Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-17, 04:19   Link #781
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
Big, small, matters very little to me, it's her voice that bothers me.
Her voice bugs me a little too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
Another reason Berserk is better than GS, after a fashion; Berserk leads with a guy getting raped. Goblinslayer could easily show male characters traumatised into helplessness by torture or the loss of friends, but, so far as I'm aware, it only reduces females to this state (correct me if there are some I hadn't heard about). And abandons them. Many shows kill off rafts of unremembered characters, but nothing can be done for the dead; a character still alive being condemned and abandoned is on another level, as the length of the discussion indicates. Berserk is a world with an evil god, and half the plot revolves around healing a traumatised rape victim!
Yeah, Goblin Slayer isn't really that much like Beserk.

The setting of Goblin Slayer is dark but the story itself was quite positive.

The style of Goblin Slayer is basically that of playing a game of DnD with friends. The setting of the story might be dark but basically, you going around killing monsters, getting treasure and saving people. It's not fun to play if the GM is constantly screwing with your character after all.

Quote:
(Again, there should be no female adventurers)
Why?

There is clearly no connection between gender and the ability to use magic. So why shouldn't people like Priestess or Witch Girl become adventurers?
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 04:36   Link #782
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^To stop them from becoming breeding machines yo

^^It does have great writing, but it certainly benefited greatly from the Outrage Marketing
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 04:53   Link #783
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
I said 'traumatised into helplessness'.
But weren't you making a comparison with berserk before? Was Guts traumatized into helplessness?
Otherwise I didn't understand what you were meaning with that comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
It does have great writing, but it certainly benefited greatly from the Outrage Marketing
That's for sure. Though I wonder if the outrage had the same size in Japan than it had in the west (specifically in america) I've the feel it blew up more in the west.
zeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 05:25   Link #784
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeando View Post
That's for sure. Though I wonder if the outrage had the same size in Japan than it had in the west (specifically in america) I've the feel it blew up more in the west.
Probably because in Japan these otaku stuffs are still heavily contained within otaku culture, which is already used to fictional depictions of rape. Perhaps one can take these things blowing up in the west as a sign that otaku stuffs are encroaching more mainstream audiences, for good or for ill.
Old 2018-10-17, 05:29   Link #785
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I'm just of the opinion that if you start off your show with a brutal rape scene of some non important characters in the very first episode not only is your show going to be always known as that rape show but it is also going to be seen as cheap and exploitative. Which it was.
A brutal rape scene? It was just implied. And it served it's purpose to establish the goblins (<<<<<< the actual main focus of this show) as the evil group of this title. It's also pretty funny that from everything that happened in episode 1, an implied rape scene is what people think is the worse of the worst. Infanticide, dismemberments, cold blood killings, gore and blood everywhere but that is ok so it seems. Cheap and exploitative? Of what? Do you have the same logic regarding romantic series? Do you think the constant kissing, staring, drama and sex scenes are gratuitous (as a derogative term) too? Or it's part of the genre and it's there to entertain? Different people have different tastes. Some like gory, bloody and stylish action scenes, others enjoy more light hearted moments. Why one is gratuitous and the other is ok? Do you play FPS videogames? Should we condemn it's players for killing people and glorifying murder (It's as bad if not worse than rape) in the same way we are doing with GS for daring to tackle rape within a dark medieval fantasy context? Because otherwise, it's just us being hypocritical af.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 05:30   Link #786
Skaddix

I don't know why people keep saying Berserk...yeah yeah they are both Dark Fantasy I guess but come on. There is no comparison.

Its not just Fighter girl gets raped and shuffled off the stage, its again this party of noobs were idiots it be one thing if they thought it was just a den of normal goblins and got jumped by the Hobgoblin and Shaman but Fighter was the only one in fighting shape when the Hobgoblin bothered showing up.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 06:09   Link #787
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Goblin Slayer is old school dungeons & dragons. Berserk IS Warhammer Fantasy.

- Old school D&D is highly lethal, and depending on the gamemaster, you may be stuck forever in the lowest levels vs the most lethal dungeons (tombs of horror comes in mind), but sometimes the GM or RNG feel nice because of your efforts (in the case of the GM, its in his interests to want you come back) and you can start seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

- Warhammer Fantasy beat you over the head that you are shit, you live in shit and will die like shit, and everything you have ever done will be for shit (Especially when you know what eventually happen to the setting, its as TVTropes put it a Shoot the Shaggy Dog setting)

[Mod snip]

Last edited by Klashikari; 2018-10-17 at 07:01. Reason: last comment disclosed too much the direction of the plot. Removed.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 06:54   Link #788
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
^To stop them from becoming breeding machines yo

^^It does have great writing, but it certainly benefited greatly from the Outrage Marketing
The goblins would just raid small villages for the women then unless all women are somehow got confined in the capital for their safety...but then, if a dragon came and raze the entire capital, then I guess the humanity is screwed up since all women died to the dragon's raid.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 06:59   Link #789
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I'm closing this thread for proper clean up.

I think some people already noted the notable difference between GS and other series like Berserk, so comparing ad nauseam both series is beating the dead horse. Plus, it has the side effect of spoiling people (and unfortunately for me, I didn't read/watch Berserk yet, so I'm actually at the receiving end here).
Old 2018-10-17, 08:01   Link #790
XFire
150% done

Quote:
^Lol, the only reason why the novel became so popular in the first place was because it put so much emphasis on Goblin Rape yo
What? The novel places by far the least emphasis on that part. People who read it where annoyed that it got played up in the manga and anime because it detracts from Medival Doomguy.

He was the real pull, not the goblins.
Old 2018-10-17, 08:06   Link #791
eiyuuou

If the adventurers are all male and females confined in the capital, we'll get another shitstorm on "women being enslaved by males" or whatever their delusion can come up with.
Old 2018-10-17, 08:55   Link #792
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^That's why there should be a warning to all female adventurers to immediately retreat when encountering goblins

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
What? The novel places by far the least emphasis on that part. People who read it where annoyed that it got played up in the manga and anime because it detracts from Medival Doomguy.

He was the real pull, not the goblins.
Nah, the Goblin Slayer is a boring guy
He's as dumb as Batman for sure
1 guy fighting villains each night can't change the world
He must raise the awareness of the threat so society as a whole can tackle that problem
Like, Bruce can just donate his techs and money to the police so they have the power to catch more villains

When this was not popular, people asked me about this saying it has goblin rape, so there your pull~

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeando View Post
Outrage is less in Japan
Rape won't mean a thing in Japan unless the main/popular heroine is the one who got raped
Still it did enough to became a talk back then
Old 2018-10-17, 08:57   Link #793
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
^That's why there should be a warning to all female adventurers to immediately retreat when encountering goblins

He must raise the awareness of the threat so society as a whole can tackle that problem
Like, Bruce can just donate his techs and money to the police so they have the power to catch more villains

When this was not popular, people asked me about this saying it has goblin rape, so there your pull~
Well, I read/watch GS not for rape. If I want to watch boob and rape, I would just read hentai. I read GS mainly because of the medieval batman who is not a billionaire prince.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 09:52   Link #794
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
You aren't making any sense. If anything, that kind of suggestion pretty much increases odds that people die to Goblins. Breaking a formation just like that is nonsensical. If the party wasn't strong enough to deal with goblins, it is very unlikely they would be able to escape without a fight. On the other hand, if they could deal properly with goblins, this kind of measure is counterproductive. And I'm pretty certain abducted female villagers are much bigger occurence than female adventurers.
Quote:
I believe that "some people I know wanted X to happen" hardly reflect the general opinion of the domestic audience.
Old 2018-10-17, 10:05   Link #795
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Break formation?
I said retreat, not flee
Of course I meant retreating with the entire party
And then notify the authority regarding the presence of Goblins
So they can compose a subjugation team consisting of many parties to exterminate the goblins
Old 2018-10-17, 10:12   Link #796
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

That's quite convoluted, moreso that by systematically retreating, you might give a chance to the goblin to reorganize themselves. They are stupid but no fools: if you allow them to take the initiative later on, things will get ugly with additional traps, patrols etc, especially if they have a leader like a shaman.

And this doesn't work either because of the established issue with goblin quests: most medium/high ranked adventurers don't want to deal with them, and rookies have no choice but to pick those quests, or going snail pace with sewers cleaning and stuff like that.
Even if the newbie party decide to retreat and ask for help, who will bother except the few adventurers willing to take under their wing? What about the rewards spread thin even more?

Note that I didn't imply "no one should retreat ever". But they should not retreat every single time they encounter goblins while they have female party members. That would be absurdly clunky.
Old 2018-10-17, 10:17   Link #797
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^That's why I blamed Goblin Slayer
Because he always extinguished the danger of goblins before they became actual threat
Thus, society never truly aware the fearsomeness of goblins
Old 2018-10-17, 10:23   Link #798
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
^That's why I blamed Goblin Slayer
Because he always extinguished the danger of goblins before they became actual threat
Thus, society never truly aware the fearsomeness of goblins
It like blaming pest control guys for killing rats in masse before they spread black death.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 10:31   Link #799
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^The scale is different, but yeah, close enough

I say just sacrifice 1 city if by doing that able to move the entire nation to completely exterminate rats

Goblin Slayer can still do his Batman thingy, but should just let some nobles and royals become victim, or let a major city be attacked
It will be a Red Pill for society
Old 2018-10-17, 10:34   Link #800
XFire
150% done

Quote:

Outrage is less in Japan
Rape won't mean a thing in Japan unless the main/popular heroine is the one who got raped
Still it did enough to became a talk back then
Bruh, you talking to some guys on animesuki doesnt constitute a "pull"

And your opinions on realism aside, Batman is extremely popular. GS was popular in Japan and America for the same reasons.

Until the anime came out the discussion was mostly about how he was going to kill the goblins next. Or if you were in the wrong board, which girl was best girl. Then the mainstream saw five seconds of rape and now it's all anyone can focus on.

Tags
disturbing content, fantasy, tragedy