Notices

Old 2003-12-21, 23:37   Link #41
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanthis
Boney, what server do you play on?
Frostfell and Wintersebb

(to all of you interested, we're talking about an MMORPG)

*edit*

I can't believe I went off topic. *embarassed*

Lanthis, please don't reply to me. PM me if you want to say anything more... that's what I should have done. Mods can delete this post :P
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 23:51   Link #42
smee
Silent A$$A$$IN

Send a message via AIM to smee
how is my avatar overly flashy?
smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 23:55   Link #43
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by smee
how is my avatar overly flashy?

It has that stupid flashy name, and stupid gat line crap all over it.

I hate it. It just screams out to the world that you're a naruto fanboi.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 01:36   Link #44
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Drama drama!
Old 2003-12-22, 01:55   Link #45
::faze
<3 Scrapped Princess

Avas seem pretty random so I dont really change my view of the person by the ava. The screen names do influnece my perception though. I rarely find myself paying attention to who the poster is anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee
well, everyone knows i'm cool like my avatar, also what do you guys think of me when you see my avatar? do you think i'm older or younger than 14?
The ava is pimpin but from your posts it seems like you're 14 and under. I can't really assume anything just from the ava itself, except that you like naruto.
::faze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 02:40   Link #46
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboz
They definately do...

For example...
A wacky avatar... he's fun loving...
A bloody/gruelsome one... he's violent maybe abit sadistic...

Since I don't know the person in real life, the avatar/signarure will hold some clue to why he choose it and how the person is like. Then my perception of that person will first take shape from there. They won't necessary hold true for everyone though. Usually, more interation with that person and reading their posts will tell me otherwise.

Btw, whenever I think of boneyjellyfish, I think of Ed from Cowboy Bebop.
Ditto. It is not only just their avatars but also their usernames that influence my perception of that person. I usually try to choose characters from an anime I like who has the same personality as me or close to it as my avatar. However, the characters that tend to have personalities similar to mine are mostly female.
Old 2003-12-22, 03:04   Link #47
aFlipGuy
Master

Send a message via AIM to aFlipGuy
so u ppl say that i'm a hot korean chick blinkin at you ^_^

haha hex naw

flipguy = FILIPINO GUY ^_^

i just picked this gif i found somewhere(think it was somewhere in this forum but not sure and show it to my friends who are obsess w/ this chick ^_^) because her blinking kinda gives me a nice feeling inside and it just makes me smile ^_^

i dont think it influences me because ppl pick avatar to either look cool (strangle boy, no offense but thats kinda psyco) or they like the cute pictures(lots of guyz w/ little girly cute picture, wtf is up w/ that....well i atleast i think they are guyz ^_^)

so anyways, it doesnt influence me, when i see an avatar my reaction to it is just... oo looky nice or eww wtf, why this avatar or......hahahhaaha funny or...u get the idea?
aFlipGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 03:08   Link #48
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinFangFoom
I think it does to some extent. For example, when you (you=ashibaka) had that bottle fairy gangster advatar (that was you right?) At first I didn't know what it was from so for some reason I pictured you as a 40 year old lesbian with a smokers cough (I honestly don't know why, I had no problem with you personally), but then I watched the series and realized that your advatar was cool so it erased that perception.

Most of the time it has no real effect. Personally I hope when people turn on their TV and happen to see Hercules topless, they will think of FinFangFoom with affection .

*shudders* Even though it scares me that you have the avy and sig it is pretty hilarious.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 03:15   Link #49
ato
Oups...

I tend to pay attention to the avatars people use. Whereas it probably tells little in itself about them as persons, it combines with the username, custom title and wording of the postings to form a whole. I would guess that with all those hints, it is fairly easy to guess as to the age/maturity/education level of the poster.

Mostly, I use the avatars to quickly identify who has posted what. It is a very immediate way of recognizing someones posts, and also gives the mind some kind of hook to associate with, meaning it becomes easier to remember certain users. This is why I tend to like fairly constant, and distinctive, avatars - I chose Kaga for myself way, way back. Radical changes of avatar style may temporarily thow me a bit. For example GHDpros last avatar change was...Jarring might be an appropriate word
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 03:26   Link #50
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Ditto. I also associate someone's post with their avatar more than their name. When someone changes avatars I have to try to adapt. I'm glad that ato hasn't changed his avatar for some time.

That's why I also picked a theme for my avatars and haven't varied much. My avatar right now is the biggest change that I have made since I first joined animesuki.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 03:36   Link #51
Shinobu_Maehara
eternal Shinobu lover

Send a message via ICQ to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via AIM to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via MSN to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via Yahoo to Shinobu_Maehara
hmmm time for my opinion I guess.

I look mostly at the avatar to determine what this person's main interest is.
most people here use anime avatars, so that's pretty clear to me, we are all anime fans. and ofcourse particular shows in a special quote.

A username mostly doesn't say anything about the person, but just as above it can determine a common interest.

A signature tells a lot because mostly you'll see journal spams and ofcourse some graphic hints.

But in the end, you can't judge a person on their avatar.

example my own profile, I have Shinobu as avatar, so is my screen name.
My real name is Dante, and I'm 21 years old...

Some people actually refer me as gay. Or a wuss... does that really make me that just by my avatar? I guess not, because I have a wonderful girlfriend and thus not gay.
Shinobu_Maehara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 11:46   Link #52
smee
Silent A$$A$$IN

Send a message via AIM to smee
and also, jappi, i didnt make my sig, that was actually what a mod wrote after taking off my byukugan sig. i figured i'd keep it since i cant get in trouble for what a mod. did.
smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 12:04   Link #53
PiGGiEE
PiGGiEE Judo Chop Chop!

I don't judge people by their ava or sigs... I usually like to talk to people to get a sense of what kind of person they are.
PiGGiEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 12:21   Link #54
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Yeah its interesting, I partially associate people with their avatar although mostly their personality rather than their physical appearance. Unless of course their avatar is a real photo of a person, then my mind automatically associates the name and image; FingFanFoom, sorry but you ARE Kevin Sorbo .

Erm don't know what my Avatar says about me.......
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 13:16   Link #55
Moon The Cat
Hoi!

I only use the avatar to identify the member. But that's all. I can't actually figure out someone's personality by his/her avatar. I think no one can.
Moon The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 13:25   Link #56
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurumaru
Erm don't know what my Avatar says about me.......
You like little girls? ^^;
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 05:17   Link #57
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_Squirrel
You like little girls? ^^;
LOL typical F_S straight to the point, (like an arrow to your heart) , at least it wasn't "You pay a lot of child support................"

PS Keep following Narutaru......you'll find out why!
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 06:10   Link #58
Thany
Unfair

I personally think that avatar's most likely are here for that : to show off.
Anyway, aren't they bigger than the usename?
And I'm sure that if the avatar size wasn't 100x100 min there would be big big avatars to make sure you see them
Thany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 06:16   Link #59
Nausicaa
Windrider

Avatars do reflect peoples' personalities to a limited extent... I would probably never pick a super-bloody gruesome image for my avatar, nor would I pick a hyper-chibi one. At least it's easy to tell who REALLY likes hentai around here

I'm surprised that a lot of people have said they go by avatar to recognize a person posting....a lot of people seem to have been changing their avatars recently, and the only way I knew was that I had commited usernames to memory...that and some people's crankiness makes them instantly recognizable

Nah, but it's what people have to say that influences my opinion of them.
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 09:35   Link #60
Animaniac
On leave?

p3psi's on a roll. Anyway, we all know he's really Santa Saddam.
Animaniac is offline   Reply With Quote