AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-04-25, 02:27   Link #8241
Clarste
Human

I seriously cannot imagine it being anyone but Ajimu. I think you're making too big a deal over some rather casual wording, probably compounded by a bad translation.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 02:51   Link #8242
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
But still not that of the "Child", which is where the whole argument, I believe originated in.

Though if Nisio does intend to drag Medaka Box out for 300-400 Chapters, the Child will almost certainly be a plot-point. Though I'd imagine it may well be after the graduation of Kumugawa.

Then again, there's still quite a few genres Nisio hasn't taken a sledgehammer to. For one, Seinen. And Medaka Box can easily veer of into that direction. Indeed, I wonder what happens to abnormals in the wider, adult world. Certainly, Medaka's shaping up to be one of the most prominent figure in that community. The "wider" garden provides still alot of fuel for plot, of which the Jet Black Bride Arc hopefully is only an entrance arc into a Post High School setting.

Then again, Nisio might choose to end this soon too, rather than moving that far out of Shounen territory. But Medaka Box is a setting very rich in Seinen themes, if the author wants to go in there.
No, if the supposed "child" was one of the people Naze saw on the list, then their identity has already been confirmed to be one of Ajimu or Hanten (Ajimu obviously). There's no other background character. Naze reported the only thing noteworthy in that list to Maguro.

Regarding the length of Medaka Box, or Medaka Box stepping into other genres, I wouldn't count on it. Medaka Box is a specifically shounen series by virtue of the fact that it's run in Shounen Jump. I don't think you should look at Medaka Box as a "deconstruction" of shounen in the first place but rather an exploration/experimentation/rearrangement of its ideas. The primary function of Medaka Box is first simply to be entertaining, which for all its cliches and weaknesses the shounen genre can still ultimately do just fine.

More importantly, I hear the middle school prequel novels are going to be released next week. As far as whether those will be "shounen", I honestly couldn't say. After all, it might be a stretch to expect the standard Jump demographic to actually read (lol). I figure the prequel novels might be Nishio's actual chance to stretch his fingers and explore the Medaka Box universe in his usual style. Hopefully someone, somewhere will take upon the challenge of translating them.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 02:57   Link #8243
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
More importantly, I hear the middle school prequel novels are going to be released next week. As far as whether those will be "shounen", I honestly couldn't say. After all, it might be a stretch to expect the standard Jump demographic to actually read (lol). I figure the prequel novels might be Nishio's actual chance to stretch his fingers and explore the Medaka Box universe in his usual style. Hopefully someone, somewhere will take upon the challenge of translating them.
Middle school prequels? That's the first I've heard of this. I guess I skim too much in this thread. I suppose that makes it official that nothing else of importance happened back then. An interesting story to tell, but not one that'll affect future events.

Another prequel I'd like to see would be Medaka's first election. When she supposedly met all the Committee Chairmen and everyone.
Old 2012-04-25, 03:32   Link #8244
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Middle school prequels? That's the first I've heard of this. I guess I skim too much in this thread. I suppose that makes it official that nothing else of importance happened back then. An interesting story to tell, but not one that'll affect future events.

Another prequel I'd like to see would be Medaka's first election. When she supposedly met all the Committee Chairmen and everyone.
One of the problems I think with the prequels is that alot of the character development of Medaka Box is not present then. So, you'd have Akune with his dependency issues, Medaka coming off as a Saint Sue every step of the way, etc. On the other hand, I do think that some parts of Medaka Box works better in Novel format.

Then again, I do wonder how Zenkichi turned from that cheery optimist to the Cynic.

But I still think that the Manga is hinting at a world after High School, a larger world where I really wonder how Abnormals function, fit in and operate in society? If the bulk of those in leadership positions in the adult world of Medaka Box happens to be Specials and Abnormals....

There are very strong hints after all that Medaka is fully aware that the status quo as it is is only transitory. Does this suggest that Nisio has several ideas for a Post-High School set of stories following an adult Medaka and Zenkichi, perhaps in a more Seinen setting? If so, I'd imagine they'd take the shape of full scale novels, rather than manga, because any story centered around political and business intrigues probably work far far better as a book, than drawn, especially to a Shouen demographic.

I wonder whether one of the objectives of Haiknowa Academy is to serve as a Special/Abnormal Training Facility. It's implied, very strongly, IMO, in the Flask Plan arc. You know, I seriously suspect that an epilogue to the Medaka Box manga might quite easily end with a teasing suggestion that Medaka took a seat among the board of directors of the Academy, and Flask Plan, to keep an eye over it and ensure that certain ethic lines aren't crossed.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 05:35   Link #8245
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post

Haha, that they are prequels set in middle school is a presupposition I've made based on a cover image. However, the novels themselves (as part of a Medaka Box novel project) have been mentioned in this thread before.

lol, well for information's sake, here's the cover which was posted:

I think CxC translated the title names from one of the informational pages during one of the magazine chapters previously; in any case the title has been recorded on the Medaka Box wiki as Kuguhara Messhi’s Ravenous Rule and Naginora Sanagi’s Forced Vote, due to release on May 2nd.

The second novel, pardon my earlier statements, is actually due to release on June 4th, and hasn't had it's cover released yet. So yeah, I'll amend my supposition to only the first is presumed to be about middle school thus far.
Old 2012-04-25, 06:13   Link #8246
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Haha, that they are prequels set in middle school is a presupposition I've made based on a cover image. However, the novels themselves (as part of a Medaka Box novel project) have been mentioned in this thread before.

lol, well for information's sake, here's the cover which was posted:

I think CxC translated the title names from one of the informational pages during one of the magazine chapters previously; in any case the title has been recorded on the Medaka Box wiki as Kuguhara Messhi’s Ravenous Rule and Naginora Sanagi’s Forced Vote, due to release on May 2nd.

The second novel, pardon my earlier statements, is actually due to release on June 4th, and hasn't had it's cover released yet. So yeah, I'll amend my supposition to only the first is presumed to be about middle school thus far.
So, Medaka is in the background. One of the persons in the foreground then is likely to be Zenkichi- but who is the other girl?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 06:16   Link #8247
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

pretty sure that is not zenkichi. Kuguhara Messhi and Naginora Sanagi maybe

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 07:51   Link #8248
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
So, Medaka is in the background. One of the persons in the foreground then is likely to be Zenkichi- but who is the other girl?
We know what Zenkichi looks like. Most likely they're both new characters (although the guy on the right is not dissimilar to Kumagawa when he's not acting cool).
Old 2012-04-25, 08:35   Link #8249
FFXFan13
Swag Level: Glasses

The girl looks a bit like Medaka, just with brown hair and no ahoge... Actually, given their appearances, in comparison to the Medaka in the back, I'd assume the two of them are likely to be Teachers.
FFXFan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 11:22   Link #8250
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

well as you can see the artist have same face suyndrome

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 12:28   Link #8251
[HearT]

That's the highschool uniform tho :x so I'm not so sure it takes place in junior high~
[HearT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 12:50   Link #8252
Sol Falling

Hmm, I guess so. I was thinking pigtails Medaka was only in Junior High but it seems she also had that hairstyle during spring before she became the SC president.

In that case, first Student Council election arc? I suppose. If the two new characters are teachers then perhaps that will explain why we haven't seen them in the story before.
Old 2012-04-25, 12:54   Link #8253
[HearT]

it'd be cool if they were teachers, we haven't seen any adults in this series save for the headmaster and zenkichi's mother (who doesn't really count since she looks 9 >.> )
[HearT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 00:50   Link #8254
FFXFan13
Swag Level: Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by [HearT] View Post
it'd be cool if they were teachers, we haven't seen any adults in this series save for the headmaster and zenkichi's mother (who doesn't really count since she looks 9 >.> )
...I actually hadn't noticed that, til you pointed it out
FFXFan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 13:43   Link #8255
Cruor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
As far as I know, the only Zaregoto character who can survive Anshinin is Crystal Kaiser, due to his nature of not losing no matter what happen, even if he can't win.
But then, it is arguable that his not losing nature is not going to apply if Anshinin uses 神の視点.
But I can't see anyone beating her. Orange Seed reign at the top in Zaregoto verse in terms of actual power, and I don't think she can even beat Misogi.
Well, I'd certainly argue that Orange Violence (and in extension Overkill Dread) could prolly beat Misogi considering how amazed everyone was when watching Medaka beat the entire school in a tug o' war but yeah lets stop now we're stepping too far in that direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Speaking of which, did we ever learn more about Kumugawa's 'trump card', 'that child', which Naze referred to when she saw the list of Minus's transferring over?
Nisio will obviously end the manga randomly only to make a dictionary saying there were actually two different stories going on during that fight which is the reason that Child never appeared. Yes he's done this.

But yeah, I always thought 'that child' implied someone else besides the Delayed Two. Which is why I've been waiting to see where he would go with it but never did anything with it >_>

I actually thought it was Kamome when he was first introduced but it quickly turned out that was not the case.
Cruor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 02:14   Link #8256
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Huh. Early this time.

Spoiler for 144:

I heard a rumor that Nisio himself is leaking them... As an aside, Torai's first name is apparently "Kudaki".

Also, from the light novel...

Spoiler for seems Aka lives up to her name:

That's all of that for now, but there will almost definitely be more.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 02:31   Link #8257
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Damn, I justg love this new student council ! All of them are great but not overpowered as Medaka. And the girl seems top be a martial artist
Old 2012-04-28, 04:02   Link #8258
Clarste
Human

Spoiler for 144:
Old 2012-04-28, 06:33   Link #8259
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Huh. Early this time.

Spoiler for 144:

I heard a rumor that Nisio himself is leaking them... As an aside, Torai's first name is apparently "Kudaki".

Also, from the light novel...

Spoiler for seems Aka lives up to her name:

That's all of that for now, but there will almost definitely be more.
Light Novel? You mean a Medaka Box LN?
Old 2012-04-28, 07:55   Link #8260
Homura7

And someone said the new girl in the student council was there just to fill up the General Affairs Manager place.

Oh, Nishio, no one, absolutely no one can predict you
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council