AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-23, 06:45   Link #21
oDin01

I do admit that fansubs have lead me to buy more anime DVD's. It's gotten me more into watching a lot of anime I wouldn't normally do. I own almost 700 anime DVD's and I know I'm a rare case on these forums. I have the money to buy it and to me it's more of a collector's mentality to keep on buying more than anything.
Old 2004-04-23, 08:00   Link #22
SketchyMcChips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
We are agreeing that you should buy the DVD to support the industry so that it can flourish or stay on.

But my point is that it is a minority who having taken a free look at the anime, decide to buy the DVD. Quite a lot will simply pass over the DVDs, irregardless of what region they are because they have already watched the contents from the subs.
So maybe the US licensing companies would be better off trying to sell the series to subscription cable/satellite channels either before or in parallel to the DVD releases - it works with popular TV series such as Friends, Six feet Under, 24, etc. so why wouldn't it work with anime - especially if they couple this with a crackdown on fansub groups. But to make that work they'd really have to start taking more risks and pre-licencing series so that they can be released shortly after the original series has aired.

I'm sure i'd be very tempted to get a channel that showed maybe 2-3 hours of anime a night...maybe an hour and a half of series and a film - paying £5-10 a month for all that anime would be significantly more appealing to me than buying the DVD's.

I *might* even consider paying for professional subs if they're released earlier. Fansub groups ave proven that a series can be subbed quickly and reasonably accurately with limited resources. I'm sure a distribution company with more resources and full-time translators and subtitlers could do it if they partnered up with the Japanese Studios.
Old 2004-04-23, 09:24   Link #23
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
So maybe the US licensing companies would be better off trying to sell the series to subscription cable/satellite channels either before or in parallel to the DVD releases - it works with popular TV series such as Friends, Six feet Under, 24, etc. so why wouldn't it work with anime

The shows you listed have a far more mainstream appeal in America. Parents went apeshit when two episodes of Evangelion aired on CN, I doubt they'd be tolerant of much more.

I *might* even consider paying for professional subs if they're released earlier. Fansub groups ave proven that a series can be subbed quickly and reasonably accurately with limited resources. I'm sure a distribution company with more resources and full-time translators and subtitlers could do it if they partnered up with the Japanese Studios.

As AvatarADV said in another thread, they can't really get any more involved than they are now, short of being present during the actual storywriting process. And while fansubs are reasonably accurate and fast, this is also because there are a lot of things they pay no heed to, most notably copyright law. They also don't have to deal with retailers, licensors, production facilities, or paying employees.

ADV has started "The Anime Network" which is a VOD system they're running on cable networks in major cities around the country. I don't know how much of their content is subbed and it seems to be all ADV series. CN runs several hours of animation a week, albeit along broadcast TV guidelines.

The delay will likely never go away though, since removing it would result in changes you may not like.
Old 2004-04-23, 17:36   Link #24
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

I'm leaving on Quebec for those who don't know it's a french province of canada. I don't have a credit card to buy online and i don't know where the hell they sell DVDs. at archambault thre's some but not everything. so to watch anime i relay on fansub. They do a great job. If you don't have money but really like watching anime you will be disapointed if suddenly they stop releasing fansubs. Some one here talked about a ferari, why should we pay for something with the money that we don't have? If you have money buy it else there is fansub or borrowing from friends or wait i don't know how many years to watch it. The point is that the fact that you will or not buy anime depend on your financial, the country where you leave and on your knowledge of where to buy. Yeeesh i talk too much!!!!!
Closed Thread