AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2010-03-25, 18:16   Link #1
JRendell
Manga Addict

TED Talks

I did a search for a thread about these and the results were null.

TED, (Technology, Entertainment, Design), is a conference foundation devoted to "ideas worth spreading". Conferences, or 'TED Talks', were originally held on topics such as Technology and Design, yet, as the popularity of the talks spread, so did the topics of which now cover almost all aspects of Science and Culture.

Those who have given talks at TED include Bill Clinton, Al Gore, Gordon Brown, Richard Dawkins, Bill Gates, the founders of Google, Billy Graham and various Nobel Prize winners.

Some of the talks are extremely interesting. I was wondering if anyone out there has seen any talks and would like to possibly share some of their favourites.

I'll start;

Oliver Sacks - What Hallucination Reveals About Our Minds
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 19:14   Link #2
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I've visited that site many times before. Full of great ideas that, in my opinion, could potentially change the world.

One of my personal favorites:
Michael Pritchard's water filter turns filthy water drinkable

This one is newer and I found it fascinating:
Sam Harris: Science can answer moral questions

Last edited by Spectacular_Insanity; 2010-03-25 at 19:29.
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 23:08   Link #3
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I visit TED regularly as well for a quite well.

My favourites would be Hans Rosling's New Insight on poverty and Ken Robinson's Schools kill creativity
Old 2010-03-28, 20:57   Link #4
otakujohn

I enjoy the TED talks a lot. Some of my favorites are the talks given by Richard Dawkins and Daniel Dennett.

I do have some issues with some of the TED talks though. It helps to know a bit about who is giving the talk and not taking everything they say as fact simply *becuase* it's a TED talk. For example, Elaine Morgan gave a TED talk on the Waterside Hypothesis of human evolution, which has been thoroughly routed by the scientific community as a non-falsifiable, borderline pseudoscience, fringe idea.
otakujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 14:25   Link #5
Vinak
Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post

This one is newer and I found it fascinating:
Sam Harris: Science can answer moral questions
second this one.
Old 2010-03-29, 16:01   Link #6
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Here's another one. I was both shocked and moved by it:
Kevin Bales: How to combat modern slavery
Old 2013-02-28, 12:04   Link #7
willx
Nyaaan~~

So, another year of TED Talks is upon us! Here's a run down of specific topics I found interesting:

Fighting the growing deserts, with livestock: Allan Savory at TED2013

In the 1950s, Savory helped to set aside large areas of Africa for national parks. As soon as they removed the people (to protect the animals), the land deteriorated. His theory, backed up by data, was that it was because there were too many elephants. That was “political dynamite,” he said, but a panel agreed with his assessment.

So they shot 40,000 elephants.

But the deterioration only got worse. The elephants were not the problem after all. Says Savory, “That was the saddest and greatest blunder of my life. I will carry that to my grave.” It did give Savory one thing: “I was absolutely determined to find solutions.”

http://blog.ted.com/2013/02/27/fight...ry-at-ted2013/

Transforming transportation: Elon Musk at TED2013

First, he talks about the genesis of Tesla, his realization while still at university that the development of a sustainable energy system is critical to the ongoing existence of humanity — and therefore a problem worth tackling. And while, yes, these cars require being fed by current electrical systems, his belief is that given the inevitability of electric transportation, perhaps Tesla cars will help to kickstart the genuinely sustainable system necessary to support it. “All modes of transport will become electric, with the ironic exception of rockets. There’s no way around Newton’s third law,” he says. “So the question is how you create a really energy efficient car.” In Tesla’s case, the key is to make it incredibly light, with an aluminum chassis and body made in North America. “We applied rocket design techniques to make the car light, despite the large battery pack.”

http://blog.ted.com/2013/02/27/trans...sk-at-ted2013/
Old 2013-02-28, 13:23   Link #8
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Recently the rate of crap to worthwhile topics was really bad.
Like there was at any point maybe 1 good talk on the front page. Maybe my interests are to narrow, but I remember TED to be much better in previous years.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote