AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 33 25.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 37.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 30 23.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.57%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.79%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 3.15%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-09, 15:18   Link #181
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Uh Oh! You are becoming an Otaku. You need to develop a stronger resistance to the pressures these types of series exhibit or you'll wake up one morning to find you've decorated your room with Konata merchandise [...]
... Just ignore all these Kona posters on my walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
(and yes, talking into fans is not a cultural reference to anything other than the universal joy of discovering what kind of weird noises you can make. I did it as a kid and I grew up in Texas, not Osaka or Hokkaido)
Whaat? You imply that people eventually grow out of doing those sorts of things. D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixen View Post
Q: During recess, you return to the classroom and witness a classmate of yours extorting money from another classmate. What will be your course of action?

A: Write his name in a black notebook.

Q: Singapore faces the problem of supporting an aging population. Give some recommendations on how we can alleviate this problem.

A: Train still virile people through eroges to have crazy wild yuri loli sex and make more babies to balance it out.
*snorks* Make me spit out my food, will you? I really need to stop checking the forums during lunch.

I think it was appropriate to put "gotta catch'em all" because it was a reference to pokémon; this way, an English-speaking audience could catch the reference too. Though... I still prefer a more literal translation. Heck what I'd really prefer is being able to understand everything without *any* subs. That day will soon be mine. +_+
Old 2007-05-09, 15:21   Link #182
Fixen
ZnT Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
*snorks* Make me spit out my food, will you? I really need to stop checking the forums during lunch.
Is it a chocolate cornet? No? Then spit it out.

I'm sorry...stupid elitist jokes.
Old 2007-05-09, 15:23   Link #183
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixen View Post
Is it a chocolate cornet? No? Then spit it out.

I'm sorry...stupid elitist jokes.
Of course. I started at the head and followed a normal distribution of strawberries, cake, and cream bread and choco.
Old 2007-05-09, 15:33   Link #184
Kabitzin
1/3 of the Sea Slugs Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
Ahaha, the part about the MMO is so true. During our late night grind sessions a DD would fall asleep in the middle. If you were really unlucky, your healer would be the one snoozing and you're in for a party wipe :<
That's bad stuff, cause just like in FFXI the MMORPG that Konata plays punishes death with EXP-loss. Nothing worse than getting new equipment and then being unable to equip it because your party wiped and you deleved =(.

As for being a tank, makes sense that Konata would want to play that role. In almost all MMORPGs, the tank is the most gear dependent, and has to be one of the most reliable person in the static group. For obvious reasons, this makes Kontata ideal, since she is always on and she is motivated to grind for the best equipment.

As for Nanako being a mage... well, not to be mean, but DPS is always the easiest cog of the party to replace. Nanako is the earliest to sign off and falls asleep at the keyboard... it is a good thing she isn't a healer or tank!
Old 2007-05-09, 15:35   Link #185
Fixen
ZnT Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Of course. I started at the head and followed a normal distribution of strawberries, cake, and cream bread and choco.
But don't you cut the thin end off and eat it with the excess chocolate?

Okay, I'll stop. We don't need another ten-minute food conversation, only with each statement stretched out around five minutes each. XD
Old 2007-05-09, 16:33   Link #186
Baka-yuki
Lucky Bibliomaniac

Send a message via AIM to Baka-yuki
I liked that part, now i really wanna try some of those foods.

For Lucky Star 5, it was worth the wait. Loved the fan bit and when konata started to discribe what would happpen in a dating sim.
Was kona-chan humming Bouken Deshou Deshou when she was gamming? sounded like it.
Old 2007-05-09, 16:37   Link #187
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Is that the infamous Beta Translation that had Klarth talking to Cless about which girl he prefers, Mint and her huge breasts and woman-like demeanor (Satomi Koorogi doing her voice makes this all the more ass backwards), or Arche and her flighty nature, followed by "I don't know about Mint, but I bet that Arche F**** Like A Tiger". That's one of my friends favourite talking points about the game. To bad it's gone in the final patch.
I was actually referring to the part where Arche gets drunk on the ship and Cless overhears her sleeptalking, but your example works too.

Quote:
Arche was also like the ultimate cheap ass character because there'd be enemies in Moria Gallery that would take out the whole party and she'd be just hanging out up there, completely out of the enemies range on her broom casting Meteor Swarm and extinction.
Funny thing, after posting that yesterday I felt the urge to play Tales of Phantasia again, and went through the lower levels of Moria Gallery. While it's true that Arche can't be killed by Urchins, Bigfoots, and Tuskboars, she gets clobbered really easily by those Maxwell clone enemies and their Molecular Attack, since she's such an easy target when airborne.

If Konata actually were playing FFXI, I could see her as a tank character, but probably more of a Ninja blinktank rather than a Paladin. I don't think she'd appreciate a Paladin's damage output in a traditional party, and it'd probably be more fitting to her playstyle to form shihei-burn parties instead. Plus good Ninja gear is generally more difficult or expensive to obtain than Paladin gear (their AF armor lasts them almost to endgame), so that'll probably complement Konata's playtime.

Or we're just overanalyzing this way too much. All this MMORPG talk is making me miss FFXI. >.> Time to change signatures to alleviate the feeling.

And for the record, I played a male character in FFXI.
Old 2007-05-09, 18:39   Link #188
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Yes. The meaning is a little different though. "Getto Daze!" means "I got it", or more literally, "It's a 'get'!". Satoshi/Ash says it whenever he catches a Pokemon(when I was still watching the show anyways) in the form of "(Pokemon name here) Getto Daze!".

It makes more sense than "Gotta catch'em all!" in that scene, but I guess it's not too bad.
Hmm, I would've used "gotcha." The nuance seems to be appropiate in that sense.
Old 2007-05-09, 18:46   Link #189
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Haha the teacher plays the game with her.
Old 2007-05-09, 18:56   Link #190
Kisuke06
I see...

Very good episode. FMP's director did a good job. Finally a new character appears(the cop)but I wonder when new characters are going to pop up.
Old 2007-05-09, 18:57   Link #191
TigerII
Pilot in Training

On the chat log part, when you would see wwwwww etc. Is that really lol, and roflecopters or was that just the subbers having fun?
Old 2007-05-09, 19:08   Link #192
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
On the chat log part, when you would see wwwwww etc. Is that really lol, and roflecopters or was that just the subbers having fun?
'w' is short for 'warau,' which is Japanese for 'to laugh.' It's used similarly to 'lol.' The way a.f.k. nuanced the different variations in the subs is roughly equivalent.
Old 2007-05-09, 19:09   Link #193
Fixen
ZnT Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
The "wwwwwwwww" is definitely an equivalent of "lol". Roflcopters is a subber's substitute for something else apparently.
Old 2007-05-09, 20:08   Link #194
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachi-chan View Post
Very good episode. FMP's director did a good job. Finally a new character appears(the cop)but I wonder when new characters are going to pop up.
Well here's the thing. If he actually directed the episode, then that means they are doing the episodes by the week, which means the whole team is working massive overtime hours to storyboard, record, animate, time and edit each episode to broadcasting standards. Other than that there's three possibilities here:

1. He didn't direct the episode
2. This director change is actually old internal company news from when they did produce the episodes, which was only released recently to the public.
3. Kyoto Animation is not in fact a studio that never makes their animators work overtime like wikipedia used to claim, but the Electronic Arts of anime. (the previously mentioned hypothesis)

I'm thinking number two makes the most sense.
Old 2007-05-09, 21:31   Link #195
dKiWi
Devoted Haruhiist

Send a message via MSN to dKiWi
Don't know whether anyone noticed this, but I think this is a reference to Yume Tsukai as well as of course Fumoffu:

Spoiler for reference to Yume Tsukai/Fumoffu:
Old 2007-05-09, 21:55   Link #196
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Don't know whether anyone noticed this, but I think this is a reference to Yume Tsukai as well as of course Fumoffu:
I don't think it references Yume Tsukai at all, first of all, YT was a pretty low-profile anime which didn't catch too much attention, and secondly, it's perfectly normal for anybody to wear a mask in that way. I don't know about Fumoffu, because I haven't watched it.

You people need to stop looking for references all over the damn series. It kind of remembers me of the pain in the referential ass Pani Poni Dash was. Some fansubbing groups just loved to look even at the most pointless details and get a "reference" out of it, when it was pretty clear that it was nothing more than a casual coincidence. I remember an episode when they put "Let's La Go!" as a specific reference to the phrase coined by (insert name here) in the '70s or something, when that phrase was used in lots of other series, too, with no intention of direct reference.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-05-09, 21:57   Link #197
TigerII
Pilot in Training

The last episode had a ton of references in it. I just saw one in this one. The mask is from Full Metal Panic Fumoffu.
Old 2007-05-09, 21:59   Link #198
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
The last episode had a ton of references in it. The mask is from Full Metal Panic Fumoffu.
That doesn't change the fact that putting it as a reference to Yume Tsukai is nothing more than over-wishful thinking...

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-05-09, 22:01   Link #199
Anime Online

Kona-chan's sash looked rather different from the rest. So I'm wondering, for those who know about yukatas, is hers tied properly? Her sash design looks really difficult to tie.
Old 2007-05-09, 22:06   Link #200
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post

Kona-chan's sash looked rather different from the rest. So I'm wondering, for those who know about yukatas, is hers tied properly? Her sash design looks really difficult to tie.
Oh that's a Suzumiya Haruhi reference cause Haruhi wore a Yukata during one of the festivals.
Closed Thread