams can pretty much fend off any domestic challengers to their league dominance and extend their reign. Well, unless those challengers sell their soul to some billionaire(s).

Quote:
If anything, the new format allowed more minnows into the competition. They don't necessarily have a realistic chance of winning, but they can still bring surprises. Last year we had Schalke 04 in Semi-Finals. This year we have APOEL in quarters. But that comes at a price - the quality of games notably dropped from its previously high standard. This year, even at quarter-finals, only the Milan-Barca tie showed us CL-quality football.
Schalke isn't even a minnow, a top 15 team in terms of earnings but even they have no chance of winning the CL. Hence my comment about the lack of competitiveness. The CL structure is also tailored to keep the top teams separate as long as possible so it's not too surprising we won't see any major confrontations till the semi's.

Quote:
In the process UEFA Cup/Europa League also lost its prestige. Its prize is too small. Its quality is not what it used to be. Teams prefer to secure a CL spot for the coming season instead of competing seriously. It's become a Carling Cup in Europe. Sure it is unpredictable because the good teams are half-hearted about it and the lesser teams do try to win. But what good is unpredictability when the quality is not there?
You could also say the reward for qualifying for the CL is too great. I think the league would regain some prestige if CL drop-outs weren't added during the group stages.

I don't know about quality. Schalke-Bilbao was far more entertaining than Milan-Barca. I rather see two teams trying to win then two teams who are afraid to lose. While not prized by the top teams, for anyone supporting a club not in the financial top 10, the Europa League is the only international prize their club have any chance of winning.

Still in answer to your question. If Barca and Real buy the remaining world class players from the other top teams, you'd probably have the two strongest sides in history. However the only games that would matter would be the 2 confrontations in La Liga, one in the Spanish cup and one in the CL final. Would that be any fun?
Old 2012-03-30, 20:04   Link #3269
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
I don't know about quality. Schalke-Bilbao was far more entertaining than Milan-Barca. I rather see two teams trying to win then two teams who are afraid to lose. While not prized by the top teams, for anyone supporting a club not in the financial top 10, the Europa League is the only international prize their club have any chance of winning.
That's an odd assertion. I don't see Milan or Barca playing for a draw. Both played to the style that suited them best. Both had chances to win and couldn't take them. It ended in a draw that most would think was a fair result. Frankly I think it's quite wrong to say the teams played to not lose in hindsight after the game ended in a draw.

Also, quality is a more objective term than entertaining. Quality of a game is determined by how skilled, organized, composed the two teams on the field are. In Milan v Barca, we have one team dominating the possession, and another team superbly organized in defence and denied Barca the space in the middle. In a sense both teams were in control of certain aspect of the game. The finishing was rather disappointing. But even so it was a top level performance by both sides.

Schalke-Bilbao was great entertainment. Some brilliant goals. But neither side truly controlled the game. Bilbao were shaky in defence with many poor clearances. Same can be said for many EPL games between top sides this season - too many high scoring games. They may be entertaining and exciting for viewers, but the inability to control the game both in and out of possession is evident. And that arguably cost them in Europe.

It's also not wise to use Bilbao as an example. Marcelo Bielsa is a strong advocate for attacking football. His team is always entertaining and exciting to watch. Bilbao have been truly brilliant in Europe this year. But they are more of an exception than the norm.

Quote:
Still in answer to your question. If Barca and Real buy the remaining world class players from the other top teams, you'd probably have the two strongest sides in history. However the only games that would matter would be the 2 confrontations in La Liga, one in the Spanish cup and one in the CL final. Would that be any fun?
The possibility of that is way overblown. This is the first time in many years that RM and Barca have a chance to meet in a CL final. Spanish football is at their most dominant time in decades. But in football dominance come in cycles. Italy had their time in 90's to early 2000's. EPL teams dominated around 2007 to 2009 but are now giving way to La Liga giants. Eventually the Germans will get their turn to reap rewards.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 22:00   Link #3270
Bri

Quote:
That's an odd assertion. I don't see Milan or Barca playing for a draw. Both played to the style that suited them best. Both had chances to win and couldn't take them. It ended in a draw that most would think was a fair result. Frankly I think it's quite wrong to say the teams played to not lose in hindsight after the game ended in a draw.

Also, quality is a more objective term than entertaining. Quality of a game is determined by how skilled, organized, composed the two teams on the field are. In Milan v Barca, we have one team dominating the possession, and another team superbly organized in defence and denied Barca the space in the middle. In a sense both teams were in control of certain aspect of the game. The finishing was rather disappointing. But even so it was a top level performance by both sides.
Milan's game philosophy was not to concede a goal and to disrupt Barca's midfield game at the expense of possession and offensive capability. Hoping to catch Barca on the break. Robinho in particular was wasted on this match. Barca spend the better part of the game carefully establishing dominance on midfield before really committing forward. The objective to avoid conceding a goal preceded the objective of outscoring the opponent. Therefore my comment on the careful/fearful play.

While tactically interesting in the way both teams tried to establish control, I found it rather lacking in entertainment value. That said, I realize I value attack minded football over control games, even though the latter can be more challenging.

Quote:
Schalke-Bilbao was great entertainment. Some brilliant goals. But neither side truly controlled the game. Bilbao were shaky in defence with many poor clearances. Same can be said for many EPL games between top sides this season - too many high scoring games. They may be entertaining and exciting for viewers, but the inability to control the game both in and out of possession is evident. And that arguably cost them in Europe.
Can't say I mind games being fun to watch. Why the EPL teams collapsed in Europe I don't really know.

From what I have seen from the CL, Man U went overboard on squad rotation, the team looked very in-cohesive at times. Arsenal still lacks quality in the current rebuilt phase. The teams competing in the Europa League just seemed to lack motivation.

Quote:
It's also not wise to use Bilbao as an example. Marcelo Bielsa is a strong advocate for attacking football. His team is always entertaining and exciting to watch. Bilbao have been truly brilliant in Europe this year. But they are more of an exception than the norm.
Same can be said about AZ. They've definitely played the best football in the Dutch league this year and put in some nice performances with open attack minded football.

Quote:
The possibility of that is way overblown. This is the first time in many years that RM and Barca have a chance to meet in a CL final. Spanish football is at their most dominant time in decades. But in football dominance come in cycles. Italy had their time in 90's to early 2000's. EPL teams dominated around 2007 to 2009 but are now giving way to La Liga giants. Eventually the Germans will get their turn to reap rewards.
I meant to exaggerate to highlight my point. When "quality (as in players, money, etc)" is confined to a small number of teams, the number of significant match ups decrease. I'd rather have a large competitive playing field, even if that means a reduced average quality of the teams in competition.

Quote:
The emphasis when it comes to training young kids is too centred around strength and speed which frankly will not work on the international level. If England want a winning team they need to place a stronger emphasis on technical ability and passing when training kids. Do that and you will get success; just look at Germany as a successful model in transitioning from a physical style to a passing style.
Have to agree there, what I have seen from the PL youth teams in the Nextgen series, seems to confirm your point

Quote:
While the conditions of football have certainly favoured Spain I don't think that is the main reason for their success. Spain have always had talent but their latest team is blessed with even more talent than usual. In the past Brazil was the team to beat and they won trophies not through sheer physical strength but through flair and passing ability. There has always been a place for teams with high flair and technical ability, it is only in the past that the physical strength was also a viable option. The Germans of the past proved it was possible to win through organisation and strength. The game has now changed so physical football is not rewarded and there is only one option now. The Germans finally enough have adapted to this new game but not England.
Not since the time of Pele though. Brazil gave up the beautiful game after 1982, the success of the 90s and early 2000s was based on teams every bit as physical as the Europeans.

The Spanish side of 2010 had an amazing midfield, but I doubt that Tiki-taka could have worked a decade earlier the way it did in 2010, even with the same players. At the moment there still isn't a convincing answer to this playing style. Van Marwijk and Maurinho used the brute force approach to some effect but at the expense of public support.

Quote:
Then again I doubt the English league would ever become as unpredictable as the Bundesliga. It will be more unpredictable than the Scottish or Spanish leagues however. The Spanish league has become a Real Madrid/Barcelona show now.
As opposed to the two Manchesters now? But yeah you are right Barca and Real are so far ahead of the pack it's not even funny. Being able to retain their own TV-rights gives them a significant advantage over leagues that share the income. I think it will haunt them in the future as other Spanish teams are on the brink of financial collapse.
Old 2012-03-31, 16:57   Link #3271
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Bad loss to QPR today. Just have to hope Tottenham drop points tomorrow.

Also, even though I don't support Villa, the news about Stiliyan Petrov is sad. Hope he makes a full recovery.
Old 2012-04-03, 13:21   Link #3272
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

An Arsenal fan here. Gutted to see a poor performance to a QPR team we should be comfortably beating. Alas, no plan B, no nothing.

Tonight's the big clash between Barcelona and Milan. Obviously Barca are favourites, what with being at home and all, but history is favouring Milan (they tend to go through after they draw 0-0 at home).

As for the other fixture, Bayern surely to go through. Marseille have been disastrous this season, and not hitting the level of consistency that they should be showing. It's a wonder how they even managed to scrape through the group stages and 1st knock-out round.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 13:27   Link #3273
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Tonight game will be fun to watch. My bro is on Barcelona so gonna root for them.

2 top clubs and hopefully the game will be a good football match
Old 2012-04-03, 17:35   Link #3274
Bri

As expected Bayern and Barca trough to the next round. Bayern had little opposition from Marseille but gave a nice display.

Barca not at it's best but still a level above Milan. They were a bit lucky on the second penalty which changed the course of the game. Still I never had the feeling Milan was going to pull off a surprise upset.
Old 2012-04-03, 23:38   Link #3275
Eragon
Still Alive

Yet again poor referring ruined a potentially close match. Why doesn't the UEFA see that the referees it appoints for such a prestigious competition are competent or not? Even after the fiasco that happened last year with Real and in 2009 with Chelsea. Such refereeing puts Barca in a bad light.
Old 2012-04-06, 04:31   Link #3276
Bri

So, after yet another week of European football we know now the semi ties:

Bayern Munich - Real Madrid
Chelsea - Barcelona

and

Atletico Madrid - Valencia
Sporting CP - Athletic Bilbao

Can you say la liga domination... We could end up with two complete Spanish finales.

Bayern versus Real is pretty much the most anticipated tie, best football money can buy (pun intended). Both teams are lethal on the break but I'd rate RM's team higher, the defense especially. Maurinho also has better control over his stars, Henyckes' Bayern has lived up to it's reputation of FC Hollywood.

Chelsea is the massive underdog. Can they channel their hate for Barca in to a last great performance by an aging team? The games against Benfica weren't confidence inspiring.

Only Sporting can prevent an all Spanish final in the Europa league, but what are their chances against Bilbao? Bilbao is the weakest side of the Spanish three, but has played very good football in their cup campaign. This might end up being the most entertaining match up to see.
Old 2012-04-06, 05:49   Link #3277
Eragon
Still Alive

I guess the second semi final is pretty one sided unless Chelsea can somehow pull off a miracle. And seeing that, I think, Real are going to win their match I don't think anyone beside Barca has a chance to keep Mourinho's side from claiming the champions league title.
Old 2012-04-06, 06:08   Link #3278
Blaat

Considering Chelsea had trouble against a 10-man Benfica I fully expect Barça to trash them. Real vs Bayern is going to be really interesting though hard to predict the winner and a lot of those players will be meeting each other again in the upcoming Euro.
Old 2012-04-06, 06:19   Link #3279
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Then i think Chelsea have to play Totenham for FA cup semi final just 48 hours before the CL match as well.

Bayern vs Real gonna be interesting. Actually i hope for Bayern win,as Classio for final gonna be terrible, where dirty play will definitely have its place. Hoping for Bayern versus Barcelona final. Barcelona is in better position, but Bayern can play at home. So gonna be fair match
Old 2012-04-06, 06:22   Link #3280
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Then i think Chelsea have to play Totenham for FA cup semi final just 48 hours before the CL match as well.
Eh, I think Real has it worse they have to play Barça between the two CL semi-final ties.

Tags
football, soccer