AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2007-04-15, 14:11   Link #1
Cassi90

Skip Beat

Anyone like it here? Sorry if it has been asked before... ^^;;; I really love it! One of my favs. I think it's just so funny and I love the charachters...... Ren's Hot and Kyoko is soo cool!
Cassi90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 01:06   Link #2
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
same with me
i like it too ^_^
kira-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-23, 02:09   Link #3
BrokenWingz

Read the first volume so far, it's growing on me ^^.

For those who haven't heard of it yet-
Plot coutesy of Viz / manga updates:

Kyoko Mogami followed her true love Sho to Tokyo to support him while he made it big as an idol. But he's casting her out now that he's famous! Kyoko won't suffer in silence--she's going to get her sweet revenge by beating Sho in show biz!

Last edited by BrokenWingz; 2007-07-23 at 02:13. Reason: typo
BrokenWingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-06, 16:29   Link #4
konstargirl
Reisen FTW!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to konstargirl
I read some parts of the book and it was good. I only read upto volume 3 and I liked it alot. ^_^
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 02:18   Link #5
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Though there's a lack of romance. It's pretty nice. Nothing great, but it's good and it doesn't frustrate the shit out of you.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 15:04   Link #6
nanafan
horo fan

i just started reading it a few days ago, really funny. love me section rofl.
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 17:41   Link #7
xxmimixx
♥Sebastian's new wife♥
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to xxmimixx Send a message via Yahoo to xxmimixx
I like this manga so much <3. I read everyone from book 1 to 7 so far. I might buy books 8 and 9 during the christmas holidays ^^.
Old 2008-05-03, 19:45   Link #8
Sokar

The lack of following for this manga on animesuki saddens me greatly. Great characters, strong character development, and good plot. I would disagree with 2H-Dragon on the lack of romance. It has plenty of romance, it's just very different from your typically shoujou manga. If you get a chance, read it, it's got the perfect blend of comedy and drama, and also delves deeply into the meaning of love and the various expressions of it.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 21:59   Link #9
nanafan
horo fan

i admit it's a great read, really addicting the only problem is that i forget what just happened before when the new release is out.
Old 2008-05-03, 23:44   Link #10
Sokar

That's why I typically wait until the scanlators released a new volume worth of chapters and then read it. It's just more satisfying that way. I believe that pretty much all manga read better in trade format than in single issues. The writers know that their work will be collected later so they write for the trade. Each volume tend to have their own climax and cliffhangers that make it exciting to read, as oppose to single chapters where sometimes nothing much happens.
Old 2008-05-04, 00:09   Link #11
yongshun

Waiting on volume 12 from viz to release, cant wait I really like the series.
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 20:18   Link #12
nanafan
horo fan

true i love kyoko she's hysterical have you noticed how angular peoples faces are drawn though
Old 2008-05-05, 10:18   Link #13
Phae

I love it for the strong female main character and strong character development. Shoujo manga often has cardboard characters that are defined by just one or two traits. Plus I really love the scene where...

Spoiler for spoiler for scene that occured during location filming for dark moon (I forgot which chapter):
Phae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 22:20   Link #14
nanafan
horo fan

some parts of the manga killed me
Spoiler for manga spoiler:
Old 2008-05-05, 23:16   Link #15
ani_d

Personally, I'll say Sho > Ren. ^_^ Not that I hate Ren though lol I've read a LOT of shoujo mangas and Skip beat is by far the most unique scenario out there with a unique (more on the verge of strange), super funny heroine to boot. Why can't comedy shoujo mangas be like this? =_=
ani_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 23:44   Link #16
Sokar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Personally, I'll say Sho > Ren. ^_^ Not that I hate Ren though lol I've read a LOT of shoujo mangas and Skip beat is by far the most unique scenario out there with a unique (more on the verge of strange), super funny heroine to boot. Why can't comedy shoujo mangas be like this? =_=
I also love the uniqueness of Skip Beat! and how it cleverly subverts and then further develops all the typical shoujou manga characters. Kyoko went from your blind love shoujou heroine to hateful bitch then into a well rounded character capable of both love and hate, not to mention her great individuality and ability.

Fuwa went from perfect pop idol (God I hate manga with characters like this) into cruel jerk, then into someone that loves the new, more developed Kyoko. Great twist to the story, and also really a condemnation of the blind devotion that so many other shoujou manga have. Blind devotion is very boring and unrealistic in my opinion. Love is just more complicated than that. Fuwa hates the devoted fangirl Kyoko because she is not a fully formed person. You can't just devote your life to someone and ignore your own. When Kyoko struck out on her own, make her own path and even outmatched Fuwa in that music video, he began to notice her because she is a complete person, with her own goals and dreams.

Ren went from the too cool for love idol into someone that's actually really messed up. He's caught inbetween his love for Kyoko and his refusal to admit his love. There's just so many levels to his battle with Fuwa. First he's jealous of Fuwa's hold on Kyoko. Then because of the way Fuwa abandoned Kyoko, Ren just doesn't think Fuwa is the right match for Kyoko. Finally there's the I want her too but I can't want her dynamic. I wonder if a great guy hooks up with Kyoko, would Ren just accept it, or would he finally admit his love for Kyoko? I also love that fact that Ren is actually really bad with people, despite his popularity. The chicken scenes are so well done, as they show that Ren can't form deep personal relationships with other people. He can't talk to the one he loves about his deepest fears and desires, but instead spills his guts to a giant chicken.
Old 2008-05-06, 10:18   Link #17
nanafan
horo fan

i agree with sokar the character development is really good kyoko has changed a lot since the begining. i do wonder what will happen with her and ren, it seems like he's close to admitting it or at least dropping hints, but who knows when he will really reveal it all.
Old 2008-06-07, 08:29   Link #18
Enara
Riful #1 fan + Browncoat

skip beat is a manga that is vary original. and although not well know has promise.
Enara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-16, 11:39   Link #19
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

I Start Reading This Manga Today...The Story From The Start Looked Nice
It Surprised That it More Than 100 Chapter...I'm I Hope I Finish it This Week
Old 2008-06-18, 19:32   Link #20
yongshun

I read through Volume 12
Spoiler:

and wow Skip Beat! anime will really look forward to that.
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shoujo