AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-12-01, 14:57   Link #61
Theowne
耳をすませば

Here the big shopping day is "Boxing Day", which is after Christmas, when all the stores have to get rid of all their leftover Christmas inventory, so at least the cheap prices make sense....what's the reason for "Black Friday"?

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 15:29   Link #62
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

The black Friday is the day when shop start to make profit, or at least it what I readed.
Old 2008-12-01, 16:27   Link #63
BOOKGLUTTON
;;'

I stayed in. i already have a mountain of rep codes and discounts available to me.
BOOKGLUTTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 16:34   Link #64
u43368
Disabled By Request

I just got a 4gb memory stick duo for $18 and RSV2 for $20. I don't plan on buying anything big (like a laptop) until after Christmas.
u43368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 16:35   Link #65
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Just a question: Has these accidents of stampede occurred every year at this event or was this a one-time happening? I mean, if accidents happen during these events, someone must recognize they need a reinforce of security.

And just as a small note, I'm getting scared when people actually accidently kill other people over things they can buy for a lesser price. They didn't notice they stepped on a flesh floor?

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 17:42   Link #66
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That says that even those who may have noticed and yelled were being ignored in the crazed frenzy of the mob with those behind pushing those in front. Crowd psychology is an awful thing... I kind of wonder what each individual person who stepped on him is thinking today....

This does happen occasionally at any highly hyped sales event --- it boils back to store management wanting to make money more than wanting to hire enough security to keep the patrons safe. There's a science to crowd management so its not like management can play dumb. This isn't just a holiday sales phenom, tragedies have occurred anytime/place.... soccer games where fans get out of hand are the same sort of manifestation.

Black Friday is the first day since Jan 1 that many store retailers begin to show a profit -- hence the name as in "we're in the black" (ledgers are usually written with negative numbers in red, positive in black).
Old 2008-12-01, 19:51   Link #67
OMchan
オムちゃん

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasuma View Post
For the uninitiated, black friday traditionally is the 1st day of Xmas shopping in US. Retailers usually have a couple deep discount items to lure shoppers into shopping spirit. Overtime, this became more and more of a herd mentality as shoppers go for the best deal.

Spoiler for saving space:
Holy crap! This makes Boxing Day shopping here seem tamed and civilized.

Ever since I heard about the Wal-Mart employee being trampled to death by shoppers, I wondered how the heck something like that can happen. Now I know. o.o;;

Kimi ni Todoke
OMchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 20:05   Link #68
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

One of the differnce with the BoxingDay, is than the Boxing day is after Xmas.
Usualy, peoples have less money to spend when they had to buy so much gifts.
Old 2008-12-01, 21:53   Link #69
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Black Friday: Consumerism at its worst. >_>;; I decided to be adventurous and try out a nearby Best Buy with some friends last year, and nothing was really worth it for any of us. This year I stayed in and got a Wacom tablet on Newegg for 20% off. That's really fine enough.

The Wal-Mart incident was avoidable and probably just unfortunate (the guy apparently was walking directly in front of the door when it broke down), and methinks the security personnel were cut back to save money.

It gives me chills to remember how just a year ago this was a joke used on television ads. I vaguely remember one that showed a bunch of grim staffers handing off the key to the storefront to one unfortunate colleague, patting his back and wishing him luck as they left. The man then turns in disbelief to look at the voracious crowd grappling and screaming at the windows outside, his only assurance being a nearby ambulance and crew unloading and preparing his stretcher.

After reading that news I looked on Wikipedia back at all those crowd crushes and stampede accidents. Never let people have only one clear goal on their minds, whether it be cheap presents or a clear view in the stadium, lest they become entirely irrational.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 21:57   Link #70
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Methinks the security personnel were cut back to save money.
They bother themself with Security personel? Others than the guys looking to the security camera.
Old 2008-12-01, 22:01   Link #71
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
They bother themself with Security personel? Others than the guys looking to the security camera.
Security cameras are security theater for managers anyway, just as guards are just security theater for the crowds.

What they probably should have done is close for Thanksgiving, because nobody freaking shops then when the real deals come the day after, logically, and use that day to erect barricades and rearrange the place just for the imminent chaos. Maybe with a wide, clear avenue running towards the TVs and game consoles and whatnot. IKEA store layouts come to mind.

I mean, if you can get the crowd to move faster, you'd logically get more sales done. They're just lazy as hell (or short on money) at this point.
Old 2008-12-01, 22:12   Link #72
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Lets see...

Rurouni Kenshin Season 1/2 boxset (season 3 was not worth it)
The RK movie boxset
Tekknoman Blade complete series vol. 1-3
Giant Robo- complete series
Under $100

Games wise:
Naruto Ultimate Ninja for PS3
The Last Renmant
Valkyria Chronicles

all: $120

As for the Walmart incident, it was bound to happen, damn near every year there's a trample issue. Raffle tickets and item specific lines should be manditory, but hey its Walmart, they never care.

So all in all I came out like a thief in the night.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 22:36   Link #73
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I had a great Black Friday, my best deal I got was what usually would be a $150 official Milwaukee Brewers winter jacket for $45. Its of the same exact quality an style as the jackets the actual team wears during games. As for other stuff I bought myself.

G Gundam complete collection II
Pure game for PS3
Mobile Suit Gundam movie collection
3:10 to Yuma DVD

A bunch of books
Chibi Vampire novel 1
Gold Digger pocket manga 2 and 3
The Romance of King Arthur and his Knights of the round table
Fate/Stay Night manga 1
The Wanting Seed

And another suprised awaited me later as my replica sword of the First Knight of the Templar arrived at my house.

Lucky day.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 02:26   Link #74
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Security cameras are security theater for managers anyway, just as guards are just security theater for the crowds.

What they probably should have done is close for Thanksgiving, because nobody freaking shops then when the real deals come the day after, logically, and use that day to erect barricades and rearrange the place just for the imminent chaos. Maybe with a wide, clear avenue running towards the TVs and game consoles and whatnot. IKEA store layouts come to mind.

I mean, if you can get the crowd to move faster, you'd logically get more sales done. They're just lazy as hell (or short on money) at this point.
I actually agree. You know, they should just book an expo hall for their Xmas sales. Then there's more space. That's what's being done in Singapore, Malaysia and South Korea.
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 04:36   Link #75
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyon.haruhi.suzumiya View Post
I actually agree. You know, they should just book an expo hall for their Xmas sales. Then there's more space. That's what's being done in Singapore, Malaysia and South Korea.
THere would be at least 2 problem; booking a expo hall cost money ( and ythey are already paying for their curent ''room''), and they will neeed more expo hall thean they have already.
Old 2008-12-02, 05:12   Link #76
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
A lot of department stores are already expo-hall-sized. They just have one giant three-story-high warehouse with only one floor. I shudder to think of a bigger single store than those Walmart Supercenters.

I've been to shopping fairs in Hong Kong, and I won't vouch for whether it's less painful to be crushed there than in the US. At least the people there are used to taking minutes to move meters in crowds.
Old 2008-12-02, 05:28   Link #77
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
A lot of department stores are already expo-hall-sized. They just have one giant three-story-high warehouse with only one floor. I shudder to think of a bigger single store than those Walmart Supercenters.

I've been to shopping fairs in Hong Kong, and I won't vouch for whether it's less painful to be crushed there than in the US. At least the people there are used to taking minutes to move meters in crowds.
Well, an Expo hall means less pillars and walls, so less people get crushed. Then again, I get your point, the IKEA in Tampines, Singapore is larger than a usual expo hall but it can still be packed. At least, in Singapore, you won't get trampled to death.
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 07:50   Link #78
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
At least, in Singapore, you won't get trampled to death.
As much as I know it was the first time it happened in a store.
Old 2008-12-02, 13:01   Link #79
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

About the stampeed at the walmart, I just finded a chronicle from Pierre Foglia From the newspaper '' La Presse'' ,I did wonder if it was more appropriate to post it in this treat or the '' A laugh a day''. ( sorry it's in french)
Spoiler for Saving space and text in french:
Old 2008-12-02, 15:11   Link #80
Rubylight

I didn't do any shopping for this year's Black Friday.
Last year though, I went in the afternoon, to avoid the big crowds.
Even then, it was still crowded. lol
Rubylight is offline   Reply With Quote